PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Robinsons Discussion [Merged]

Christine
03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I just finished reading a brief synopsis of "Meet the Robinsons", and I have to say that I may not be going to see this one.

"Based on William Joyce's book "A Day with Wilbur Robinson," this comedic-adventure follows Lewis, a brilliant twelve-year-old with a surprising number of clever inventions to his credit. His latest and most ambitious project is the Memory Scanner, which he hopes will retrieve early memories of his mother and maybe even reveal why she put him up for adoption. But before he can get his answer, his invention is stolen by the dastardly Bowler Hat Guy and his diabolical hat - and constant companion - Doris.

Lewis has all but given up hope in his future when a mysterious boy named Wilbur Robinson whisks our bewildered hero away in a time machine and travel forward in time to spend a day with Wilbur's eccentric family. In a world filled with flying cars and floating cities, they hunt down Bowler Hat Guy, save the future and uncover the amazing secret of the Robinson family."

As an adoptive parent, I refuse to take my child to a movie that could prove to be upsetting to her, and I also am upset for birth parents "getting a guilt trip" so to speak for doing what they truly believe is best for their child.

I know some may think I am being too sensitive about a cartoon movie, but in the life of a young child, cartoon movies ARE reality.

conorsmom2000
03-08-2007, 09:28 AM
You know, I was just going to post today to see if anyone knew what this movie was about - Conor's birthday is March 31st and he wanted to do a movie theater party (where you have a private showing of a movie) and this was the movie the theater would have for us. I didn't really know anything about it and being the average age of the child is 7, I didn't know if it was geared towards them. Now, I'm a little unsure of what to do as I would hate for anyone to be upset by this.

Christine, I can understand why you'd be upset by this. Hopefully the message is much more positive than it might appear. Honestly, though, I'm not sure what to do now. :confused:

Christine
03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Jen, if I find out any more about the movie, I will pass it on to you. I think my main concern stems from when we saw "Country Bears" and "Snow Dogs" on the Disney Channel.

Both movies dealt with a child (one was grown, one was a bear;) ) that somehow regretted being adopted, and their struggle to "find out who they really are".

Yes, both movies ended up "happy" in that they blended both of their family backgrounds together, but my daughter was very worried as to why they were portrayed like "something was wrong" with being adopted. And blending her families is NOT an option here.

Again, I don't mean to hyper-analyze a cartoon to death, but I just wonder, why do they even have to go there???

offwego
03-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, both movies ended up "happy" in that they blended both of their family backgrounds together, but my daughter was very worried as to why they were portrayed like "something was wrong" with being adopted. And blending her families is NOT an option here.

Again, I don't mean to hyper-analyze a cartoon to death, but I just wonder, why do they even have to go there???

Christine (at the risk of going a little off the topic of the movie) do you think it may have something to do with the trend (newish) around open adoptions or birth parents providing more info on the "why" to adopting families then was common in the past?

I know my best friends brother doesn't feel compeled to find his birth parents (he's adopted she's not) as they both wrote letters to him explaining their choice and why etc so he claims he doesn't feel any need to find out anything more than what they wanted to tell him. Previously most adoptions were so closed that the children didn't know anything making it more of a looming question perhaps? Without any information I guess there was more room for artistic fantasy. (after all step-mom's aren't all pushing nasty apples either)

I don't think your being senstive at all however!It's a great thing to find out more about what we expose our kids to!!:thumbsup:

PirateLover
03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
I can understand where you are coming from, but if you really look at the whole picture almost every fairytale/Disney movie has some kind of parental issues going on. The plot description you shared does not say that he was necessarily unhappy with his adoptive family, just that he wants to find his real parents. And most adopted children eventually do want to find their parents and it doesn't mean that they don't care for their adoptive parents. In fact last year VH1 ran a special last year called "My Adoption Journey" in which middle aged Darryl "DMC" McDaniels searches for his birth mother. He realized that he never would've had the life and success that he achieved had he stayed with his birth mom but he still had that desire to find her and it ended happily, with everyone getting along. If this can never be the case with your daughter than you just have to be honest with her and explain things to her. If she can't handle it yet, than maybe you are right to stay away, but without a more detailed description or having seen the movie, I am not ready to condemn Disney just yet.

Christine
03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
The plot description you shared does not say that he was necessarily unhappy with his adoptive family, just that he wants to find his real parents.

Just FYI, adoptive parents are real.

And I hope it did not appear that I was asking for anyone to condemn Disney for making this film.

I hope you enjoy the show!:mickey:

PirateLover
03-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Just FYI, adoptive parents are real.
I think you know what I meant. I have plenty of respect and admiration for adoptive parents. I myself have considered adopting children in the future. I had 3 friends in high school who were adopted. But it is a reality that many adopted children at some point start to ask questions about their birth parents and some go on to seek them out, and this is not necessarily because they resent their adoptive parents or are not happy with them. It is just human curiosity and the desire to know where you came from and why things happened the way they did. It is not always a negative thing, and to me it isn't clear how Meet the Robinsons is portraying the situation. That is all I was pointing out.

Jessie
03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I can totally understand why you personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking your child to see this film, but I also think in the general sense, it's just exploring another part of life and the thoughts some people may have. I'm sure not all adopted children want to seek out their birth parents, but I suppose for those that have and are curious, it will hit home with them and it may have a very positive ending.

:hug: I am sure it is a sensitive subject for you. Maybe you can watch it first and then see if it's something you'd be okay with?

ETA: For clarification, I don't think the film in and of itself is negative for taking on this subject in this way, but I also totally sympathize with your feelings on it.

Carol
03-08-2007, 10:09 PM
As the Mom of 2 adopted sons - I totally understand, Christine. :hug:

murphy1
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
My sister adopted as well. My kids aren't even interested in this one at all. I will have to pass that one to my sis.

Kingmob31
03-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I found some mor einformation on another web site that might help you decide wheter or not to see the movie.
First, the director, Steve Anderson, was adopted himself.

Second, this part may be considered a SPOILER, so :spoiler: :

this movie about Lewis, the main character Lewis, who is focusing on the past, and he's wondering, why did his mom give me up? And he wants to focus on his past, but this focus actually takes him to the future, where he meets this amazing, crazy, wonderful, appealing group of characters that actually turns out to be his future family.

And he learns through this experience to look forward in life, not to look back. And this story, it's Steve's story. :)

Hopefully, this will help in your decision.

January-2007
03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow. That is rough. If I were in your situation I think I would feel really uncomfortable having my daughter go see the movie and then be all confused about why she isn't looking for other parents and wow. You are her mom. I guess I wouldn't have thought about it so deeply, but it is a really serious thing, if a child is watching something like this and then starts to wonder if they're ok. I am really drawn to this movie because they have Space Mountain in "Todayland" and the dinasour with the "huge head! tiny arms!" looks so funny to me. But I'm not in your situation. I don't have any children yet to protect. I am glad that you protect your child so well by checking things out before you expose them to her. This is just not something a 7 year old needs to think about.

MsMin
03-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Roughly the way it was explained to us last year was that the boy goes into the future and finds he fits there and the boy from the future finds he fits in the past.
I have spent hours looking into Disney movies b/c we use them for therapy and when we do we have to have a "lesson" kids in group therapy can't just enjoy the movie it has to make a point to help many stuggling w/ issues of abandonment and loss.
When I went to the seminar last year at the Red Stick Animation Festival and listend to the artist describe how important it was to have the characters express the appropriate emotions I was surprised they didn't use anyone in mental health to keep them on track as personality clusters have specific traits that cluster.
I think that many artists are very intuitive and introspective naturally and Disney has an excellent history with making movies express the appropriate emotional components.
I trust/hope they will handle this in a very sensitive way as they have with issues in other movies.
I do agree w/ your concern b/c it is a very fragile issue and one that should not promote fantasy that could be hurtful. Having experience with the issue yourself is not justification for all truth. So many situations are different.
I hesitate to say too much b/c while for one child something may work (connecting w/ the past or looking) it's horribly wrong for another.

I plan to see the movie, and now it's a must since I have to know if it contains an appropriate theme or storyline for some kids. I can't promise I can fully analyze it b/c it takes me hours w/ the movie usually on DVD so that I can stop, take notes review etc. I can give you my opinion but b/c of the variance w/ different children's needs I don't know that I can give blanket feedback.
I would definitely wait before going to see it.

Bless all the loving mothers who have found room in their hearts and homes for children in their time of need and know that your love has made permanent impression on their hearts.

NASCARVW
03-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Anyone else going to Pleasure Island tonight for the premiere of Meet The Robinsons?
I'll be heading over that way for the 7:30 showing in Disney Digital 3D.
Should be pretty good.
:)

McLiberal8
03-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Does anybody know a place that lists all the theaters that are playing Meet the Robinsons (the 3D version)? I want to see it tonight, but I would rather see it in 3D! :)

Mufasa
03-30-2007, 09:13 PM
The easiest way to find which theaters are showing Meet the Robinsons in 3D is to check the REAL D website:

http://www.reald.com

there you can enter in your zip code and find REAL D equipped theaters in your area.

Meet the Robinsons is only showing in Disney Digital 3D (aka the REAL D process)- you won't find it in IMAX-3D.

It's a good idea to verify with the theater as several theaters may be showing Meet the Robinsons on multiple screens, but only have 1 theater in their complex equipped to show it in 3D (when you book your ticket look for it to say REAL D or Disney Digital 3D in the listings).

KathyMO
03-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Below is a link to the official website. In the top right hand side click on get tickets. It will show which theaters will be showing it in 3D with a 3D symbol at the end of the theater listing.

Kathy

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/meettherobinsons/

Mufasa
03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
If you have an opportunity to see Meet the Robinsons in 3D, then I'd recommend you take advantage of it because the difference with Meet the Robinsons from Chicken Little is that the 3D process was taken into consideration during the creative development of Meet the Robinsons at a much earlier point in the process than Chicken Little.

From the beginning with Meet the Robinsons the idea was to use 3D to advance the story telling and they actually art-directed the use of 3D (through what they call a "depth script")- they knew what the confines were of how much 3D they could apply to a scene and used that as a dramatic element.

Chicken Little and Nightmare before Christmas in 3D were more about just adding some depth and dimension to the scenes after the fact- maybe enhancing the realism, but now filmmakers are opening things up and thinking about how they can fully use 3D (while not resorting to those cheap, cliche sight gags).

It's really a fascinating process of taking a film and turning it into 3D. This time around, Disney enlisted Digital Domain to produce the color right-eye images (because of the number of scenes and complexity of some shots basically Feature Animation's computer systems were busy rendering the 2D or left-eye images and we had no capacity to do the rendering of the right-eye effects so those were farmed out to Digital Domain)- in effect you're really working on two versions of the movie at the same time.

ElenitaB
03-30-2007, 10:03 PM
My son had a half-day at school today so we took advantage of the free time and saw MTR this afternoon and really, really liked it! The 3D was seamless! And there are some nice surprises before and at the very end of the movie... I must admit that I got pretty choked up at the end (I know... I'm a dork :blush: ).

KathyMO
03-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the information Mufasa. It sounds great. We plan on seeing it in 3D tomorrow.

Kathy

DisneyGiant
03-30-2007, 10:35 PM
My son had a half-day at school today so we took advantage of the free time and saw MTR this afternoon and really, really liked it! The 3D was seamless! And there are some nice surprises before and at the very end of the movie... I must admit that I got pretty choked up at the end (I know... I'm a dork :blush: ).

OMG me too! Didn't see it in 3-D - but I thought it was so cute. I loved how the little guy turned out! I cried!!!!

And again - one of those things, where I can't even imagine orphanages, with kids never finding a family........ I know today's foster care system isn't the best - but doesn't it beat institutionalized care for children?

I also liked how they showed how a villain was made (similar to how they did it in The Incredibles, but with a twist!).

We saw it with a lot of kids - and one Mom actually yelled out at the end - "Encore, Bravo!" And the kids clapped and cheered. I love when a movie moves people like that!

My two nephews ages 9 & 5 loved it ...... I would pay to see it again before the DVD - I think I may have missed some dialogue. The future family is a little odd, and in watching the oddity - some lines could have been easily missed!

I highly recommend this one!:thumbsup:

Christine
03-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I can't believe our hokey, hickabilly, podunk town is showing MTR in 3D! I will definitely have to check this out!

cubbie
03-31-2007, 01:21 AM
In Omaha, it's playing in 3D at Village Pointe Cinema. It's the best theatre in town, and this just adds to it.

McLiberal8
03-31-2007, 01:27 AM
In Omaha, it's playing in 3D at Village Pointe Cinema. It's the best theatre in town, and this just adds to it.

Cubbie-

I just saw it at Village Pointe and it wasn;t in 3D :( Just a heads up. Still an amazing movie though!

McLiberal8
03-31-2007, 01:33 AM
I just saw Meet the Robinsons and let me just say I was blown away.
The tingles I get at WDW? I got at this movie! :popcorn:
I won't try to spoil anything!

~The fact that they play an old Mickey Mouse cartoon at the beginning was a great idea. I enjoyed seeing Mickey, Donald, and Goofy on the big screen, as well as the fact that this little cartoon might re-introduce a whole new generation to 'the gang'.

~The Disney nods! The topiaries in the Robinson's yard (the teapot with teacups is the Teacup ride!) and the 'Todayland' they pass. Also, I spotted a Hidden Mickey behind the mom Robinson when she is telling Louis that she is 'always right'. Look for it :mickey3:

~Bring kleenex for the end. The nod to Walt is a tearjerker :cry:

Anyone else have any imput on the movie?

TinkRocks
03-31-2007, 04:51 AM
I'm hoping to see the movie this weekend, and after reading your post, am soooo excited to see it!

Jeri
03-31-2007, 11:24 AM
We saw it yesterday too. I am so glad other people got choked up at the end too. :crying: I told my husband that I teared up alittle at the end and he looked at me like I was nuts.:blush:

I thought they did a good job with the orphanage, and not making it a bad place with mean people working there. I though they made it seem like a loving place where they were treated well.

I will be buying this one as soon as it comes out on DVD.:thumbsup:

NotaGeek
03-31-2007, 12:43 PM
And again - one of those things, where I can't even imagine orphanages, with kids never finding a family........ I know today's foster care system isn't the best - but doesn't it beat institutionalized care for children?

:offtopic:

MODERATOR ALERT

Let's not turn this thread into a discussion of children's well being in the social system please. While I am sure everyone has their own opinion, let's keep this focused on Meet the Robinsons! Thank you, and now back to the fun...

cubbie
03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Cubbie-

I just saw it at Village Pointe and it wasn;t in 3D :( Just a heads up. Still an amazing movie though!

That's a bummer. They told me that they would have it in 3-D. I'll still have to see it though. It looks pretty darn good.

angel8783
03-31-2007, 04:11 PM
I loved this movie!! Definently felt the Disney magic on this one! We are going back tonight to see it again. It is really awesome in 3D and totally worth the money!

kakn7294
03-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Just got back! We took DD and her friends for her birthday. Unfortunately, we didn't see the 3D version but I was still pleasantly surprised. It was much better than I expected! I missed that particular Hidden Mickey that the OP described, but the topiary archway to the Robinson estate has an upsidedown Hidden Mickey!

DisneyGiant
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
:offtopic:

MODERATOR ALERT

Let's not turn this thread into a discussion of children's well being in the social system please. While I am sure everyone has their own opinion, let's keep this focused on Meet the Robinsons! Thank you, and now back to the fun...

Sorry - didn't mean to do that - it was just an observation I had fresh from the movie. :blush:

NotaGeek
03-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Sorry - didn't mean to do that - it was just an observation I had fresh from the movie. :blush:

Not a problem, and it wasn't directed only to you, it was just a friendly reminder! :thumbsup:

I am going to see the movie tomorrow!! :mickey:

Splash_Lover
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Loved the movie in 3D. I loved how it looked like it was raining in the theater when it rained in the movie. I also loved the ending and the finally quote at the end. Even if you have already seen it without the 3D, it is worth going back again to see the Working for peanuts short movie in 3D. That was fantastic.My 4 yr old laughed so hard at the dinasaur and at the penut butter and jelly scenes.

Speedy1998
03-31-2007, 11:00 PM
Thought it was great. Loved the fact that Disney is trying to reintroduce a new generation to what started it all.

tundramom
03-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Saw it opening night- about 1/3 of the way through they almost lost me, things seemed pretty bizarre and disjointed. But, I loved the way they tied it all in at the end. And, I admit it I boohooed too!

conorsmom2000
04-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the great reviews! :mickey: We did end up booking this movie for Conor's party next weekend - I was a little unsure, but he really, really wanted to see it! I'm really looking forward to it now! :thumbsup:

disneygeek18
04-01-2007, 10:39 AM
I also LOVED this movie...thought it was a giant forward for Disney and their new way of animation, while it would have been even better w/ some music, I loved the characters, loved the way the story tied together and I loved the use of Walt Disney's quote.

Christine
04-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Just got back from seeing it (in 3D).

First of all, the previews to U2 3D were GREAT!!! Bono and The Edge right in my face! I was a happy camper!

I absolutely LOVED seeing "Working for Peanuts"...I agree that it is a wonderful thing to share a true classic with this generation!

I too appreciated the nods and tributes to Walt Disney!

As for the story itself...

I think it is a HUGE thing for a child to wrap their mind around. Both the issues of adoption and birthmothers, and following who's who in the time travel. (I will admit I found myself thinking :confused: a time or two):secret:

I found the futuristic stuff really out there...but I have never been accused of having the best, most vivid imagination, so that may just be me. It was very "Incredibles"-ish to me. From time to time I had to ask myself what all that nonsense had to do with the movie?? The puppet wife, the spaghetti and meatballs??? Huh???:confused:

Did I hate it, no. It had some cute parts and the story tied up nicely.

Did I love it, not so much. Can't imagine going to see it again or buying the DVD.

Just my opinion...

wendy*darling
04-01-2007, 06:51 PM
DH, DS16 and I went to see it this afternoon in a regular theater.
We really enjoyed seeing the old MM cartoon at the beginning- and I loved hearing the little kids giggling at Mickey, Donald and Goofy- Walt Disney's legacy remains strong!
We all thought this was a great movie. I must admit I was getting a little antsy about halfway through, but they brought it all to a great conclusion. I did see a couple parents & their kids (about 3-4 year old range) leaving early. Both parents were trying to get them to stay, but I don't think there was enough to hold their attention throughout.

I missed the Hidden Mickeys- guess I will just have to get the DVD. We did love the Todayland sign! I tried to stay for all of the credits, but they cut them off early! Did I miss anything?

Great movie- lots of fun stuff woven all the way through.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from our family.

KathyMO
04-01-2007, 07:13 PM
We went to see it in 3D at a theater in Memphis, TN this weekend. We really enjoyed the movie. If you can see it 3D make sure you go.

Kathy

NJDad
04-01-2007, 07:15 PM
So I guess if you see it in 2d, you see a Mickey and Goofy short?

In 3-d, you see a Chip & Dale 3D cartoon from the 50s.

Didn't see the hidden mickeys, but saw weathered "Jungle Book" and "Toy Story" signs on the fence of the baseball field. So those who see it can check to see how many others were out there.

Didn't see a U2 trailer, but the "Nightmare before Christmas" 3d trailer had some of us ready to check that out.

Oh, the movie. Not the best ever, but it was fun. Wouldn't mind seeing it again if the 5 year old demands it, but wouldn't watch it too many times.

Would have loved to have seen "Incredibles" in this format!

mmouse566
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
We saw the 3D version opening night. I wish they had a different cartoon then the one they have at Disney that plays every 2 hours on the "secret" channel. I thought the movie was bizarre but cute. Loved the scenic references to Disney World and the quote at the end made this sentimental Disney fool tear up. And no, there was nothing you missed if you didn't get to see the credits. We stuck till the very end and all they had were the characters popping through at times.

Brian
04-01-2007, 11:46 PM
The short at the beginning of the movie at our showing (2D) was "Boat Builders". (I believe that was the title.) It revolved around Mickey, Donald, and Goofy building their own boat.

Although the movie was good, the classic short before the movie and the quote at the end are what made things great for me.

cmthct
04-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Meet the Robinsons was AWESOME.
WAY TO GO DISNEY:thumbsup:
For true Walt Disney fans, the quote at the end brings a tear, and the audience seemed to love the 3D. Our audience also clapped at the end, which is great, can't wait for the DVD and the next one. This movie was a thousand times better than I expected :thumbsup:

Kristi Kay
04-02-2007, 07:05 PM
For all of you that have seen Meet the Robinsons, I want to know your opinions. I, personally, thought it was fantastic! It was interesting and I love how it built up and was all tied together at the very end....then when they threw in the quote from Walt and how they integrated his "keep moving forward" philosophy in there...I thought was great! I also loved how they threw in little pieces of the parks in. Like the booths at the restaurant with the castle, how the modern world kind of resembled parks of MGM on on on....I give the movie two thumbs up!

Wolf
04-02-2007, 08:06 PM
I loved it! Even my boyfriend who is a WDW freak in training liked it. The quote by Walt at the end made me tear up abit. Just cause I miss WDW real bad lately. Two thumbs up here too!:mickey:

HndrdPrcnt
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Not quite agreeing with the previous posters. I would have to say that this was one of my least favorite Disney movies in some time.:(

ElenitaB
04-02-2007, 11:12 PM
The quote by Walt at the end made me tear up abit. Just cause I miss WDW real bad lately. Two thumbs up here too!:mickey:
Oh good... I'm not the only one! :blush:

I liked the movie (even though I fell asleep for a little bit due to fatigue caused by medical treatment) quite a lot... and was intrigued by the way they worked in the issue of family. It was not the movie I expected but I enjoyed it for what it was! I also give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh, and the 3D was amazing!

Wolf
04-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Grr I wish I could see in in 3-d we had to see in the regular theatre cause my astigmatism stops me from seeing 3d properly LOL just dont tell mom, she doesnt know I cant ever see Philharmagic correctly :blush:

ASweetLov
04-02-2007, 11:51 PM
I went on Sunday with my best friend Melissa(we are both 23:blush: ) and we watched it in 3D. WE loved the Chip 'n' Dale cartoon before the movie and the movie was incredible. We were both crying like babies at the end and I even cried more when I saw the quote from Walt Disney. I would pay to see it again:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
*cant wait for the DVD:mickey: *

Kristi Kay
04-04-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who cried at this movie! I think I'm going to go see it again tonight!

Kenny1113
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Too bad I missed it in 3D. I thought it was hilarious...DH and I were laughing through the "bizzare";) parts. My DS loves the signing frogs

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
04-06-2007, 07:33 AM
:twocents:
Ok. Saw this on Monday. Really did not enjoy it. Visually it was stunning in Disney 3D. That is the best thing I can say about it.

Honestly I think it goes back to Disney's dark years of animation (Black Cauldron). It actually bothered me that this went out with the Disney name on it. I found myself physically squirming in my chair at some points in the movie. Just wanted to get up and leave. Would have had it not been for my friend.

I was also saddened by the fact that I chuckled more at the cartoon in front of the "feature presentation", and that was made 50 years ago. Sigh

Ok. Hope I am not the only one who feels this way.

Christine
04-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Ok. Hope I am not the only one who feels this way.

I assure you, you are not!

Marker
04-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Just got home, saw the moving in 3-D.... and we loved it.

Felt it was a good story, it was funny in many ways. It had humor for all age levels. I loved the way it all comes together in the end. At the very beginning I thought it might end up being a little slow, but very soon we were both laughing out loud.

I also liked the fact that the characters looked like cartoons. Sure, it was all CGI, but they didn't try to make them look like real people. I think cartoon people should look like cartoons.

Can't wait for it to come out on video so I can see it again. I know there are jokes and puns that I missed.

I also really enjoyed the cartoon before the movie. I was amazed at the 3-D that was produced so long ago. I really wish they'd get back to showing cartoons at movies.

mjaclyn
04-07-2007, 09:50 PM
DH and I just returned from seeing this movie. I really loved watching it in 3D (especially the short at the beginning!) but I have to agree that the story wasn't one of my favorites. While I LOVED Toy Story (both 1 and 2), Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles - Meet the Robinson's didn't quite live up to the same standard. I thought the story was too confusing - especially when they tried to introduce all of those characeters at once. I also didn't really like the part about his mom abandoning him - I just had my first DD a few months ago and it broke my heart to think about anyone giving up their baby. Anyway, I'm glad I saw it in 3D but it probably won't be added to my Disney DVD collection.

Clay Ransone
04-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I saw MTR yesterday in 3D. I really enjoyed it. If you have the option to see MTR in 3D it is well worth the effort and extra cost for the glasses. While not the best flick to come out of Walt Disney Feature Animation it is far from the worst. I would give MTR 4 out of 5 stars. The Chip and Dale short before the film really makes makes me want to see WDFA start doing hand drawn animation again in addition to the computer animation they do.

DisneyGiant
04-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Just got home, saw the moving in 3-D.... and we loved it.

I also liked the fact that the characters looked like cartoons. Sure, it was all CGI, but they didn't try to make them look like real people. I think cartoon people should look like cartoons.

Can't wait for it to come out on video so I can see it again. I know there are jokes and puns that I missed.

Good point. I totally agree - they were getting too realistic there for a while.

Maybe we should start a Cartoon People rights group? ;) LOL

conorsmom2000
04-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Well, we saw this on Saturday, but since it was for Conor's birthday party, I can't really give a review as I was up half the time (more juice, more popcorn, telling them to stop throwing popcorn, trips to the bathroom.... :D ) I did tear up at the end and would really love to see it agan (without interruption!) at a 3-D showing! :thumbsup:

Noah's Helper
04-08-2007, 10:07 PM
For some strange reason, I expected this movie to have some similarities to Robinson Crusoe/Swiss Family Robinson/Lost In Space. :crazy:

I found the futuristic stuff really out there...
...From time to time I had to ask myself what all that nonsense had to do with the movie?? The puppet wife, the spaghetti and meatballs??? Huh???:confused:

It was a little odd for me, too. I realize the movie is based on a William Joyce story, and his style was very evident. To me it felt like a William Joyce movie with a little bit of Disney overlay at the beginning and end.

I enjoyed it, but not to the extent I enjoyed any of the Pixar films. My kids (6 and 9) loved it. I thought the 3D was done very well, although my daughter was disappointed there were no "in-your-face" effects.

mac badger
04-09-2007, 11:52 AM
so, so you still wear the glasses for this 3D or is it some new fangled technology?

LibertyTreeGal
04-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Just got back and we loved it. I couldn't believe how many hidden mickeys there were! I'll bet I spotted at least 15, but I wasn't counting so maybe it was less.

Anyway, my kiddos are adopted so we really liked that angle - not to often you see anything positive about adoption or about birthmothers in the media. And they totally understood that the birthmother loved Lewis and that his adoptive family was perfectly designed for him, we had a snuggly moment about all that. :mickey:

And I loved the bit about failure actually being a success! YES!!!!

I was, however, slightly worried that he was going to marry the fire ant sociopath....

That being said, it took me like maybe 20 minutes to figure out who Lewis really was and that the bad guy was Goob...

mickeys_princess_mom
04-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Not quite agreeing with the previous posters. I would have to say that this was one of my least favorite Disney movies in some time.:(

I agree with you a "hundred percent"!;) I went prepared to love it and did NOT. The part that made me squirm was remembering that it was Disney....Best parts were the cartoon at the beginning and the quote at the end. In between we resorted to simply hunting for the hidden Mickeys.... Disappointed.

mac badger
04-11-2007, 10:48 AM
went last night and answered my own question-they give you glasses you get to keep, more like plastic sunglasses than the flimsy ones at the parks. it was great in 3d, especially the chip n dale short at the beginning, i highly recommend it

RedSoxFan
04-14-2007, 10:30 AM
We saw MTR yesterday. It was a great movie. DD laughed throughout the movie.

Melanie
04-15-2007, 05:12 AM
We saw it this afternoon, and overall really enjoyed it. I got a little :dizzy: when Lewis was meeting all the relatives, but I liked the ending and seeing it all come together.

Thought the Tom Selleck connection was very clever, and it was fun looking for the hidden Mickeys. My youngest giggled and giggled at the 'Boat Builders' short, as he's a Goofy fan and Goofy is especially 'goofy' in that one. And I still tear up a bit at the new (well, almost year old) Walt Disney Pictures introduction. Love it!

Jeff
04-15-2007, 08:21 AM
My family saw it yesterday. We thought it was good with several laugh at loud spots.

Not a classic but a good movie.:thumbsup:

Bekka
04-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi!
I haven't been on intercot in a while, but after watching meet the robinsons last night, i had to come and read what everyone is saying.

I thought the movie was great--but the concept phenomenal. It was incredible, the thought that went into the movie. The Mickey Mouse short prior to the start, and the concept of progress was a true tribute to Walt. I had tears!

imaprincess!
04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I mostly enjoyed the movie, though there were some weird spots. After we saw it, I learned it was playing at another theater nearby who had it in 3D, so I may go again. Plus, I made so many popcorn and drink refill runs that I think I missed large chunks of the story.

Katzateer
04-16-2007, 06:54 AM
We enjoyed the movie yesterday. Especially the beginning.

One thing I thought was odd-some adults were laughing during the Mickey cartoon but I didn't hear anything from the kids. Is Mickey just not enough for kids under 10-used to all the high action of todays cartoons?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but our receptionist at work saw it yesterday. She loved it and so did the grandkids. But she wanted to know what the controversy about it was. Apparently there are adoption agencies up in arms about it? That was the first I heard of that. She said everything was portrayed in a positive manner, so she didn't get what the problem was. Can anyone help without starting a big bad discussion? Or even PM me if you know what the controversy was?

LibertyTreeGal
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but our receptionist at work saw it yesterday. She loved it and so did the grandkids. But she wanted to know what the controversy about it was. Apparently there are adoption agencies up in arms about it? That was the first I heard of that. She said everything was portrayed in a positive manner, so she didn't get what the problem was. Can anyone help without starting a big bad discussion? Or even PM me if you know what the controversy was?

Wow, as an adoptive parent of two lovely boys, I cannot imagine what the heartburn is about. Both adoption and birthmothers were portrayed in a positive light. It was obvious that she desperately loved the son she was leaving on the doorstep, and it was also obvious that the adoptive family was a match made in heaven for Lewis. If anything, this is one of the most positive flicks about adoption that I have ever seen. Maybe they are upset about the orphanage? That is how adoptions used to happen back "in the old days." Certainly not anymore, but this is a movie, not a documentary.

Maybe somebody missed snack time ;)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the response. She didn't understand what the problem could be either. It was the first I heard of controversy but maybe it's just in NE?

crazy4disneyworld
04-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Great movie! It was hilarious (my favorite was Bowler Hat Guy), and the story was unique and really charming. I also loved the classic Disney cartoon at the beginning, and the tribute to Walt left me overjoyed as the Disney fanatic that I am.

The movie was great by itself, but the Disney Digital 3D version was spectacular! The 3D is not overpowering, but it gives the movie depth and literally makes you feel surrounded by the action.

LibertyTreeGal
04-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Here is the story about the adoption agencies being upset. Somebody DEFINITELY has too much time on their hands... For the record, my 6 year old adopted sons had this to say at the end of the movie. "That mommy loved her baby just like Momma Stephanie (their wonderful birthmom) loves us, and God found him a family who loves him just like you love us!" Sometimes kids have a much better handle on things than we do. Anyway, here is the story....

Adoption Agency Critical Of New Disney Movie

(WBZ) BOSTON A Waltham adoption agency is recommending parents not bring adopted children to watch the new Disney movie, "Meet the Robinsons."

Vicki Peterson of Wide Horizons For Children is one of many critics who believe the movie is filled with negative adoption messages.

"I found the movie was distorted, unrealistic and innappropriate in terms of the story it tells about adoption," said Peterson.

The movie centers on a boy inventor named Lewis, who was left at an orphanage by his mother when he was an infant. More than 100 families refuse to adopt Lewis, which prompts the boy to invent a time-machine so he can find his biological mother.

"That setup has disturbed hundreds of adoptive parents and their children, stoking abandonment and rejection fears originating from a story that does not accurately reflect how adopted children are placed with families," Adam Pertman of the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute told USA Today.

Disney released the following statement:

"....the heartwarming animated film about a young boy in search of a family to call his own was co-written and directed by Steve Anderson who himself was adopted and drew directly from his own life experience and that of others. Thanks to his intimate understanding of adoption, Steve was able to craft a highly sensitive story that ultimately is about the importance of moving forward in life, no matter what obstacles we may face along the way. This message has resonated with audiences of all backgrounds and all ages, who have given the film high marks."

"Meet the Robinsons" has grossed more than $50 million since its release on March 30.

The movie is based upon the book, "A Day with Wilbur Robinson" by William Joyce.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks TeeDee. I hadn't even heard about the controversy until she mentioned it. It just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time.

DisneyOtaku
04-25-2007, 11:13 PM
There was also controversy about the five-second shot about the "caffine patch"; apparenlty, it was offensive to those who have to use the nicorate patches and the like. *I* just think some people have too much time on their hands and get worked up about every little thing.

I LOVE MTR. I've seen it three times--twice in 3D. Kids at all showings were laughing at the beginning shorts. I HIGHLY recommend going to see the movie twice, because there's little jokes in the beginning that make sense if you know how it turns out already.

And I ALWAYS start crying when the Rob Thomas song starts!

Figgyluv03
05-02-2007, 12:49 PM
My boyfriend just called me and asked me if I wanted to go see a movie tonight. We haven't been to the movies in a really long time, so I choose Meet the Robinsons! Of course, 'cause it's Disney! But we are going to see it in the Digital 3D. Has anyone else see it? What did you think?!

Marker
05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Saw it, loved it. The 3D was awesome too.

DW and I both laughed. We thought it was funny and well done. DW doesn't always "do" animation very well, and she really liked it.

mousaholic
06-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Did anyone ever get their free Meet the Robinson's movie soundtrack from the VISA movie questionnaire?

Eeyore3138
06-03-2007, 06:20 PM
NO! And I completely forgot about it unti I read your post! Where is it????

mousaholic
06-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't know where it is....I think that they said it could take 4-6 weeks but this has been a while! I'm glad to see there is someone else still waiting:mickey:

Speedy1998
06-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I got mine. It came about 5 weeks ago.

Jeri
06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I had forgotten about this too. I wonder when I will get mine. :confused: I hope soon.:(

ElenitaB
06-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Ours came around 3 weeks ago (but then again, we sent it in the first weekend the movie was over).

BTW, the soundtrack has some really wonderful songs on it. We really like it.

DisneyWhirled
06-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Still waiting here!

LauraleeH
06-18-2007, 08:04 AM
I finally got it! I thought they had lost my order. It came the same day as my Disney tickets...very happy! :mickey:
It's a really good soundrack...I was pretty shocked!

mousaholic
06-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I guess there is still hope for me then!!:mickey:

ariel03
06-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Has anyone got their free meet the robinsons soundtrack yet? I remember completing questions to get a free soundtrack and I have yet to still get mine. Anyone know who I can contact to see about getting my cd?

one2goofy
06-20-2007, 04:40 PM
We just got ours last week. I totally forgot about completing the survey! I hope yours comes soon!!

bcornette
06-20-2007, 05:13 PM
We got ours last Friday.
Did yours have a hole in the back of the case?
Looks like a drill or punch was out of sync and punctured a perfect cirsle in corner of the case.
I was wondering if this flaw is why they decided to have such an easy survey for a free soundtrack.

bobpfef
06-20-2007, 05:33 PM
No, they do that so you can't return the CDs to a store.

Kenny1113
06-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Me too!!! I forgot about it! Now I will be on the look out :look:for it in the mail.

J9
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I bought it....I just kinda gave up on it coming. Watch it come tomorrow....hahaha

LarryBoy
07-09-2007, 11:54 AM
We just saw Meet the Robinsons again yesterday and I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie. Does anybody know when it's coming out on DVD? It was probably better the second time around, easier to follow. We will definately own this one. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
It'll be out before Christmas. Disney likes to get double dip with their fliks.

Amazon lists it as an Oct 23rd release date.

Dznygrl79
07-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Girls at the local Disney Store Don't have a date but the guy at FYE said its a late October early November release! I love love love that movie! I gotta see it again soon!

LauraleeH
07-14-2007, 04:09 PM
All of the Disney sites say it will be out October 23rd.

dw2649
07-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Amazon.com also has it listed as an October 23rd, 2007 release. Since amazon.com gets their info directly from Buena Vista Distribution, it is pretty safe to say that October 23rd is probably the release date for the DVD.

Goofster
08-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I watched this on StarzHD this past week for the first time. I thought it was great! Great animation, great story, and a lot of good humor. I thought the "bowler hat" guy as the goofy villain was great. It has definately been added to my list of favorite Disney movies. :number1:Any others out there who liked this movie?

SBETigg
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I haven't seen it yet. My family rented it while I was away on a business trip, and they keep talking about how bad it was! :confused: So I'm not sure I'll see it. They didn't like the plot or storyline. They found it humorless. They didn't even think the animation was up to par. I was really surprised at their strong negative reaction.

Main Street Jim
08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Saw it last night for the first time :) Loved all the park references - "Todayland", Space Mountain, PeopleMover, etc. - and the ending was very moving for me - especially since I *KNEW* that the "Keep Moving Forward" quote came straight from Walt. I had tears in my eyes when the credits rolled :)

Thought it was a cute movie, although a bit "noisy" at times, but still funny and cute!

TheDuckRocks
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I loved it and was a mess at the end when they were using Walt's words.

Goofster
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I haven't seen it yet. My family rented it while I was away on a business trip, and they keep talking about how bad it was! :confused: So I'm not sure I'll see it. They didn't like the plot or storyline. They found it humorless. They didn't even think the animation was up to par. I was really surprised at their strong negative reaction.

That surprises me too. I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it and ended up loving it. The ending was great.

Diznee4Me
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
I really liked it also. I had heard a lot of negative reviews but was pleasantly surprised.

SurferStitch
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
We loved it! It was very humorous, and we like the quirkiness of the family. We also loved the "Rat Pack" frogs. Goob was adorable. We found the humor during the "future" part of the movie to be rather Monty Python-esque....goofy, yet mature.

The ending was wonderful. I loved the fact that the entire theme of the movie, "Keep moving forward", was straight from Walt. I also teared up at the end when they showed the quote.

We originally saw it in 3D in the theater, and it looked really cool. I must have watched it 4 or 5 times when it was on Starz HD (recorded on the DVR). It's still on the DVR, so I'll probably watch it again soon. I have to get the DVD!

Disneyexpert15
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I loved it. It's a funny movie. I really like the humor like the reference to Tomorrowland and Keep Moving Forward.

teresa955
08-08-2008, 12:57 PM
We loved it too! We did not see it for a long time because of the terrible reviews but we were pleasantly surprised.:thumbsup:

Hayden's Dad
08-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Great movie as far as we were concerned and I remember when it was in the theatres we were able to see it in 3-D!!

pink
08-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I wasn't interested in this movie at all and one day I sat down to watch it and fell in love with it. It gives out such a great message it's now one of my favorite movies.

I had tears in my eyes when the credits rolled

Me too, once they showed Walts name that was it for me. :mickey:

NotaGeek
09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Ok, so I finally watched this movie on STARZ On demand ... it was a weird story, the animation is kind of odd -- but the story was cute. I didn't hate it, but it's not nearly a "favorite" ...

Mammabruski
09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I love, love, love this movie. I just have to hear the song at the end ("Little Wonders" by Rob Thomas) and I am in tears. Love this movie!

LauraleeH
09-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I saw it once in theaters and haven't seen it since, so I don't remember it well, but I liked it. Thanks to this thread, I want to watch it again!

mickey&missy
09-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Loved all the park references - "Todayland", Space Mountain, PeopleMover, etc. - and the ending was very moving for me - especially since I *KNEW* that the "Keep Moving Forward" quote came straight from Walt. I had tears in my eyes when the credits rolled :)

My kiddos and I love all the park references! My kids yell "it disney world" when they see them! I also loved the keep moving forward quote! It gave me goose bumps!

BrerSchultzy
09-08-2008, 05:14 PM
My wife and I had been given the DVD a while ago, and we finally got around to watching it recently...we really liked it. The backstory (the director was adopted) made it all the more lovable.

Was this the movie that was halfway done when Disney bought Pixar, and John Lasseter came in and changed a bunch of stuff? The story work on this movie is great...you can tell they had way too many ideas, and probably could have trimmed it down a bit, but it really is cute.

Melanie
09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Was this the movie that was halfway done when Disney bought Pixar, and John Lasseter came in and changed a bunch of stuff?

I believe that's Bolt, originally known as American Dog.

MegaDisney
09-08-2008, 07:11 PM
IMHO this was one of the WORST Disney Movies I have ever seen!

It was good up until the point where we "met the Robinsons." What a disjointed mess that was. It made no sense to introduce loads of unimportant characters during a "montage." I lost interest and was squirming in my seat waiting for it to end.:ack::ack::ack:

kgoulash
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
i have to say i'm another one who loved this movie. we couldn't wait for it to come out on dvd!
i also cry at the end:mickey:

DisneyDog
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
MegaDisney, this movie is based on a children's book. The movie actually makes a lot more sense than the book did.

I LOVE this movie. I think it is sweet and beautifully done. I cry hysterically at the end everytime I see it. Just thinking about it right now is making me tear up. If only we could all see our future and know that everything will turn out well for us personally, and that we would make a difference in the world. Or that we would have the opportunity to go back and fix something that we did wrong and make it right again. What a happy though.

TwinPrincesses
09-09-2008, 04:46 PM
We didn't see it until a friend recommended it highly.
It turned out to be one of my kids' favorite movie, especially 11 year old DD. I was really surprised how much they liked it.

MegaDisney
09-09-2008, 05:22 PM
MegaDisney, this movie is based on a children's book. The movie actually makes a lot more sense than the book did.

The movie made sense to me, and I did enjoy the nod to Walt, but midway through the movie we are forced to watch a disjointed montage to introduce the Robinsons. At that point the movie totally jumped the shark for me. I felt it was a un-needed jumble to introduce characters that had absolutely no plot revelance and was a waste of celluloid.

This is all of course IMHO and as a stock holder, I am glad that so many of you enjoyed it.