PDA

View Full Version : Sushi at California Grill

TexasPrincessAurora
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
We have ADR's at California Grill in a few weeks. It's been forever since I've had sushi and I am wondering how good theirs is? Also, I am expecting so I can only have sushi with cooked seafood in it. What types do they have with cooked seafood that would be safe for me to eat? Thanks for any info!

DisneyGRL7
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
I loved the sushi at the California Grill. I had the California Rolls, which are my favorite type, and the only kind of sushi I eat on a regular basis, and I thought they some of the best I have ever had. Those are cooked as well, so you should be fine.

EvilQueen2006
03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I agree with the above poster. The california rolls there were the best i've ever had.:thumbsup:

Bruegge
03-29-2007, 09:46 PM
We ate at CG in 2002, As I have posted before I still remember what I had...

We were like you guys... just starting sushi (i.e. California rollls only) California Rolls have either cooked crab or cooked shirmp or cooked imitation crab (Pollack a fish)

We were feeling adventuresome and tried a "Bonsi Tuna Roll" a tempura piece of tuna flash fried with a wasabi cream drizzle and I think a teriyaki drizzle too. The server said "fried but still extremly rare"

Wonderful, been getting spicy tuna/crab rolls (and other sushi) ever since.

FYI: if you like your steaks MR or Rare your in business.. DW likes her steak Medium and still loved the tuna. I now order Tuna Tartar and or "seared" tuna when I see it.
Looking at the menu now I don't see the "bonzi" on it just some eel thing that sounds scary .... but I'll try it from CG in May and let you know how it is.

Scott

Crow
03-29-2007, 10:12 PM
i like CA rolls and will b trying CA Grill for the first time in May.
hope the sushi counts as app on dining plan so i can try it. let us know how it is!

Makusu
03-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Ahhh I just love sushi. Be sure to try it there. I listen to the Meandering Mouse (Jeff From Houston), and he had a podcast where he and his buddy got sick from it. But oh well. No complaints from me. :)

Natazu
03-30-2007, 04:12 AM
From what I understand, sushi chef Yoshi is one of the best in the world and it shows. Last year, we tried most of the offerings and everything was very fresh and beautifully prepared. It's also included on the Dining Plan as an appetizer so it is one of the best values.

4myprincesses
03-31-2007, 09:36 AM
I know you will find at least one offering that is cooked and the portions are generous and very tasty as well as nicely presented at the California Grill.

You might also look into Kimono's over at the Swan (or is it in the Dolphin) They have some of the best sushi I've had outside of Asia. Lots of cooked options including: crab, tempura shrimp, BBQ Eel (my favorite!), and more. Simply explain to your server and be ready for lots of choices. Certainly worth the trip to the Swan/Dolphin Resort.

Crow
03-31-2007, 06:18 PM
You might also look into Kimono's over at the Swan (or is it in the Dolphin) They have some of the best sushi I've had outside of Asia. Lots of cooked options including: crab, tempura shrimp, BBQ Eel (my favorite!), and more. Simply explain to your server and be ready for lots of choices. Certainly worth the trip to the Swan/Dolphin Resort.
I agree w Kimonos also. my first sushi was there yrs ago and i stopped by last May for some too. the atmosphere is nice and they have karaoke.
the lounge in Japan is enjoyable also, but its gonna b down for rehab when im there.

Kairi_7378
04-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I ate at the CG on 3/29/07. :cloud9: The sushi there is excellent. Our server told us that the sushi chef was one of the top 3 in the world. My husband had the Spicy Sensation sushi, which I would recommend if you could eat the tuna. The California Rolls looked very fresh and tasty.

You can have sushi as an appetizer on the DP. (Or flat bread, or a traditional appetizer.)

When you go, feel free to ask the server about which sushi selections are cooked. They are very knowledgeable about the menu and bend over backwards to make this classy meal one to remember!

Duchess99
04-02-2007, 01:32 AM
The sushi at CG is great! We had the California roll...made with Dungeness Crab instead of the usual crab sticks you see in California rolls. It was delicious! And there is nothing raw, so you won't have to worry. Also, it was included as an appetizer on the DDP...yay!!!

TexasPrincessAurora
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the info! I'll just have to ask and see what they have that is cooked, but I'll definitely try the California Rolls. Our dining plan doesn't actually start until the next day, but it's good to know you can use it for that. My dilemma is always that DH doesn't eat sushi, so I always have to find somewhere that we can both get something to eat. Glad to know this will work! Thanks!

Bruegge
04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
The flatbreads are a great alternative to sushi as an appitezer for the DH (wimp).... just kidding

Scott

Natazu
04-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the info! I'll just have to ask and see what they have that is cooked, but I'll definitely try the California Rolls. Our dining plan doesn't actually start until the next day, but it's good to know you can use it for that. My dilemma is always that DH doesn't eat sushi, so I always have to find somewhere that we can both get something to eat. Glad to know this will work! Thanks!

The Snake in the Grass has tempura shrimp which is battered and cooked to a light golden brown.

TexasPrincessAurora
04-02-2007, 06:26 PM
The Snake in the Grass has tempura shrimp which is battered and cooked to a light golden brown.

Brilliant! Can't wait to try it! Although now I'm just really hungry for sushi and can't believe I have to wait 2 more weeks to try it!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

angedeaile
04-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Brilliant! Can't wait to try it! Although now I'm just really hungry for sushi and can't believe I have to wait 2 more weeks to try it!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ditto...although I have to wait until December. :(

Last time I went, I got the sushi sampler and an order of "snake in the grass". I HEART SUSHI and I think Cali Grill is the best I have ever had.