PDA

View Full Version : Olympic National Park, other WA

CleveSJM
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Any experienced visitors out there? I'll only have a day to check it out. Any don't miss sites? I'm interested in tidepooling and birding/wildlife viewing if possible. Any good otter/puffin/etc sites?

Thanks!

PS - What about Rainier and/or North Cascades? Worth a trip? Which one for a day?

Clotho
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Firstly, I can tell you that we don't appreciate being called the "other WA"! LOL:secret: There is Washington, DC, and there is Washington. ;)

As for must-sees, what time of year will you be here? This will really affect where/what you will have recommended to see and do.

Note that they have some great day tours and programs you should investigateq!

From http://www.americanparknetwork.com/parkinfo/content.asp?catid=76&contenttypeid=31

"Park Programs

The NPS offers free programs in the summer, including coastal forest walks and daily beach and intertidal walks at Mora and Kalaloch. Summer campfire programs are at Mora, Kalaloch, Hoh, Heart O' the Hills, Sol Duc and Lake Crescent. Daily walks and talks on the mountains are offered at Hurricane Ridge. Guided rain forest walks are offered daily at Hoh, and several times weekly at the Quinault ranger station. Old-growth forest walks to Marymere Falls are offered at Lake Crescent. The U.S. Forest Service (USFS) also offers ranger-led interpretive programs in the Lake Quinault area in summer. Check bulletin boards or at visitor centers for times and topics."

For the best Otter and Puffin viewing, check out the Seattle Aquarium. They are in the middle of some incredible rehabs and redesigning, in an aquarium that was already incredible to being with! You can't beat the otter-viewing...so wonderful! Trying to guess where and when you might see them in the wild is tough--better to plan a place where you KNOW you will see them!

Enjoy your trip!

CleveSJM
03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Ha!:funny:

I should have written, "others areas of WA".

Mid June I think... Hoping for wild, wildlife. Been to Monterey Bay aquarium and it was awesome.

Thanks!

CPT Trips
03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Olympic is big - edit - change that to enormous!!! There are no roads through the park, just around the perimeter and it is one heck of a long drive. Before trying to give you information, where will you be staying?

CPT Trips
03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Firstly, I can tell you that we don't appreciate being called the "other WA"! LOL:secret: There is Washington, DC, and there is Washington. ;)

Why did the tourism people change the slogan from "Say WA"?:confused:

Janmac
04-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Not sure where you're going to be in Washington. If you're arriving in the Seattle area, one day is barely going to get you to the coastal part of Olympic NP and back again. It's a big peninsula, slow roads, etc.

You can also go to www.nps.gov/olym for info.

We have been to Ruby Beach to see tidal pools. We have used a motel at Forks, WA, (don't recall the name now as that was 1991) as a base camp for sightseeing the national park which is more like 3 parks than one. We have also used a Forest Service campground (2003) as a base camp for exploring the park. We took one day to do the Hurricane Ridge area. On another day we explored the Hoh Rain Forest and on another day we went to Ruby Beach.

Mt. Rainier is more doable from Seattle, time wise. We have stayed at the Lodge at Mt. Rainier and hiked a couple of short hikes. www.nps.gov/mora

North Cascades is very pretty and actually not far from Seattle, tho in June it can still be quite chilly up there. We camped at the campground there for a couple of nights in mid June but nothing was going on - no park ranger programs, hardly any people, including park employees. Cloudy, damp weather but we had fun hiking. www.nps.gov/noca

I remember what I heard a park ranger say to a visitor at the Grand Canyon - north rim - when asked what would he do with one day. He said, weep. :D

Hope your plans work out.

Jan

CleveSJM
06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! Just got back.

Worked in Hurricane Ridge and Mora Beach in one day and Hoh the next. Got to Rainier and NC on other days. Had more time than I thought.

Great trip! Saw my first pika and banana slug. One was awful cute and cuddley, the other was a pretty big rodent... :D:D

Clotho
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
So glad you had a good time!
I loved banana slugs as a kid. LOL!