PDA

View Full Version : Sept vs Dec

Goofy Pluto
03-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone.

So my wife and I are now debating whether we want to go to WDW in September or November/December after Thanksgiving. Both have their plusses and minuses.

Originally we were thinking October, actually, but then we figured out that September and November/December (AFTER Thanksgiving) would be less expensive. So now we are trying to figure out which would be a better time.

September
Plusses:
- Warmer Weather (can use pools/water park)
- Possibly free meal plan
- This is the time when they are having that pre-schooler program going on (we have 3 preschoolers)

Minuses:
- We have a vacation at the end of August already planned and this would be really close to that (two vacations in a row)
- Possibly HOT weather

December
Plusses:
- Christmas decorations are up!
- Possibility of attending MVMCP
- Further away from our August trip so something to look forward to.

Minuses:
- Probably no free meal plan
- Possibly colder (or just cold!) weather
- Less of a chance to use pool or go to water park.
- It's farther away! :D

Anyway, those are some of the things I'm thinking. I'm just wondering if any of you have some thoughts of plusses/minuses to either time or why we should choose one over the other.

Thanks!

DVC2004
03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I've been both times. September is great (low crowds, beautiful warm weather) BUT it's hurricane season. This may affect your trip. We had no problems though last Sept.
December- the earlier you go the better crowdwise. The weather can be warm or cool- mixed bag there. But the parks and resorts are decorated beautifully for the holidays. It really is a treat. Both are good. I would give December the edge for all the holiday merriment.

tigger24601
03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
i would definately go for after thanksgiving. me and my dh have gone twice the week after turkey day (our honeymoon and first anniversary) the weather is beautiful, and that's from a native s. floridian. there was maybe 1 day that warrented my light weight leather jacket, it was at night and once we got going i regretted bringing it. the lines are low, mvmcp is well worth it, and EVERYTHING is decorated for christmas. the money that you save on tickets and hotel would help make up for not having a meal plan. we will be going back this year for our 3rd anniversary nov 25-28 with our now 8 month old dd. definately worth the wait plus you'll have time to recover from your summer vacation and something to look forward to for the next vacation.

p.s. all disney pools are heated!

Strmchsr
03-28-2007, 05:37 PM
That's a tough call. The crowds have been getting bigger in early December, so that might be a minus, and the weather is totally unpredictable. However, as mentioned, September is hurricane season and hot. If I had the option, I'd probably do September just because I've not done a MNSSHP and I've heard it's even better than MVMCP, which I've seen twice, and the crowds are lower. I'm not sure the price difference is all that great because with the free DDP you are paying full rack rate for the rooms, so getting a big room discount can sometimes equal or surpass the discount you get with free DDP.

LoriMistress
03-28-2007, 05:39 PM
I would go for the November/December thing. The last thing you want to do is do two vacations back to back. That will burn you out quickly.

disneygoofball
03-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm a big fan of going in September - in fact, it's my favorite time to go. I've been the last few Septembers in a row, and it's been great. Low crowds, good deals, nice weather. There are occassional rains, but you just have to wait them out, and they did not interfere with our trip at all.

Having two vacations in a row, however, would make me suggest going in December unless there's some way you can change your other vacation. It's nice to spread the joy out over a period of time. :mickey:

faline
03-29-2007, 09:39 AM
My favorite time to visit Disney World is early December. Between the decorations, special holiday happenings, and relatively low crowds, it's a great time to be in the World.

Mickey's Pal
03-29-2007, 11:51 AM
... because with the free DDP you are paying full rack rate for the rooms, so getting a big room discount can sometimes equal or surpass the discount you get with free DDP.

Do you mean that you pay the full value season rate? (Not an inflated rate to compensate for the DP, right?) :confused:

Strmchsr
03-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Do you mean that you pay the full value season rate? (Not an inflated rate to compensate for the DP, right?) :confused:

No, from what I understand (though I'd have to look at this year's rates if/when they release the free DDP discount, the room rate is not full value rate, but full rack rate (what you'd pay during high season, essentially), which is much higher than the normal value season room rate. So, in essence, it is an inflated rate to compensate for the free DDP. Not that it's not a good discount, it's just some folks are planning their entire vacation around free DDP believing it's the greatest discount ever when they could probably go as cheap, or close to as cheap, at another time with a big room discount.

BelleBeauty
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I would choose November/December, for all the reasons above!

I love the holiday decorations and all of the special programs that go on during this season. Weather is still nice - I remember sitting in a pool on Christmas Day with 80 degree weather one year. Also, if the free dining plan is offered again is just makes the crowds heavier for September. Also, two vacations back to back leave you exhausted and also leave you with a whole year without a break!

mudpuppysmom
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
We've gone the past two years at the end of Sept (end of free dining period -- once we used free DDP). We just went this past December too. Now, which would I pick again - I think I'd pick Dececmber (the beginning, before the crowds get too intense) for all the holiday things happening == it is SO MAGICAL!!!! I'm a Christmas nut though, so that is why I'd pick that time.

Also, as others have said Sept. is hurricane season and you just never know what could come down the pike during those months!

This past December the weather was great -- it was in the 80's all but one day, which was downright COLD, but otherwise we were blessed with good weather. We were even in the pool twice!

Goofy Pluto
03-30-2007, 10:45 AM
No, from what I understand (though I'd have to look at this year's rates if/when they release the free DDP discount, the room rate is not full value rate, but full rack rate (what you'd pay during high season, essentially), which is much higher than the normal value season room rate. So, in essence, it is an inflated rate to compensate for the free DDP. Not that it's not a good discount, it's just some folks are planning their entire vacation around free DDP believing it's the greatest discount ever when they could probably go as cheap, or close to as cheap, at another time with a big room discount.

WHOA! Just so I understand, if I look right now the value season rate for a value resort is something like $82 a night. Are you telling me that if I got the free DDP then that rate would go up? To what?

IndianaDisneyFan
03-30-2007, 10:39 PM
You do not pay a higher rate if you get the Free Dining Plan. We went the last week of Sept. last year and had the free dining plan. Yes, you have to pay the full value season rate,(no room discount), but you are not charged more. The value season rate is $82 at the value resorts. I hope this has helped.

Sharon1026
03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
I live in the Tampa area...
September is hot and humid. Kids are back in school, so crowds are low, much like December. If you go in early December you have a better chance of having "pool" weather.

December weather will be much easier for walking around the parks with the little ones. If you do the Christmas tradition in your home, then the kids will enjoy the Santas from around the world at Epcot. The decorations are really good, too.

If it were me, I'd take the December trip. You aren't really coming down here just for the pools, are you?