PDA

View Full Version : pop vs allstars?

KAJUNKING
03-26-2007, 11:17 PM
i stayed at movies on my last trip and pop the trip before and really liked pop a whole lot more, mostly because of the food court, im wondering if most people have the same feeling?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-26-2007, 11:30 PM
l am one of the odd ones that like All Stars better. All Star Movies to be specific. :mickey:

Jasper
03-26-2007, 11:37 PM
I would say that we are pretty evenly divided in our opinions of POP versus ALL Stars but since you force us to make a choice we would probably give a slight edge to the All Stars because we like their food choices a little better. Granted, both are so similar that it is going to really be something very minor that makes you choose one over the other or the theming. Other than theming there is little difference that it really depends on your personal taste in selections.

EpcotNut
03-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Pop is newer and, IMO, has better theming. Also, the transportation is better - Pop has dedicated buses, so you're not having to stop all the time. As great as the food court is, make sure to get there early - it gets crazy and LOUD during peak meal times - specifically breakfast. Either way - have a great time!:thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
03-27-2007, 07:59 AM
l am one of the odd ones that like All Stars better. All Star Movies to be specific. :mickey:
We are in the same boat as you. We found POP to be too large, loud and crowded. When ever we were at the food court, no matter what time of day, it was packed.

Our All Star resort is the Sports. The kids like the sports theme better than any other resort.

squijee
03-27-2007, 09:08 AM
dh and i have stayed at asmo and pop..we like asmo better...smaller and quieter...asm gets it own bus at park closing times and crowded days...we always stay at the ducks end and sometimes get off when the bus stops at sports...:mickey:

DDuck66
03-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I will stick with The Pop. We have stayed there numerous times and have never had any problems with the crowds...but a lot of our vacations are when school is in session. We usually go early May or late September/Oct.
The one time we stayed at AS, we had bad service, were given the wrong room, and were generally disappointed.

Crystal Palace
03-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I can't really vote because I've never stayed at Pop Century, but I did stay at All Star Movies and I was very impressed with it. I loved their food court and shop.

caryrae
03-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I can't really vote because I've never stayed at Pop Century, but I did stay at All Star Movies and I was very impressed with it. I loved their food court and shop.

:welcome: I was just curious, if you never stayed at POP before why do you have a POP avatar? Is it somewhere you would like to stay someday? or you just like the pic?

luvkatiebug
03-27-2007, 03:51 PM
We have stayed at both, and like both. Our last family trip we stayed at Pop because it was only about 6 months old, and figured it would be nice and new (which it was). As far as amenities, they are about the same. POP does have a nice splash play area, which was great for my 3 year old (at the time) who didn't swim. Eventhough, I do love the theming of the All Star Movies better. Anywhere is Disney is great for me! Have a great trip!:mickey:

LoriMistress
03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I stayed at ASMu last time. The resort was very nice for a value. I cannot wait until we stay at Pop Century.

IrishMickey
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
We are a divided Household. Last trip we stayed at the Pop, I loved it. My DH is planning a trip for us at the end of the year, he wants to go back to the All Star's. He thinks the kids will like the movie theme more. I think he just doesn't want to stay in the same place twice. I love the POP, but if I get to go to WDW I will stay at any of their properties.

KAJUNKING
03-27-2007, 11:40 PM
We are a divided Household. Last trip we stayed at the Pop, I loved it. My DH is planning a trip for us at the end of the year, he wants to go back to the All Star's. He thinks the kids will like the movie theme more. I think he just doesn't want to stay in the same place twice. I love the POP, but if I get to go to WDW I will stay at any of their properties.

dont get me wrong i would stay in a tent if that meant i could go to disney! lol :mickey:

May524
03-28-2007, 12:54 AM
To be completely honest, POP and the All Star resorts are SO similar to me!
I've stayed at Pop, Music and Movies...and honestly all of my hotel experiences are mushed into one!
My experiences have been exact, so in my opinion, chose what appeals to you!
If sports is your thing, choose sports! However, if you want something "newer" choose Pop! Best of luck :)

PracticallyPerfectMollie
03-28-2007, 09:30 AM
We stayed at Pop, poolside in the 50's section and loved it. Especially the fact that our bus went straight to the park. However, we don't spend much time at the hotel so value is our biggest concern so we would happily stay at any of the four.

ASweetLov
03-28-2007, 11:12 PM
I love Pop Century:thumbsup:

Raye3201
03-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I haven't stayed at POP but ASM's buses were awful and we'd never stay there again...even if the $39 a night annual pass discount came up again! Waiting 40 minutes in the hot sun with no shade or seating was a nightmare with two kids...no thank you!

I voted for POP because of the dedicated buses. I would try POP in the future 4 sure.:mickey:

KAJUNKING
03-29-2007, 12:56 AM
i think the buses make up most peoples mind, for me it was the food court at movies ( pop is much better imho ) but back to the bus thing, you would think disney would get it, i mean 80% of voters on this pole chose pop (so far) and i think most of it has to do with buses! when we were at movies the buses were not a problem, but we were there in sept which is the off season, i could see where it could be a problem when its busy! we were down at the ducks end and didnt realize we would be better off getting off at sports till the end of our trip (needless to say we paid extra for a prefered room for our next trip) but dedicated buses mean a lot! :mickey:

Vinny
03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I stayed at All-Stars for a few trips in the late 90's and now have been staying at Pop Century for my last handful of trips. I would choose POP because it is more centrally located to the parks than All-Stars, which makes the bus rides quicker. While the theme styles and layout of both resorts are very similar there is just something about POP that sets it apart from All-Stars.

Jerry2
03-29-2007, 02:18 PM
For me it’s a VERY close call. I would give the Pop a slight edge because the food court is laid out better and I like the bus situation better.

My son has always liked the All-Star Sports. He’s an only child and he would always make friends and get into pick-up touch football games in the Football section. :hands: By the end of each trip he would always have a few new buddies to pal around with.
:grouphug:

AdventurerKim
03-31-2007, 09:16 AM
We like POP best and have stayed there four times now and love it! We have stayed at ASMovies, and it was fine (that was before POP was finished). We like the atmosphere, great mix of music, and the food court is good. Plus, only one bus stop! :thumbsup:

Geaux LSU & Saints!

Meghan
03-31-2007, 09:37 AM
I personally prefer Pop Century to All Stars. But to be fair, I've stayed at Pop 4 times and All Stars (Sports) just once. I really love Pop. The location, food court, theming, pools, etc are all really fun. Sports was fine and all, I just didn't like it as much.

If you do stay at Pop Century, get the breakfast pizza. I'm a little obsessed with it!

Rodders
04-02-2007, 05:32 AM
We are in the same boat as you. We found POP to be too large, loud and crowded. When ever we were at the food court, no matter what time of day, it was packed.

Our All Star resort is the Sports. The kids like the sports theme better than any other resort.

I guess POP can be busier but I thought that they are all the same size. Each one has 10 buidlings. Am I missing something?

NJDad
04-02-2007, 06:34 AM
All Star buildings are three stories tall, Pop building have four stories.

rsumrall
04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I'll be the oddball here...

I've stayed at ASMu and ASsp and Pop. For us the deciding factor is definitely the transportation. That's why I would pick the All-Stars any day of the week. I know that Pop has designated buses, but Pop also has 3 times as many rooms as any individual AS resort. In our experience, the wait times for Pop buses, especially at the end of the day, was ridiculous. I know that "officially" the AS resorts share buses, but we've many times ridden on a bus that was designated to one particular AS resort, especially at busier times of the day. The sheer volume of rooms at Pop makes the transportation very difficult to deal with.

ShanPooh
04-05-2007, 12:40 AM
All-Star Music in all its old familiarness ;)

Mickeydream
04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
After many weeks of going back and forth about where to stay, we finally decided on POP. We are really looking forward to it and the kids (11 and 5 when we go in Nov) can't wait to see the big cell phone and Playdoh. :mickey:

Jasper
04-05-2007, 08:39 PM
There is something people often seem to forget about Disney transportation. Disney is VERY numbers driven and know exactly how many people are on each bus and how long they are in line or in transit. Disney uses all that data to "balance" the system. The result is that regardless of which value you go to the entire time from leaving the park to arrival at the hotel is going to be very similar regardless of which hotel you stay at. It only seems faster because you don't make the stops.

I guess what I am saying is that transportation shouldn't really be a big part of your decision. By the way, there will always be those situations where you may get there extra fast or have an extra long delay.

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
04-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I wrestled with the descision recently. My wife and I have been two all three All Stars and of those, Movies twice which had become our favorite and was the last place we stayed there. That last time was just a few weeks from the opening of Pop which I had been waiting and waiting for. I'd been curious about them all and wanted to check them all out. We went back last year to get married and had our chance to try Pop. Her parents went with us and they liked it. This trip will include the the rest of the family (her siblings and their own) along with our baby.

But where to go for trip#6? We liked both of the Fantasia buildings but that'd be extra cost that'd add up for the three rooms we're getting ... oh those preferred buildings! I always imagined this trip, and I imagined 101 Dalmations. Now that is pref'd too I hear. Next on my list w/b Herbie (they all love Herbie) but I'd hate for us to wind up in Mighty Ducks.

We'd been to Jazz but it was "okay" and Calypso is where I'd prefer... but again the pref'd cost. And with many Jazz rooms turned into suites, I feared that we'd be waaayyyyyy back in Music and a few members will be renting scooters so being far away from the main hall is not the best circumstance.

Our first trip was a stay at Sports and my brother in law loves sports, esp football. But that didn't seem enough of a reason to stay there ... we could always visit. I just didn't want Sports. And yet the Movies choice seemed not ideal for the big group. Back during trip #4 we walked through Sports and I think visiting will be the best way to soak it all in - and I hope by now they've repainted since I was taken aback by the obvious need for a paint job back then.

So by default, I chose Pop. We liked 80's. Hope we can try 70's this time. I came close to saying "oh, heck" and paying for 60's even though that wasn't happening for the All Stars.

I love the Pop caferia and Movies too. And those are my two favorite resorts. Not so hot on the original All Stars cafeterias (Sports & Music). Hmmm... :secret: Well, most of people in our party don't know what to expect and will be happy regardless. Mom & Dad only know Pop and would love to return. I'm going to miss more sleep over the decision and second guess myself. :blush:

Crow
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
yes Pop is newer and more centrally located.
All stars is showing some age, but it is the first onsite i stayed at.

January-2007
04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
My husband and I love Pop Century. I love retro stuff and my husband loves the arcade. We were both impressed by how nice everything looked for the price we paid (we used an AP disount in January and stayed for $59 a night!) I love the posters in the room, I always want to take them home with me!

I like that it's a newer resort, and the theming is great. It's a personal choice because everybody likes different things, but I personally don't want to mess with success, so when it comes to the values, the only one I am interested in is Pop Century. Once we have kids that might change, like if they are really interested in one of the other themes or something. But for just DH and I, Pop is tops! :thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
04-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I've stayed at the Pop a few times and All Star Music...I love the Pop mainly 'cause of the buses and the larger food court...HOWEVER...we stayed there and went to the MNSSHP in mid-September last year...we waited in line almost two hours to catch our bus back to the Pop...All the other resorts had no lines, and our's was 500 people strong...we are staying there again this year, and if the bus is still that bad, we'll take a bus to the boardwalk and take a cab from there...we actually waited one final bus so that we could sit (two mid-fifty's women) and low and behold, the last two people on our bus were ladies at least 15 years older than us, and none of the gentlemen were going to give up their seats, so alas...we stood...best laid plans of mice and women...there were still at least 100 more people waiting once we boarded our bus...REGARDLESS...have a wonderful time...:cloud9:

Kristi Kay
04-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I have never stayed at All Star, but Pop is really fun!

Here we go again...
04-09-2007, 12:26 AM
I chose Pop but it was a hard decision.
I love the theming of Pop and since it is a newer resort it is still nice.

However, I like the fact that the All Star resorts ar so much smaller. With a smaller resort comes sharing buses. We stayed at Sports in February and we felt the room was very run down. We also had issues with the locks on the doors and it took 6 trips to the front desk to get it straightened out. At Pop they seem to move a little quicker when problems arise.

steamboat willy
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Allstar Music:vacation:
Allstar Music:swim:
Allstar Music...Calypso :cheers:
We love the resort, the pool and the food court!:thumbsup:

Bethanymouse
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
We really enjoy the POP. The food court is pretty good and the resort is clean. It is very affordable and it still maintains that disney magic!