PDA

View Full Version : VMK Newsletter 3/26 Best in awhile!!!

WDWfanatic742
03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
3/26 – Awesome new in-game features are revealed along with the answer to last week's photo puzzle. Yavn's got the latest VMK news, now get in the know!

Dark Days Ahead

Winter is finally over and spring break is looming just around the corner – but something else is looming on the horizon, something dark and it's on the way to VMK! (Now don't skip to the good stuff yet – we're serving up some tasty info you'll want to eat up before getting to dessert!)

How to Clear a Room

Silly me, last week I forgot to tell you about one of the coolest features in the new build – the Clear Room button! Now you can send every single item you've got in a room back into your inventory with the click of a button. No more removing items one by one – you've got to happy about that – I know I am! Now we just need a way to sell back items in bulk!

Last Chance For EPCOT Questing

Alright, this is the last week to grab that EPCOT Guest room – in fact, you have until the end of the week to complete the 4 EPCOT Quests. The reaction to the Quest has been phenomenal (thanks to all of you who played) if you haven't Quested, don't want to miss out! Once the EPCOT Quests are gone there's no telling when you might be able to get that EPCOT Guest Room again.

Anyone for a Makeover?

Just a quick note, the weekly Room Makeovers will now be showcased in the Event Info section on this very Newsletter page! Don't forget we're making over 2 rooms each week now – maybe your guest room is next!

Tomorrowland Quests

Another reminder for all you Questers out there – we're getting reading to re-launch the in-game Tomorrowland Quests. If you want to get another star for your Diving, Driving and Flying Pins you'll need to make sure you've completed the current in–game Quests. (Don't worry if you don't complete the Quests, you'll still be able to win the pins, but you'll only be able to get a 2nd star.) Also many of you have noticed that both the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland Quests have been removed from the VMK website – don't worry, they'll both be back very shortly with a brand new Quest reward – the Red Inner–Space Suit Magic Spell. (Yes, this will be coming to the Magic Kingdom too!)

Ride On!

So did you like the little image of the strange critters last week? As many of you guessed the creatures are from none other than Alice In Wonderland (and of course, the Alice In Wonderland attraction in Disneyland). But what does Alice In Wonderland have to do with VMK? Well, Alice will help kick off something brand new for VMK – Dark Ride Attractions! That's right, the Alice In Wonderland attraction (as well as one more ride… but you will have to wait to see which one!) has been lovingly recreated in VMK! (How awesome is that?!) Now, to give you an idea of how much detail went into this wonderful new addition, over 120 new furniture items have been created – just for Alice!

How do the new rides work? Well, when they open take a walk over to the brand new Fantasyland Courtyard and enter through the turnstile, pay your credits (sorry they're not free – but you may win something very cool for just riding… more on that next week!) and hop on!

The team really pulled out the stops to make the VMK versions of these attractions as faithful as possible to the Park versions. We also added some new functionality to the game to help make the current ride system work better. The main change is a new animation system that allows items (like furniture) to animate when a player passes by the object. And just like the real Park attractions – our dark ride tracks do not allow players to hop off the ride until it comes to an end!

I don't know about you ride builders out there, but every time we have a Ride-A-Thon we have to block both sides of every piece of track. One more really cool feature is the new track system can support both Fantasyland Dark Ride vehicle types, how exactly does that work? Well, the track you use to launch the ride is associated with a vehicle type – so if you place an Alice Track starter – you'll get an Alice In Wonderland Caterpillar Vehicle. Place the starter from the other ride and… well you'll see!

Hair-raising New Style

Since we're on the topic of new stuff, how about a new hairstyle for boys and girls! In honor of the new Alice in Wonderland attraction we present Alice In Wonderland hair for girls! And for the guys, a cool new surfer do – perfect if you are a fan of Troy from High School Musical.

Gotta Fly Now!

Well I need to get packing, literally. That plane to Asia leaves in just a few days and I've got to get my gear in gear. But before I go I'll leave you with this pretty picture and a riddle:

What do you get when you cross Dark Rides, the new Fantasyland Courtyard and a Sword In The Stone?

The thrilling answer and news from my trip to the Far East in next week's Newsletter – don't miss it!

See you in VMK,
Yavn

PICTURES

Clear Room Button (http://avmk.disney.go.com/avmk_v0300/en_US/media/calendar/YavnSpks-2007-03-26-roominfoclear.jpg)
Alice in Wonderland Ride (http://avmk.disney.go.com/avmk_v0300/en_US/media/calendar/YavnSpks-2007-03-26-aliceride1.jpg)
New Hair Styles (http://avmk.disney.go.com/avmk_v0300/en_US/media/calendar/YavnSpks-2007-03-26-hairstyle.jpg)
Sword in the Stone (http://avmk.disney.go.com/avmk_v0300/en_US/media/calendar/YavnSpks-2007-03-26-SwordintheStone.jpg)

WDWfanatic742
03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Real quick, the red highlighting is something that I will try to do more often if you want to just skim over things. Things in red are very important. By looking at it real fast, it doesn't look too eye appealing, but if you all like it I will keep doing it.

Anyway...

YAYAYAYAY!!!!! They took our ideas and made an actual ride!!!!! Now, to what is going to be the other ride. The new items have to be pretty cool to see. Over 120 :D

varcity
03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Most definitely the best newsletter in a very long while.

LOVE the alice room shown. Can't wait to see the ride and all the items they create. Makes me wonder if any of it will be sold or if it is all just staff stuff for certain builds? I want: Hedges, cards, everything :mickey:

Great Idea to remove all items from a room, makes things easier! Just wish they could add all items to trade windows so people don't have a fear of getting ripped off with some trades I see.

Cute hair for the girls. I guess the guy's is ok as well?? haha.

LAst thought: time to fly? Yes, he is going to Asia, however, Peter pan flies.... Wishful thinking? The confusing this to me is that the sword in the stone is in the frontierland courtyard in DLR in front of the carousel. Neither are dark rides. So do I get to keep hoping for Peter Pan's ride in VMK??? :mickey:

And fan, I read the whole newsletter, but appreciate the red highlighting! :mickey:

Chescat
03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
LAst thought: time to fly? Yes, he is going to Asia, however, Peter pan flies.... Wishful thinking? The confusing this to me is that the sword in the stone is in the frontierland courtyard in DLR in front of the carousel. Neither are dark rides. So do I get to keep hoping for Peter Pan's ride in VMK??? :mickey:

OMG, OMG. ALICE!!!! Am I going to see my cheshire cat stuff. AHHH! :hatter: :ccat:

Varcity its in the fantasyland courtyard (typo I think).

I'm betting on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (still at DLR). That is one of Yavn's favorite movies and makes sense that its another dark ride. Its also a lot of fun. Only other dark ride would be Snow White. But they already have an area for her. Also in the locations, Mr. Toad's ride is betwen Alice & Tea Cups and the Carousel and the Sword in the Stone.

I think the sword in the stone will be like at the park. Maybe at a certain time it will be like treasure detector, you are awarded a prize when you click on it. Or every 1000th person through. Or maybe we get a carousel out of this.

Can't wait. :cloud9:

terri.m
03-26-2007, 07:12 PM
i'm so freaking excited!!! :cloud9:

If they did the peter pan ride :cloud9:

The sword in the stone idea from chescat:cloud9:

oh it's a happy vmk day:cloud9:

cheshirecollector
03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
"120 new items" says two things to me:

1) You guys have to start saving credits.

2) What items will be retired to make room for them?

WDWfanatic742
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I don't think most if any of the items will be allowed to be sold or given away. Or if anything, maybe you get one of the items for every ride that you have to pay for???

janmathatter
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
:faint: :faint: :hatter: :ccat:
I am without speech!!!

Jeremy
03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
this news is so cool!:cool:

I can not wait:joy: :woohoo: :yay:

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Thank you VMK for the CLEAR BUTTON! At last I can experiment carelessly with my rooms and not even bother to clear it out when I'm done! Yesssssss! :D

The hairdo's aren't as good as the ones that came out earlier. It's Alice in Wonderland, which is great, but I wish they came out with something different.

On the other hand, G-R-E-A-T Alice furnish! I can't wait!

Blue Genie
03-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Well right now I have in credit 43,733. So I can get alot.

Randypandy
03-27-2007, 04:45 AM
Ohhh this is going to be good. i can't wait to tell my friend. it ***** he can't play vmk right now.he got his computer turned off.:( Im having to play his till he get's back online which will take awhile. But im saving credits like crazy here . Have 282,040 credits :thumbsup: . For anyone that's wondering im still working on green car quest. still ghost catching them.I came real close the other day. caught 84.:mad: I know we are getting new furniture but that room looked brand new to me. the hair do looked cute but i like straight or ponytail myself.

MrDownTown
03-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Here is my thought on the whole 120 items things im betting that the ride is going to give out a number of those items at random just like the treasure chest for pirates.. regardless WOW a real ride :D this will be sweet!!

chrisb26
03-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Great Newsletter this week :mickey:

The Clear button looks great. I like how just one push of a button and everything in the room goes right back into your inventory. This will come in handy when you want to take down a room that has tons of crates. No more spending twenty minutes picking everything up. Yavn also mentioned a mass sell button hopefully that wasn't just him joking because that could also come in handy. Especially when you want to sell all the things you get from the Plunder game after entering a hundred codes and not getting sparrow ;)

The dark Alice ride looks pretty cool we finally get to ride a ride that isn't built by us in VMK! I remember when I first joined VMK I would go to Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain and ask people how do I get on that ride. lol now I can finally ride a ride in VMK yay.

I like your idea about Mr. Toads Wild Ride Cat that would be a neat ride and it might happen if Yavn really likes the ride.

Don't really care much for the new hair. I wear hats all the time so it wont do me any good.

I was also happy to hear that the new Tomorrowland Quest was going to WDW as well. In last weeks newsletter Yavn only said Disneyland so I was worried there for a second. Now I just hope the new quest will be out for my trip in May.

Chescat
03-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Dino Fan had me look at the calendar tonite. It starts April 1st. Interesting. Also Castle in the Clouds shows Host Pin, the other shows prizes. Not sure what that means.

Sundays:

Fin's If the Slipper Fits Quest (Journey through Fantaslyand and...)

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Driving through town was a bumpy ride for Mr. Toad, see if you can do better and fin your way to the prize)

Mad Hatter's Twisted Teacups (Choose a teacup - teleporter game)

Mondays:

Don't Lose Your Slipper (Generator game)

This Way, That Way! (Wild ride through Fin's Fantastic Fantasyland - reach last room and choose correct path)

Tuesday:

VMK Room Makeovers

Castles in the Clouds (First castle with all it's princes and princesses in the turrets wins the game)

Wednesday:

If the Shoe Fits... (Last one with a shoe wins)

Mad Hatter's Twisted Tea Cups

Thursday:

VMK Room Makeovers

Fin's If the Slipper Fits (Quest)

Friday:

Hop, Skip and a Jump! (Race game to chairs)

Saturday:

Escape From the Evil Fortress (Teleporters)

Off to Neverland! (While soaring over the Indian encampment we will have Peter Pan trivia for extra Prizes! Pictures are great from up here)

Castles in the Clouds

Patricia
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
So.. this means the ride will only be available for the staff to build? If so, why create 120 new pieces of furniture. If it was static, they could build a ride that never changes. For whatever reason it makes me think they are introducing new ride pieces and furniture for our future use..

but I've been wrong before. :blush:

As we all know, as smart as yavn is in the world of computers, comprehension does not come easy to us from his newsletters. He's really not that articulate in type.

- Although Peter pan would be cool, it' s probably a Mr.Toad ride.

WDWfanatic742
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, when they open take a walk over to the brand new Fantasyland Courtyard and enter through the turnstile...

From this, I assume that the turnstyle will be in a public room (Fantasyland Courtyard), and we will pay credits that way and it wouldn't envolve staff in any way.

Patricia
03-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah.. I''m sure it won't involve staff, but can you imagine the queue?

:jaw:

Chescat
03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Maybe they are treating this like the old days at Disneyland. You enter the courtyard. Then if you want to go on any of the rides, you have to spend you credits to go on. We currently just have a Main Street Courtyard. So looks like they add this to the Fantasyland menu.

I'm sure the first week will be a mess. But once people start running up their credits, that may be a different story.

Re-Read this again:

Well, Alice will help kick off something brand new for VMK – Dark Ride Attractions! That's right, the Alice In Wonderland attraction (as well as one more ride… but you will have to wait to see which one!) has been lovingly recreated in VMK! (How awesome is that?!) Now, to give you an idea of how much detail went into this wonderful new addition, over 120 new furniture items have been created – just for Alice!

How do the new rides work? Well, when they open take a walk over to the brand new Fantasyland Courtyard and enter through the turnstile, pay your credits (sorry they're not free – but you may win something very cool for just riding… more on that next week!) and hop on!

varcity
03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
New concept drawings in the Gallery. Which reminded me of the castle gardens to be last in that room for drawings.... You all know what my guess is on that one! :mickey:

The left picture (I used the magnifier on the computer) Appears to be maybe castle forecourt being redone with the new fantasyland courtyard where story book land's entrance is. The right picture is the fantasyland in sky with some weird drawing in the top right of it that I can't make out!!!

Chescat
03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
The left picture (I used the magnifier on the computer) Appears to be maybe castle forecourt being redone with the new fantasyland courtyard where story book land's entrance is. The right picture is the fantasyland in sky with some weird drawing in the top right of it that I can't make out!!!
I'm just having this funny image of you doing that. :look: :funny:

Try saving it with a screen capture, save as a jpg, then you can enlarge it. That's what us ancients have to do. :old:

varcity
03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Sigh, if only I had the know how on screen shots... Then you all would see the other side of me in VMK more often! :mickey:

However, if I was to enlarge the JPEG, wouldn't it be distorted to where I can't see it?

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Varcity, if you want to do screenshots, I just do it the cheap way :D Just do CTRL+SHIFT+PRTSC (usually the PrtSc button is on the top part of your keyboard if you're using a laptop) and paste it into Paint. Then click on the square button with dashed lines (I have it on the top right) and drag your mouse to shape the VMK window. Then Copy it and Paste it into a new Paint window. Voila, a Do-It-Yourself "screenshot" to store in your pictures. Sounds a little time-consuming, but it takes about 3 seconds for me to do it :thumbsup:

Chescat
03-28-2007, 08:34 PM
What I use at work is a product called Screenhunter, that has a free version for everybody to use. Its very useful and makes a file for each. Just hit a button and it takes the picture.

I use another product that I probably can't mention here that my hubby pays for. He's a beta tester on the future versions so we now get upgrades. I prefer jpg's so usually stay with that.

Varcity, the enlarging was only if you had trouble seeing that picture. :blush:

Patricia
04-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Getting back on topic..

What if the new ride is
It's A Small World?!?

:thedolls: :thedolls: :thedolls:

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-01-2007, 12:59 PM
What if the new ride is
It's A Small World?!?

:thedolls: :thedolls: :thedolls:

Watch out, I might sing at any moment now :D

WDWfanatic742
04-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Talk about an April Fool's Joke....

varcity
04-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh how I would love to have It's a Small World in VMK. My favorite song to play all the time with my bestest friends!!!! It really would be a year of a million dreams!:mickey: :thedolls:

Patricia
04-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Also.. now that I have a free minute to cut and paste.

:whew:

I'm still going with the dark rides being available to all. Otherwise there would not be a "start" track associated with each ride. Honestly, they wouldn't make 120 new pieces for themselves if they don't have to do it that way. They could do it so much easier.

Yavn's last newsletter:

(My own comments in black)

"One more really cool feature ( a feature is for us) is the new track system can support both Fantasyland Dark Ride vehicle types, how exactly does that work? Well, the track you use to launch the ride is associated with a vehicle type – so if you place an Alice Track starter – you'll get an Alice In Wonderland Caterpillar Vehicle. Place the starter from the other ride and… well you'll (that's us again) see!

Chescat
04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Have to agree with you Patti. Just counted up the # of space ride pieces. It was 11. So if you add that times 2 for another ride. The interesting question is all that fun stuff we see in that room like the heart cards, the spade bridge, the queen of hearts, the hearts trees and hedges of different types. That adds up very quickly.

I can't wait. :cloud9: