PDA

View Full Version : how far between DTD west side & market?

hope23
03-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I can't tell from the maps how far it actually is between downtown disney's west side and marketplace... can you walk between them or do you need a bus/taxi? Approx. how long does it take? Thanks!

jillluvsdisney
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
It's a walkable distance. You can take 2 routes.
You can walk the outside sidwalk that borders tha parking lot or you walk thru Pleasaure Island over to the Marketplace. I don't know how fast you walk but I would say 10 to 20 minutes tops.

Jasper
03-26-2007, 05:36 PM
It is definately walking distance. It feels like a longer walk than it really is because there is nothing to really look at in Pleasure Island during the day. Just be aware that at some time in the evening (not sure of what time it is) they start charging admission to Pleasure Island even if you are just walking through. So if it is that time of the evening then you will want to take the walk outside PI.

hope23
03-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks so much... this is always so helpful!

wendy*darling
03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Just be aware that at some time in the evening (not sure of what time it is) they start charging admission to Pleasure Island even if you are just walking through.
This is no longer true. Pleasure Island used to be gated, and you had to pay to enter in the evenings. Now it is open and free to anyone and everyone. You only have to pay if you want to enter the clubs.
So you can walk through here day or night.
What you need to be aware of though is that since is it open to all, this has become a local "hang out" for teens and young adults. It can get quite rowdy in there. So if you have young kids- you may want to stick to the outside walkway.

One more avenue to get from one side to the other is the water taxi (free). On the West Side, you can catch it near House of Blues. In the Marketplace it is near Cap'n Jack's. But it has limited running hours- so check at Guest Relations for the hours when you visit.

Darbylew
03-26-2007, 08:23 PM
It is quite a walk from one end to the other but
there is so much to see and do that it doesn't
seem long at all. ENJOY! :thumbsup:

mamacatnv
03-26-2007, 08:23 PM
It's a hike - especially with tired feet - you can however take a water taxi from Marketplace to PI and also to West Side - much nicer and easier on the tootsies

Crow
03-26-2007, 10:04 PM
its an ok walk. i dont have a problem w it.
theres some things to look at and i stop at some of the stores and look at the menus at some of the eateries

luv2plan
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
On this subject, I would also like to know if the ferry from Port Orleans stops at all 3 sections of DTD or if there is only one stop. If it stops at all 3 sections, what is their order? We are only planning to go to the Marketplace.

Thanks for any info!

Goofy Pluto
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I can't answer the above question, but I just wanted to say: What's the difference between walking from DTD MP to the West Side than walking a park all day? I guarentee you spend more time walking around a park than it would the 10 minutes (if that) from one side of DTD to the other.

mamacatnv
03-29-2007, 06:18 PM
On this subject, I would also like to know if the ferry from Port Orleans stops at all 3 sections of DTD or if there is only one stop. If it stops at all 3 sections, what is their order? We are only planning to go to the Marketplace.

Thanks for any info!In January the resort boat was different from the DTD boat.

The resort boat pulls into Marketplace only and you get off or return to the resorts. It did not stop at PI or WestSide.

From there you can get on the water taxi to PI or Westside. The water taxi's run in a continual cycle between the 3 taxi stops at DTD.

Jasper
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=wendy*darling;1236033]This is no longer true. Pleasure Island used to be gated, and you had to pay to enter in the evenings. Now it is open and free to anyone and everyone. You only have to pay if you want to enter the clubs.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. We are never in the Pleasure Island area in the evening so I wasn't aware it had changed.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-30-2007, 09:51 PM
The Port Orleans boat stopped over by the Rainforest Cafe. Then you take another boat to get across to the West side.
As for walking through, it's not a bad walk at all. I enjoy walking from DTD to the West Side and just checking everything out.

Sharon1026
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=wendy*darling;1236033]This is no longer true. Pleasure Island used to be gated, and you had to pay to enter in the evenings. Now it is open and free to anyone and everyone. You only have to pay if you want to enter the clubs.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. We are never in the Pleasure Island area in the evening so I wasn't aware it had changed.

I think they made the change for several reasons:
1. People who wander by and see the clubs may decide that they want to try it out and buy a ticket.
2. Restaurants in PI are open to everyone.
3. Better flow of foot traffic.
:stitch2:

Niecyboo
04-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Just to let you know, you can also run from Market place to West Side if your in the middle of a torrential downpour. But it's NOT fun. :bolt: