PDA

View Full Version : My Problem with ADR's

mjaclyn
03-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Okay...DH and I have been planning our next trip to WDW for a couple of months now. I have the new Intercot counter, I bought a passporter book and even made out several possible schedules based on the park hours for September. What can I say? I love to plan!

That being said, I was SO excited to book our ADR's at the 180 day mark recently. My problem is...our small trip of 3 (Me, DH and DD) has ballooned into a large trip of 12 because this will be DD's first visit to WDW. When I called to make the ADR's I was told that 90% of the restaurants I wanted to book couldn't guarantee that we would be sitting together unless we wanted to eat dinner at 4:00pm or 9:00pm. Now, honestly - who here wants to eat dinner at 4 or 9? 9:00 is not even an option with a 1yo.

This just doesn't make sense to me - WHY can't we sit together if I take the time to call six months in advance? Our family is spending thousands of dollars for this upcoming trip and we want to eat together - even if it means sitting at two or three tables side by side. IT just really made me angry that they won't accomodate us unless it's at a ridiculous hour that no one would want to book anyway. :mad:

Bottom Line: If I am taking the time to plan this far in advance, I should be able to reserve a table (or two or three) at least NEAR each other for our larger group. It's not like I'm calling two days before our trip...:mad:

DNS
03-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Wow, this really surprises me. Especially since Disney encourages larger gatherings. I keep reading that the dining plan is really causing some problems at TS places. I wonder if that has something to do with this. Either way, it's not right. Of course anyone would want to sit with their group.

raider97
03-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I think there is a seperate number you can call for larger groups. Don't know if they will be able to get you better times or not.

Dining reservations for larger traveling parties at Walt Disney World® Resort, make reservations by calling (407) WDW-DINE (407-939-3463).

We are going in late April and I called in early Feb. to make dining reservations and got all of our reservations except for Captain Jacks at one table. They told me Captain Jacks just didn't have tables for parties of eight. Granted not all of ours are at dinner... we have one breakfast, two dinners, and four lunches for our sit-down meals on the dining plan.

mjaclyn
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I called the regular dining number but then was transferred to someone who handles larger gatherings. I was told that for all but one (Ohana) meal we'd have separate tables, and that if we wanted to sit NEAR each other we'd have to eat at either the start of dinner or the end of dinner. I just don't think this is fair considering I called 6 months in advance.

pox24
03-26-2007, 03:34 PM
That's a surprise. Never had a problem with a group over 6. Usually we get there a little bit early and then ask to have two tables put together to seat more than 6. Never had a problem in any restaurant. My advice is to make the ADR for as many as you need and then get there early and ask like I described. After all its Disney.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
03-26-2007, 04:30 PM
When we went last May with a large group, I was told we might have to split up, but at the two meals we did (CRT breakfast and H & V dinner) we were able to at least sit near each other. CRT sat us together, H & V sat us one table apart.

Dopey's Girl
03-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I have had this issue...The CM explained to me that it's because of how they seat people. Basically to promise that you will all be near one another, one or more tables would have to sit empty until you got there, because they can't promise that if they fill one of the tables, the party sitting there will be done by the time you have your ADR. It stinks, but unless you are first to eat when they are just beginning to seat people, or last when everyone has left, it makes it harder to seat other parties, and to turn over tables efficiently.

Good luck planning!

PirateLover
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
I eat dinner at 4! I can totally understand your point though. I mean, a group of 12! You obviously are giving WDW a LOT of business, and they can't reserve you a few tables? I think Dopey's Girl's explanation is right on the money but it still leaves a little bit of a bad taste in your mouth....

tinkerbelle75
03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
We had a party of 11 last September,and the only place we couldn't get one table was at LeCellier,but the CM on the phone put in a request for the tables to be together and the staff did it.I say call back and see if you can get a more helpful CM,and also remember that everybody that stays at WDW is spending thousands of dollars!
Enjoy your trip!:mickey:

DNS
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
We eat out with family and friends in very crowded restaurants in Columbus and never have a problem with seating. This really kind of bugs me that they won't accommodate larger groups.

GreenBeetle
03-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm not surprised by this at all. When I called last year to make ADRs for our group of 15, we were almost always offered very early or very late seating times. They just couldn't guarantee sitting together during peak meal times. Luckily, we didn't have anyone in our group under 6 years old, so it all worked out. You would probably do better with a 4:00 meal and have a snack later.

Hope things work out for you too!

RenDuran
03-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Mjaclyn.... get seated at 4 and hang out at the table until 9 or 10 o'clock! There's nothing like having a big meal and just sitting around for a few hours or so!:marg:

Seriously, though, I hope you get your seating arrangement taken care of. I'm sure you'll get lucky and find someone at WDW that can help you out! :mickey:

LoriMistress
03-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Maybe that particular restraunt you made the ADR is a extremely popular restraunt. During the times that you selected might be their busiest time of the day. If you want your party to sit together set the time for 4pm or later. If you really want to have the ADR on the time that you want, then I don't see what's the big deal of being seperated for 1-2 hours?

Natazu
03-27-2007, 08:12 AM
I understand your frustration. Here's something that may ease your mind. Dining in large groups, you're really only sitting with the people within a few feet of you. If you're at a table for 12, you probably aren't interacting with people 5 chairs down. At someplace like Le Cellier, you may be better off at two or three tables really close together. Host CMs are good at putting the party close together when split up.

That's must my two cents so just in case, here's Jym's Best WDW Restaurants for Large Group Seating:
7. Spirit of Aloha (Poly Luau)
6. Whispering Canyon
5. 50s Prime Time Cafe
4. Biergarten
3. Marrakesh
2. Boma
1. ‘Ohana

JPL
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
My brother had similar problem during the off-season. The would not take larger reservations and they referred to a different number.

mjaclyn
03-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, here are the reservations I made and the only one the CM told me we could definitely sit together was at Ohana's.

Rose & Crown
Crystal Palace
Cinderella's Royal Table
Ohana
Le Cellier
Sci-Fi Dine in Theater
50's Prime Time Cafe
Coral Reef

Now, I did realize before I made the reservations that some of these places simply cannot accommodate more than 6 at a table (Sci-Fi) - but I was surprised that they said we probably wouldn't even be sitting near each other. I was hoping we could get two or three tables next to each other and at least be in the same vicinity. I guess we'll just have to get there early and see what the CM's can do.

Sharon1026
03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Well, here are the reservations I made and the only one the CM told me we could definitely sit together was at Ohana's.

Rose & Crown
Crystal Palace
Cinderella's Royal Table
Ohana
Le Cellier
Sci-Fi Dine in Theater
50's Prime Time Cafe
Coral Reef

Now, I did realize before I made the reservations that some of these places simply cannot accommodate more than 6 at a table (Sci-Fi) - but I was surprised that they said we probably wouldn't even be sitting near each other. I was hoping we could get two or three tables next to each other and at least be in the same vicinity. I guess we'll just have to get there early and see what the CM's can do.

Sci Fi car tables only really seat 4 people, I think. 50's Prime time is set up in small "kitchen" areas - you can't do 12 in there - there isn't space. Sorry you are frustrated, but reality is that there are tons of people wanting to eat besides your party - you are fortunate to have the same reservation time! Go with the flow - you are on vacation, after all. Maybe after you get to the restaurants and see the layouts, you will understand why they couldn't accomodate.

Jeff G
03-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Just my :twocents: .

We traveled as a group of 12 in September of 2005. We were given a special phone number like you and booked all of our meals as a group(LeCellier, Boma, 50's, Whispering Canyon and Chef Mickey's).

The large groups made the trip miserable. Many times we waited over an hour after our initial ADR time while they got out tables ready. The average meal took our family 2-3 hours from the time we arrived at the restaurant until the time we paid and left. That was way to much of our WDW time spent on meals. Granted this was the first year they offered the free dining plan I would imagine longer waits and service time is common at WDW for larger groups.

Last year we had a larger group again and we took the 4:00 time at LeCellier and it worked great, yes it was early but we were out by 5:30 and on our way. We spilt up the rest of the meals to avoid the long meal times.

Hopefully this will make you feel better.

mjaclyn
03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
reality is that there are tons of people wanting to eat besides your party - you are fortunate to have the same reservation time!

Hmm. I guess calling 180 days in advance means nothing then.