PDA

View Full Version : Disney Marathon Weekend

DisneyLove
03-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Hello!

My sister and I signed up for the half marathon next January, and I was looking for some pointers from people who have run it before or been down at that time of year on what to expect, etc. We're not runners but we do other sports (I pay softball and do karate and my sister plays basketball and lacrosse). We figured if we started training now, we should be ok, so from anyone here who runs, does that sound reasonable? We figured no better motivation than to run in Disney. Thanks in advance for your help,

Katie:mickey:

Tuke
03-26-2007, 09:02 AM
I am a runner, and have done three Disney marathons. Get ready for a fantastic run! The most professionally run race I have ever entered. There are many full and half marathon training guides available on the web, and you should be working on your base training days now.
Before you start though, I can not overstate the criticality of getting the correct shoes. Go to your local running store and have them analyze your gait, then buy the shoes that match. I personally recommend ASICS Gel brand shoes, and 99% of my running freinds agree that they're the best shoes made. Period. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have, it's going to be fun!!

Maleficent's Dad
03-26-2007, 09:35 AM
We're not runners but we do other sports (I pay softball and do karate and my sister plays basketball and lacrosse). We figured if we started training now, we should be ok, so from anyone here who runs, does that sound reasonable?
First off - congratulations and good luck in your 1/2 marathon!
You're getting an early start for the 1/2 marathon, and that will help you immensely. You and your sister both sound athletic, so starting a running regimen now will certainly be beneficial. To be honest, 13.1 miles is a world of difference from the full marathon - I don't think you'll have any problems (based on what you stated above).
DW and I ran the 1/2 marathon two years ago when it was still combined with the full marathon. We're both athletic and run on and off. We (essentially) "trained" for the 1/2 marathon from September through January (keep in mind, we do exercise regularly and keep in shape, so getting into a stricter regimen was not a difficult adjustment for us). We did not run it to be competitive - but did have a 2 hour goal in mind.
That 1/2 marathon was, by far, one of the easiest runs I've ever had. We accomplished out 2 hour goal and ran the whole way together. It was tremendous fun, and running through Disney - ESPECIALLY EPCOT - was awe-inspiring to the both of us. :mickey:

We figured no better motivation than to run in Disney. Thanks in advance for your help,
I cannnot understate how accurate your Disney statement is. The run was easier than I expected, and I attribute much of that to the environment in which I was running.
It's a flat course, the weather is perfect for running (usually), and you have Mickey and friends cheering you on! What more could you ask???
Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

Tink1
03-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Katie!

Not a runner so I cannot help with that, but I see your location listed as Hirakata City, Osaka prefecture, Japan. Are you at Kansai Gaidai? My son is there this year as well. He goes running if you want company.

Nanci