PDA

View Full Version : Family wins night in castle and didn't have park tickets!

pdrlkr
03-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I just read this article fr the Columbus Dispatch. Pretty cool! :thumbsup:

Family wears unexpected glass slipper during vacation
Sunday, March 18, 2007
STEVE STEPHENS
RON WINGET
Brent and Bethany Winget enjoy Cinderella?s hospitality.

Sometimes dreams do come true, even dreams you didn?t know you had. Last month, the Winget family of Fredericktown started on a routine shopping trip and ended up spending the night in Cinderella?s Castle. The magic happened while Ron and Carolyn Winget and children Brent, 5, and Bethany, 2, were visiting relatives near Orlando, Fla., along with Mrs. Winget?s parents, Paul and Marcella Phillips.

Although the children and Mrs. Winget are big Disney fans ("Eeyore was always my favorite," Mrs. Winget said), the family hadn?t planned to visit Walt Disney World until the children were a bit older.

But those plans changed when Brent went for a drink at the water fountain at the Downtown Disney Marketplace mall near Orlando. His drink ? the right place at the right time ? marked him and his family as the winner of the day?s Disney Dream Giveaway.

Before you could say "Bippity boppity boo," the family was whisked away for an all-expensespaid overnight stay in Cinderella?s Castle at Disney World.

"We signed the papers, and they picked us up and took us to the park and a ride in an antiquecar parade," Mrs. Winget recalled.

"The kids thought it was great. They got tired of waving."

The family also spent time in the park, rode some rides and had dinner at Cinderella?s Royal Table, the restaurant at the castle.

The castle?s interior had been planned as accommodations for the Walt Disney family, but that idea was dropped before the park opened. The interior had never been used before ? a lavish guest suite was completed as part of the park?s 2007 "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration. On most days this year, one family will be selected randomly at the park or at Downtown Disney Marketplace to receive free accommodations at the castle that night. The Wingets were the fourth contest winners. "After the fireworks display, I think it finally sunk in that everybody was leaving the park and we were staying," Mrs. Winget said. Brent "was in awe of that," she said. The suite featured two queen-size beds and a parlor sofa, perfect for a family of six. The rooms were furnished in a style appropriate for Cinderella, with stained-glass windows, carved wood wall coverings and panels, porcelain accessories and copper sink basins. But perhaps most magical were the 21 st-century touches, Mrs. Winget said. The kids used the huge garden tub as a miniswimming pool. And the 17 th-century-style portrait of Cinderella over the fireplace transformed itself into a high-definition television. "And they could watch any Disney movie, of course," Mrs. Winget said. "They watched Cars." "I love the cars," Brent rejoined. Even the youngest member of the family was impressed. Bethany "has no trouble remembering" the experience, her mother said. "The other day she came in the room and did a little dance and said, "I spent a night in Cinderella?s Castle! " "I really liked staying in the castle," Brent said. "And I saw the glass slipper! " To top things off, the family met Cinderella, Mickey Mouse and, to Mrs. Winget?s delight, the gang from Winnie the Pooh?s 100-Acre Wood, including Eeyore. They did not, however, meet Brent?s favorite character, Donald Duck. "No, he was gone," said Brent, somewhat wistfully. Oh, well. That?s a dream for another day. Steve Stephens is Dispatch travel writer.

CleveSJM
03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Cool! I'm interested to know how he was notified. It couldn't have been a classic Dream Team standing by the water fountain. They would have been swamped. Must have been a more stealth CM...

Great story!

DizNee143
03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
that is so awesome...and all he wanted was a sip of water...and instead got tospend a night in Disney!! thank you for sharing that with us...thats really cool about that family!! :mickey:

kadesha
03-25-2007, 11:36 AM
that is a great story!!

DisneyGiant
03-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Now I'm going to be randomly sipping that yucky water while we're there - just in case we might win something!!! :D :silly::laughing::funny:

SBETigg
03-25-2007, 11:42 AM
What a wonderful prize for a worthy family. Sweet story! Now if only the reporter could have copy-edited his own story for the correct spelling of Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo. (picky, I know!).

battle beast
03-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Man I wish I could win something, but they ONLY give to families. I know this because when I was at DL, last Christmas, I was exiting Pirates. There were several groups of two and three ahead of me and my friend, and RIGHT BEHIND US was a family of seven. They won Dream Passes. They were the only "family" in the exit line. And from what most people have said over the last few months, it's only been families winning.:mad:

chicade88
03-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Man I wish I could win something, but they ONLY give to families. I know this because when I was at DL, last Christmas, I was exiting Pirates. There were several groups of two and three ahead of me and my friend, and RIGHT BEHIND US was a family of seven. They won Dream Passes. They were the only "family" in the exit line. And from what most people have said over the last few months, it's only been families winning.:mad:

Thats what I thought it looked like as well while I'm still hoping that me and my DBF still have a shot! We're paying, like everyone else, so I would hope it has just been coincidence up to now!

JPL
03-25-2007, 12:08 PM
All winner selection is random they don't only choose families. The computer selects criteria like the 3rd person to sit on that bench or the the person on train 5 row seat 6 on a particualr ride. This contest is regulated by state gaming commisions and has to be conducted this way.

The odds are in favor of a family winning since WDW is a family destination. If you took a drink out of that same water fountain at the particular time you would have won the stay in the castle.

Maleficent's Dad
03-25-2007, 12:44 PM
That really is a great story. I've been waiting to hear about someone (other than that AP reporter) who spent the night in the castle! :thumbsup:

garymacd
03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Born and bred Canadian!!!
Canadian football... there is NO better brand of football!!!

Go Eskimoes....Right after the Ti-Cats!!!

MNNHFLTX
03-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Man I wish I could win something, but they ONLY give to families. I know this because when I was at DL, last Christmas, I was exiting Pirates. There were several groups of two and three ahead of me and my friend, and RIGHT BEHIND US was a family of seven. They won Dream Passes. They were the only "family" in the exit line. And from what most people have said over the last few months, it's only been families winning.:mad:It is definitely not just families winning. Two friends (unrelated to each other) won Dream Fast Passes together at Disneyland last November. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
03-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I hate to drink out of public water fountains.. But, I guess it pays off in Disney... :)

Mariašoš
03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I hate to drink out of public water fountains.. But, I guess it pays off in Disney... :)

A couple of my work study students (work at a local University) just got back from spring break at Disney. They won Dream Fastpasses while at MGM after exiting RnR.

pdrlkr
03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Now I'm going to be randomly sipping that yucky water while we're there - just in case we might win something!!! :D :silly::laughing::funny:

I was thinking the exact same thing! :sick:

Jeff G
03-26-2007, 10:10 AM
What an awesome surprise!

jedigrrrl
03-26-2007, 11:08 AM

This is absurd. They would never open themselves up to such legal issues. It's just dumb luck(or lack thereof) for you and your friend.

Nascfan
03-26-2007, 12:10 PM
What a wonderful surprise for them!

It's nice to hear how happy some of the winners are. :thumbsup: :mickey:

BellewanaB
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
"That really is a great story. I've been waiting to hear about someone (other than that AP reporter) who spent the night in the castle! "
-Maleficent's Dad

HA! ahh ha ha.... Maleficent's Dad- you rock!
:clappy:

CleveSJM
03-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Thats what I thought it looked like as well while I'm still hoping that me and my DBF still have a shot! We're paying, like everyone else, so I would hope it has just been coincidence up to now!

It's completely random and,for the lower end prizes, they give away about 100 at a time, not just 5 or 6. I won twice and saw a bunch of people winning passes or ears. You just need to be in an line at the right time. The line makes it random and keeps the Dream Team from getting swamped. Both times I won they were handing out the dreams are you got on the ride.

The more lines the better!!! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
03-26-2007, 03:01 PM
That's cool.

cgriff
03-26-2007, 03:25 PM
The article indicates that this family was the "fourth to win the prize." I'm not sure of the dateline of the article, because it only starts out by saying "Last month"... But certainly they've awared the stay to more than four families prior to February. One would expect so anyway.