INTERCOT - Walt Disney World Inside & Out - Info Central
New England Clam Chowder
International Food and Wine Festival
1 qt. Canned, minced clams w/ juice
or freshly shucked clams w/juice
¾ qt. Water
5 oz. Salt Pork, ground or cut into fine dice
½ lb. Onions, small dice
2 oz. Flour
1 lb. Potatoes, small dice
2½ qt. Milk, hot
1 cup Heavy cream, hot
1) Drain the clams. If you are using fresh clams, chop them, being sure to
save all the juice.
2) Combine the juice and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
3) Remove from heat and keep the liquid hot for step 7.
4) In a heavy sauce pot or stock pot, render the salt pork over medium heat.
5) Add the onions and cook slowly until they are soft, but do not brown.
6) Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook the roux slowly for 3-4
minutes, but do not let it brown.
7) Using a wire whip, slowly stir the clam liquid and water into the roux.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to make sure the liquid is smooth.
8) Add the potatoes. Simmer until tender. (If you are using large, tough
"chowder" clams, pass them once through a grinder and add them with the
9) Stir in the clams and the hot milk and cream. Heat gently but do not
10) Season to taste with salt and white pepper
New Page 1
INTERCOT Insider is a twice monthly email
update with tips and
To subscribe, enter your email address: