Quantcast Farewell Maelstrom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Farewell Maelstrom

Today Maelstrom will be closing. I'm glad I had a trip planned for late last month and was able to ride a couple more times.

I'll miss the memories I had waiting in the same line, riding the same ride as I did w/ my parents as a kid, and doing the same thing all over with my family.

I'll miss looking at the big mural, waiting to board. I also really like cruising past the early days in Norway.

Long live the high seas adventure. In memory, I thought it would be fun for folks to post either what they'll miss, or a good memory of the ride.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Today Maelstrom will be closing. I'm glad I had a trip planned for late last month and was able to ride a couple more times.

I'll miss the memories I had waiting in the same line, riding the same ride as I did w/ my parents as a kid, and doing the same thing all over with my family.

I'll miss looking at the big mural, waiting to board. I also really like cruising past the early days in Norway.

Long live the high seas adventure. In memory, I thought it would be fun for folks to post either what they'll miss, or a good memory of the ride.
    I'll miss the narration the most.
    Apr 87 - Offsite
    Mar 92 - Offsite
    Jul 99 - Offsite
    Aug 99 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    Jul 03 - ASMu
    Aug 05 - Pop Century
    May 07 - ASSp
    Aug 08 - Poly/ASMu
    Mar 09 - Pop
    Sept 10 - Pop
    Oct-Nov 11 - Pop
    Nov 13 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    Jun-Jul 14 - ASSp
    Jun 15 - Pop
    Aug 15 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the narration too. I will always have the memory of traveling up the hill and the light coming out of the eye while the story is being told.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite memory of this ride is the time our youngest DD decided she liked it. She used to get very nervous about rides and didn't like Maelstrom until she was about 8. We tried it again on a trip and when we got off she said, "I loved it!" It was great to know on trips after that, that it we'd all enjoy the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that it took years of riding before my kids accepted that we were never going to go backward down the falls. It was one of those things where they knew but were still hoping that this time, we'd actually go down. It was magical to feel their excitement and anticipation.

For me? I'll miss the trolls and the narration. I have a lot of affection for this ride.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

love to see how others like the same things about the ride that I did. I always rode this at least twice each visit, and I always seemed to notice something different every time.

I always enjoyed how dark it was inside, and how cold it felt as you traveled the "Norway oceans". It was always a nice break on a warm day. It also had that very unique "WDW water ride smell" that only we here seem to get. The only thing I disliked about it was that it was too short. Still, it was an excuse to take another ride later in the day.

I'm over the whole frozen deal, and wish this didn't take over so much, but it is what it is. Maybe I can ride the new Norway ride the way I ride the Mexico ride. You know, enjoy the similar elements of the old ride while trying to ignore Donald.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

IF they reuse the ride structure (not just the location), wow... I can't imagine the kinds of lines a Frozen ride will have, for such a short ride loop that the current Maelstrom has. Surely they'll scrap the whole thing, and just use the space (plus some more further back) to make a longer ride.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is the village at the end. My kids and I were able to ride it one last time on Friday, September 26. When we got off in the village, we stood around taking tons of photos. We also took the time to sit and enjoy their film afterwards.

I tried to pay attention to all the details during the ride. I too will miss the journey up the hill at the start of the ride. I honestly felt remorse at the loss of this ride for future generations, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Wasn't there a time when you had to wait for the film to finish before they'd let you through the doors to exit?
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Wasn't there a time when you had to wait for the film to finish before they'd let you through the doors to exit?
    Yes, and before that they would try very hard to make you stay for the film. I kind of felt sorry for them as people dodged and weaved to get past them.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

There was also a time when they wouldn't start the Universe of Energy or Dinosaur pre-show videos until everyone was in the show room. Now, walk in when you like right in the middle of the video playing... and loose 60% of the story...

Ah, yes, there was a time when show truly mattered in WDW... Now, it is all about money, money, money.. Show quality has taken a back seat...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    There was also a time when they wouldn't start the Universe of Energy or Dinosaur pre-show videos until everyone was in the show room. Now, walk in when you like right in the middle of the video playing... and loose 60% of the story...

Ah, yes, there was a time when show truly mattered in WDW... Now, it is all about money, money, money.. Show quality has taken a back seat...
    I don't know... in this case, I think it's practical. If guests are eager to move on and get through, you don't want to slow them down. No one wants to wait anymore. People want to move on and get to the next thing. It's sad that there are so many wonderful details being passed up all over the parks, but so it goes. There are still some of us who take time to appreciate, but I think we're in the minority. And even though I appreciate details, I was glad when they started keeping the doors open and letting the movie run instead of making you feel like you had to run and dodge through if you didn't want to sit through the film. You can only watch it so many times. But right now, I would love to watch it again.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We are on a weekend vacation, I didn't even realize the date. Today, My kids and I were talking about the maelstrom ride -the trolls and going back, back as directed from the glowing eyes. This ride will be missed by my family too bad we didn't get time to plan one last ride in before it went down.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I will miss this attraction.

and show quality has taken a back seat? LOL
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I don't know... in this case, I think it's practical. If guests are eager to move on and get through, you don't want to slow them down. No one wants to wait anymore. People want to move on and get to the next thing. It's sad that there are so many wonderful details being passed up all over the parks, but so it goes. There are still some of us who take time to appreciate, but I think we're in the minority. And even though I appreciate details, I was glad when they started keeping the doors open and letting the movie run instead of making you feel like you had to run and dodge through if you didn't want to sit through the film. You can only watch it so many times. But right now, I would love to watch it again.
    I agree. All change is not bad. I do get nostalgic by the same token. I loved the quaintness of the attraction when I first rode it some 15 years ago. The ending in the village is my favorite part as well. I wished the ride had been more like that. The beginning [with history] and the ending are the best. The trolls portion is a bit fairy tale-ish and never really did 'fit" IMO.
    So yeah, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    I will miss this attraction.

and show quality has taken a back seat? LOL
    Agree with the sentiment. Like your other thread points out, Disney is still the best hands down. I actually think they do a great job of keeping up with what the majority customer base wants. 100% of the people will never be happy at once. So if a change makes the majority happy *and* brings a profit. More power to them!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is the village at the end. My kids and I were able to ride it one last time on Friday, September 26. When we got off in the village, we stood around taking tons of photos. We also took the time to sit and enjoy their film afterwards.
    You know, I just realized that I don't think we've ever gotten any pictures of this ride. I'll have to look back through our photos. I am glad that we rode it and stopped to watch the movie (for the first time in years) when we were there in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    You know, I just realized that I don't think we've ever gotten any pictures of this ride. I'll have to look back through our photos. I am glad that we rode it and stopped to watch the movie (for the first time in years) when we were there in the spring.
    I never did either. I didn't think we were allowed to take flash pictures and I think that's all that would show up with my camera. LOL.

I'm such a geek, I think I"m the only one who actually loved the film. I love coastal towns so that part of the movie really was my favorite.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I never did either. I didn't think we were allowed to take flash pictures and I think that's all that would show up with my camera. LOL.
    Yup, no flash photography. But, we can turn our flash off. It's not like we get great pictures that way, but I like to try sometimes. Even a blurry/dark picture can be a good memory. And, sometimes I get lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Yup, no flash photography. But, we can turn our flash off. It's not like we get great pictures that way, but I like to try sometimes. Even a blurry/dark picture can be a good memory. And, sometimes I get lucky.
    When we got to the village, I was using my iPhone without the flash. I was surprised how well the pictures were turning out and made a comment about the quality without flash. The CM standing there must have misunderstood because she kept telling me I was allowed to use the flash. I wonder if it's because the ride was heading for closure and they were allowing exceptions.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I had three favorite parts of this ride -- the swirling sparkles overhead when the trolls sent you over the falls, looking backwards over my shoulder out into the park at the turn, and splashing down into the oil drilling area with the storm.

Thank goodness for YouTube.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Was able to take one more plunge on Saturday. Woke up early to get there before it opened so I could get in before the massive F&W crowds got there haha.

I really loved the whole ride but my favourite parts were splashing down into the North Sea and looking up at the oil platform.

After that, pulling into the disembarking area always made me long for being back in Sweden at my uncles place as he is right on the Norwegian border and there is a village that looks exactly like that.

I will miss this ride so much.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: