Quantcast Disney takes control of Disney Stores

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney takes control of Disney Stores

Looks like it's official now.

- From USA Today -
    The Walt Disney Company Takes Control of Disney Stores in North America

BURBANK, Calif., May 01, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Walt Disney Company [DIS] today announced that it has acquired the Disney Store chain in North America from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores, Inc. As a result of the transaction, which consisted of an asset purchase by Disney's subsidiaries through the bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings of Hoop Retail Stores, LLC in Delaware and Hoop Canada, Inc. in Canada, Disney acquired approximately 220 Disney Stores in the United States and Disney Stores in Canada, with actual number of acquired stores dependent upon the outcome of negotiations with landlords. Disney also obtained the right to conduct an orderly wind-down and closure of approximately 98 Disney Stores in the United States and two Disney Stores in Canada, but without assuming the leases for such stores.

"From Cars to High School Musical to Disney Fairies, Disney's entertainment engines are producing multiple popular franchises," said Andy Mooney, chairman of Disney Consumer Products. "The Disney Stores can play a vital role in touching the millions who cross their thresholds. With the reach of a global retail chain, we will be better able to take advantage of our franchises."

Mr. Mooney announced that retail and Disney veteran James D. Fielding has accepted the position of President, Disney Stores Worldwide. Mr. Fielding will oversee merchandising and all other operations of the Disney Stores in North America and the 107 existing Disney Stores in Europe, as well as manage the relationship with Oriental Land Company, which operates the Disney Stores in Japan under a license arrangement.

SOURCE: The Walt Disney Company
    Let's hope it turns out better than it did the first time.

My sympathies to those who are losing their jobs.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Looks like it's official now.

Let's hope it turns out better than it did the first time.

My sympathies to those who are losing their jobs.

the reason the disney store went south is because they overexpanded and tried to squeeze water out of rocks.....

Paul Pressler

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the quality & selection of merchandise get better
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome news that Disney is taking them back!!!! Is there a list yet of which stores will be closing?
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out for the better.
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Return of the Classics . . .

. . . The Killer Tomatoes
    . . . Bell Bottom Pants
    . . . 1956 Chevy's
    . . . Huge Gobs of Plushes at Disney Stores
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see it happen.
    Getting 30% discount was better than getting 20% discount.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the list of those who really want this to work but have deep reservations after the way they botched it the first time. I realize that management at many levels of the Disney Company have changed since they last owned the stores but that doesn't mean they know anymore about retail than they did before. Does anyone know anything about this James Fielding who is taking over as President of the retail business? Does he have a background that is really relevant or is it just window dressing? I also hope he understands the history of what has gone on before at the Disney Stores so that he hopefully can pick the good from the bad!

By the way, since the Disney Company is now officially back in the retail business does that mean this James Fielding also becomes responsible for the stores inside the parks as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this James Fielding who is taking over as President of the retail business? Does he have a background that is really relevant or is it just window dressing?
    Don't know a lot about him but he was in merchandising for 10 years with the GAP and has also been with J.Peterman and Land's End. That's got to be worth something.

Time will tell, but my recollection was that the stores were better before they were taken over by The Children's Place so there's hope.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I hope they open one here in Puerto Rico. We used to have one but it closed before it got sold to the children's place. I am optimistic about Disney taking back TDS, management has changed and I trust they will do a good job.

*BTW, it shows this is my first post but actually I have been visiting Intercot for years and I used to be a member and active poster but I stopped posting and forgot my password. But now I am back!*
    Fall 2004 College Program Alumni and Campus Rep.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they've figured out that they need to include better merchandise for the adults and not just fill the store with junk for the kids. (and generally I do mean junk).

They still had some nice stuff and *occasionally* they had something for the adults that was worthwhile...though you have to figure that for the nice stuff you take the TCP already overpriced prices and add the Disney premium...holy cow. even their clearances were usually a joke.

We still shop there and I hope our local store stays open but that it becomes more fun again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goof42 View Post
    Hopefully they've figured out that they need to include better merchandise for the adults...(and generally I do mean junk)
    I agree 100%!

Thank goodness I am near the WOD store in Manhattan, because the "adult" offerings at Disney Store were mostly a joke. I actually found better stuff at the Disney Store outlet in Woodbury Commons upstate than at the stores in my local malls.

WDW:
    1991 (offsite)
    2001 (POR)
    2005 (POFQ)
    2006 (1 day trip to Epcot)
    2010 (POFQ)
    2014 (offsite DTD/Epcot)
    2014 (Holiday trip - Beach Club)
    DL:
    1990 (offsite)
    2003 (Paradise Pier)
    2007 (Grand Californian)
    2012 (Grand Californian)
    DCL:
    2012 (2 night cruise from NYC!)

Post Thanks / Like

Not getting my hopes up. The closest store is 150 miles round trip and you can't afford to go there and come home with nothing. Such junk!!! It's probably one on the closing list.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Don't know a lot about him but he was in merchandising for 10 years with the GAP and has also been with J.Peterman and Land's End. That's got to be worth something.

Time will tell, but my recollection was that the stores were better before they were taken over by The Children's Place so there's hope.
    Paul Pressler ran the 1300 disney stores into oblivion....because there shouldn't have been 1300

then he got promoted and started to run the parks into oblivion.....

the he left to take over the GAP.....

their stock fell.....he was tossed out 2 years ago......

the point is that i hope this new head of disney stores isn't associated with Paulie in any way.....what a schmuck that guy was

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE
    *BTW, it shows this is my first post but actually I have been visiting Intercot for years and I used to be a member and active poster but I stopped posting and forgot my password. But now I am back!*[/QUOTE]

Back!
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Just found out they are apparently not closing any of the South Florida stores. Also, TCP inventory is still in the store although the new summer line for adults has some interesting selections. Not much of course and there doesn't appear to be a "family" outfit...

Looks like all snow globes are on sale as well...
    (50% off on regular and 40% off of clearance)

Post Thanks / Like

Just found out this past weekend that both of the Disney Stores in the St. Louis area are closing. I was at one of them on Saturday, and there's a big sign out front that says something like, "Sorry folks, this store is scheduled to close." I asked the CM at the register when it would be official, and she said they'd be totally closed up in 6-7 weeks. She also told me that the other St. Louis store is closing, too. I was crushed! I was really hoping they'd keep at least one of them open, but no such luck. Now, if I want to go to a Disney store, the closest ones to me will be Chicago (5-hour drive) or Branson, MO, (another 5-hour drive). Darn it.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Found out yesterday they are not closing the Knoxville TN store. Yea!!
    Not much of a sale (except for the snowglobes).

Can't wait to see the changes Disney makes....I did see one change already (at least I think I did). It seems like the shirts the employees were wearing were different, red with white mouse ears over the pocket. Am I dreaming or these shirts what they have been wearing?
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

First visit to Disney World 1991
    Countless visits since
    Most recent: Oct 2006
    November 2006
    Feb 2007
    June 2007
    October 2007-2 weeks
    Feb 2008
    June 2008
    Feb 2009
    Oct 2009- HHI Disney Vacation
    Jan 2011

Post Thanks / Like

The closest one we've had is about 40 miles away at the Maine Mall and when we were there on Sunday they told us that it's closing.
    Last edited by tinkerbellybutton; 05-06-2008 at 12:14 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

lockedoutlogic Guest

Unless they drastically improve the product....the loss of a disney store really isn't that big of a deal....

disneyshopping.com has a much better selection...and it's there are always promotions that bring the price down to the same or less than the retail price at the stores....

just some perspective....there are other ways to get your fix....

perhaps if they tear it down a little and rebuild a better store.....some of the closures will come back in new development later