Quantcast Epcot 25th Anniversary Celebration / Epcot Rededication Ceremony 10/1/07

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Epcot 25th Anniversary Celebration / Epcot Rededication Ceremony 10/1/07

9/18/07

Epcot Expands 25th Anniversary Plans
    Disney reconsiders its plans on how to celebrate the milestone.

Scott Powers |Staff Writer
    Orlando Sentinel
    September 18, 2007

Pressed by fans, Walt Disney World is expanding its observance of Epcot's 25th anniversary by providing company-sponsored public events to go along with private celebrations already set for Oct.1.

Disney is now planning a public "rededication ceremony" inside Epcot that day that will echo much of the original 1982 dedication. It also will have an exhibit hall dedicated to the park's first 25 years; a special "IlluminNations" light show at the close of the day; and retro guide maps, restaurant menus and other souvenirs.

Still, the observances are far less involved than those Disney has already organized for Epcot employees -- less even than some of the private events organized by Disney fans.

Disney officials had indicated earlier this year that there would be no company-sponsored public observances of Epcot's silver anniversary. Instead, they said commemorations would focus on the theme park's employees.

Many Epcot fans used various Internet forums to criticize Disney for not planning a public marking of the Epcot milestone. The fans also used the Internet to organize private celebrations. As their private arrangements picked up steam this summer, Disney apparently reconsidered its plans.

Epcot's new vice president, Jim MacPhee, announced in June that some sort of public celebration would take place. He also disclosed that Disney would take down the wand-and-arm structure that had towered over Epcot's signature attraction, Spaceship Earth, since 1999.

Now Disney is providing details of the public observances that will be available to paying visitors to the park on Oct. 1.

MacPhee, one of Epcot's original employees from 1982, said the anniversary is still focused on employees, particularly the 300 who both opened the park and still work there. That effort began earlier this month, with various commemorative decorations, giveaways and employee recognitions.

"We've always planned to celebrate the 25th anniversary for our cast. It began to evolve very quickly as we focused on what a great milestone it is," MacPhee said. "It's great. I love the fact that people have such huge passion about what we're doing."

The resort's change of heart may be partly attributed to the emerging success of various private Epcot parties...Disney officials have noticed the private preparations, and have called organizers to help coordinate the official and unofficial events.

9/15/07

The Walt Disney World Resort has made the following internal announcement:
    While the Year of a Million Dreams celebration continues across all of Walt Disney World, Guests who are visiting Epcot on October 1 will know they are a part of a special day as the park commemorates its anniversary in a number of ways:

As part of the celebration, Guests will be invited to take a stroll down memory lane with a Disney legend, Marty Sklar. A Disney employee since 1955 and dubbed the official Imagineering Ambassador, Marty has been putting smiles on the faces of children and parents alike for nearly 50 years. Guests can hear his captivating stories of Disney history and enjoy his unique perspective on the magical future of Walt Disney World Resort.

Guests visiting the park on October 1 will also be able to attend the rededication of the park.

In addition, Guests will have the opportunity to visit the Epcot 25th Anniversary Gallery to explore the fascinating journey that brought Epcot from dream to reality. This exclusive exhibit showcases concept art, models and memorabilia from the early days of Epcot.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason,
    Thanks for the information. Any idea when and where the festivities (such as they are) will be held? We will be at EPCOT on the 1st. It happens to be MY birthday as well - although I'm considerably older than EPCOT.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Any other Intercotees planning on being in Epcot on the 1st? This is our arrival day and I was going back and forth about what to do after check in... and now I know!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

In addition, Guests will have the opportunity to visit the Epcot 25th Anniversary Gallery to explore the fascinating journey that brought Epcot from dream to reality. This exclusive exhibit showcases concept art, models and memorabilia from the early days of Epcot.
    Does anybody know how long this will be in Epcot? I will be in WDW at the end of October and would hope it would still be there.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    Any other Intercotees planning on being in Epcot on the 1st? This is our arrival day and I was going back and forth about what to do after check in... and now I know!
    We will also be there that day. Unfortunately, we are leaving on the 2nd, so this will be our last full day at the World I am excited to think that we will be able to participate in history!!
    Waiting does not seem long once it is accomplished.Old Saying.

Feb '98, POFQ
    Nov '98, Car. Beach
    Mar 2000, All-Music
    Oct '01, Cont.
    Jan '03. All-Music
    Nov '03, Royal Plaza
    Dec '04, Pop-Cent.
    Sept '05, All-Sports
    Jan '06, POFQ
    Dec '06, WL
    Sept '07, AKL
    Apr. '08, Hilton/GF
    Dec. '08, GF

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Jason.

Well, at least they're doing something. It seems to me that they don't even really want to acknowledge EPCOT's 25th. I was at MK for it's 25th, and at DL for the 50th. EPCOT's 25th should be just as big, not an afterthought.

Bringing back Tapestry of Nations/ Dreams would be a nice start...

WDW- '71, '74, '83, '88, '89, '97, '98, '99, '00 (x2), '01, NYE '02/'03, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07 (x2), '08, '09 (x2)
    DCL (Magic)- '99
    DL Paris- '01
    DL/ DCA- '05

Magic Music Days- '88, '98, '00, '05, '07, '09
    Festival Disney- '05, '07, '09
    DVC Member Since 2000 (Vero, BC & Saratoga)

Post Thanks / Like

Someone told me that The Dreamfinder and Figment will reunite and make an appearence at the rededication ceremony... anyone else hear this? Jason, I'm looking your way.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the official public re-dedication ceremony will kick off with Marty Sklar speaking at 10AM at the Fountain of Nations plaza and if you have an opportunity to hear Marty speak then it's definitely a worthwhile experience.

As for the exhibit that's being put together for Epcot's 25th- I think the gallery set up is going into Innoventions (and there's a fairly large amount of floor space dedicated to the exhibit so it should be around for a while and won't be just a 1 day thing).

And, I expect a lot of fans of the classic EPCOT Center elements will be happy with some of the merchandise that you can expect will be making it's way into the park for the 25th...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    I believe the official public re-dedication ceremony will kick off with Marty Sklar speaking at 10AM at the Fountain of Nations plaza and if you have an opportunity to hear Marty speak then it's definitely a worthwhile experience.

As for the exhibit that's being put together for Epcot's 25th- I think the gallery set up is going into Innoventions (and there's a fairly large amount of floor space dedicated to the exhibit so it should be around for a while and won't be just a 1 day thing).

And, I expect a lot of fans of the classic EPCOT Center elements will be happy with some of the merchandise that you can expect will be making it's way into the park for the 25th...
    First off, I agree totally with you about hearing Marty speak. John and I had that chance at IAAPA a few years ago and it was really an amazing experience.

John still makes fun of me for the way I gushed at him.

Good news on the Epcot merch, too. I'm excited to see what's there when I'm down for the 10th in a few weeks.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Well, so much for them not celebrating the 25th at all. Not as much as I would like, but it's alot better than having nothing.

Like Chris, I'm hoping that this gallery will still be around at the end of October during my trip up there.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a Disney DVD that contained Walt's original plans for EPCOT. I believe it was titled Tomorrowland, Disc 2. It was completely captivating! When I ride the TTA at MK, there is a miniature city that reminds me of that video. Is that a replica of Walt's vision? Do you think they'll ever sell something of that nature (during the 25th celebration, perhaps)?
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

but Ill b leaving WDW Sept 30th
    mayb i can spot something a day early
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I'll definitely be attending this event. Getting to see the Imagineering Ambassador himself in person will be such an honor, not to mention any other surprises that could be in store. Being that Epcot is my favorite of the parks, I can't refuse a once-in-a-lifetime opporunity like this.

Post Thanks / Like

I am SO looking forward to being at EPCOT Center on October 1st. It is DH's B-day and we have ressies at Le Cellier, so we will definitely be going there for the day. I cannot wait to hear Marty Sklar - I have chills just thinking about it!
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, is there any word on if they are keeping anything for after the 1st? Merch? Exhibits?

Anything?
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn
    Jason,
    Thanks for the information.Any idea when and where the festivities (such as they are)
    See Mufasa's Post.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip309
    Someone told me that The Dreamfinder and Figment will reunite and make an appearance at the re-dedication ceremony... anyone else hear this? Jason, I'm looking your way.
    Given the amount of a retro theme it seems like a potentiality, although there is a heap of Dreamfinder related speculation/rumours that have circulated over the last months to a year that have yet to have any avail.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb26
    Does anybody know how long this will be in Epcot? I will be in WDW at the end of October and would hope it would still be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDudet
    is there any word on if they are keeping anything for after the 1st? Merch? Exhibits?
    Over the past months retro/classic EPCOT and EPCOT Center merchandise has been introduced into the park. With in the last week some 25th anniversary merchandise has appeared. In It is likely these lines (and anything esle added) will still be around for a while after the 1st.

Based on the official descriptions so far, the exhibit sounds semi-permanent, at least more so than just a day.

The only things that seem to be limited to October 1st appear to be the dedication ceremony, the Illuminations finale and the "retro" menus/guide maps.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jason!

I also liked your usage of the word potentiality!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    When I ride the TTA at MK, there is a miniature city that reminds me of that video. Is that a replica of Walt's vision?
    The Progress City model that you see on the TTA at WDW now is only a very small fraction of a larger model that originally took up the majority of the second floor of the Carousel of Progress (now Innoventions) in Disneyland from 1967-1973.

At the end of act IV of the Carousel of Progress guests would take a speedramp up to the 2nd floor where there was about a 4 minute accompanying audio post-show narrated by the mother/father from the Carousel of Progress. It was brought to WDW in 1975 I believe.

The original model was about 160 foot long- built at a scale of 1/8 inch to a foot and took up around 6,900 square feet.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: