Quantcast SNA vs LAX

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: SNA vs LAX

Post Thanks / Like

Default SNA vs LAX

Ok - it's looking like flying into LAX will probably end up being cheaper than flying into SNA (cheaper fare plus no baggage fees). Probably save us a couple hundred dollars. Have never flown into LAX and from what I hear it can be a bit of a nightmare. Huge airport, have heard of long rides to DLR due to traffic, will not even think of renting a car - so we're looking at a shuttle. My question is - does anyone think it's worth the headache (or maybe it's really not so much of a headache and someone has a good experience with LAX to share with me?) to save a couple hundred dollars? I know the ride from SNA to DLR is shorter and have even heard it's just as cheap to take a cab and probably get there quicker. Just trying to weigh all of the options. Also - any opinions on Frontier airlines? Have never flown with them - usually do Airtran/Southwest. I know Frontier has baggage fees - I'm debating flying Frontier into SNA or Southwest into LAX. All opinions appreciated!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have flown out of LAX, ONT and SNA many times.

Especially for a visit to DLR, unless I saved a lot of money, I would always fly in to SNA. Way closer, amount of time to get from airport to DLR is way faster.

Also, traffic out of LAX can be a nightmare at any given time.

SNA is a much easier airport to get in and out of quickly. Depending on when your flight comes in (3pm - 6pm will likely be longer), you can make it to DLR in 20 minutes from SNA.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind LAX. I don't remember having any problems with it. Have flown in and out. Driven to and from. Shuttled to and from. Time of day obviously plays a part in freeway traffic. If you are taking a shuttle, bring a book, sit back, think of how to spend that extra money you are saving, and let the driver worry about the traffic. You'll get there when you get there. At least that's how I look at it.

SNA on the other hand is super close to the Resort and the terminals are luxuriously empty by comparison to LAX. I've never actually used the airport myself, only picked people up there from their flights (I think LAX's parking is better) so don't know how convenient shuttle & taxi service is, but am assuming that it would not be a hassle due to the airport size. If you are anxious to get to your hotel and the parks you can't beat this airport. Very little freeway time.

Truly only you can decide which is going to get your vacation off to a good start. The knowledge that you are saving money on airfare or the fact that there won't be as much time spent getting to and from your destination.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

SNA all the way. Its worth, to me at least, the extra cost to fly into and out of there. You can't put a price tag on aggravation.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We did a flight out of LAX on Southwest (LAX to MCO) last August. The only thing I didn't like was the check in and the luggage. (Had 4 bags + carry ons with me on a scooter and DD pushing a cart with all the luggage. Really missed the curbside check in.) The terminal was fine. I liked the Southwest terminal. Easy to get around.

Never flew out of SNA, but guess it is similar to Burbank. SNA is much closer and you will be at DL sooner. I would rather save the money for goodies at DL and take the DRE or a shuttle van from/to LAX.

It really depends on which option works better for you.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had a problem a LAX. I'd save the money.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

If you've never been to either, you won't know the difference anyway, so if money is a big motivating factor, just go with LAX. Try to schedule a flight arrival outside of rush hour traffic (6-9am and 3-6pm you should try to avoid).

FWIW, I lived in the area for a LONG time. LAX was the bane of my existence. I have NEVER had a good experience there...when we moved to VA this summer, we flew out of LAX for, what we decided, was the LAST time. It will be SNA, Long Beach, or Burbank for us when we return to the area. I actually like SNA best, followed by Long Beach, then Burbank.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, I have flown into both.

However, I typically avoid our big city airports, so flying into SNA is a lot more money for me. I'd rather spend it at Disney.

I do agree with Natalie about schedules. I've yet to have traffic issues but usually fly into LA late morning and do the red-eye home.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I'll have to see what the actual difference in fare will be (I am too far out to price the actual dates, but have looked at similar dates), and consider all of the other variables. The flight itself is just going to be so long for us - I think if I can spare any aggravation once we are on the ground, the difference in price might just be worth it. I am just very anxious for my airlines to release the fares for my dates! It's getting close!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't checked recently, but I seem to remember that John Wayne actually stops their flights after a certain hour because of noise laws (I think its 11:00pm). LAX flies around the clock.

Starting around 2:30 or so is when the traffic starts but the shuttles use the diamond lanes most of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default SNA va LAX

I have never flown to either one, May 20th will be our 1st trip to LA/DISNEYLAND. We are flying Southwest and in our hotel package we have a shuttle included I think about 30.00 per person roundtrip from LAX, may not be the wisest choice, but for these farmers from Mo. who will not rent a car, we thought this was the best for us. We are using a shuttle van, not the bus. I guess another reason we chose this is because we had credit on our tickets from SW so needed to use them.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using SNA for my June trip (45 days ), and have never flown there before. Im flying there via Southwest and found the fares comparable to LAX.

I just flew in and out of LAX for a last minute funeral trip. We arrived on a Friday and departed on a Sunday. I found LAX VERY managable and really no better or worse than any other airport Ive used. I really didnt think it lived up to the negative hype. Keep in mind, however, Im from Chicago, and may be more accustomed to big city airports.

I drove a rental car north out of LAX on a Friday afternoon. Took 90 minutes to travel the first 20 miles . this was awful, and was not on the way to DLR.
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laughin' place View Post
    I drove a rental car north out of LAX on a Friday afternoon. Took 90 minutes to travel the first 20 miles . this was awful, and was not on the way to DLR.
    That is the part that makes LAX so bad.

Once your actually at the airport, its better than many other airports.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mook3y View Post

Once your actually at the airport, its better than many other airports.
    Unless you are flying on Virgin America. That terminal is a disgrace...

Unfortunately, that's the airline we always use when flying into/out of LAX.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default LAX vs. SNA

What's the better airport to fly into when going to Disneyland and why? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

SNA or John Wayne, is only 15 minutes away from Disneyland. It is right in Orange County. Smaller airport than LAX, but hands down (price allowing) I'd fly into SNA before LAX for a Disneyland trip.

I had a conference in Irvine 5 years ago. I think it was the best venue ever for a conference! I haven't been back out since.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Before I moved to CA I always chose to fly into John Wayne airport when going to Disneyland. Now that I live in CA, I still use it most of the time, when I'm flying from CA. I'm only at LAX when I'm leaving the country. I love the smaller airport and quicker access in and out.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: