Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Begins Trial of Modified Dog Policy at 4 Hotels

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Walt Disney World Resort Begins Trial of Modified Dog Policy at 4 Hotels

Effective October 15, 2017; the Walt Disney World Resort has modified its dog policy at 4 resort hotels as part of a trial program:

• The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.
    • Disney Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
    • Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
    • Disney’s Yacht Club Resort

The Dog Policy has been modified (only at the listed 4 hotels) on a trial basis as follows:

>> Guest rooms eligible for dogs will only be designated on specific floors or sections at the 4 participating hotels. Guests with dog allergies or anxiety around dogs may request to have their Guest room not near these areas.

>> Limit two dogs per guest room.

>> A $50 per night fee will be charged per participating Guest room at Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, & Cabins at Fort Wilderness.

>> A $75 per night fee will be charged per participating Guest room at the Yacht Club.

>> The 4 participating hotels will provide “Pluto’s Welcome Kit” as a new amenity for Guests staying with dogs.

The kit includes:

• A pet mat
    • Food & water bowls
    • A pet ID tag
    • Plastic disposable waste bags
    • Puppy pads
    • Dog walking maps
    • A “Do Not Disturb” door hanger

The "Do Not Disturb" door hanger must be placed on the outside of the door if the dog is unaccompanied inside the Guest room. During these times the Guest Room will not be eligible for housekeeping services and Guests may alternatively schedule a time for cleaning when they can be present with the dog or accompany the dog outside.

>> Dogs are only permitted in their carrier aboard Disney’s Magical Express & Minnie Vans to and from the 4 participating resorts.

>> Dogs are only permitted in their carrier aboard the internal transportation buses at the participating resorts (only applicable at Port Orleans and Fort Wilderness).

>> Dogs staying at the participating 4 hotels are subject to a “Code of Conduct” including being leashed at all times outside of the Guest room, being quiet if left unattended in their Guest room, not being allowed on any furniture in common areas, and other similar behavior.

>> The 4 participating hotels have designated and marked Dog Relief Areas:

Fort Wilderness
    -Waggin' Trails Dog Park
    -Grassed Area in Loop 2300
    -Grassed Area in Loop 2200

Art of Animation
    -Grassed Area between building #7 and Hour Glass Lake
    -Grassed Area between building #6 and Hour Glass Lake
    -Grassed Area between building #5 and Hour Glass Lake
    -Grassed Area between building #2 and Road Way

Port Orleans-Riverside
    - Grassed Area beyond parking lot near building #24
    - Grassed Area beyond parking lot near building #15
    - Grassed Area between parking lot and building #95
    - Grassed Area between walkway and building #80

Yacht Club

- Grassed Area beyond the Quiet Pool area
    (Nearest Guest rooms are 1054-1032, 1030-1012, & 1001 - 1009)

>> These policy modifications to not affect standing policies related to service dogs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moderator Note

These policy changes have already elicited impassioned responses both approving and disapproving of the change across the internet. As always on INTERCOT, please keep the discussion constructive & civil.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so excited about this. When I stayed at the Ft. Wilderness cabins, I had wished my dogs were there. It would be nice if they had a service that transported the dogs to the Best Friends Pet Care Kennel while you went to the park.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think they implemented this program because the recent Hurricane event in FL allowed guests to bring pets to the hotels during evacuations? I was watching some video of the pets participating in talent shows, etc. and it looked like it was a positive experience for many people/animals. Or was this something they had in the works for awhile? I know there are usually a lot of surveys sent out to guests regarding parks, resorts, dining....maybe there was a pet survey recently.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 100% good about having them in the cabins, it makes perfect sense, especially since there are already dog loops at the campground.

The others worry me. I was surprised at POR (where we frequently stay) that the areas were so spread out. I thought (and if it was me), I would have had the "dog section" in well, one section. Maybe a way to fill the "less desirable" buildings?

We're a family that will have to avoid the dogs. Between allergies and my daughter being terrified of dogs, having dogs, even wonderful dogs who are well controlled won't be a good match for our trip.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We are very excited about this. Our dogs are great hotel travelers and its hard at times for us to find someone to watch them.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how long it was going to take for them to see the profit potential in allowing dogs. You would be amazed how many people stay at offsite hotels that allow dogs just for that reason. We have done so a number of times ourselves.

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there during Irma and we saw lots of dogs around with evacuees. They weren’t any problem. My only concern would be doge who were barkers left in their rooms. I would hope people would take them to the Doggie Daycare if they are out of their rooms all day
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another vote for no pets please! We have allergies. When we stay at other hotels that are pet friendly my wife and children can immediately tell if it is or was a pet room. We have to change rooms or leave. It's that bad! I understand that there will be designated rooms for pets only. However I agree with Marlyn that barkers could be problems. Plus I would imagine that the wear and tear on pet based rooms would be greater. Will there be an up-charge for pet based rooms? Will they allow pets to come via Magical Express next?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

10. Thanks luvdiznee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Here's another vote for no pets please! We have allergies. When we stay at other hotels that are pet friendly my wife and children can immediately tell if it is or was a pet room. We have to change rooms or leave. It's that bad! I understand that there will be designated rooms for pets only. However I agree with Marlyn that barkers could be problems. Plus I would imagine that the wear and tear on pet based rooms would be greater. Will there be an up-charge for pet based rooms? Will they allow pets to come via Magical Express next?
    The answers to your questions are in the original post. The answer to both is yes. There is a $50 or $75 per night additional charge per night depending on which resort. They are also allowed on magical express as well as the internal resort buses as long as they are in a carrier.

I will go ahead and predict that this pet policy will go permanent after the test and will be rolled out to other resorts. I can see them getting an extra $100 per night at deluxe resorts. It is way too much additional money for them to pass up on plus they were losing guests to offsite hotels due to the no pets policy.

12. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The one that concerns me is the "code of conduct" where dogs must be quiet when left unattended in the room. That's all fine, but how will they enforce it? If a family is out at a park until midnight and the dog is barking in the room - it's not the owner's problem at that point. It becomes a problem for the people in the adjoining rooms. We had a situation like this last year at AKL, where they allow service dogs to stay with the family. I have no issue with service dogs - those who really are service dogs. This "service" dog was left behind alone in the room next to us and just whined and barked for hours until after midnight. We called the front desk and security came, and they said they couldn't do anything - they wouldn't knock and they certainly weren't allowed to go into the room. Again, service dogs do a lot of great things. But if the dog was a service dog, why wasn't the dog with the family member it was assisting?

Not a big fan of this new policy, but it was only a matter of time. Seems to me Disney should build a new PLUTO Resort, and make that the pet-friendly on-site place for families who travel with pets.....

14. Thanks luvdiznee thanked for this post
    Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    Do you think they implemented this program because the recent Hurricane event in FL allowed guests to bring pets to the hotels during evacuations? I was watching some video of the pets participating in talent shows, etc. and it looked like it was a positive experience for many people/animals. Or was this something they had in the works for awhile? I know there are usually a lot of surveys sent out to guests regarding parks, resorts, dining....maybe there was a pet survey recently.
    I wondered that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn View Post
    I was there during Irma and we saw lots of dogs around with evacuees. They weren’t any problem. My only concern would be doge who were barkers left in their rooms. I would hope people would take them to the Doggie Daycare if they are out of their rooms all day

Thats why they should only allow mastiffs. Quiet, don't move for 6-10 hours, minimal shedding, turds are easy to find in the grass.

I am curious, why POR has turned into the experimental resort (the soap nightmare, the dog thing, etc).
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    The one that concerns me is the "code of conduct" where dogs must be quiet when left unattended in the room. That's all fine, but how will they enforce it? If a family is out at a park until midnight and the dog is barking in the room - it's not the owner's problem at that point. It becomes a problem for the people in the adjoining rooms. We had a situation like this last year at AKL, where they allow service dogs to stay with the family. I have no issue with service dogs - those who really are service dogs. This "service" dog was left behind alone in the room next to us and just whined and barked for hours until after midnight. We called the front desk and security came, and they said they couldn't do anything - they wouldn't knock and they certainly weren't allowed to go into the room. Again, service dogs do a lot of great things. But if the dog was a service dog, why wasn't the dog with the family member it was assisting?

Not a big fan of this new policy, but it was only a matter of time. Seems to me Disney should build a new PLUTO Resort, and make that the pet-friendly on-site place for families who travel with pets.....
    I love the idea of a Pluto resort. Maybe this test is to see if there is enough interest before they spent all the money on a new resort. They could have the kennel incorporated with it.

Personally, I wouldn't take my dog to a strange place and leave them alone in a room all day and night. Why even bring your dog if that is what you are going to do?

The service dogs I have seen in the hospitals are very well behaved. They don't bark. They very rarely need to be taken out to the bathroom. They don't leave their owner's side. I have seen some that don't even get a drink unless their service dog outfit is taken off. Maybe the one that was barking in the room was a service dog in training.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why they chose AoA, one of the newer resorts as part of this trial. Well at least it's only certain parts of it so there's a chance we could still stay there. My son and daughter are both allergic to pets so this wouldn't play out well for us.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Someone posted the complete new dog policy on Twitter: management will call the guests if the dog barks when they're out and they're expected to address the issue within 30 minutes.

I'd be willing to bet that on an internal basis Disney has designated certain rooms for guests with dogs. It makes the most sense from a business perspective, especially during this test phase, as I'm sure they're monitoring wear and tear.

Personally, everywhere I go now I see and encounter dogs. In Target, in Starbucks, on my daily subway commute, outside my house, outside my office, etc. So to me this is simply Disney reacting to this trend.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

30 minutes? Too bad it takes an hour to get on a disney bus back to the resort. Or its like a 30 minute walk from the back from Springs or Epcot to even get out of the park.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

So, they're only allowing modified dogs at WDW? Back in the day, we had our dog modified so she wouldn't have puppies.

Seriously, WDW is not the place for non-service dogs. You're gone morning 'til night, the dog is left alone in a strange place for that time with no recourse but to relieve themselves in the room, and obviously, Mousekeeping will not refresh your room. Where's the up-side?

Leave your l'il buddies at home with a friend or family. They, and you, will be more comfortable, happier, and less stressed.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

22. Likes luvdiznee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    So, they're only allowing modified dogs at WDW? Back in the day, we had our dog modified so she wouldn't have puppies.
    Lol. All of my dogs have been modified too.

Not everyone's trip consists of being at the park from dusk til dawn. I would love to just relax at the Ft. Wilderness cabins with my dog. Maybe leave for a horse back ride. Visit hoop dee doo one night. Sit on the porch drinking some tea.

Unfortunately, the doggie love of my life is 15 years old. I'm too afraid to make the trek from Arizona to Florida on a plane with her. I'll take my two other dogs at some point. I still <3 them. Just not as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Lol. All of my dogs have been modified too.

Not everyone's trip consists of being at the park from dusk til dawn. I would love to just relax at the Ft. Wilderness cabins with my dog. Maybe leave for a horse back ride. Visit hoop dee doo one night. Sit on the porch drinking some tea.

Unfortunately, the doggie love of my life is 15 years old. I'm too afraid to make the trek from Arizona to Florida on a plane with her. I'll take my two other dogs at some point. I still <3 them. Just not as much.
    Amen. You can't trust the airlines to get you and our luggage to Florida. I wouldn't put my dog there, unless I had to. We'd drive. My mastiff, he'd be asleep the entire time, from 8-5pm. Wouldn't notice.

I'm not in love w/ more dogs in the rooms, as the rooms already have a cleanliness issue as it stands. But, at least with an official policy that will help w/ all the people bringing/sneaking their dogs in.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post

Seriously, WDW is not the place for non-service dogs. You're gone morning 'til night, the dog is left alone in a strange place for that time with no recourse but to relieve themselves in the room, and obviously, Mousekeeping will not refresh your room. Where's the up-side?

Leave your l'il buddies at home with a friend or family. They, and you, will be more comfortable, happier, and less stressed.
    You don't have to leave them in the room. There is doggie day camp that opens about an hour prior to the earliest park opening. You take your dog over there and drop him off and then come back after you leave the park and pick them up. We have used it several times and been very pleased and our dog didn't mind going back so apparently she had a good experience as well.

I imagine that after they do this test and decide to roll it out permanent, you will see doggie day cares added to the resorts or at least a pick up and drop off where they handle it all for you.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: