Quantcast New Series of Photography from Annie Leibovitz - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    I wonder who is going to pose as Ursula - my vote would be Rosie.

Hmmm...I see another thread topic: "which actor/sports hero should Annie choose to pose as______"
    That would be great you should start it.
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay..this is like watching a game show with "celebrities" on it and not knowing why the person is famous to begin with. Who are Jessica Biel and Gisele Bundchen? Actresses? Models? Singers? Spoiled heiresses?
    First Trip - January 2003

DVC
    Kidani Village - AKL
    Bay Lake Tower
    Riviera Resort

VMK - QueenThump & BrerFan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper03 View Post
    Okay..this is like watching a game show with "celebrities" on it and not knowing why the person is famous to begin with. Who are Jessica Biel and Gisele Bundchen? Actresses? Models? Singers? Spoiled heiresses?
    Jessica Beil is an actress who is actually somewhat famous, and Gisele Bundchen is a supermodel who poses (or used to pose) for Victoria's Secret. She dated Leonardo DiCaprio for a while and now she dates Tom Brady.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Don't reply if it doesn't interest you - skip the thread or something.
    I believe the link reads Discussion Here.

I always thought a discussion was an exchange of views on a particular subject. I clicked to see the pictures...I (like some others) didn't care for them...I gave my opinion. As for the story placement on the site - all the others seem to be about travel...that's why I clicked on it in the first place.

With that said, I didn't intend for my questioning of the story's placement to sound as harsh as it may have - my bad.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

The Aladdin Movie was the first one that my daughter saw in the theatre and Jasmine was (and still is) her favorite Princess. So it is very special to her and to me. I can't accept Jennifer Lopez as Jasmine, and Marc Anthony is no Aladdin. Creeps me out a little.

It is nice if someone gets some pleasure out of this series, but it isn't for me.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in with those who think the first set were better. The Peter Pan picture is probably the best of these, but all of these pale in comparison to the Cinderella picture from the first set.

Tina Fey looks good as Tinkerbell (google Tina Fey Tinkerbell).
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Anthony, I have never seen the mass appeal he has, he looks like the scrappy kid on the playground who gets picked on. I do like Lebovitz, as a fellow artistic person, she has some really great ideas and a great eye. This just shows a different viewpoint of things and I can appreciate that.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Series was better

I agree that the 2nd series may have been miscast...

The only one we really like is the Wendy/Tink/Peter Pan shot.

Pocahontas was composed nicely, and we like Jessica Biel, but we think she was a poor choice for Pocahontas. We wish they had found a different character for her to portray...
    \
    Mike and Andi
    DVC Members since 2002 - NEXT TRIP-POP 03/09!!

"It's our America-Do something to preserve its beauty, strength and natural wealth." Walt Disney

"It's better to be a pirate than to join the navy." Steve Jobs

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed these photos. Although I do agree the 1st series was better. Jessica Biel is a weird Pocahontas. I wish they would have found someone with more ethnicity- for lack of a better word. I think the Peter Pan scene is excellent. Whoopi is good as the Genie, but something is a little off with JLo and Marc Anthony.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Humbug~

Sorry - hate to be this way, BUT. . .
    As much I like these pictures - I believe they are very cool - I don't like the idea of ANYONE being A Disney character, except the Character. I believe the characters should be as anonymus as the characters are in the park.
    I don't think any other name or person should be associated with a character. I guess I'm just a purist that way - because I don't think any living person can be as Magical as a Disney character is.
    Let the celebrities stars shine in their own Universe - not Disneys.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the first set was better. I like the casting of Jennifer Lopez and Tina Fey; however, I'm not thrilled about any of the other celebrity choices - especially a lingerie model playing the part of a child/young adult.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Sorry - hate to be this way, BUT. . .
    As much I like these pictures - I believe they are very cool - I don't like the idea of ANYONE being A Disney character, except the Character. I believe the characters should be as anonymus as the characters are in the park.
    I don't think any other name or person should be associated with a character. I guess I'm just a purist that way - because I don't think any living person can be as Magical as a Disney character is.
    Let the celebrities stars shine in their own Universe - not Disneys.
    I agree - and that's probably why I'm not so nuts about these photo projects. On that same point, I don't even like when characters' voice artists are selected/billed as a selling feature of Disney films ( "...and Robin Williams as Genie...", etc.). They do a fine job, but I'd rather some anonymity (at least until the closing credits).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Because it's Disney related, many of our members enjoy these as computer wallpaper and I wanted it put on the home page...

Don't reply if it doesn't interest you - skip the thread or something.
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT when you reply! Not only do you always echo my sentiments, but its like Dr. Phil-How's that working for U?? !!!!!
    "I'm No fool, no siree! I'm gonna live to be 103! I play safe for you & me 'cause I'm no fool!"

Offsite 2004 (Travelodge Suites)
    Offsite 2005 (TS Eategate Orange)
    POP 2007 (May)
    POP 2007 (July-Aug)
    POP 2008 (May)
    Offsite Aug 2009
    CBR 2010 (May)
    Offsite Aug 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    I agree - and that's probably why I'm not so nuts about these photo projects. On that same point, I don't even like when characters' voice artists are selected/billed as a selling feature of Disney films ( "...and Robin Williams as Genie...", etc.). They do a fine job, but I'd rather some anonymity (at least until the closing credits).
    I think for this set, the celebrities are much more apparent. Let's throw Whoopi Goldberg in front of some smoke and call her Genie. In the last set, in general the celebrities blended in better.
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Celebrities Flip Their Fins in Latest Installment of Disney Dream Portrait Series

BURBANK, Calif. -- For the latest image in the portrait series of celebrities living out their Disney dreams, photographer Annie Leibovitz followed a simple recipe: Just add water.

Continuing the "Disney Dream Portrait Series" that has put stars in all kinds of Disney fantasies, Leibovitz trained her famous lens this time on the undersea world of Ariel, heroine of "The Little Mermaid." To get there, she dressed actress Julianne Moore and American swimming icon Michael Phelps in tails and scales.

"Yes, Julianne has a big mermaid tail; it's interesting," Leibovitz recalled from the shoot. "Michael, too. His movements were so graceful and beautiful you just felt like you were watching a real merman."

The latest Leibovitz photography is part of her acclaimed series as Disney Parks continue, through 2008, the "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration on both coasts.

In the finished image captioned "Where another world is just a wish away," shafts of light pierce the blue depths as Ariel (Moore) sits in her undersea world amid wavy coral and darting sea life. In the foreground of the frame, Phelps slips past, flipping his fins.

Inside The Shoot

Leibovitz worked her mastery on soundstages on both coasts.

Fitted in his silvery fishtail, Phelps was lowered into a backlot tank in Los Angeles used for underwater movie scenes. Leibovitz was on the outside, snapping away, communicating her instructions to Phelps via members of her crew.

"One of the most complicated shots I have ever done," said Leibovitz. "I didn't know if it was going to work, what to expect. I have to tell you, he was beautiful. Michael put on that tailand . . . he just became like a modern dancer. He just took to it and enjoyed himself and swam through this tank. I was blown away."

For the four-time "World Swimmer of the Year" (as designated by Swimming World Magazine), donning flippers was worlds away from the swimming competitions he's used to.

"It was kind of weird to be able to put on a tail and swim around in a tank," Phelps admitted. "To work with Annie and try these crazy sorts of ideas is really an honor and something I won't forget."

A host of swimming stars, past and present, joined Phelps in the water and final image: Janet Evans, Rowdy Gaines, Brendan Hansen and Cullen Jones.

At a New York soundstage, Leibovitz perched the fishtailed Moore on a rock as the starry-eyed Ariel.

"There's a moment in the shoot where Julianne is sitting on a rock in her mermaid tail and her young daughter comes in, and there is not a dry eye in the house," Leibovitz recalled. "She sat in her mother's lap. Her jaw just dropped. She could not believe her mother was Ariel."

When Moore was asked to play Ariel, she recalls, "I leapt at the chance."

"Ariel is my daughter's favorite princess, so I was just really so excited to do it," Moore said. "All the images I've seen that Annie's shot so far -- Cinderella and Alice and the prince one -- are absolutely exquisite. They are so beautiful and so kind of wonderfully emotional. So I was really thrilled to be asked to work with her and do this."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Ariel photo.

Interesting that you post this today. I was just wondering what would happen with the Leibovitz/Disney relatioship after Disney's statement today on the Leibovitz-shot photos of Miley Cyrus for Vanity Fair.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I love Annie Leibovitz.
    As a photographer, I understand that these aren't meant to be "portraits". They are art. Plain and simple. I've found each and every one to be stunning and the detail is very exciting.

Why does it matter if photoshop is used? Every single photographer, including wedding photographers, portrait photographers, landscape photographers, etc. uses photoshop nowadays. Whether it's for colour correction, changing the depth of field, and more. Annie just uses more of it to give her photos a storybook feel.

The reason you believe these look "too photoshopped" is because they are supposed to look like a fantasy. It's not likely that a woman can sit in the forest with a little bluebird on her hand without a little computer magic. They also look surreal because everything is in crisp detail - something you don't normally see in photos (ie. backgrounds are usually a little out of focus in regular photos, etc.). That's maybe why they look a little strange to some people, but they can't quite put their finger on it.

Anyway, that's a little photography 101 for ya. I still think these photos are amazing and Annie does fantastic work, no matter what she shoots.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Can you purchase these photos anywhere? I would love to own some of them.
    June 2009, April 2006, May 2001 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    August 2000 - Tokyo Disneyland
    April 1999 - Disneyland
    August 1997 - Courtyard by Marriott
    April 1996 - All Star Sports / Port Orleans
    Jan-May 1994 - WDWCP Tomorrowland Terrace
    August 1989 - WDW Off-site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: