Quantcast Sudden Onset Shellfish Allergy?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sudden Onset Shellfish Allergy?

Has anyone else on here had issues with a sudden onset of a shellfish allergy as an adult? My business partner who is also my neighbor, (therefor we eat together a lot) has developed a shellfish allergy just since Christmas. He ate shrimp and or crab about 4 days in a row over the holidays (mostly my fault from bringing shrimp cocktail to a work party and then sending peope home with homemade gumbo) and then he developed a severe case of hives. Not knowing exactly what caused it he ate some scallops last night and woke up all itchy again this morning (not as bad.) I feel so bad for him, his favorite food is raw oysters!
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother did. Fortunately, he was at the hospital when it happened. His daughter was in the hospital because of severe dehydration from rotovirus. He went and had lunch at the cafeteria in the hospital. He ate a shrimp cocktail. By the time he ate and walked backed to the room, his face and neck had swollen to twice their size.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Allergies can develop over time and in this exact case... someone might not be allergic to something, but then all of the sudden, they become allergic to something. It most often happens with medications as far as I know. A patient will take a medication one or two times and be alright, and then the third or fourth time, they have an allergic reaction to it.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

My beloved wife has developed an allergy to walnuts within the last couple of years. It happens. Not often, but it does.

Just remember to be very careful, and consider carrying some Benadryl or even an Epi-Pen if the reactions are severe. All close friends and associates should know of the condition so they can help out in an emergency. In all cases where an Epi-Pen is used, EMS or 911 should be called.

Also, tell your friend to inform any health-care professionals he deals with of the reaction. Especially if he has to undergo some tests. They use radioactive iodine in some tests, and that could cause a reaction as well.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

From what my allergy doctor has told me, I have an allergy to pecans. I eat them but have no reaction. He said the allergy can show up on the test long before you ever have a reaction. I'm still allergic, I guess, just haven't had a reaction yet. I have allergy shots for lots of allergies, so I may never have a reaction with the desensitizing.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

Both my mom and my DH's cousin have developed shellfish allergies as adults.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, allergies can develop at any point, AND you can outgrow them as well. I used to be abel to roll around in Poison Ivy without a problem, now I can't even look at it. I've seen all sorts of weirdness in terms of allergies. So, yes.. It happens...

Post Thanks / Like

What about apples? Or more specifically, apple peels?
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
    What about apples? Or more specifically, apple peels?
    Anything is possible, I guess. I was at a First Aid symposium a couple of years ago and heard one of the presenters saying that people in China are starting to show sensitivity to rice!

Scary. It is very common in Eastern Asia, but not very common in Europe and North America.

Here is a quote from Medical News Today website. These are the BIG EIGHT items that cause sensitivity.

"-- milk
    -- eggs
    -- peanuts (groundnuts)
    -- nuts from trees (including Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, almonds and walnuts)
    -- fish
    -- shellfish (including mussels, crab and shrimps)
    -- soya
    -- wheat"
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I developed an allergy to of all things! But I've also developed allergies (severe ones) to certain medications after a certain number of cycles. Turns out that some 25% of the population taking those medications do develop allergies (too bad too, because they're very effective).

As regards apples... yep, it happens. One of my regular treatment nurses is allergic to apples and can't even be in the room if we're eating them.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

About a year ago after Christmas time my father realized he had a seafood allergy. It came out of absolutely nowhere. I've heard of other people having the same problem with seafood too.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Default argggg

Well apparently it happened to him again last night without eating any seafood so now it's back to square one...
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    Well apparently it happened to him again last night without eating any seafood so now it's back to square one...

Well that stinks! Worse than the allergy is not know what he's alleric to. Did he have to go to the hospital again.

Hope they can figure it out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default nope

Luckily no, it seems to clear up with a Claritin, no breathing problems or anything, just a rash...very frustrating.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Post Thanks / Like

could it be a contact allergy?
    Maybe a new soap in the shower
    New laundry detergent/softener/fabric sheets?
    A new item of clothing?
    New deodorant,perfume,cologne.
    been around someone who has a new animal?
    Hopefully he is keeping a journal of everything he uses, touches and ingests.
    I wish him good luck.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    Hopefully he is keeping a journal of everything he uses, touches and ingests.
    I wish him good luck.
    While it can be a royal pain to do so, if there is no clear evidence as to what is causing the reaction then a log is a very good idea. Of course, it still may not answer all the questions. As an example; let's say your partner uses a laundry to clean his shirts. Perhaps that laundry has switched laundry detergent? There are just so many things out there that you just don't know anything about.

While it can be pricey; especially if not covered by insurance; a doctor that specializes in allergies can do tests and likely pinpoint the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

When he had the reaction without the shellfish were you dining out? The reason I ask is because I'm allergic to anything that lives in the water. Meaning not just shellfish but all fish. I was having lunch at a restaurant 1 day when all of a sudden I got very sick. The type of sick I only get if I get any kind of fish. Well it turns out that they used the same utensil to flip my food on the grill that they had just used to flip a tuna melt. That little bit of cross contamination can do to you.
    Coreen

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: