Quantcast Resorts/Hotel Close to HH

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Resorts/Hotel Close to HH

On our way home from WDW, we are looking to stop in HH to check out the Disney resort, but won't be staying there because it looks to be booked. I remember someone mentioning that there are some nice resorts in the Shelter Cove area also. Looking for some recommendations. Thanks.

BWV & HH

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a very nice Westin resort, as well as a Marriott resort on the other side of William Hilton Parkway from Shelter Cove. There are some condos in Shelter Cove marina, but I'm blanking on the names right now. There are several complexes around Coligny Beach with condos for rent, too, but I cannot remember all of the names. Individual condos can be found for rent at Palmetto Dunes as well (Palmetto Dunes is where Disney's Beach House is located). Disney's HHI resort is about 45 minutes off of I-95, so be prepared for the drive inland. We own a home there (we fell in love with it after one visit to our home DVC resort!), so I can recommend some great restaurants as well if you're interested. And even if the resort appears booked under the DVC site, you can always check to see if there's any availability paying cash. Sometimes there is.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

4. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Likes missymouseworld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We will look into a day/night stop and hope to be able to visit HH resort and see the area and resort itself. Maybe a casual restaurant near Disney resort so we can check it out?

Thanks again!

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

How casual do you want for a restaurant? For the utmost in casual, check out Sea Shack and Kenny B's. There, casual means styrofoam plates, plastic cutlery, and a roll of paper towels on your plastic covered "table cloth". For less casual, but still casual, we like "Black Marlin", "Poseidon", and "Skull Creek Boathouse". None of those 3 are right at Shelter Cove, but "Poseidon" is close by in the Shelter Cove Shopping Center.

7. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
    There, casual means styrofoam plates, plastic cutlery, and a roll of paper towels on your plastic covered "table cloth".
    We will keep "Poseidon" in mind....

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Bistro 17 at Shelter Cove is walking distance, and it is really good. If it's warm enough, dine on the patio. Scott's Fish Market & San Miguel's are also an easy walk from the Disney resort. The best pizza on the island is at Local Pie on New Orleans Road, as is the best sushi - at Hinoki.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

10. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great information...thanks again.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

So, let me give you a different perspective. I'm a local - but still a bit in tourist mode having moved here permanently in December.

Hilton Head dining can be a bit expensive and some of the casual places mentioned like Black Marlin, Skull Creek, Poseidon are all good - but a bit pricey. BTW, those along with Frankie Bones, One Hot Momma, The Lodge and more are all owned by the same restaurant group.

Places we've found that we liked so far include:

Restaurants:

Up the Creek Pub & Grill - Off the beaten path - great views. Away from the tourist area but on island off Marshland Road. Fish Camp which is right next door is excellent (had one of the best steaks ever there) but it's more pricey.

Frosty Frog - One of our favorites for sandwiches and adult slushes. Located at Coligny.

The SmokeHouse - really liked this place. Good apps, tasty mains. Not super cheap but you could almost feast on apps and drinks. Huge portions.

Dry Dock - Used to be a locals place but moved to more visible location. Has a less expensive lunch menu. Fish and chips (while not standard beer batter) are very good. Reasonable prices.

Stacks - must do for breakfast. Crème Brule French toast. Bananas foster French toast. Low country crepes. Great diner.

Pizza - Local Pie is good if you like coal fired pizza. If you are looking for NY style, try New York City Pizza, Fat Baby's or Giuseppe's. Mellow Mushroom is also good but a chain.

Coney Dogs! - Southern Coney. A little hard to find but if you love chili dogs - simply the best. They fly the dogs in from Michigan. I get mine with cheese on top. They have a good, quick and reasonably priced breakfast too.

Hudsons - more expensive (and next to Skull Creek) but great views and a new deck there just opened overlooking the water.

Wild Wings Café - Wings, cold beer, burgers, sandwiches. A favorite here.

As far as what's nearby - there are a number of good options in Shelter Cove that have already been mentioned. Most things there across the bridge from Disney are a little pricey. There is an AMAZING French pastry shop with coffee and goodies there. Highly recommend stopping in for breakfast or desert there.

BTW, Disney has a counter service fast food type walk up near their pool on the second level. Prices are actually reasonable and the food is good if you are looking for light fare while exploring the property.

Hotels:

Holiday in Beach House - reasonably priced, right on the beach at Coligny. Tiki Bar with great atmosphere but expensive drinks steps from your room.

VRBO - we rented a house in sea pines for a week for the price of a normal hotel room while we were waiting on settlement of our new home. May be worth looking into.

Westin - stayed there 4-5 years ago and it was nice.

Ramada - we just had friends that stayed there with their pet. They said it was clean and cheap. Depends on what you are looking for. Haven't been there.

Hilton Garden Inn - nice, stayed there the night before checking into Disney last year. Only draw back is it is just off island. A short minute drive over the bridge. Pretty convenient and clean if you can get a deal.
    Last edited by John; 03-13-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

13. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the information....I will save to my phone so I have the info when we are travelling. We usually stop in SC on our trip back from WDW (off I-95) but wanted to check out the HH resort this time. I was hoping we could show our Vacation Club card and they would let us walk around the resort and maybe eat there (since after a week at WDW, will be "fooded" out), but if not, wanted another option just in case. Will look into the Hilton Garden Inn and maybe the Ramada since they aren't too far. It will just be for a day so it should be fine.

Thanks again...

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

The SmokeHouse - really liked this place. Good apps, tasty mains. Not super cheap but you could almost feast on apps and drinks. Huge portions.
    There is better BBQ on the island - Bullies & One Hot Mama's. This one is not clean. The last time I ate there it had so many flies, and the most recent health rating was a C before the revisit. For the price, find something better. Just my opinion.

Dry Dock - Used to be a locals place but moved to more visible location. Has a less expensive lunch menu. Fish and chips (while not standard beer batter) are very good. Reasonable prices.
    The quality has gone downhill since they moved. The parking lot is too dark, and for the price, there's better seafood elsewhere. I wanted to like this, as it's really close to our house - so close we could ride our bikes. But I didn't care for it.

Stacks - must do for breakfast. Crème Brule French toast. Bananas foster French toast. Low country crepes. Great diner.
    Better than the HHI Diner, that's for sure. There's still a breakfast buffet, correct? We haven't visited in a couple of years. Great French toast - I agree with that!

Pizza - Local Pie is good if you like coal fired pizza. If you are looking for NY style, try New York City Pizza, Fat Baby's or Giuseppe's. Mellow Mushroom is also good but a chain.
    Doughboy's is great, too. Fat Baby's or Giuseppe's is good if you want somewhere to sit down, and I believe if you're staying at Disney HHI you can get a discount at Giuseppe's when you show your keycard from the resort.

Hudsons - more expensive (and next to Skull Creek) but great views and a new deck there just opened overlooking the water.
    Best gumbo around!

There is an AMAZING French pastry shop with coffee and goodies there. Highly recommend stopping in for breakfast or dessert there.
    Just tried that today for the first time. Spent $40 on stuff to eat there and to take home. It was so good. Another great local bakery is the French Bakery near Kroger at Shelter Cove. They serve a fantastic breakfast & lunch - open from 7 am until 4 pm M-F and 8 to 3 on Sundays. Grab a pastry & go sit on a bench next to the marsh.

For burgers I highly recommend CharBar on Office Park Rd & for seafood & Caribbean fare, try my all time fave HHI restaurant, Marley's Grill, nearby. If it's on the menu, order the Coconut Curry Seafood Bowl. You will not be disappointed. It's a good thing it's not on the menu every day, or I might have to eat there 7 nights a week!

If you want large portions for decent prices and don't mind dining in a "dive", don't skip Sea Shack. It's a hole in the wall, but the portions are decent (you can easily share a Shack Attack) and the food is delicious. Stick with the broiled platter if you don't like a lot of grease with your seafood, and don't skip the sweet potato cornbread or Conch Fritters. Be ready to order before you enter, too. The guy likes to keep you moving. Try to go before noon, as a line does form during busier times. Call to make sure they're open if you're visiting during the off season. They cut back their hours when the island is emptier.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

16. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will have to agree to disagree on the SmokeHouse. Ate there in the last month. Clean, upscale, good service, good food, reasonable prices. I won't eat in a c letter grade place. If there was an issue in the past, they must have corrected it.

200+ restaurants on the island. Lots of places to try still...

Post Thanks / Like

A breakfast buffet at Stacks? We've never seen that, but then it has been about 2 years since we ate there. Any news on the new restaurant that's opening next to Skull Creek Boathouse? And I really appreciate the positive review of Hudson's. The last time we ate there was over 10 years ago, and my husband was so unimpressed, we haven;t gone back. I kind of liked it. I'm also a fan of Sea Shack, kind of like the plastic table cloths and disposable dishware, super-casual vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
    A breakfast buffet at Stacks? We've never seen that, but then it has been about 2 years since we ate there. Any news on the new restaurant that's opening next to Skull Creek Boathouse? And I really appreciate the positive review of Hudson's. The last time we ate there was over 10 years ago, and my husband was so unimpressed, we haven;t gone back. I kind of liked it. I'm also a fan of Sea Shack, kind of like the plastic table cloths and disposable dishware, super-casual vibe.
    Ha! The last time we ate at Stack's was 2010. Hubby loved it; he got the buffet. I thought it was okay (French toast was good, but the wait for it was not). Haven't been back, but it's mostly because we bought a home there and rarely go out for breakfast. When we do it's to brunch at Skull Creek or French Bakery or Skillets or.... one of the many other great breakfast places on the island.

I've seen sketches of the new restaurant at Skull Creek. I haven't actually seen it, and we were just there for lunch about 2 weeks ago. I think it's a rebuild of the Chart House beside Hudson's that closed after Hurricane Matthew, but I'm not sure.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Just following up, went to the SmokeHouse again last night. Food was great, restaurant was packed and clean. Burnt Ends Brisket was great - as was wife's meatloaf and sons pulled pork...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Just following up, went to the SmokeHouse again last night. Food was great, restaurant was packed and clean. Burnt Ends Brisket was great - as was wife's meatloaf and sons pulled pork...
    That's great. Glad it's turned around. But I still didn't love it and won't go back, as there are many other faves on the island ; )
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream