Quantcast Muppet Mobile Lab Arrives at Epcot - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkRocks View Post
    Where is Lucky these days?

Don't get me wrong - it's great that these new things are making their way to each Disney park, two weeks is nowhere near long enough... How about 2 or 3 months at each Disney park?
    Lucky has been back at WDI in California for quite a while, but we continue to test and refine things with both Lucky and the Muppet Mobile Labs.

Back in May, we actually had both Lucky and the MML stop by the Disney Studios in Burbank for part of an Imagineering day where we had fun showing them off around the Disney Studio lot for the staff there.

These are both R&D test platforms where WDI looks at both technology and story concepts on how they can best be applied towards future applications in the parks and with the feedback we get from in-park testing we can then look to develop ways to incorporate them into new attractions or shows. In other words they're like a prototype concept that we'll show off to the parks and parks & resort management where they may then decide to task WDI with applying the idea towards a project (that was kind of the approach that happened with Turtle Talk with Crush which evolved from earlier play testing of Stitch's Photo Phone in Disneyland and an R&D concept with Mickey back at WDI we called the Toon Elevator).

With Lucky there was a lot of new aspects we were working with from experimenting with materials for animatronic skins that were lightweight, flexible and durable that visitors could come up and actually touch and developing an animation system that could be expressive but also safe around guests in that it could be aware of the surroundings.

We're also constantly evaluating and testing different power and mechanical systems so the movements look realistic to where the characters act as living beings but also can perform longer shows than short 15-30 minute performances without needing to be refreshed.

It's actually interesting that for even the team members directly involved with both Lucky and the Muppet Mobile Labs they're not really treated like a mechanical robot but especially with Lucky every morning that we might have him out in the park the teams check up with Lucky as if it were a real dinosaur or animal and you almost form a strange sort of bond with Lucky and concern for his well-being.

The Muppet Mobile Labs specifically represented a new challenge of whether we could take characters that people were familiar with and demonstrate the performance as an interactive character beyond what we accomplished with Lucky. With what we're learning from the in-park tests with the Muppet Mobile Labs it is encouraging that in the future you might see other more familiar characters being brought to life beyond viewing them on a screen in an interactive way.

With Lucky it was about bringing a friendly dinosaur to life but characters like Bunsen and Beaker in some ways are more challenging to try and mimic the original muppet performance and capture that overall look and feel of the characters into an entertaining show and we were fortunate to have access to the some original muppet figures to model and the input of the muppet performers (and specifically Dave Goelz who was quite pleased with how his character Bunsen Honeydew turned out) for how we can tweak the show.

The real interesting test will be soon when the Muppet Mobile Labs should take a visit overseas starting with Hong Kong Disneyland and we'll really get some valuable feedback on the show elements with an audience that won't be as familiar with the character backgrounds.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    The real interesting test will be soon when the Muppet Mobile Labs should take a visit overseas starting with Hong Kong Disneyland
    Do you know when that's going to be?

I'm still baffled about Muppet Mobile Labs being at Epcot. Weird choice of parks, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh PLEEEEASE tell me that Muppet labs will still be there the day after Labor Day!!!! We'll be there then and we were really lamenting the fact that there's not much new (we don't have toddlers) since we went last year! WE LOVE THE MUPPETS!!!!

Oh, Please Disney, don't send all of these cool things overseas! We like to see the prototype stuff too!
    Next visit - January 2018 OKW
    Mar 2015 Offsite
    Jan 2011,12,13&14 CSR
    Sept 2009 CSR & MNSSHP
    Sept 2007 CSR
    Sept 2006 POR & NOJ
    2005 Offsite
    2003 ASM & MVMCP
    2002 Doubletree onsite & MVMCP/1st DQ
    Sept 1999 POFQ / WL & NOJ
    May 1999 CSR/BC
    Dec 1997 & 1998 CBR & MVMCP
    April 1997 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I REALLY hope it's still there end of Sept! I have passed my love of the Muppets onto DD and she would love this (well, so would I )!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I think the question that everyone wants to know is.......What is the date that the Muppet Lab will be leaving?
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    I'm still baffled about Muppet Mobile Labs being at Epcot. Weird choice of parks, IMO.
    If you think about it, it isn't that weird. The only other place it would fit would of course be outside Muppet*Vision 3D since the characters and their lab are featured prominently in the show.
    For this experiment it seems like it's been stationed around the Imagination! Pavillion and Innovations... since it's Muppet Mobile Labs and they are supposedly testing new products or whatever, it seems to fit the area. Add to this that they are REMOVED from the park in which their attraction resides and it helps the Imagineers gauge true familiarity with the characters.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Another question...Is there any way to determine WHERE and WHEN the Muppet Labs can be seen once you're there? I mean, will it be on our guidemap for the day? Is there anyone we can ask?

The only thing worse than having Muppet Labs being gone before we get there Sept 4, would be having it there and us missing it because we didn't know when/where to see it!

It looks like (from the video on youtube) it was in front of Mouse Gear. Is that where it always is?
    Next visit - January 2018 OKW
    Mar 2015 Offsite
    Jan 2011,12,13&14 CSR
    Sept 2009 CSR & MNSSHP
    Sept 2007 CSR
    Sept 2006 POR & NOJ
    2005 Offsite
    2003 ASM & MVMCP
    2002 Doubletree onsite & MVMCP/1st DQ
    Sept 1999 POFQ / WL & NOJ
    May 1999 CSR/BC
    Dec 1997 & 1998 CBR & MVMCP
    April 1997 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg
    I think the question that everyone wants to know is.......What is the date that the Muppet Lab will be leaving?
    A hard date has not been set, although the article reports it will only be around for a "few weeks".
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiifigment View Post
    Another question...Is there any way to determine WHERE and WHEN the Muppet Labs can be seen once you're there? I mean, will it be on our guidemap for the day? Is there anyone we can ask?

It looks like (from the video on youtube) it was in front of Mouse Gear. Is that where it always is?
    To answer a few of your questions- first no, there is not any sort of schedule for the Muppet Mobile Labs. Because this is really more of a test it is subject to periods of time when Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew may be caught up with an experiment gone wrong and unavailable to head out in the parks- I mean they have enough trouble as you can see from some of the video clips out there in their trips around the park without having the MML self-destruct on them and harm chickens in the process* (we also have to watch that poor Beaker and the good Doctor don't get sunburned- between Bunsen's bald head and well, Beaker's very pale legs)

Cast Members in the park have no idea what the testing schedule or locations will be for the Muppet Mobile Labs on any given day- but Beaker and Dr. Honeydew enjoy getting out in the parks at least a few times a day, usually in the mid afternoon (weather permitting)

They'll roll the labs out to different parts of Future World depending on exactly what experiment they're looking to perform with the public- but being that they are scientists they tend to like exploring the areas between Innoventions East & Mission: SPACE, the Fountain of Nations (near Mouse Gear), the Inventor's Circle (between Innoventions West and the Land pavillion) or rolling on towards the Imagination Institute.

Also, keep in mind when WDI initially play-tested the MML at Disney's California Adventure, that test run was for an extremely limited period of time- I believe if I remember correctly they were only in the park from February 27th through March 4th earlier this year (so if you are near Epcot, don't hesitate to try and get down to the park to see them if this is something you want to see).

*Note: no real chickens were harmed by the Muppet Mobile Labs (don't want to upset Gonzo)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    If you think about it, it isn't that weird. The only other place it would fit would of course be outside Muppet*Vision 3D since the characters and their lab are featured prominently in the show.
    Maybe I'd just rather see the Muppets stay in their little place in the "World".

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of the people who have just returned from WDW seen a schedule for how long they are showing this? We won't be there until Oct. 1!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool. Now they should make a roger rabbit and Benny the cab for MGM sorry Hollywood studios.
    Offero

81, 82, 84, 85, 87, 90 - Disneyland (Off Site)
    83 - Offsite
    95 - Offsite
    00 - Kissimmee
    03 - Pop Music
    06 - Port Orleans/ Cruise

"The crowd which follows me with admiration, would run with the same eagerness were I marching to the Guillotine."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    Have any of the people who have just returned from WDW seen a schedule for how long they are showing this? We won't be there until Oct. 1!
    I was there this past Saturday. Looked for the MML most of the day (spending an inordinate amount of time in FW), but I didn't see it.

There's no time schedule printed on the times guide, it's just potluck.

WDW- '71, '74, '83, '88, '89, '97, '98, '99, '00 (x2), '01, NYE '02/'03, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07 (x2), '08, '09 (x2)
    DCL (Magic)- '99
    DL Paris- '01
    DL/ DCA- '05

Magic Music Days- '88, '98, '00, '05, '07, '09
    Festival Disney- '05, '07, '09
    DVC Member Since 2000 (Vero, BC & Saratoga)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    We were there last week and lucked into seeing the Muppet Mobile Lab outside of Innoventions West near the Inventor's Circle. We were just walking by when they appeared. So, of course, we stopped and got to watch their whole show. They were practicing "stopping on a dime" that day (Friday, Aug 21 at 11am), but were not too successful. (it was our friend's dime they were using! )

As Mufasa has said- there are no schedules. Nothing was printed on the Timetable for the day, and the CMs in the area do not have any idea when or where they will appear. I guess Dr Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker have not formalized or publicized their schedules yet.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, no! I was at WDW for two weeks and only got back on Monday 27th. I didn't know anything about the Muppet Mobile Labs. Maybe Disney should try advertising these things more to guests.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw video of this on Youtube and I think it looks absolutely awesome.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

We saw them last week on the walkway to the land, near Character Connection! It was a lot of fun and very exciting. Here is a pic!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

I happened to catch the Muppet Mobile Labs yesterday morning (9/2) at 9:50 a.m. at the Inventor's Circle. I'm not sure what they were specifically looking to accomplish with that particular experiment, but there sure were a lot of laughs. I walked away from the experience, marvelling at yet another wonder of Imagineering.

You can't really blame me for wanting to be a part of that culture...the LCI is an absolutely amazing project.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

It is rumoured that the tests may be concluded prior to the end of this week ....
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: