Quantcast Ten Most Interesting Theme Park Lawsuits against Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ten Most Interesting Theme Park Lawsuits against Disney

Here's a report from The Hollywood Reporter about Disney Lawsuits:

Another week, another lawsuit involving Disney World. Some employes at the Happiest Place on Earth have just filed a proposed class action alleging that Disney violated their privacy by making them show their social security numbers on their ID badges. The plaintiffs include bell clerks and room service cashiers at the Disney World hotel in Orlando, Florida. The complaint hints at possible identity theft but doesn't offer any specific damage.

The suit reminds us that Disney World has a history of facing down lawsuits. Some have merit. Others are just plain crazy. Here are our picks for the ten most interesting ways Disney has been sued over the years....

1.Parents of a 4-year old boy sued alleging that a 2-feet high fence wasn't high enough to keep their child from drowning in the moat.

2.Pennsylvania parents sued with claims their four-year-old died of cardiac arrythmia while riding the Mission: Space ride.

3.Three disabled people sued over Disney World's ban on Segway scooters.

4.A Disney World employee, a practicing Sikh, sued with claims his red turban didn't conform to the "Disney look" and he suffered discrimination. Also, the Teamster's Union sued with claims that its "English only" policies discriminated against the Disney World hotel's Haitian and Hispanic housekeeping and laundry workers

5.A woman who rode Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror ride up to 50 times a day, saying it was the only thing that alleviated a medical condition she had, sued with claims she was banned from the Disney World park.

6.One park visitor sued claiming she was beaten by another park visitor and that Disney didn't have adequate security staff.

7.A mother sued after her 21-year-old son, an employee at Disney World, died in a collision while operating the monorail.

8.A Pennsylvania woman sued with allegations her breast was groped by Donald Duck.

9.A man sued for allegedly being stranded on the "It's a Small World" ride for 40 minutes.

10.San Diego parents sued after their young sun suffered "severe burns" from scalding hot nacho cheese at the entertainment resort.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Some do have merit, but some certainly comes under the "bad parenting" label.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

While some of these are just plain silly,others may have merit. I think you would really need the particulars on each case to really pass judgment. I don't think I would be happy about my SS# being out there like that either, I would try to solve it without suing first though.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I must admit I am intrigued by no. 5.

What medical condition could that possibly be?

*Off to Google*

This has got to be a doozy...
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

I took the "Undiscovered Futureworld" tour some years ago. The CM giving the tour told us about this as we were entering the (former) hydrolators into the Living Seas building.

It seems someone sued Disney because they got the bends or something like that because of the rapid hydrolator descent into SeaBase Alpha. She said they actually brought the judge and jury to Disney World to see for themselves that the hydrolator didn't go anywhere!

Post Thanks / Like

Social security numbers on ID badges? I'm guessing those are not badges the general public would see like Castmember name badges.

I used to work insurance claims and people will sue for anything. But like other posters said-- some of these due have merit. I have no idea if Disney tries to settle these, denies all claims, etc. Most of them will probably settle out of court. I could tell you guys some stories of some claims I've handled. Wow, you wonder how some people survive in today's times.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Reading these just make me sad for the parents who lost children or families who lost someone. True, there are frivolous lawsuits and some odd ones. Like number one-- the child didn't actually make it into the moat or come to harm, right? That's just weird. But the loss of the monorail driver and the four year old on Mission: Space... these are tragedies I remember and I can't even imagine the emotional pain for the families. I want to think that Disney would do everything they could for those families, even when it's not even Disney at fault. So sorry for their losses.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously....
    Some of these things are just plain 'ole ridiculous and the result of poor judgment/parenting.

Some are sad, for the parent's of the 4-year old. It was just bad circumstances as their child had something that went undiagnosed, which most of the time is the case with these type of heart conditions.

The woman being "banned" from the parks over riding tower of terror 50 times. I can't imagine what condition that would help???

Oh my...
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I would be real interested to know the outcome of some of these. Does anybody know of a way to find out, preferably all in place?
    I searched Wikipedia, but didn't find anything. Maybe I will create one.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I would be real interested to know the outcome of some of these. Does anybody know of a way to find out, preferably all in place?
    I searched Wikipedia, but didn't find anything. Maybe I will create one.

I googled no.5, but I don't have have time to cut and paste.

Long and short of it is. The woman had adhesions in her abdomen. Every Saturday, she would ride ToT with a GAC numerous times--up to 20 times in a Sat. She even had a doctor's note stating this was breaking up the adhesions. (Honestly?) CM's never had a problem with this until a new manger started working ToT. She was limited to four times, she got angry.

Disney say the banned her because she was cursing. She denies it. Quelle surprise.

So it would seem that she wan't banned for riding ToT ad nauseaum, but rather for being abusive to a CM.....
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UCJen View Post
    Long and short of it is. The woman had adhesions in her abdomen. Every Saturday, she would ride ToT with a GAC numerous times--up to 20 times in a Sat. She even had a doctor's note stating this was breaking up the adhesions. (Honestly?) CM's never had a problem with this until a new manger started working ToT. She was limited to four times, she got angry.

Disney say the banned her because she was cursing. She denies it. Quelle surprise.

So it would seem that she wan't banned for riding ToT ad nauseaum, but rather for being abusive to a CM.....
    I remember that one. It was interesting to say the least. I wouldn't have a problem with the lady going, and riding multiple times a day, but that was an abuse of the GAC.
    I think the abuse came when they told her she couldn't ride any more.

Crazy stuff!
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone that can handle riding TOT that many times, in my opinion, should be able to get a special fastpass to just stay on it! But she would have to sign a waiver that promises her family won't sue if she suddenly dies

I'm very interested about the SS numbers being shown, this is something I've never heard of!
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I remember most of these on the list - many are not that old. I particularly remember the little boy on Mission:Space, as we were at Epcot the day it happened.

Considering that everything from our Car Insurance ID cards, workplace papers, medical insurance cards, etc. dropped our SS #s years ago, I too am surprised that this is a continuing practice. Goodness, you're told to not even carry your social security card in your wallet anymore due to how prevalent ID theft is.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of sad what some people will do to spread the blame...
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the SSN on the ID, I'd be a lil unhappy about that. Your ID gets seen by a lot of people, mostly other CMs since they aren't supposed to be viewable by guest when on stage. If memory serves me right, when we're offstage the ID is supposed to be viewable, or we're supposed to challenge someone for their ID. You're also supposed to have your ID on you at all times. When doing some roles, there's a risk it could fall out of a pocket, etc. If a guest finds it, it could end up being used for less than honest reasons. So I that lawsuit. I know on a few occasions I almost lost mine when I'd make a rescue or something...
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Most of these cases are frivolous. It is sad about the four year old and the Monorail worker, the 4 year old had a pre-existing condition that was undiagnosed. It wasn't Disney's fault although the newsmedia tried to make it so. That's why there are now 2 versions of the ride, one with spinning and one without. The monorail one though, should not have happened, it was an accident. Accidents happen.

A friend of mine that used to work as a paramedic at Disney once told me about having to tesify in court because a woman tried to sue Disney because during a storm that popped up while she was at the park caused a brick from the castle hit her in the head. It was proven in court that threre are no bricks in Cinderella's castle and that the castle is mainly fiberglass and steel. They never found the alleged brick.
    It was determined by the court that in the storm she may have gotten hit by flying debris from the branches of nearby trees and Disney cannot be held responsible for that since that would be considered an act of God.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UCJen View Post
    The woman had adhesions in her abdomen. Every Saturday, she would ride ToT with a GAC numerous times--up to 20 times in a Sat. .....So it would seem that she wan't banned for riding ToT ad nauseaum, but rather for being abusive to a CM.....
    for those newbies that don't know the jargon
    GAC = Guest Assistance Card
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just loving #9...stuck on It's a Small World....hehehehe
    Oct '94 - WL
    Feb '96 - PO
    Nov '96 - ASMu/Offsite
    Oct '97 - Cari
    Aug '98 - Off Site
    Feb '99 - ASMovies
    Oct '00 - Poly/BC
    Sep '01 - POR
    May '02 - WL/POR
    Jan '04 - BC and Cont
    Dec '04 - POP
    Jan '06 - BC
    Dec '07 - POR
    Aug '09 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

#9 is legit in my book, as I would consider spending anytime at all on IASW as being officially stranded. I'd have to swim for it.
    Dan

1993-Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the man who was stuck on IASW is a paraplegic. I had wondered as well about how someone could be "stuck" on it, but saw the details later.

I'll add the disclaimer that you can't make a definitive conclusion without the details, but with that being said...there are some people out there who will sue for anything at anytime, as long as the target has money.
    DD is headed back this summer for a 2nd tour as a CP Intern!
    Time to renew our annual passes.

Last trip was Mar 2015
    Next trip is Aug 2015
    Began with day trips in 70's
    Too many trips to count

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: