Quantcast Fastpass+ kills family/friend meetings

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Fastpass+ kills family/friend meetings

Another post about fastpass+ led me to this thought. When I go to WDW, from time to time, I have chance meetings with friends. I usually don't know about it until the week before we leave for the trip, or maybe no even until the day before. So what happens when we do meet up? Let's say I have a fastpass+ to hit Space Mt at 11am, but by friends don't have one. Furthermore, because of fastpass+, there are no fastpasses until 6pm that evening. Do I then dump my family's desire to ride SM, or do I dump my friends?

It's just another problem with the system. Seems like Disney is intent on making us do things that none of us want really want to do. Sounds familiar these days.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Another post about fastpass+ led me to this thought. When I go to WDW, from time to time, I have chance meetings with friends. I usually don't know about it until the week before we leave for the trip, or maybe no even until the day before. So what happens when we do meet up? Let's say I have a fastpass+ to hit Space Mt at 11am, but by friends don't have one. Furthermore, because of fastpass+, there are no fastpasses until 6pm that evening. Do I then dump my family's desire to ride SM, or do I dump my friends?

It's just another problem with the system. Seems like Disney is intent on making us do things that none of us want really want to do. Sounds familiar these days.
    You dump your friends... I had the same issue in October... I had FP+ booked for three attractions in DAK, my friends decided to come join us that that... While we FP'd the attractions, they skipped them and waited for us to come off the ride...

Disney is intent on controlling every minute of your vacation... they don't want you in control cause, GASP, you may leave property to enjoy better and newer things elsewhere instead of the same cobweb infested old stuff...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep seeing complaints by the same people about Disney. If you hate it so bad, stop going! Sheesh!!!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

But under the old fastpass system this could happen as well. What if you are early risers and get to the park before your friends then you will have fastpasses that they won't be able to utilize either.

I do agree that there are parts of this system that create new problems that shouldn't be problems. But that's a reality when there is a technology up grade (just read about Chicago's CTA fare card system, Ventra. It's more screwed up than MyMagic+).

I just hope that as time goes on there is more flexibility in the new system after they get past the testing phase. Again I have a hard time passing final judgement since I won't be back to WDW until October 2014. At that point I think I will have a good old vs. new comparison since we are going to DL in a few weeks.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said how is this different then you holding a regular fast pass?

If its for something that actually is hard to get on without a fast pass, say toy story mania and you managed to get one in the AM, ran into friends and now none are left for the day... same predicament as before.

You could *gasp* wait in line with your friends and have a pleasant conversation whilst waiting.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledraf View Post
    I keep seeing complaints by the same people about Disney. If you hate it so bad, stop going! Sheesh!!!
    Not sure if it's hate just frustration. I love disney but no business is perfect. Luckily the pros always out weigh the cons.. because just being there makes me euphoric.
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    You could *gasp* wait in line with your friends and have a pleasant conversation whilst waiting.
    Amen.

best,

................john

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    As others have said how is this different then you holding a regular fast pass?

If its for something that actually is hard to get on without a fast pass, say toy story mania and you managed to get one in the AM, ran into friends and now none are left for the day... same predicament as before.

Guess you guys aren't getting it. On several different occasions, I've met friends at WDW from NJ, TENN, and FL. We meet at the gates in the morning and hang out for the day. If I have fastpasses that I booked two months ago, I have to dump them to hang with them. In the past, we'd all go to a fastpass station and get one for the same ride. Now with Fastpass-minus, all those passes will be gone by noon. So I can get my kids through a 1 hour line for Soarin' and other long lines, or lose are passes. It's just another complication that doesn't need to happen. Dump plus.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Guess you guys aren't getting it. On several different occasions, I've met friends at WDW from NJ, TENN, and FL. We meet at the gates in the morning and hang out for the day. If I have fastpasses that I booked two months ago, I have to dump them to hang with them. In the past, we'd all go to a fastpass station and get one for the same ride. Now with Fastpass-minus, all those passes will be gone by noon. So I can get my kids through a 1 hour line for Soarin' and other long lines, or lose are passes. It's just another complication that doesn't need to happen. Dump plus.
    I understood and agree but just hadn't responded. I do the same thing, when friends are in town I'll sometimes meet them over there for a few hours. The most recent time for that my friends were on the FP+ system and so we met but I couldn't get FP return times to match the ones they booked weeks early so we couldn't do any headliner attractions together.

Yeah of course we could all get in the standby line and wait 60 minutes but that defeats the whole purpose of Fastpass both for them and for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledraf View Post
    I won't easily fit into the "complaints by the same people category" (check my posts from way back and you will even see me referred to as a "fanboy" from time to time--maybe even by some of the folks you have in mind).

But in my mind the new fastpass+ system (as it now exists and is proposed to ultimately work) is a slow moving train wreck that is worthy of complaints and lots of them. It completely stifles the ability to not have to micro manage your trip 90 days out and leaves little room for either spontaneity or even a washout day due to rain.

Don't forget that many of us actually go on vacation to get away from tight scheduling and thus see little to be gained from the new system...other than Disney being able to track us more efficiently and improve their ability to craftily market their products to us on a more individual basis.

And while some people on the site don't want to read anything but pixie dust laced accolades about how wonderful everything is at disney... and then casually invite folks who see problems to stop going...remember that most of the people on here who complain do so out of a passion for WDW...often times because they want to see it return to a very special place they remember from their childhood...a place that once truly had no genuine competition in the theme park world.

And finally if you know who the folks are who tend to write less than glowing comments about WDW or who simply say things in a way that irritates you...a very easy remedy to the frustration they appear to cause you would be to simply not read their posts anymore. There are some folks here that I read... and some that I choose to take a pass on.

However, while I don't agree with everything they say I do enjoy the discussion and find that the "complainers" often times make some very valid arguments. Sometimes they are painful, but valid nevertheless.

Just my two cents.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    ...a place that once truly had no genuine competition in the theme park world.
    More than that, they also used to define customer service excellence that went way beyond all industry. Disney has surrendered that leadership position, much like they have many others over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

I think WDW will have to rethink the fast pass+ system. The rest of the wristband options seem they will work great but I am not happy we have to plan our rides, don't get to pick times that work for us, and only get 3 choices per day in one park. We are park hoppers and like to get more fast passes than what we are being offered. Next week I hope will go well for us. I am going to just chill and enjoy, try not to stress out and just be happy to be "home".
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I won't easily fit into the "complaints by the same people category" (check my posts from way back and you will even see me referred to as a "fanboy" from time to time--maybe even by some of the folks you have in mind).

But in my mind the new fastpass+ system (as it now exists and is proposed to ultimately work) is a slow moving train wreck that is worthy of complaints and lots of them. It completely stifles the ability to not have to micro manage your trip 90 days out and leaves little room for either spontaneity or even a washout day due to rain.

Don't forget that many of us actually go on vacation to get away from tight scheduling and thus see little to be gained from the new system...other than Disney being able to track us more efficiently and improve their ability to craftily market their products to us on a more individual basis.

And while some people on the site don't want to read anything but pixie dust laced accolades about how wonderful everything is at disney... and then casually invite folks who see problems to stop going...remember that most of the people on here who complain do so out of a passion for WDW...often times because they want to see it return to a very special place they remember from their childhood...a place that once truly had no genuine competition in the theme park world.

And finally if you know who the folks are who tend to write less than glowing comments about WDW or who simply say things in a way that irritates you...a very easy remedy to the frustration they appear to cause you would be to simply not read their posts anymore. There are some folks here that I read... and some that I choose to take a pass on.

However, while I don't agree with everything they say I do enjoy the discussion and find that the "complainers" often times make some very valid arguments. Sometimes they are painful, but valid nevertheless.

Just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    More than that, they also used to define customer service excellence that went way beyond all industry. Disney has surrendered that leadership position, much like they have many others over the years.
    These were two very good posts. I will admit, I am in the complainer category for the last several years. Your posts describe my position perfectly.

I remember back when I would go to WDW, spend thousands and leave the place amazed and completely happy. Sometimes I would even think "I can't believe they gave me all of that for that amount of money....I just don't see how they pull it all off." I am sure there are many of you that know the exact feeling.

However, I now almost dread going. I can't help myself because I have always liked the place so much and have so many memories but it has really became a chore to plan and go and I leave the place feeling like all they wanted was to take me for everything they could. Instead of them trying to dazzle me and make me hungry for more, they just want to get all they can as quickly as possible. It is complete pole reversal from before.

There have been things I have complained about but learned to deal with such as the ADR's for dining. I just resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never eat in most of the TS restaurants again because I simply will not make ADR's months ahead of time and then work my vacation around them. Besides that, we have a restaurant comparable to or better than any restaurant onsite within an hour or two of home. I don't go to WDW to eat.

Now one thing is certain, I will not deal with and will and have stopped going to WDW because of FP+. Those who keep saying "just quit going" well I have and I won't be back until they fix the mess. You may think you are cute by saying those things but when myself and the majority of the other regulars quit going, see how you like the customer service and amenities after they haven't made any profit or even worse lost money for a few years. None of us want to see that and that is why we are so passionate in our posts about our displeasure lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents.
    So happy to see someone else so accurately voice what my skepticism and dislike for the idea of FP+ is. I refuse to micromanage my vacation, however I love Disney, so it seems I have two choices : make vacation as stressful as "real life" or stop going. No like.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MargaretMessler View Post
    So happy to see someone else so accurately voice what my skepticism and dislike for the idea of FP+ is. I refuse to micromanage my vacation, however I love Disney, so it seems I have two choices : make vacation as stressful as "real life" or stop going. No like.
    I've been thinking that no one else thought as I do, and, lo and behold, I find out I'm not alone. I have never micromanaged my vacations; I found out in June 2012 just how fragile life can be. Due to health reasons, I can't take sole vacations anymore and I definitely can't get stressed unnecessarily. I will never let a vacation become stressful and I will continue to have restful, peaceful vacations. For us, not being able to ride a thrill ride or visit a favorite attraction will never mean that the world is coming to an end. There are so many wonderful experiences around every corner.

I've also skipped negative posts, as well as posts by those who do nothing but complain, or by those who think their opinions/likes/etc., are the only ones that count. I could say more, but I prefer to keep that to myself.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to meet up and do the attractions with shorter waifs or have a meal together. That's what we did.
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

I was glad to hear that they're postponing the roll out. Hopefully that means they're taking the negative feedback into consideration.

We have not experienced FP+ yet. I'm reserving my opinion until that happens. We're looking at maybe next May.

I completely understand how the "just stop going" comments are not helpful. However, we make a point to experience different destinations every other year. We only go to Disney every 2 years. I think this makes a huge difference in our experiences. I wouldn't want the success of our vacations to hinge on only one destination. For those of you who are really unhappy with a change Disney makes, but still love it and don't want to stop going, try alternating it with other destinations. You might love the results!

Post Thanks / Like

Is Disneyland also rolling out the FP+ system? If not, maybe we'll just head there next time.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Is Disneyland also rolling out the FP+ system? If not, maybe we'll just head there next time.
    My understanding is that it has not been introduced in California as of now.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
    You'll have to meet up and do the attractions with shorter waifs or have a meal together. That's what we did.
    LOL - I know this is a typo, but it made me laugh! Like Annie? or Oliver Twist?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: