Quantcast Universal Express Pass

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Universal Express Pass

Hi, again. Sorry for posting so many questions, but we are still trying to decide if it is worth taking a day away from a Disney vacation to go to Universal Studios.

I noticed they don't have a free FastPass system, but rather an Express Pass system, which is free only to resort guests. Off-site guests need to pay $25.99 for a pass. My questions is: does each member in the party need an Express Pass? Also, do they have something similar to child swap? The reason is because you can only use your Express Pass ONCE per day on an attraction. If my DD8 and I use our Express Pass on a ride, can my wife and DD8 then return in a child swap line, with only my wife using her Express Pass? Or must they now stand in stand-by?

Thanks.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can buy a pass but the price varies by date and crowd expectation. It starts at $25.99 per person but can be more. They charge more depending on dates and crowd estimations. Sometimes is is better just to stay onsite for one night just for this reason. Each person riding needs their own express pass to use the express line. You can do child swap.

To answer your question, I don't think they would allow your daughter to ride again in the express line using the swap, if she's already used her express pass. Only your wife would be able to. They scan the pass at the attraction to keep track. BUT, I am not 100% sure though because we haven't done child swap and express pass together.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe DVC is correct. Only one ride per Express Pass even when using child swap. And yes everyone needs to buy an Express Pass in order to use the Express pass line. Also keep in mind that FJ does not have an Express Pass line, so your wait time can be long since it is such a popular attration.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We've found that the Express Pass isn't necessary when it's offered for $25.99 during slow periods. We've gone to Universal Studios a couple of times in January and have never had problems with lines. It's also a great benefit to be there when the park opens, because it takes a while to fill up (everbody seems to head to Islands of Adventure for the Harry Potter rides) and you can get a lot done in the first couple of hours.

Post Thanks / Like

If I go to Universal, I am staying on site. You quickly find out how much it is worth it when you walk by 300 people in a line 5 times.

If you buy the EP, it is only good once per ride. It is of little benefit if that is the case. We have gone in the middle of June twice now. One morning my buddy and I left the wife and kids to meet us later. This is what we accomplished in 3 hours:

1x Forbidden Journeys
    8x Dueling Dragons
    10x Hulk
    5x Spriderman
    3x Dudley Dooright
    2x Bluto's Bilge Rat
    2x Jurassic Park

On-site EP lets you do everything you want so much faster. It is a huge money saver if you value your time to stay on-site. I would NEVER buy the EP.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

We just spent the day at IOA. Had the 25 dollar EP, and it was worth it. Not every ride needed it, as we got there when they first opened. But we didn't use it in the morning when wait times were 10 mins or less, and in the afternoon, rode everything again w/ the EP and got in and out. Rode everything in the park twice, saw Poseiden's Fury once all before 3pm.

So, will definitely buy it again, and would highly recommend it. Paid off big time for Spiderman.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others who suggest staying onsite at Universal. Don't forget that if you stay onsite you get in to IOA an hour earlier than park opening to take advantage of the Harry Potter section. DD and I were able to ride FJ four times in the hour, did the Hippogriff ride a couple of times and were making our way out of the area just as the masses were walking in.

That, plus the unlimited Express Pass, made it so worth it to stay onsite.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I'm almost sure each person must have their own. IDK how their child swap work (or if they even have one). I'm sure you could contact Universal directly and get that information.

It just depends on you. If you want to get their and back and have money to spare, go for it. Also, it depends on when you want to go. If its not busy, don't buy it. If its in August, then it may be worth it. Although I have found that Universal is not nearly as busy, but maybe thats just me?

DBF took a day trip to Univeral and we considered buying the speed pass. The woman selling the passes read us the current wait times. They were long, but we were really in no rush (and operating under a tight theme park budget) so we decided not to. When we got inside the waits weren't as terrible as she was saying.

I think it just depends on what time of year you go and if you need to make it quick. Universal has really stepped up their game with ride ques and I really enjoyed most of the waits.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it probably depends on the time of your trip. We were at IOA this past Sunday for the first time and we didn't opt for the Express Pass because all we really wanted to do was Harry Potter and we figured we could surely accomplish that in one days time. Honestly I felt a little bit bad for the people who did pay extra for the pass because the park really wasn't that crowded. Most of the lines we walked past were 10-15 minutes. I think it's kind of dishonest for Universal to promote the Express Pass as a perk during slower times of year when they probably know that lines won't be long.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We used ours last week when it was slow. Its still an advantage, but only if you plan to ride more than once on some things... 25 bucks, well worth it for a 2nd quick ride on Spiderman, JP, and a few others.

But if money is tighter, can probably get by, and if you have a fair amount of time. Now days where its 50, or busier times of year, its great.

One thing, we rode Dr. Seuse a few times, it was great to use it once, just not to have to walk down 2 miles of lines (even if they were empty).

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: