Quantcast Ch Ch Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ch Ch Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes....

For quite a while, it seemed that there were a fair number of complaints about how WDW wasn't changing and keeping up with Universal, or how whenever they were planning to make updates, that the projects got slashed and became shells of what they were supposed to be in order to save money. All true.

My wife and I went to WDW at least once a year, every year, for almost 20 years. Often with family, but sometimes by ourselves. And it seemed that not much changed. In reality, WDW is always changing, but not necessarily in big ways. Little improvements/changes here and there. Like updating the queues to make them interactive. Or introducing a newly themed restaurant. Small stuff.

Our last trip was the Hurricane Irma trip in late 2017. It was a great trip, because most people cleared out, worried about the hurricane. No lines for a couple of days!

We still don't have anything concrete planned, but we're thinking about going back in April 2020 to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, and I was just looking at everything that will have changed between September 2017 and April 2020 (Yes, I know that not all of this will be open in April 2020):

Star Wars Land
    Toy Story Land
    Epcot entrance/Future World gutting and construction
    Space-themed restaurant at Epcot
    Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway Ride
    Japan pavilion signature restaurant
    Riviera resort opened
    NBA experience
    Caribbean Beach resort new massive hotel building
    Skyliner transportation
    France pavilion Creperie restaurant
    France Pavilion ride under construction
    O Canada new movie (?)
    Illuminations replaced
    Tron Coaster well under construction
    Guardians of the Galaxy coaster well under construction

That's a lot of changes. We won't recognize Hollywood Studios! Very excited for all of these changes.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2. Likes dizneydeb22, Mariano O'Kon, Jeff liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of cash! I know you mentioned the NBA experience, but how about all the expansion at Disney Springs? Plus all of the overall infrastructure improvements at WDW? they may get some government subsidies, but my guess is that much of it is on their dime. I'm excited about the changes too. If only we could get them to fix FP+...
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    That's a lot of cash! I know you mentioned the NBA experience, but how about all the expansion at Disney Springs? Plus all of the overall infrastructure improvements at WDW? they may get some government subsidies, but my guess is that much of it is on their dime. I'm excited about the changes too. If only we could get them to fix FP+...
    They can completely rebuild WDW and I would still refuse to go there as long as FP+ is still in place. I think I am in the minority though as they keep packing them in with it.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

6. Thanks Wayne, RunDMV thanked for this post
    Likes Wayne, Maleficent_vf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    They can completely rebuild WDW and I would still refuse to go there as long as FP+ is still in place. I think I am in the minority though as they keep packing them in with it.
    Yeah, I don't like FP+, but mainly because it changed the way I approached my planning. It's not enough to keep me away. Just had to change the mindset about how/when to hit parks and ride the rides. I am hoping that they fix it, though.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

8. Likes PopPhan, Mariano O'Kon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't not go to WDW because of FP+, just adapt and over come!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

10. Likes PopPhan, DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. There are many people who hate it and many who really like it. But in the end, it's a choice. You don't have to do FP+ to visit and enjoy the place.

That really is a long, interesting list of changes. One other one I hope might pop up by spring of 2020 is a new show at Disney Springs to replace La Nouba. That building has been dark for too long now.

12. Likes PopPhan, DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Agreed. There are many people who hate it and many who really like it. But in the end, it's a choice. You don't have to do FP+ to visit and enjoy the place.

That really is a long, interesting list of changes. One other one I hope might pop up by spring of 2020 is a new show at Disney Springs to replace La Nouba. That building has been dark for too long now.
    They have been working inside the building and a new show is in the works, but nothing concrete to report on as yet.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I have. I’ve adapted to not going and overcome it by going elsewhere and realizing I enjoy it more
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

15. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Likes RunDMV, texas211, Cinderelley, Wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to nitpick, but the tower by Caribbean Beach is the Riviera resort... I think you may have meant Gran Destino, which is a part of Coronado Springs... Both resorts look fantastic...

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    They have been working inside the building and a new show is in the works, but nothing concrete to report on as yet.
    The new show is rumored to be a show celebrating Disney animation, movies, and music... Nothing concrete though... I'm interested to see what is officially announced... No doubt the show will be awesome though... La Nouba usually hits it out of the park with their shows...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

17. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have. I’ve adapted to not going and overcome it by going elsewhere and realizing I enjoy it more
    I thoroughly enjoyed not staying onsite last year. I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting other places. My trips now are mostly due to nostalgia reasons, and they are quickly getting rid of those reasons.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

19. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This only works if it is something worth adapting and over coming for. Disney World doesn't fall into that category for a lot of people any more.

21. Thanks texas211, Wayne thanked for this post
    Likes texas211, Wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Not to nitpick, but the tower by Caribbean Beach is the Riviera resort... I think you may have meant Gran Destino, which is a part of Coronado Springs... Both resorts look fantastic...
    Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but for the life of me I couldn't find the "Edit" button to go back and change it!
    DL - 1996, 2019

23. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed not staying onsite last year. I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting other places. My trips now are mostly due to nostalgia reasons, and they are quickly getting rid of those reasons.
    You know, for almost 18 years, every vacation that wasn't specifically to visit family wound up being a trip to WDW. We've never even tried Universal. And we loved it. We made a lot of memories with our kids and other families who joined us from time-to-time. But then, in 2016 when the National Parks had a big anniversary, my wife decided to go and visit as many of those as we could. So now our vacations all revolve around visiting the National Parks and any NPS units that happen to be along the way.

In that time, we've seen many Civil War battlefields, taken tours of caves, gone snorkeling with sea turtles in the Virgin Islands, seen a sunrise from the top of a mountain in Hawai'i, seen lava in Hawai'i, visited the places where our Founding Fathers created this nation, hiked and camped in a river canyon in Utah, experienced the Grand Canyon, taken a two hour catamaran ride from Key West to a spit of land in the Gulf of Mexico, and just generally seen a lot of amazing and sacred places in our country. And I've only hit 1/4th of the total number of sites so far. It's been a lot of fun. There are certainly other places to enjoy.

But I still miss Disney. We have a Google Home Hub in our kitchen, and often when we're cooking or hanging out, we'll tell it to play the Today at Walt Disney World channel on YouTube, which is a recording of the channel you can find on your resort TV that lists the parks' schedules for that day with great Disney background music. The other day we were driving home from NYC (8 hour drive), and we listened to Disney Parks music from another website that I love. There is just something about Disney. Even with the changes they make. Even with the extra fees that are nickel & diming us to death. We still love going to Walt Disney World. We just aren't going as often.

We have a few more trips planned this year. In those trips, we're going to see Fredericksburg (Civil War sites), Baltimore (and a few places in DC), Bryan Adams and Billy Idol in concert, Great Basin National Park (Nevada), Aerosmith in Vegas, Death Valley Nat'l Park, Sequoia Nat'l Park, Kings Canyon Nat'l Park, and the Channel Islands Nat'l Park. But you know what our kids (22, 19, 14) are the most excited for? Three days at Disneyland in late October.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    You know, for almost 18 years, every vacation that wasn't specifically to visit family wound up being a trip to WDW. We've never even tried Universal. And we loved it. We made a lot of memories with our kids and other families who joined us from time-to-time. But then, in 2016 when the National Parks had a big anniversary, my wife decided to go and visit as many of those as we could. So now our vacations all revolve around visiting the National Parks and any NPS units that happen to be along the way.

In that time, we've seen many Civil War battlefields, taken tours of caves, gone snorkeling with sea turtles in the Virgin Islands, seen a sunrise from the top of a mountain in Hawai'i, seen lava in Hawai'i, visited the places where our Founding Fathers created this nation, hiked and camped in a river canyon in Utah, experienced the Grand Canyon, taken a two hour catamaran ride from Key West to a spit of land in the Gulf of Mexico, and just generally seen a lot of amazing and sacred places in our country. And I've only hit 1/4th of the total number of sites so far. It's been a lot of fun. There are certainly other places to enjoy.

But I still miss Disney. We have a Google Home Hub in our kitchen, and often when we're cooking or hanging out, we'll tell it to play the Today at Walt Disney World channel on YouTube, which is a recording of the channel you can find on your resort TV that lists the parks' schedules for that day with great Disney background music. The other day we were driving home from NYC (8 hour drive), and we listened to Disney Parks music from another website that I love. There is just something about Disney. Even with the changes they make. Even with the extra fees that are nickel & diming us to death. We still love going to Walt Disney World. We just aren't going as often.

We have a few more trips planned this year. In those trips, we're going to see Fredericksburg (Civil War sites), Baltimore (and a few places in DC), Bryan Adams and Billy Idol in concert, Great Basin National Park (Nevada), Aerosmith in Vegas, Death Valley Nat'l Park, Sequoia Nat'l Park, Kings Canyon Nat'l Park, and the Channel Islands Nat'l Park. But you know what our kids (22, 19, 14) are the most excited for? Three days at Disneyland in late October.
    Sounds like you guys have had some amazing trips. I may have to add some of these to my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but for the life of me I couldn't find the "Edit" button to go back and change it!
    No worries, I think we all knew what you meant...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you guys have had some amazing trips. I may have to add some of these to my wish list.
    Haleakala Nat'l Park (on Maui) and Hawai'i Volcanoes Nat'l Park (on the Big Island) should be on everyone's list. The views from the top of Haleakala are stunning. And luckily we got to go to Hawai'i Volcanoes back when there was actually lava in the park, which is no longer the case since the eruption last year. That eruption actually drained the active lava flows and lava lakes that were in the park boundaries, transporting the magma through subterranean channels, to erupt in a rift zone in a neighborhood. Now, of course, the neighborhood is gone, and will never be rebuilt. They should just annex that as part of the National Park. But there is still a lot to do and see there.

If anyone is interested, I have curated albums of all of our trips, National Park and Disney, on my Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25939479@N03/albums
    DL - 1996, 2019

28. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haleakala Nat'l Park (on Maui) and Hawai'i Volcanoes Nat'l Park (on the Big Island) should be on everyone's list. The views from the top of Haleakala are stunning. And luckily we got to go to Hawai'i Volcanoes back when there was actually lava in the park, which is no longer the case since the eruption last year. That eruption actually drained the active lava flows and lava lakes that were in the park boundaries, transporting the magma through subterranean channels, to erupt in a rift zone in a neighborhood. Now, of course, the neighborhood is gone, and will never be rebuilt. They should just annex that as part of the National Park. But there is still a lot to do and see there.

If anyone is interested, I have curated albums of all of our trips, National Park and Disney, on my Flickr page.

Thanks. I'll have to browse through your pictures when I have more time.

Post Thanks / Like

I never really had any desire to go to Hawaii. After looking at your pics though, I'll definitely need to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I never really had any desire to go to Hawaii. After looking at your pics though, I'll definitely need to go.
    Hawaii was fantastic! If you stay at Aulani then you'll feel right at home like you are at any other Disney resort. We only visiting Oahu, but definitely want to get to other islands next time...with or without Aulani.
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

We had enough DVC points to stay at Aulani for our two nights on Oahu. It was fantastic! When Aulani opened, I never thought I'd stay there. But it worked out, and it was a great resort. Loved it.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: