Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney's Hollywood Studios

Just got a flash on DisneyLink:

Effective January 2008, Disney-MGM Studios will be renamed Disney's Hollywood Studios.

DisneyLink will not allow me to copy/paste the article, but I assure you it is genuine.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds better than "Disney - Pixar Studios"
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

A quick Google search turned up nothing on this rumor outside of this post ... I'll be surprised if this is the case, because I've seen tons of quasi-official confirmation that it's going to be Disney-Pixar Studios.

Which, I beg to differ Scar, is a MUCH better name that Disney's Hollywood Studios. That makes no sense.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I read this too on another Disney website, (sorry I strayed, but came to intercot for more info)

Apparently, Disney MGM studios willl ne know as Disney Hollywood Studios from Jan 08. Lets see if we can get more confirmation

Nicola
    DVC Member<br /><br />Next WDW trip - not soon enough !

Post Thanks / Like

Walt Disney World renaming Disney-MGM Studios

By Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
    2:51 PM EDT, August 9, 2007

So-long, Disney-MGM Studios. In a widely anticipated move, Walt Disney World is renaming its movies-oriented theme park, dropping the disputed "MGM" name from the brand. But unlike much of what has been anticipated in Disney-gossip circles, the new name will contain neither Pixar nor ABC.

Disney's Hollywood Studios will debut in January, Disney World officials announced today.

"The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer -- in music, television, movies and theater," Disney World President Meg Crofton stated in a news release.
    Disney-MGM studios opened on May 1, 1989, and the original lineup of attractions was weighed heavily toward images and themes drawn from Hollywood's "golden age" of the 1920s-'40s. Since then, however, shows, rides and other attractions have drawn much from Disney's television shows and more modern movies.

The name MGM was originally adopted for the park through a 1985 licensing agreement with MGM movies company that had its origins as Metro Goldwyn Mayer. However, in the 1990s the two corporations sparred in court several times over Disney's use of the name. In 1992 Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Curtis B. Rappe ruled that Disney retained rights to the name for Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, but that MGM had rights to the name in most other uses, including a theme park MGM wanted to build in Las Vegas.

Almost ever since, speculation has centered on whether Disney would drop MGM from its name. Officials had long denied that the theme park would be renamed either as Disney-ABC Studios, in honor of the broadcast network owned by the Walt Disney Co., or as Disney-Pixar Studios, in honor of the computer animation movie company that Disney bought last year.

Crofton said the new name, "Disney's Hollywood Studios," reflects the park's present and future.

"As a park all about entertainment, Disney's Hollywood Studios will deliver like never before," she stated in the release. "Now we can say that Hollywood is literally our middle name."
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Which, I beg to differ Scar, is a MUCH better name that Disney's Hollywood Studios. That makes no sense.
    Yea well, you think "Eagles" sounds better than "Giants".
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I like the new name they are giving to the park.
    * stayed at more then once
    Yacht Club, POR, POFQ,CSR,All Star Sports*,
    CBR,Pop Century*,CR,WL,FortWilderness* Animal Kingdom lodge,All Star Music*.

Post Thanks / Like

Default eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Yea well, you think "Eagles" sounds better than "Giants".
    eagles do sound better as we will see this year !!!
    1994 french quarter-port orleans
    2002 all star movies
    2003 all star movies
    2004 wilderness lodge
    2005 french quarter/disney wonder
    2007 polynesian ( cancelled )
    2008 wilderness lodge
    2010 polynesian
    2012 disney dream

Post Thanks / Like

FINALLY! Now we can put all of the rumors to rest once and for all.

Personally, I like it.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

"DHS"

This will be the first Disney park to offically change the name of one of their parks if I remember right. It's going to take me awhile before I will stop calling it "MGM Studios".
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

New Attractions, Experiences at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    Aug. 9, 2007

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- In the Walt Disney World theme park famous for all things Hollywood, it's curtain up on the launch of new attractions, new looks, new breakthrough experiences...

...and a brand-new name.

Disney-MGM Studios will be renamed Disney's Hollywood Studios, effective January 2008, announced Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

"The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer -- in music, television, movies and theater," she said.

Framed by the park's supporting cast of classic Hollywood architecture are shows and attractions straight from contemporary Hollywood, such as Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, "Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show" and many more. Disney's Hollywood Studios is also the place to meet favorite character stars of today including Lightning McQueen and Mater from Disney-Pixar's "Cars," Power Rangers and Little Einsteins.

With exciting coming attractions and experiences, the best and brightest of Hollywood is about to emerge for park guests, Crofton said.

"As Disney continues to grow and invest in our family entertainment business, we constantly explore new ways to deliver high-quality, immersive experiences for our guests," she added. "As a park all about entertainment, Disney's Hollywood Studios will deliver like never before. Now we can say that Hollywood is literally our middle name."

New Attractions, Experiences
    • Toy Story Mania! Guests get sporty in a new, interactive "Toy Story" competition inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Toy Story" films and hosted by characters like they've never before experienced. Past a queuing area featuring a giant Mr. Potato Head, guests grab 3-D glasses, board fanciful ride vehicles and zip into a world of exciting midway-style games hosted by many of their favorite "Toy Story" characters including Woody, Hamm and Rex. Once inside "Andy's Toy Box," the competition heats up. Who can rack up the most points? Using spring-action shooters, guests launch darts at balloons, rings at aliens, eggs at whimsical barnyard targets. Toy Story Mania! takes the interactive ride-game experience to infinity -- and beyond. (summer 2008)
    • "Block Party Bash." Play, party and dance as the Disney-Pixar Film Pals present "Block Party Bash," the wildest, most interactive parade in Disney history. New to Disney's Hollywood Studios, "Block Party Bash" will invite guests to rock to retro tunes, be dazzled by high-flying acrobatics and join in the fun as more than 20 partying Disney-Pixar Film Pals fill the theme park streets. This immersive rolling spectacle will feature favorite characters from "The Incredibles," "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "A Bug's Life." (spring 2008, replaces "Disney Stars and Motor Cars" parade)
    • "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" A whole new cast of friends from Playhouse Disney fills the popular Playhouse Disney stage. Children will be on their feet singing, clapping and dancing to performing stars from "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse," "Little Einsteins," "Handy Manny" and more. ("Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" will be dark most of January 2008, reopens February 2008)
    • "Disney High School Musical 2: School's Out!" With new songs and a rollicking new spirit, the Disney Channel Original Movie "High School Musical 2" comes to life on the streets of Disney's Hollywood Studios. It is interactive fun as high-energy performers on a traveling stage invite all ages to catch Wildcat fever by singing and dancing. (fall 2007, replaces "High School Musical Pep Rally")
    • Meet and Greet Adds Handy Manny. And what would a Disney theme park be without characters? Disney's Hollywood Studios is center stage for character meet and greets. Disney Channel stars JoJo and Goliath and the Little Einsteins welcome guests in the Animation Courtyard next to "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" and will be joined for the first time by Handy Manny later this year. (November 2007)
    Part of the Disney's Hollywood Studios magic includes events for which the park is famous. To a stellar lineup including ABC Super Soap Weekend, the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, ESPN the Weekend and Star Wars Weekends, the park reprises the Playhouse Disney in Concert series with dynamic concerts and special entertainment for little ones.

Headliners include favorite children's acts The Doodlebops, Imagination Movers, Dan Zanes and Friends, and Johnny and the Sprites. The fun happens on select dates Aug. 30-Oct. 28, 2007, during Little Ones Travel Time in a 10,000 square foot, air-conditioned performance venue. For the complete show schedule: disneyworld.com/pdic.

In addition, holidays at Disney's Hollywood Studios will have a special sparkle this year as the park hosts the Harlem Gospel Choir Nov. 30-Dec. 25, 2007.

"This is easily one of the most ambitious attractions rollouts in the 18-year history of the park," Crofton said. "With so many great coming attractions, we are thrilled to be launching a Studios year unlike any other. Wrapped in a brand-new name...Disney's Hollywood Studios."
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad I will always call it MGM.

Just like I still call it EPCOT Center...

Hmm.. sounds like a shirt idea...
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it will take some time to callit by its new name, but it sure sounds like a move in the right direction. As for those that do not like the hat - it does come from a pretty good little film. I love the hat just not like where it is located.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    New Attractions, Experiences
    • Toy Story Mania! Guests get sporty in a new, interactive "Toy Story" competition inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Toy Story" films and hosted by characters like they've never before experienced. Past a queuing area featuring a giant Mr. Potato Head, guests grab 3-D glasses, board fanciful ride vehicles and zip into a world of exciting midway-style games hosted by many of their favorite "Toy Story" characters including Woody, Hamm and Rex. Once inside "Andy's Toy Box," the competition heats up. Who can rack up the most points? Using spring-action shooters, guests launch darts at balloons, rings at aliens, eggs at whimsical barnyard targets. Toy Story Mania! takes the interactive ride-game experience to infinity -- and beyond. (summer 2008)
    • "Block Party Bash." Play, party and dance as the Disney-Pixar Film Pals present "Block Party Bash," the wildest, most interactive parade in Disney history. New to Disney's Hollywood Studios, "Block Party Bash" will invite guests to rock to retro tunes, be dazzled by high-flying acrobatics and join in the fun as more than 20 partying Disney-Pixar Film Pals fill the theme park streets. This immersive rolling spectacle will feature favorite characters from "The Incredibles," "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "A Bug's Life." (spring 2008, replaces "Disney Stars and Motor Cars" parade)
    • "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" A whole new cast of friends from Playhouse Disney fills the popular Playhouse Disney stage. Children will be on their feet singing, clapping and dancing to performing stars from "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse," "Little Einsteins," "Handy Manny" and more. ("Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" will be dark most of January 2008, reopens February 2008)
    • "Disney High School Musical 2: School's Out!" With new songs and a rollicking new spirit, the Disney Channel Original Movie "High School Musical 2" comes to life on the streets of Disney's Hollywood Studios. It is interactive fun as high-energy performers on a traveling stage invite all ages to catch Wildcat fever by singing and dancing. (fall 2007, replaces "High School Musical Pep Rally")
    • Meet and Greet Adds Handy Manny. And what would a Disney theme park be without characters? Disney's Hollywood Studios is center stage for character meet and greets. Disney Channel stars JoJo and Goliath and the Little Einsteins welcome guests in the Animation Courtyard next to "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" and will be joined for the first time by Handy Manny later this year. (November 2007)
    Well first off, give me a second to remove my foot from my mouth ...

Now that that's over with ... not a big fan of the new name. I think it's dull and uninspired.

Also, how lame a list of "new attractions" is that? TS Mania is the only one on the list that's actually an attraction. The rest are basically nothing changes they're making. I hate when they put together bogus lists like that to try and make it look like they're actually adding stuff to a park when they aren't.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Do I remember correctly - isn't the "Studios" section of California Adventure called "Hollywood" too? That shows that they are being consistent! (Except, of course, in DLP, it's just called "The Disney Studios.)

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by lindique
    Do I remember correctly - isn't the "Studios" section of California Adventure called "Hollywood" too? That shows that they are being consistent!
    Yep, Hollywood Picutres Backlot

Quote Originally Posted by lindique
    (Except, of course, in DLP, it's just called "The Disney Studios.)
    Actually, its The Walt Disney Studios
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a pretty cool name... I do like Disney's Hollywood Studios better than Disney-Pixar Studios.

Post Thanks / Like

"Block Party Bash." Play, party and dance as the Disney-Pixar Film Pals present "Block Party Bash," the wildest, most interactive parade in Disney history. New to Disney's Hollywood Studios, "Block Party Bash" will invite guests to rock to retro tunes, be dazzled by high-flying acrobatics and join in the fun as more than 20 partying Disney-Pixar Film Pals fill the theme park streets. This immersive rolling spectacle will feature favorite characters from "The Incredibles," "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "A Bug's Life." (spring 2008, replaces "Disney Stars and Motor Cars" parade)
    Yeehaw! I'm so glad to see this come to 'Hollywood Studios'. I love this parade at California Adventure. You can't help but bop along to the beat and get involved. It's infectious!

And the new name will grow on me, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Also, how lame a list of "new attractions" is that? TS Mania is the only one on the list that's actually an attraction. The rest are basically nothing changes they're making. I hate when they put together bogus lists like that to try and make it look like they're actually adding stuff to a park when they aren't.
    I couldn't agree more! When I saw that list of "new attractions" I thought this must be a joke. I'm still hoping Toy Story Mania will wow me but I think it sounds awful similar to Buzz.

I really do like the new name but will have to get out of the habit of calling it MGM.

Anybody know if they will have to make changes to The Great Movie Ride since so many of those are MGM movies?
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

not much of a new attraction thing.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2