Quantcast Anyone have experience with Kidney stones?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone have experience with Kidney stones?

Mike is going through his 2nd bout with kidney stones - the first time was 10 years ago, 2 months before we got married. At that time, he ignored the pain in his back (thinking it was muscle strain) until it was a full blown attack (vomiting, traces of blood, etc...). He immediately had same day surgery to have a stent put in, then had the ESWL (shock waves) treatment to break the stone up.

This time, when Mike started with the back pain on Wednesday night, we both had an idea of what it was (due to the location of the pain). The pain was really bad Thursday night so I took him to the ER and they did a cat scan and said that he did have a 3 mm stone and that it was actually 2/3's of the way out.

He went to the urologist on Friday and he said the stone was big, but that he had a "greater than 50% chance of passing it on his own", but that if he didn't pass it by today, he'd have to come back in and see what the next step would be. Poor Mike has done nothing but drink water and gatorade all weekend, and he's been unable to sleep due to the pain (it's worse when he tries to lie down).

So, he called them today and was told that he needed same day surgery tomorrow to put a stent in, but he had to come into the office to see the dr today. So, when he got there, Mike told him that he actually hasn't had any pain since last night (and he slept fine last night). The Dr said that Mike may have passed the stone without knowing it - he said it's rare, but it does happen. So, they canceled surgery for tomorrow and scheduled him for a cat scan for Thursday to see if it's still there.

So, my question is, has anyone ever heard of someone passing a stone without knowing it? It would be wonderful if that's the case, but it almost seems too good to be true! From the stories I hear, if he has indeed passed it, he's a lucky guy!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Kind of.

My step dad had a similiar issue last month or so. (was off work for 3 weeks with it).

What happened according to his Dr. is the stone "wandered" out of the area and will now be floating around where it does no harm (or cause pain).

Apparently this does happen but just not often. They'll keep monitoring via cat scan to see if it "wanders" back.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

When I've had kidney stones, if I remember correctly, there is a lot of pain while the stone is in the -tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder- but when it goes into the bladder, the pain is relieved.

Good luck! That pain is some of the worst pain I've ever had.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

My husband had 2 kidney stones about 2 months ago. He went to the ER from work with severe pain and they did the cat scan and said that they were 2 mm and that he'd pass them eventually. So, I brought him home and about 3 hours later he passed them. He didn't even know that he had, except for when he saw them. We thought this was great and that the pain would go away. It did for awhile. However, a few hours later it came back and worse than ever, so I took him back to the ER and they just gave him some pain medicine and sent us home, but he had to see the urologist the next day. He was still in alot of pain. The urologist told him that the pain comes after you pass the stone because the stone is like a piece of glass cutting the "tube" on it's way out. So, he was in pain for almost a week with these spasms. Thankfully, he hasn't had any problems since!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!!

Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge (twice)
    Contemporary
    Yacht Club
    Polynesian
    Dixie Landings
    Coronodo Springs
    Pop Century (honeymoon!!)
    Up next CBR June 3-12!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine a man passing a large kidney stone without noticing. My father passed one, and had to have reconstructive surgery! It may have just moved around to a more comfortable spot??

If/when it is passed or removed or blasted, be sure they test the make-up of it.

They were able to find out that substances/chemicals in tea and carrots were what caused my father to build his.

He hasn't had trouble in over 20 years!

Good luck to him!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    I can't imagine a man passing a large kidney stone without noticing.
    Well, that was our first thought too! The only reason that we think it might be a possibility was because the cat scan showed it was almost out already, and for the most part, this was before Mike had any pain... But, we'll know Thursday for sure.

If/when it is passed or removed or blasted, be sure they test the make-up of it.
    Yep, they will definitely test it - last time it was calcium, I believe.
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conorsmom2000 View Post
    Well, that was our first thought too! The only reason that we think it might be a possibility was because the cat scan showed it was almost out already, and for the most part, this was before Mike had any pain... But, we'll know Thursday for sure.
    That's amazing! If he has passed it without notice, he is VERY lucky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by conorsmom2000 View Post
    Yep, they will definitely test it - last time it was calcium, I believe.
    Okay, my dad has easily avoided tea and carrots that build his stones, but how can Mike avoid calcium?? Bless his heart!

I will add him to my prayer list...give him my best!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, my dad has easily avoided tea and carrots that build his stones, but how can Mike avoid calcium?? Bless his heart!
    Actually, he's really only kept dairy to a minimum and that worked for 10 years - the funny thing is that we just read an article that said a study showed that it's not calcium in food that causes kidney stones - that kind of calcium can actually prevent them. It said that it's calcium in pill form that is believed to cause them (at least for the people prone to them, I guess) - and, Mike does take a fair amount of tums with calcium, and for the past three or four months, we've all been really good about taking our vitamins, every day! And don't you know, 4 months of this and boom, Mike gets a kidney stone. He does plan to talk to his doctor about this and whether he believes it to be true or not.

Thanks Christine!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Jen, ooooooh, owwwww! I've never had one, but I hear it's worse than childbirth.

Let's hope this will be the end of it !
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Having experienced both childbirth and kidney stones, the rumors are correct. Kidney Stones are worse. The two times in my life I tried to take calcium supplements, I got stones. I have not given up dairy, just supplemental pills and I have had no problem since.

When I passed a stone, that was the first knowledge I had that one was there. It was miserably painful, but that was not the worst of it. I spent days in the hospital from the infection left from the damage the stone did on the way out.
    Lori (aka Pongo)

Post Thanks / Like

I just got through a month long bout with stones and actually passed a 4mm stone without realizing it. It wasn't until surgery that the doctor realized it had passed and he removed the remaining stones. Flomax is a pretty common prescription that I'm told can help make passing one a little easier--if that can even be said of most stones.

Kidney stones are absolutely no fun and my thoughts and prayers to all who suffer from them.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard sometimes they are crushed by the ureter. My dad and g/m both had kidney stones and I remember them using a filter to catch any particles. My dad seems to remember hearing the stone hit the porcelain
    The dr. suspected that my dd had one b/c of the blood and particles in her urine last year but nothing big I'm sure.
    I know my grandmother's was strictly related to the medications she was on. Hope they find the source so it doesn't happen again.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, just hopefully it was passed. I have had problems in the past. 3 to be exact. Childbirth is a piece of cake compared to kidney stone pain and I do have a high tolerence for pain! It's a pain that cannot even be described. The first one I had I woke up early one morning and as soon as I opened my eyes I thought I was going to die. I had my son with me, I think he was 2 at the time. I managed to call my husband at work and took a shower, I just knew I was going to the hospital for whatever this was. My husband still teases me about that. While waiting for him to come home I passed out from the pain. That to me was so scary, my son was by himself and really scared. Luckily my husband does not work far from home! The other 2 I knew what they were and yes I made sure I took a shower before heading to the hospital. They say it's worse for men to pass a stone. I wish him all the best and will be praying he did pass it without knowing and that no more are there! Good luck!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: