Quantcast Southwest ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Southwest ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southwest ?

Our party consists of 4 adults and 5 children. We usually fly Spirit out of Atlantic City to Orlando. Usually, even with all the crazy fees Spirit is the cheapest choice. This year although still cheaper Spirit's departure times don't work great with our schedule. So, we are looking at Southwest. My concern is the seating. Our children are older (9-16) but inexperienced fliers and don't want them separated from the adults. Will this be a problem on Southwest? I am reading that you don't pick your seats they are assigned. Thanks for the help!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You do get to pick your seats on Southwest. You are assigned a boarding number when you check-in on line (24 hours ahead of your flight, or you can purchase early boarding checkin for $10 person).

Once you're on the plane, you can take any open seat. You might not get all seats together, but it shouldn't be a problem to have small adult/kids groups together.

Someone with a lot more Southwest experience will be along shortly, but don't worry that you'll all be separated, it is a rare occurance.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We almost always fly southwest out of New Orleans when we fly. They have this thing called early bird where you pay a fee (12.50 each way last I checked) and you supposedly get a higher boarding number. Pretty much you pick your seat, but obviously the lower the number the better Hope you enjoy your flight, we have always enjoyed SW
    I am addicted!
    9-08 Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon)
    1-09 All-Star Sports
    12-09 Pop Century
    5-10 Pop Century
    3-11 All-Star Sports
    7-11 Wilderness Lodge
    3-12 Port Orleans Riverside
    5-12 Pop Century
    12-12 Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member since 2012!

Post Thanks / Like

Southwest has a little different type of seating arrangement. As the PP said, you are assigned a boarding number when you check in online (or at the airport, although this is HIGHLY discouraged!)

Southwest boards in groups (A, B, C) based upon:
    1) Business Select
    2) "A-List" (frequent fliers)
    3) Early Bird
    4) 24-hour Check In

The "A" and "B" groups are 60 passengers each and the "C" group fills out the plane.

For an extra $10 per ticket, you can get an "Early Bird" seating assignment. What this does is start assigning boarding positions based on how many Business Select and "A-List" passengers (priority seating) have bought tickets for the flight. Once those passengers have been assigned their boarding positions, the Early Bird passengers are assigned their boarding positions base on when the paid for the Early Bird option. (Yes, the Early Bird option can be added after the original purchase of the ticket. Strange, but true. I know because I did it once. Long story that I won't get into here! LOL) The Business Select, "A-List" and Early Bird boarding positions are assigned 36 hours prior to the flight, so you are guaranteed boarding positions earlier than those who did not purchase the option, as they can only check in and get their assigned boarding position 24 hours prior to the flight.

The big thing would be to make sure you get in the "A" boarding group. That would pretty much assure you of seats together. If you have concerns about sitting together, I would suggest buying the Early Bird option when you first purchase your tickets.

Hope this wasn't TOO confusing!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Do they still allow people with kids to preboard?
    Oct.99 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Sept.00 - CS
    Dec.02 - POFQ
    Apr.05 - AKL
    Oct.05 - POR
    Nov.07 - WL
    Oct.09 - CBR moved to POR(10 yr Anniversary)
    Nov 2013 AKV Kadani, 1st DVC Stay!
    Oct 2014 VWL (15 Yr Anniversary)
    Dec 2016 AKV Kadani
    Oct 2017 AKV Kadani Savanna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ltmoko View Post
    Do they still allow people with kids to preboard?
    People with younger children board between the "A" and "B" groups. This is because of all the Business Select, "A List" and Early Bird boarders.

It is often better to pay for Early Bird or just make sure you check in at the 24 hour mark to get in the "A" boarding group.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure that you check in right at the 24 hour prior departure time; if you wait even a minute, it could mean a number 10-20 higher than you could have received.

You'll be given an option to print your boarding pass after checking in online, but don't worry if you aren't connected to a printer at the moment, you can "reprint" your boarding pass at the airport. Just make sure to check in exactly at the 24 hour mark and have your confirmation number ready.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

I always purchase the early bird option when flying with the kids. It's now $12.50 a person, but for us it's worth it. I've never had a problem finding seats together when I've bought the early bird.

Southwest is a great airline, have a great trip!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

You can check in from the southwest app on your smartphone as well, which is what I will be doing since I'll be at work when my 24 hour prior time hits.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Share This Thread On Social Media: