Quantcast WDW Vet becomes a DLR First-Timer - suggestions?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Vet becomes a DLR First-Timer - suggestions?

Ok, so I am headed to southern California the week of July 6th, tagging along with my boyfriend on his work trip. We will be staying in Long Beach and I am planning on 2 day trips to DLR!! So exciting! I've never been to CA Disney parks but I have done 8 or 9 trips to WDW so I am looking for some advice. I've read a lot of the threads in the Disneyland forums and everything's been pretty helpful so far! I just have a couple questions about logistics and food and planning.

Transportation from Long Beach - so Long Beach is a hop, skip and jump from Anaheim. We will have a car to use, however, my boyfriend will need to use it to get to his work project site in the morning but he can pick me up from the parks in the evenings. I researched a little and saw there are buses that go from Long Beach to Disneyland, however it doesn't look like the routes are very convenient and it would involve changing buses and walking a few blocks from stop to stop. I want to get there before park opening, so I am wondering if calling for a shuttle or taking a cab would be better? I don't know where we will be staying in Long Beach (likely a Hilton property) so maybe they can help as well or have their own shuttle?

Tickets- I am going to have 2 day tickets and would like to get as much time in the parks out of them as possible. I think I already know what the answer to this question would be (and that's NO) but I wanted to ask since DLR is different and more of a 'locals' place - are there evening admission tickets my boyfriend could use so he could join me in the park one day after he's done working? I'd love to have him with me in the evening for fireworks in Disneyland, especially since I'll be there on my birthday. Other theme parks will do a "twilight ticket" where after 7pm or something you can buy a discounted ticket since there's only a few operating hours left in the day. Again, I know it's unlikely but wanted to ask. Unfortunately we won't be there for a conference, which I know typically offers discounted Disney tickets for convention attendees.

Dining - I plan on doing counter service in California Adventure since I have no real schedule for that day other than going to Carsland first thing. There weren't table service choices that really stood out to me on the Disneyland website, either. On my birthday I have a reservation for my boyfriend and me to have dinner at Steakhouse 55 in Downtown Disney, but I am looking for a lunch table service suggestion. Right now I have a reservation at Cafe Orleans because I like the menu options and the price range. Blue Bayou's prices made me click out of that menu really quickly! I will be by myself for lunch and none of the character meal options were available for lunch. Should I make a switch to somewhere else?

Touring Plans - since it's just me and I know that a lot of attractions have single rider lines I'm not too worried about being able to experience what I want in each park. I'm so happy the "old school" FastPass system will still be in place when I go (FYI, I read they are testing a version of FP+ at DLR in August). Which attractions, other than Radiator Springs Racers, must I get a FP for? I don't think I will be sticking around for World of Color. Which attractions should be a Must Do for an experienced WDW traveler? What could be skipped or is not worth waiting in a long queue for? Keep in mind I am totally fine with a 45 minute wait for something like Splash Mountain.

Thanks, everyone! I am sure I'll have more questions later as it gets closer
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I am going to take a shot here:

Transportation: Okay, this one is tricky. Traffic in the mornings and evenings is crazy. Expect it to take an hour+ to travel between LB and Disneyland, especially in the evening when your boyfriend heads there to meet you/pick you up. The hotel likely won't offer any options. Long Beach is actually quite a ways from DL. A cab would be your best option, but it will be pricey. You could probably rent a second car for you to use for 2 days for less than the cost of 2 cab rides. Look into that option.

No twilight tickets at DL. Full price up until 10 min prior to closing. And yes, they will sell you a ticket that close to closing.

Here are my favorite CS dining options (taking your nice dinner into considerations):
    At DL: Jolly Holiday Bakery, Rancho Del Zocalo, French Market, Pizza Port, Bengal BBQ
    At DCA: Taste Pilot's, Rancho Cucamonga, Pacific Wharf Bakery
    Disneyland Hotel: Tangaroa Terrace
    Grand Californian: White Water Snacks
    Downtown Disney: Tortilla Jo's Taqueria

Don't discount the hotels for CS. The one at DLH is amazing! And you can take the monorail between the hotel and Tomorrowland at DL.

FYI, Steakhouse 55 is at the DL Hotel.

For lunch TS, Cafe Orleans is good. As is Carnation Cafe. I also I highly recommend Uva Bar and Naples at Downtown Disney. If you are after Cajun/Creole, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney is heads and shoulders above Cafe Orleans. You are not missing anything by not eating at Blue Bayou. Enjoy that atmosphere when you ride Pirates.

FP: Well, most headliners have single rider as well. These rides have it: Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin, Toy Story Midway Mania, California Screaming, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain

Get FP for Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Tower of Terror. That's kind of it. Get others as you see fit, but plan on using single rider as much as possible.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Nikki, DLR has such great counter service! I immediately thought of Flo's V8 Cafe in Carsland. Besides the atmosphere being totally immersive and so darn cute, they've got decent food. The breakfast is typical theme park fare (oh wait, the WDW theme parks don't offer breakfast ), but the lunch we had there was yummy. Good sandwiches, ribs, etc. Comfort food!

Another favorite in our group is Hungry Bear. The seating there overlooking Rivers of America is quiet and peaceful. Just go get a snack of onion rings if nothing else. I also adore the Jolly Holiday. The Jolly Holiday combo - grilled cheese and tomato basil soup - is probably my favorite counter service meal anywhere. Yuuuuum.

TS - we like Carnation Cafe, and definitely Steakhouse 55. Steakhouse 55 has an incredible breakfast.

Excited for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie's suggestion of getting a second car is an excellent one. Alternatively, don't stay in Long Beach, but instead stay in Anaheim and make DBF drive to LB, since he needs the car. There are any number of Hilton properties along Harbor and Katella Blvds (including the Anaheim Hilton) all of which are on the Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) routes. It's only $3-5/day roundtrip to DLR on ART.

As for things not to miss: Radiator Springs Racers, obviously, but also don't forget Indiana Jones, Matterhorn and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride since they don't have counterparts in WDW. PotC and IASW are must dos as well, since they are different (and much better) at Disneyland. I'd suggest getting a FP for Indy: the line can get very long and your dates are during prime summer season. If you're at all interested, try to see the Aladdin musical.

Enjoy!

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't reply on attractions, but if you want my input, here goes.

If you have time, everything! If you don't, skip TSMM, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Soarin' at DCA, Toontown (at least walk around it though), Jungle Cruise at DL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Natalie's suggestion of getting a second car is an excellent one. Alternatively, don't stay in Long Beach, but instead stay in Anaheim and make DBF drive to LB, since he needs the car. There are any number of Hilton properties along Harbor and Katella Blvds (including the Anaheim Hilton) all of which are on the Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) routes. It's only $3-5/day roundtrip to DLR on ART.

Enjoy!

Steve
    I didn't think of doing it the other way around, Steve. We haven't booked anything yet so I will talk to him about it when he gets home from his current trip. Maybe we can compromise and find a hotel that is halfway so I can be a little closer. I've also thought about booking one night at a good neighbor hotel just so I won't have to go back and forth both days....
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I didn't think of doing it the other way around, Steve. We haven't booked anything yet so I will talk to him about it when he gets home from his current trip. Maybe we can compromise and find a hotel that is halfway so I can be a little closer. I've also thought about booking one night at a good neighbor hotel just so I won't have to go back and forth both days....
    Both of these are good ideas!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Nikki, DLR has such great counter service! I immediately thought of Flo's V8 Cafe in Carsland. Besides the atmosphere being totally immersive and so darn cute, they've got decent food. The breakfast is typical theme park fare (oh wait, the WDW theme parks don't offer breakfast ), but the lunch we had there was yummy. Good sandwiches, ribs, etc. Comfort food! !
    Agree with this! Flo's has great food!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Natalie's suggestion of getting a second car is an excellent one. Alternatively, don't stay in Long Beach, but instead stay in Anaheim and make DBF drive to LB, since he needs the car.
    That was my first thought also.

Glad to hear that you are going to eat at Steakhouse 55, it is a very special place. I also love many of the same counter-service restaurants that have been mentioned here, but will add that my favorite is Pizza Port in Tomorrowland, mainly because they have my favorite dish, chicken fusilli, a creamy chicken pasta dish.

Make sure and make use of the single-rider lines mentioned earlier, especially for Radiator Springs. Hopefully you will able to get at least a couple of rides in on that.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I talked with DBF and I think we have the logistics all figured out! We are going to stay in Long Beach and I am booking 2 nights at a good neighbor hotel for my days at DLR. We land at LAX Sunday afternoon, get the car and drive to Long Beach. He's going to drop me off in Anaheim Monday night, not sure which hotel yet. I will hit CA at opening Tuesday, hop to DLR Tuesday night to see Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever. Then Wednesday morning get to Disneyland at opening and stay until dinner at Steakhouse 55 with DBF (I have a reservation for 7:45, that hopefully will give him enough time to get from LB to Disneyland Hotel) and then drive with him back to Long Beach and hang out Thursday and Friday, we take a red eye back to the east coast Friday night. I think it's going to work out quite well

Thankfully this quick trip will also serve a double purpose as recon for when we go back with kids in tow next spring for Kid #2's 9th birthday trip. You are all coming up with so many awesome food suggestions I won't be able to hit up all of them this time around! Tuesday I will do CS all day, probably breakfast & lunch in CA and dinner in DL. Wednesday is pretty much all set. Maybe I can convince DBF to stay for dinner Monday night and go to Napoli (is that what it's called?) in DTD.

Oh I am so excited!!!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Naples is the name of the restaurant. It's VERY similar to Via Napoli in Epcot. Same pizza, slightly different toppings/types.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I talked with DBF and I think we have the logistics all figured out!!
    Good compromise! You staying in Anaheim will certainly reduce your stress level and make the experience much more enjoyable.

Enjoy!

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

My plan is coming together, you guys and today is 30 days to my trip!!!

I am booked Monday & Tuesday nights at the Best Western Plus Raffles, which is closer to the convention center than Disneyland, but still less than a mile away down Harbor. I was close to booking the Motel 6 Anaheim because it was a tad cheaper but it had pretty much ZERO amenities- not even a hair dryer in the room. So for the extra $20 a night it's worth it for a place to rest, blow dry my hair (yay dry heat- no frizz!), store some drinks in a fridge and get a free breakfast!

I changed my Wednesday dining a bit, I was able to find a breakfast at Plaza Inn on my birthday so I canceled my lunch at Cafe Orleans and will get counter service instead.

I have a small plan mapped out in my head for touring. Park hours were released and I will go to CA on Tuesday right at opening, hit Carsland, Paradise Pier, and Hollywoodland, see the first Aladdin show at 12:45. Grab some food when I feel hungry, and then maybe to Grizzly River Run if it's unbearably hot. Go back to my room for a small break (and dry off if need be) and then hop to Disneyland Tuesday evening. See Mickey and the Magical Map at 5:45, counter service dinner somewhere, explore a little around the park and take in a ride or two in Fantasyland before staking out a spot for Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever.

Wednesday get to Disneyland at 8 for opening, get the rest of Fantasyland done and then 9:10 breakfast at Plaza Inn. After that it's pretty open, I have a priority list of attractions to do here throughout the day - all the mountains, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Star Tours. Probably around 5 I'll head over to the Disneyland Hotel and relax in the lobby or grab a stool at the bar at Trader Sam's and wait for DBF to show up for our dinner at Steakhouse 55!

Random question- I doubt my hotel will have a bell services to store my duffel bag on Wednesday while I'm out. Would the lockers at Disneyland be large enough to store the smaller sized Vera Bradley duffel?
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer the locker question. Sorry, never rented one there.

Your plans are coming together - ahhhhh, so exciting!!!

One thing, IF you have time, make it a point to go to Carsland at night. It's a different town when all neoned out.

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland has some pretty huge lockers in the location outside the park, to the left of the entry gates (next to Guest Services). They are actually large enough to fit a 26" upright suitcase, I believe. There are four total sizes available in that area. I think the large lockers are $15 per day.

I am definitely going to try and meet up with you one of your days! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan.

I agree with Melanie to try and see Carsland at night. It is breathtaking!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Disneyland has some pretty huge lockers in the location outside the park, to the left of the entry gates (next to Guest Services). They are actually large enough to fit a 26" upright suitcase, I believe. There are four total sizes available in that area. I think the large lockers are $15 per day.

I am definitely going to try and meet up with you one of your days! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan.

I agree with Melanie to try and see Carsland at night. It is breathtaking!
    Perfect, yay! I will likely walk back through CA to see Carsland on Tuesday night after the fireworks. I love the parks are open so late and so early, these hours are awesome!
    ~Nikki~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: