Quantcast Walt Disney World resort Files Permits for Expansion to Disney's Wilderness Lodge

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Walt Disney World resort Files Permits for Expansion to Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Walt Disney Imagineering has filed a permit with the South Florida Water Management District to expand the Wilderness Lodge Resort:

Quote Originally Posted by South Florida Water Management District Permit

The project under consideration herein is the existing Wilderness Lodge at Walt Disney World, Florida. New construction will include a series of one story bungalows to the east and west of the Lodge. These buildings will front onto Bay Lake. Also included with the project are new restaurants and recreation buildings (also one story) together with new pools and upgrades to existing pools.
    The following diagram was included with the permit:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wowzers! Those are some fairly big changes ... interesting to see how WL changes.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Did they mention any proposed timeline / start date to this abomination?
    Are these DVC bungalow's or WL?
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

I truly think the powers that be have lost their minds with this.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

REALLY REALLY didn't they just finish upgrading the pool...like last December???? Why didn't they do it RIGHT the last time....sadly, I see expensive bungalows...two bedrooms with people sleeping in the living room..SIGH...we own current points and I was hoping the CM rumors were wrong. I hoped for converted resort rooms into GVs...
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    REALLY REALLY didn't they just finish upgrading the pool...like last December???? Why didn't they do it RIGHT the last time....sadly, I see expensive bungalows...two bedrooms with people sleeping in the living room..SIGH...we own current points and I was hoping the CM rumors were wrong. I hoped for converted resort rooms into GVs...
    It's evidentally the quiet pool that they're expanding and adding buildings to. Look at the size of the pool behind the villas on the diagram. There's a color coded closeup on DVCNews that DVCMike posted.

I was also hoping for the possibility of some GVs being added not this cabin style bungalow nonsense at 150+ points per night.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

So much resort expansion. Why not use that money,time, and imagineering to upgrade the parks at a quicker pace. I would have rather seen or also seen WL added to the monorail loop.
    2008 - Anniversary trip: Port Orleans Riverside
    2005 - Honeymoon trip: Port Orleans Riverside
    2015 - Kids 1st Visit: Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this decision is in lieu of adding a DVC resort and cabins to Fort Wilderness.

I don't quite understand the units that are West of the main lodge. It seems like those will be out on the water, but your view would be right into that small island.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it Disney executives are being really smart with this. They know there is a market for these kind of exclusive bungalows (after all the number of points required makes them exclusive) and having the view on the water is nice. While I don't see most people being able to afford these bungalows (myself included) there are enough around who can. Disney probably has enough grand villas for that market and now they have these bungalows, just another way to get those who can afford it to buy large amounts of points. Don't get me wrong I am not for or against them, just making an observation.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, I'm stymied. I just checked on availability for Poly bungalows at the seven-month mark, and there is wide availability for the second half of December. Executive perks maybe?
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I have to admit, I'm stymied. I just checked on availability for Poly bungalows at the seven-month mark, and there is wide availability for the second half of December. Executive perks maybe?
    Does that really surprise you? The points during that time of year are ridiculous. Even more so than normal ridiculousness. I think Disney really missed the mark on pricing these.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Does that really surprise you? The points during that time of year are ridiculous. Even more so than normal ridiculousness. I think Disney really missed the mark on pricing these.
    No, but that's why I can't believe they're building the ones at WL. Last I read, only 10 of the 20 Poly bungalows were declared into DVC inventory, and they're not filling those few units at seven months.

Is there some kind of crazy luxury market for these that they're going after? Celebrities? Hedge-fund managers?

And I just thought of a REALLY BIG PROBLEM with selling even more bungalow units at sky-high point levels. Maybe an owner will buy enough points to stay in a Poly bungalow for just one or two nights and then use the rest of their points to fill out the week at another DVC resort. Fair enough, for that stay.

But maybe next year he wants to use all of his points at a different resort. Suddenly those two nights in a Poly bungalow add up to 15 nights in a studio at the Beach Club.

Ew, I really don't like where this might be heading.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I agree with you. Most DVC owners I know (myself included) will book a 2 bedroom at VGF or VWL, which are larger units but cost half the points.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    No, but that's why I can't believe they're building the ones at WL. Last I read, only 10 of the 20 Poly bungalows were declared into DVC inventory, and they're not filling those few units at seven months.

Is there some kind of crazy luxury market for these that they're going after? Celebrities? Hedge-fund managers?
    Nope, those people will book at the Four Seasons . They get much more personalized service for their money at the Four Seasons than any of the Disney deluxe resorts.

I had a good view of the bungalows when I stayed at studio last month and they do not scream "luxury" to me. Yes, there is a plunge pool, but it is really small. People who have stayed in accommodations with plunge pools would not be impressed.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldsBFF View Post
    So much resort expansion. Why not use that money,time, and imagineering to upgrade the parks at a quicker pace. I would have rather seen or also seen WL added to the monorail loop.
    Because attractions don't make WDW money... DVC does...

Glad they didn't do the teepees out on the water like someone had one mentioned... That would have been really hideous...

Truth is, DVC is the only thing keeping resort occupancy up around 85-90% at the moment... If this annoys you, wait until they move to yet another resort, taking guest rooms offline and converting them to DVC too...

When will DVC hit the moderates??? Only a matter of time...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Resorts make the money. The more people Disney can get to lay their heads on Disney pillows means more profits for The Mouse. Would I prefer the money be spent on rides? Absolutely. However, I see the business side of this.

Post Thanks / Like

It is being reported that areas of Wilderness Lodge will be closing on October 26, 2015-

(Credit to wdwdmagic.com)

Disney has started to advise guests arriving in the fall that a number of leisure and recreation amenities will be unavailable from October 26 2015.

The main impact will be to the Hidden Springs leisure pool, the resort beach, the playground and the fire pit. During the closure of the leisure pool, the main feature pool will continue to be open as normal.

The nature trail, boat and bike rentals, and spa treatments will also be unavailable from October.

The project will see the addition of 26 waterside bungalows, similar to the recently opened Bora Bora Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, although the Wilderness Lodge units are not built over the water. Also part of the plan is an expanded pool area, a new restaurant and recreation areas.

The project is expected to extend through to the end of 2017, although Disney has not yet given any details or announced the DVC expansion project.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sigh

Just got notification from our TA of just that...the week we arrive.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Does everything start October 26th? We're staying at the Lodge the 13th-20th. The nature trail, boat and bike rentals, and spa treatments just give an open "october" according to the post.

Post Thanks / Like

Do they really need 26 of them? Seems like they destroy the beach and the view...
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    The project is expected to extend through to the end of 2017, although Disney has not yet given any details or announced the DVC expansion project.
    This is what makes me angry. Now hotel guests have been notified but owners have not been told anything. While what they are doing is similar to Poly it's not the same, there are existing owners here whose memberships and dues are going to be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Do they really need 26 of them? Seems like they destroy the beach and the view...
    Not to mention the fact that by ripping out all trees behind the villas seems to remove the "wilderness" theme.
    - Lynn -

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: