Quantcast New Life for Two Frequently Dormant Epcot Pavilions?-- Updated: 3/21/18

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Life for Two Frequently Dormant Epcot Pavilions?-- Updated: 3/21/18

3/21/18

More information has become public regarding the future of the Wonders of Life pavilion. A recent job posting for Walt Disney Imagineering indicates plans for a major redesign of the pavilions interior:
    Quote Originally Posted by jobs.disneycareers.com
    PH-Interior Designer - EC Wonders of Life

Job ID 502038BR
    Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States; Orlando, Florida, United States
    Business Disney Parks & Resorts
    Brand Walt Disney Imagineering

"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!

Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.

Works under the supervision of a more senior designer to develop the design intent of an interior environment. This could include all aspects of design from concept through working drawings as well as working knowledge of all Epcot, Florida & ADA Code issues. Depending on the size and scope of the project, an Interior Designer could take a lead position, working closely with the Creative Design team and Architecture to conceptualize and develop interior spaces.

Responsibilities

Provide support to the project team for design and implementation of assigned projects; support implementation of design intent as a member of the project design team.
    Develop varied Interior Design project work at all stages of assigned projects from concept, feasibility or schematic design through the preparation of construction documentation in accordance with established departmental and divisional quality standards.
    Ensure that the interior design intent is achieved by successfully integrating design with allied disciplines, such as architecture, lighting, graphics, structural engineering, and MEP.
    Interface with Operations, Merchandise and F&B teams for inclusion of their requirements into the design.
    Responsible for the design and production of a shop/restaurant or attraction under the direction of a Senior or Principal ID
    Supervise and give direction clearly to support interior design staff extensions and/or consultants.
    Capable of coordinating interior design efforts preparing Narrative Scope definitions, provide man-hour estimates to achieve Scope of Work and manage project budgets and schedules.
    Interior Designers serve as the link between park operations and the Design Team.
    Work closely with Architecture to create the optimum plan to accommodate seating or casework requirements.

Basic Qualifications

Minimum of 3 years’ experience at WDI or other Architectural/Interiors firms.
    Must have commercial design experience, primarily in Retail or Hospitality.
    General knowledge of the use of CADD/REVIT technology and illustration tools such as Creative Suite, Illustrator, and Photoshop having the ability to graphically represent the design concept to the team or client.
    Understanding of construction details, particularly casework detailing.
    While this posting does not give detail to the exact plans, it does indicate a major re-design of the pavilions interior.

3/6/18

The general manager of Epcot festivals has announced to local media a re-purposing of the Odyssey pavilion to a more year-round operation:

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Sentinel

Disney World: Epcot's Odyssey in remodeling mode

by Dewayne Bevil
    Orlando Sentinel
    March 6, 2018

A former Epcot restaurant is getting a makeover that will cement its role as a flexible-use space for the Walt Disney World theme park. Odyssey, the angular building sandwiched between the park’s Mexico pavilion and Test Track attraction, will have a wide array of ever-changing purposes as Epcot expands, says Dave Kesting, general manager of Epcot festivals.

“We’re going to be evolving Epcot pretty heavily. We’ve already started,” he says.

“We’ll look at all our open venues and see what priorities we need to have for the park. So it’s going to be flex space for whatever we need it to be,” Kesting says. “It could be a restaurant one day, it could be a merchandise shop the next day, it could be character greeting -- whatever we need to be.”

The Odyssey structure, which opened with the park in 1982, currently is undergoing a “light remodel,” Kesting says. The result will be a more permanent solution for temporary tenants. In recent months, the space has been used for demonstrations and exhibits during the Epcot International Festival of the Arts and a craft-beer stop for the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.

It’s dark during the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, currently running daily through May 28. But it’s not as dark as it used to be. The large black panels on its exterior have been subbed out with less opaque glass.

“Now people can see inside,” Kesting says. “So, like in the Festival of the Arts, ‘Hey, there’s an animators class going on. Hey, there are great displays and artists working and there’s programming in this place.’

“And the folks inside will see the beautiful park from the inside, instead of being in what we call a black box.”
    With this potential addition for future festival space, it is also of note that the Wonders of Life pavilion did not return as the Festival Center for the 2018 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival. It has not been announced what the future use for this space would be or why it is not operating during the festival, but the aforementioned comments could indicate a trend toward more year-round "flex-use" spaces.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2. Thanks Jeff thanked for this post
    Likes jennsky liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad they are using it for something! It was crazy to walk by it all empty, except for the bathrooms!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a rumor that the Wonders of Life Pavilion is going to be turned into the new space themed restaurant that announced recently.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

6. Thanks Figment! thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    I heard a rumor that the Wonders of Life Pavilion is going to be turned into the new space themed restaurant that announced recently.
    I've heard that.

Between that, the star wars resort, etc. I'm like, everyone comes to sunny Florida, to act like they are in the darkness of space...
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I've heard that.

Between that, the star wars resort, etc. I'm like, everyone comes to sunny Florida, to act like they are in the darkness of space...

Post Thanks / Like

Heard a new rumor today that the former WOL pavilion may be turned into an attraction dealing with Black Panther.

Just thought I would share, but I do not think it is true, too many legal issue to work out with the Marvel/Universal contract to get Black Panther into the East Coast parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard a new rumor today that the former WOL pavilion may be turned into an attraction dealing with Black Panther.

Just thought I would share, but I do not think it is true, too many legal issue to work out with the Marvel/Universal contract to get Black Panther into the East Coast parks.
    I disagree, Universal only owns certain characters. They are putting a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction where Ellen's Energy Adventure was.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

They should do that in the Outpost area of World Showcase. A 'new' country -- Wakanda!!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    They should do that in the Outpost area of World Showcase. A 'new' country -- Wakanda!!!!
    Why not, let's give up on the real world.

Norway is now Frozen/Arendelle and Mexico is going Coco. Make Japan into San Fransokyo, Morocco into Agrabah, China-Mulan, bulldoze England and only rebuild the rooftop portions (i.e. Mary Poppins).
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Why not, let's give up on the real world.

Norway is now Frozen/Arendelle and Mexico is going Coco. Make Japan into San Fransokyo, Morocco into Agrabah, China-Mulan, bulldoze England and only rebuild the rooftop portions (i.e. Mary Poppins).
    I think you're on to something here. No one would notice anyway, as they all have their faces buried in their smartphones. Real world? That's SO boring!
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

14. Likes texas211, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

So... is the reference to a favorite character from Cranium Command in the Basic Qualifications section of that job description intentional or not?

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Ack!! They used a dirty work in that description -- REVIT!!!! Anyone who has skills with native REVIT deserves a boatload of $$$$ You would have thought, after all the years Autodesk has had the package, they could have integrated it better (or at all, really,) with Inventor!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

I think we broke PopPhan
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

19. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we broke PopPhan
    That's kind of what I do...Programmatic drawings and models for sales and site contractors. My REVIT connection has been mainly creating Inventor models to be translated into REVIT. We have 2 people working directly in REVIT -- 1 using an application to output native REVIT and the other trying (keyword: TRYING) to programmatically create native REVIT models through the API.

Bent, maybe, but not quite broken!! LOL
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

21. Likes texas211 liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: