Quantcast Best Character Dining

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Character Dining

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum and planning our very first trip to Disneyland CA. We've been to Disneyland Resort in Paris and we had a lovely time. We would like to visit DL in CA in the off season: sept' 15 - sept' 19 2014.

I would like to know what the best restaurant is to meet characters, not kind of rushing, but really taking some time to chat with you and take pictures at your table. Is it possible to know which characters mostly visit which restaurant? Or is it totally random?
    We would stay at the Disneyland Hotel, so we thought about dining at Goofy's Kitchen, and definitely in Ariel's Grotto as well, I would love to meet my favourite princess, Sleeping Beauty.

Do you guys have some advice for us? When is the best time to go (the least busy moment)?
    Are there places in the park where you can meet some rare Disney characters (who you don't see often in the park?)

Thank you so much!
    Sept' 2009 - 3 days at Disneyland Resort Paris, FR
    15 years celebration
    Visited Paris as well
    Sept' 2013 - 4 days at Disneyland Resort Paris, FR
    20 years celebration
    Stayed at the amazing *Castle Club*
    Sept' 2014 - 5 days at Disneyland Resort Anaheim, CA
    First USA trip!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!

Goofy's Kitchen and the Plaza Inn (inside Disneyland) both have good character interaction with a variety of characters. The food at Goofy's is much better and a better selection than the Plaza Inn. Another character breakfast that we love is the Storytellers Cafe with Chip & Dale and his critter friends. They have a good buffet, but you can also order off of the menu.

Last year we ate at Ariels Grotto for lunch. The princesses did not visit long with us at all. The food was ok, not fantastic but not bad. It was also VERY expensive. Maybe they didn't visit long since my DD was 12. almost 13 at the time. If you are going just to see the princesses it should be ok... just prepare to pay the high price. It was over $80.00 for just the two of us.

As far as the best time to go. The time frame you are looking at is getting to be the start of the Halloween Time at Disneyland. Haunted Mansion may or may not be up. They do a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay on HM. Space Mountain may have the Ghost Galaxy overlay as well. Halloween Time has become very popular and so brings the crowds. More near the end of Sept than the middle.

For counter service restaurants, we love Whitewater Snacks in the Grand Californian Hotel, Jolly Holiday and the Plaza Inn in Disneyland. At DCA... hands down, we love Flo's V8 Cafe in Cars Land.

Have fun planning.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    Welcome to Intercot!

Goofy's Kitchen and the Plaza Inn (inside Disneyland) both have good character interaction with a variety of characters. The food at Goofy's is much better and a better selection than the Plaza Inn. Another character breakfast that we love is the Storytellers Cafe with Chip & Dale and his critter friends. They have a good buffet, but you can also order off of the menu.

Last year we ate at Ariels Grotto for lunch. The princesses did not visit long with us at all. The food was ok, not fantastic but not bad. It was also VERY expensive. Maybe they didn't visit long since my DD was 12. almost 13 at the time. If you are going just to see the princesses it should be ok... just prepare to pay the high price. It was over $80.00 for just the two of us.

As far as the best time to go. The time frame you are looking at is getting to be the start of the Halloween Time at Disneyland. Haunted Mansion may or may not be up. They do a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay on HM. Space Mountain may have the Ghost Galaxy overlay as well. Halloween Time has become very popular and so brings the crowds. More near the end of Sept than the middle.

For counter service restaurants, we love Whitewater Snacks in the Grand Californian Hotel, Jolly Holiday and the Plaza Inn in Disneyland. At DCA... hands down, we love Flo's V8 Cafe in Cars Land.

Have fun planning.
    Thank you very much for your advice!

We are planning to go from September 15 to September 19, 2014. I guess this is the start of the Halloween season
    Sept' 2009 - 3 days at Disneyland Resort Paris, FR
    15 years celebration
    Visited Paris as well
    Sept' 2013 - 4 days at Disneyland Resort Paris, FR
    20 years celebration
    Stayed at the amazing *Castle Club*
    Sept' 2014 - 5 days at Disneyland Resort Anaheim, CA
    First USA trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We had a good character meal over at Paradise Pier for breakfast. Pluto was a lot of fun, as was Stich. The food was good too.

As for Ariel's Grotto, the above poster has a different opinion than me. Yes, the princesses were quick...unless your kids talk to them and start conversations. My kids are very chatty so we got a lot of time. And I thought the Tri-Tip I had was excellent. My wife really liked the cioppino. And the desserts were really good. I'd go there again for sure.

I guess my main wish is that DisneyLand had more character meals in the middle of the day. I'm a small breakfast eater, so I hate spending tons of money on that meal. They really do need to add some character lunches and dinners.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

We have had really good experiences at most of them (have not been to Ariel's Grotto). We had a lot of character interaction at Mickey's surfside breakfast and Paradise Pier - they also had dancing with the characters at least every half hour or so.

We like Goofy's kitchen for dinner as that has become our one traditional meal that we always have. The dinner is a bit more expensive than the breakfasts but I can only pay a lot for breakfast so many times so think the cost for dinner at Goofy's is worth it.

But for convenience I don't think you can beat the Plaza Inn breakfast! And we've had great character interaction there as well - captain hook and other less common characters.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

We really liked Ariel's Grotto and Goofy's kitchen! The food at Ariel's Grotto was especially good!
    Ashley
    Art of Animation- Nov/Dec 2015
    Grand Floridan- September 2014
    Bay Lake Tower- June 2013
    Treehouse Villas- April 2012
    Grand Californian- August 2011
    Animal Kingdom Villas- December 2010
    Animal Kingdom Villas- May 2010
    Bay Lake Tower- December 2009
    All Star Movies- March 2009
    +6 more

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to be celebrating my friend's 50th birthday. Which character meal do you think would be best for him?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the proposed changes to the characters at Goofy's Kitchen has occurred? From what I've read they were discontinuing the "random" character appearances and keeping the same 4 or 5 standard characters. Is this true?

We are going to DL for the first time this summer and are BIG character fans. We loved the idea of the general randomness of the characters at Goofy;s Kitchen. But now, not so much.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC