Quantcast FastPass+ 60 Days (+10) unfair

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy FastPass+ 60 Days (+10) unfair

Hello,

We are headed to WDW with a party of 7 in 59 days. We are staying 10 nights, being split between the BWV and VWL (Boulder Ridge). Yesterday morning we got up at 4am to login to MDE to make our FP+ selections. 60 days out, almost to the minute with the East/West coast time difference. Slinky Dog was sold out until our 8th day. The mine train was sold out until 3pm on our 2nd day, and Flights of Passage sold out until 6pm on our 3rd day. Unreal. Tried to have a tour plan in place to make best use of our time, but had to throw it completely out the window since we had to settle for what was available. Gonna be crossing the parks and backtracking a couple times. I realize these are the most popular rides at WDW at the moment, but c'mon, man! We love to plan and thought it would be fun, but it ended up being BY FAR the most stressful and frustrating part of the process so far. Same feeling as camping out for concert tickets, being 3rd in line, and they sell out before you get to the window.

I guess the lesson is you must wait until towards the end of your trip to have a chance for certain FP+ attractions. Ran into the exact same issue making ADR's at the 180 day window with 'Ohana and Be Our Guest Dinner.
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience! It is true that there is often better availability towards the end of the trip, but I also find that FP+ availability isn't always the best first thing in the morning. Last two trips, I've taken what I could get early, and then fiddled over the next couple of days to get closer to the times I wanted.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

First off, FP+ options are not 'sold,' they are selected.

Second, if you want something, you have to be flexible and start looking for openings on you last day first and work backwards. Your 60th day is someone else's +10 day.

Third, I concur with you on the criss-crossing and backtracking. It IS frustrating, but when you have an hour 'window' for any FP+, it is difficult to book so far in advance and have a smooth passage around any of the parks.

Take a breath, book what you can, then try daily to adjust any of them for better times/dates/etc.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

5. Likes Fangorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just think if you had to do FP selections 30 days out! Or had a 3-day trip. Realistically, some people can't get the really popular fast passes. It may have been stressful, and you may have to make some adjustments, but you got them! Whew!
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

I despise fastpass +. It's a vacation, not a job.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

8. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Likes RunDMV, artyboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it can be stressful and initial selections are not always ideal. But, we have had a lot of success getting the FPs we want and sticking to our touring plan. We tweak things to avoid backtracking and make plans to enjoy another attraction while we wait for a FP to come up. So far, any stress that causes has been far outweighed by the knowledge that we'll get to do all the new rides and our old favorites. It can be a stressful process, but for us, it takes the stress of worrying about being able to get on a ride out of the trip itself.
    Susanne

10. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is frustrating for sure. We recently cancelled a trip because of the aggravation that ensued with trying to schedule the FP+'s and dining. Right now the parks are staying busy and I think it is due to all the new attractions opening. I just wonder what will happen when there aren't new attractions coming along steadily anymore because it is pretty evident that FP+ isn't liked near as much as Disney wants everyone to believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snow's Mom View Post
    Just think if you had to do FP selections 30 days out! Or had a 3-day trip. Realistically, some people can't get the really popular fast passes. It may have been stressful, and you may have to make some adjustments, but you got them! Whew!
    Amen to that. I have been staying offsite for years (just not willing to pay for a Disney resort when I can get a 3 bed, 3 bath Condo for less then the cost of one room at an one of the Value resorts). There are many new attractions that I have yet to ride. Keep looking though, I was able to snag some FPs for the new Frozen ride in Norway at the 30 day mark.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I despise fastpass +. It's a vacation, not a job.
    Yeah, but no system is great. We go back to the era before any fastpass and the entire vacation was spent in long twisting lines of 1hr or more. Then came the paper fastpass and the vacation then was running from machine to machine hoping you’d get a fastpass at all. You had no choice of time of the FP you put up with whatever time you got. And much of the time all FPs, even late day times were gone by mid morning. Oh yeah. Then there was the tour guide who jumped in line and took 60 FPs for their group and everything was gone. There were many trips when we could never get a paper FP for favourite rides. Now that really is frustrating

Sure FP+ requires some effort but now I go on the vacation and know I will get on the rides I want and that is far less stressful than not knowing. Since it came into play we have never missed an attraction we want. As a PP said, you just have to be flexible and keep searching. Having lived through the alternatives I’ll take FP+ over the others.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

14. Likes PopPhan, Isabella, BriarRose0708, RhodeHog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    It is frustrating for sure. We recently cancelled a trip because of the aggravation that ensued with trying to schedule the FP+'s and dining. Right now the parks are staying busy and I think it is due to all the new attractions opening. I just wonder what will happen when there aren't new attractions coming along steadily anymore because it is pretty evident that FP+ isn't liked near as much as Disney wants everyone to believe.
    I TOTALLY agree with your last sentence. And the ones who defend it, do so half-heartedly. They try to rationalize it rather than support it. It is a horrible system and I hate everything about it.

16. Likes artyboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Yeah, but no system is great. We go back to the era before any fastpass and the entire vacation was spent in long twisting lines of 1hr or more. Then came the paper fastpass and the vacation then was running from machine to machine hoping you’d get a fastpass at all. You had no choice of time of the FP you put up with whatever time you got. And much of the time all FPs, even late day times were gone by mid morning. Oh yeah. Then there was the tour guide who jumped in line and took 60 FPs for their group and everything was gone. There were many trips when we could never get a paper FP for favourite rides. Now that really is frustrating

Sure FP+ requires some effort but now I go on the vacation and know I will get on the rides I want and that is far less stressful than not knowing. Since it came into play we have never missed an attraction we want. As a PP said, you just have to be flexible and keep searching. Having lived through the alternatives I’ll take FP+ over the others.
    You describe a situation I have never encountered. FP was a good system. The only ride that was ever out of FPs for the day was TSM.

The old I-had-to-run-all-over-the-park-to-get-FPs line is my favorite. Disney could still have the FP+ system they have today but take away the 60 day requirement. No FP til you are in the park. But you have to understand, FP was not for the guest. It was for the bean counters.

It's a horrible system and I hate everything about it.

18. Likes artyboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    But you have to understand, FP was not for the guest. It was for the bean counters.
    I disagree somewhat with this. The original FP was sort of for the guest and sort of for the bean counters, as you can not spend money if you are physically standing in line (but if you are in a shop down the street from the attraction waiting for your FP time....). FP+ on the other hand I think is for park operations, it gives them data about how busy they can expect the parks to be and helps them tailor the CMs schedules accordingly.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, sorry for the frustration. I am a planner too, when it comes to vacations, but do not enjoy the degree of planning required for a Disney trip anymore. And it makes me sad to read through comments about people feeling lucky to just get on a favorite ride during their trip. No one should go to Disney World and pay oodles of money to do so and then feel like it was a privilege to see an attraction. There is something wrong there.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

21. Thanks RunDMV, artyboy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    I disagree somewhat with this. The original FP was sort of for the guest and sort of for the bean counters, as you can not spend money if you are physically standing in line (but if you are in a shop down the street from the attraction waiting for your FP time....). FP+ on the other hand I think is for park operations, it gives them data about how busy they can expect the parks to be and helps them tailor the CMs schedules accordingly.
    That's what I meant, sorry. FP+ was for the bean counters. There was absolutely no thought to the guest experience when it was conceived. It was all about counting beans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    No one should go to Disney World and pay oodles of money to do so and then feel like it was a privilege to see an attraction. There is something wrong there.
    100% spot on. Get rid of that stupid 60/30 day window. Get rid of the idiotic tier system. Change the system so it's like the first generation of FP that you can get a FP once you enter the gate.

Unfortunately, Disney has more (intrusive) plans with this technology than you can ever imagine.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, there's too much planning (and I am a planner). But the OP got FP+ for everything wanted, right? So no reason to be sad. The crowds keep coming and Disney has to keep adjusting. I'm not saying it's a great system, but it works for now. WDW is not a stress-free vacation for the person in charge of planning, that's for sure.
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Puts on tin hat and flame proof cloak. Ok, this won't be popular but I like the new system. Sure its stressful when the mark hits and you're trying to get your ADR's or Fastpasses but the going to each ride and finding no passes left or at a time you couldn't do for whatever reason was way more stressful, especially when you factor in a not-as-healthy-as-used-to-be-40+ woman pushing disabled hubby in wheelchair all over the park and sometimes for nothing.
    This new system means we know when and where eating and we have our favourite rides/attractions booked so everything else such as rest breaks, medications etc can all be fitted in with little to no stress. Much better for us but I do understand its not everyone's cup of tea,
    Ducks back down behind parapet.
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

26. Likes VWL Mom, Isabella, luv2travel82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merciantinkerbell View Post
    Puts on tin hat and flame proof cloak. Ok, this won't be popular but I like the new system. Sure its stressful when the mark hits and you're trying to get your ADR's or Fastpasses but the going to each ride and finding no passes left or at a time you couldn't do for whatever reason was way more stressful, especially when you factor in a not-as-healthy-as-used-to-be-40+ woman pushing disabled hubby in wheelchair all over the park and sometimes for nothing.
    This new system means we know when and where eating and we have our favourite rides/attractions booked so everything else such as rest breaks, medications etc can all be fitted in with little to no stress. Much better for us but I do understand its not everyone's cup of tea,
    Ducks back down behind parapet.

I rather have the "stress" now than when I'm there on vacation. Honestly though, if this is the biggest "stress" in my life, I'd be grateful.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

28. Likes Isabella, Lindsey, luv2travel82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone who doesn't find getting up at 6:00 to make rope drop to be part of a restful, relaxing vacation, I am another person who likes the current fast pass system. I am able to get to the park at whatever time I like and still have short waits for 3 of the most popular rides.

30. Likes VWL Mom, Lindsey, luv2travel82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    As someone who doesn't find getting up at 6:00 to make rope drop to be part of a restful, relaxing vacation, I am another person who likes the current fast pass system. I am able to get to the park at whatever time I like and still have short waits for 3 of the most popular rides.
    That's just a strawman argument. I never was a rope drop person. With the exception of TSM, I never had an issue with getting a FP.

Disney has now fooled people into believing that getting a FP for a ride that doesn't need a FP is a bonus.

If you live in Florida, the FP+ is even worse. You just can't decide to make a last minute trip because headliner rides are out if FPs.

With FP, we routinely obtained FPs for 8+ rides a day. (Rides that WE wanted to go on, not rides that Disney gave us permission to ride.) With FP+ we rarely use more than 2 or 3 FPs a day because of the idiotic tier system.

We ROUTINELY obtain FPs for rides we NEVER intend to even ride just so we can get past the even more idiotic three FP limit.

I despise seeing everyone in the park with their heads burried in the MDE app. I even more despise that Disney can pull up your magic band number and literally follow your every footstep through the park.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: