Quantcast Back Lot Tour Closing 9/27/14 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

In the early days of DMGM Studios the Backlot tour was a must see for us. I agree that once animation was gone as well as the chunk of land for LMA, the tour was just a fraction of itself and even though we went on it every visit, the magic was gone.

To me, this quick closure sounds like a $$ thing especially given its timing with the end of the fiscal year. What I really need to hear next is the closure of LMA and Streets of America (maybe after the holiday) which would signal for me the full-on reimagining of this park (along with the rebranding - like the DIsney's Hollywood Adventure idea).
    A full blown Pixar Place with an expanded TSMM ride, the Ratatoille ride from Paris along with a new coaster concept (would love an Incredibles flying coaster!) would really fix that area up. A full-blow Star Wars expansion, with a live Jedi/Empire show in place of Indy and a trackless Endor or other world dark ride would be a great compliment to Star Tours.

Just my armchair Imagineer ideas, but hey, I can dream can't I?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the "original" attraction back in the early 1990s. It was much longer and more fun then. It involved 3-4 stops, a tour behind the scenes of a show being filmed, a second interaction where guests could participate in a blue screen shooting. I miss that longer version of the backlot tour.
    (46) CB -91,95,08,13 (2)
    Poly-93, 01 Port Orl FQ - 97,98, 09, 10 Riverside 01,09, 18 Coronado -99,08
    BC - 01,03,05,06,07
    Dland 03 AK - 06 Pop-14,18 All Star 14,17,18,23
    Christmas at WL 06,07
    SS - 07,10 WL - 06, 07,10 Epcot 08,21
    GF 11 YC 12, 16, 18, 19, 23 DS 21, offsite 14
    Dolphin 21

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see this. It's long overdue. I liked seeing the props and the AFI showcase has always been kind of cool. But really, without updates, it was pretty bad.

But why all of the hand-wringing? Yes, Disney has shuttered some old attractions and left them vacant. Yes, Disney has re-themed a few beloved attractions into other attractions. But Disney has also brought in some new stuff. Expedition Everest, TSMM, Soarin', Turtle Talk with Cruch, New Fantasyland with the Mine Cart ride, Carsland, Avatarland, etc.

Rather than be pessimistic, i'm excited to see what they might do with the space! Especially if they decide to close down the LMA show (which I had heard was coming?). That's a TON of real estate on the south side of the park. They could do some great stuff there!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Disney's Hollywood Adventure anyone?

I hear the name Disney's Hollywoodland being brought up a lot.. But several insiders say that isn't the name they are hearing... Not sure I like the name... But if they do go with Hollywoodland, eh, I'd get use to it....
    Personally, I like Movie Kingdom. We could call it MK and get all confused with the MK that has Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, etc.

Is Disney re-themed out after New Fantasyland or could we expect some retooling at the Studios in the next few years? Would the Lucas acquisition - both Star Wars and Indiana Jones - provide fodder?

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    What hard evidence is there that a makeover is imminent or that it won't sit there unused for 20 years. With nothing more than rumors on the web, I don't trust that a makeover is imminent just because it's need is obvious. There are way too many things mothballed at WDW to assume good things are coming (and from what I heard, Accounting even requires the mothballs to be DVC members!).
    Doesn't have anything to do with Back Lot Tour, but, as for the evidence of the DHS make over, how about the permit filed today for Project 3 which is the project for Soundstage 1... Project begins in October... What the project is happens to be anyone's guess at this point... Could be a 3rd track for TSMM or something new altogether...

Whiting Turner is the contractor... This is much more than destruction of the building... Whiting Turner has done work in Disney before, as well as work in IOA...

This is just the beginning... Small steps... Not going to be done over night... And with Disney's construction schedule, will be several years before the park make over is done...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Personally, I like Movie Kingdom. We could call it MK and get all confused with the MK that has Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, etc.

Is Disney re-themed out after New Fantasyland or could we expect some retooling at the Studios in the next few years? Would the Lucas acquisition - both Star Wars and Indiana Jones - provide fodder?

Jan
    Star Wars: yes... Indiana Jones? No idea... No one ever seems to talk about Indiana Jones...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Star Wars: yes... Indiana Jones? No idea... No one ever seems to talk about Indiana Jones...
    Please include an entire Lucasland and not just star wars... There is SO much more there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    Please include an entire Lucasland and not just star wars... There is SO much more there.
    Now that would be a great idea! With so much new movie technology from 20 years ago, DHS could really jump into the 21st cutting edge century.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it had to go. Sad ride. We went on Tuesday, and CC broke while we were in the canyon.

They are probably turning it into an Olaf meet n greet and a Frozen gift store. DHS should be renamed Disney's Frozen Resource Center. Everything Frozen, all day, every day.

I heard they are going to redo Toy Story, and move out Woodie and put in Olaf. The Great Movie Ride is being changed to Great Scenes in Frozen. Honey I shrunk the kids, will turn into Elsa and Anna's Frozen playland. Indiana Jones will turn into Sven and Kristoff's Stunt's and More.

I heard they are going to redo Epcot as well and just call it Frozen. Rides will be ICE and Me, Ice Wars, Ice'in, Test Freeze, Mission to Big Frozen Bucks, and Fiesta De Frozen a Mexican / Frozen infusion.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Texas211 for the good laugh.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    The Great Movie Ride is being changed to Great Scenes in Frozen.
    They would have to show the entire film, right? FWIW, this is perhaps the very first time I've been dumbfounded by the massive appeal of a Disney film. I enjoyed Treasure Planet more than Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't get it.

I was over w/ Frozen by the end of our Disney trip and was ready to throw the blu ray home when we flew back.

As for showing the whole movie in "Great Moments in Frozen" I don't think modern children could make it through the ride. This is the age of folks needing 10 forms of entertainment to make it through a 20-30 minute line.

I'd rather them alter Buzz Lighter AstroBlasters to replace Zerg w/ images of Elsa, Olaf and Anna. I might break my record.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it had to go. Sad ride. We went on Tuesday, and CC broke while we were in the canyon.

They are probably turning it into an Olaf meet n greet and a Frozen gift store. DHS should be renamed Disney's Frozen Resource Center. Everything Frozen, all day, every day.

I heard they are going to redo Toy Story, and move out Woodie and put in Olaf. The Great Movie Ride is being changed to Great Scenes in Frozen. Honey I shrunk the kids, will turn into Elsa and Anna's Frozen playland. Indiana Jones will turn into Sven and Kristoff's Stunt's and More.

I heard they are going to redo Epcot as well and just call it Frozen. Rides will be ICE and Me, Ice Wars, Ice'in, Test Freeze, Mission to Big Frozen Bucks, and Fiesta De Frozen a Mexican / Frozen infusion.
    This would be funny, if there wasn't a possibility of it coming true.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Disney's Hollywood Adventure anyone?

I hear the name Disney's Hollywoodland being brought up a lot.. But several insiders say that isn't the name they are hearing... Not sure I like the name... But if they do go with Hollywoodland, eh, I'd get use to it....
    That park will always be MGM. I have never called it DHS it just doesnt sound right (to me)
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather them alter Buzz Lighter AstroBlasters to replace Zerg w/ images of Elsa, Olaf and Anna. I might break my record.
    Fits in Tomorrowland almost as well as this will fit in World Showcase.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping they won't replace it with some cruddy little kids rides or land. I get it they need kids attractions and I love Frozen and everything but as someone mentioned they are losing the vision and direction of the parks. I think Epcot is my favorite even though it is outdated because it has the memories and fun that its always had for my family. Seeing spaceship earth makes my heart skip a beat. "MGM" however has lost its magic for me, it isn't aligned with what it was originally built for.
    #rundisney

Marathon Weekend Half Marathon: 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015

Next Trip: Wine and Dine Half Marathon-November 2015 (trip 24)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: