Quantcast Tron Lightcycles to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tron Lightcycles to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway?

Rumors say - starting in 2018 they will begin removing the Speedway for the Tron Lightcycles from Shanghai. This will probably be formally announced this weekend at D23.

I can't help but think this could have gone somewhere more effective. The ride itself looks cool but I think it's a shame to destroy an attraction to put in a new one. And if Tomorrowland needs a refresh, why not start with Stitch or Monsters Inc instead?

Anyway, get your rides on the Speedway now kids. No more driving for you (at least on the east coast!)
    Last edited by John; 07-10-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

2. Likes John liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there should be a stronger Tron presence in Tomorrowland. I've always wanted the Space Mountain arcade to be called Flynn's.

One thing I dont like is exchanging a family friendly ride like the Grand Prix, and putting in one that will have specific ride restrictions. I am leery of WDW turning into a Six Flags park.

Great point though, if you want to take something out, do something w/ the Stitch space.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

5. Likes John liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be a little more careful - while multiple outlets are reporting - nothing is final till it's announced. After all, weeks ago - people were saying plans and such made this an almost certainty for Epcot.

Now, that being said, I can totally see this happening and wouldn't be surprised at all. Tomorrowland like Future World at Epcot really needs a shot in the arm.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

In case you weren't familiar with the ride - here is some concept art...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

While the Autopia (Speedway at WDW) has some sentimental value for me personally as someone who grew up at Disneyland, I have to admit that none of my kids (3 out of 4 are boys) or grandkids (they're all in that target age group now) have ever expressed any real interest in the attraction. Maybe it is time to "let it go". The Speedway does have a large footprint that could be used for other things.

Personally, though, I'd put Tron in Epcot, and use the Speedway space for two new attractions. That would be a win for both parks.

One concern of puting Tron in this space is the proximity to Space Mountain. That area of the Park is going to be VERY crowded. But then, Splash and Big Thunder are next to each other, and they too are on the periphery of the Park, so maybe it won't be too bad.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I would actually be very excited about this (but I also never really liked the cars even as a kid, too jerky.) At this point though I think I get excited about anything NEW (at all!)
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    One thing I dont like is exchanging a family friendly ride like the Grand Prix, and putting in one that will have specific ride restrictions. I am leery of WDW turning into a Six Flags park.
    Agree. I won't miss the Speedway, but am not interested in another thrill ride. As long as Disney adds other kinds of attractions as well, I think it would be great. Stitch could go, too.
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I can understand your trepidation over this, I can certainly see how this would fit in better with Tomorrowland than a throwback attraction like the Speedway. There are many attraction like the Speedway at local amusement parks and Disney should be 'a step above and beyond' the standard amusement park fare. (In my mind anyway.)

I do agree wholeheartedly that Stitch, and to some degree Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor are almost 'throwaway' attractions, but I do enjoy Monsters Inc. now and then. The Stitch attraction, however, was a poor replacement for ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter and seemed to be something thrown in just to take advantage of the popularity of Stitch after the 'Lilo and Stitch' movie(s).
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

If I may give my two cents, I think this is an amazing idea. The Tomorrowland Speedway was desperately in need of an update (ie. gas powered cars are not very futuristic....not to mention loud!!) but since that wasn't going to happen, I am so excited for this (assuming it's legit). Another thrill ride for the park! It will thin out some of the crowds from Space Mountain. I'm just not sure how the theming of it will transition in nicely to the Mad Tea Party, but hey, that'll be for someone else to come up with. It will look so amazing lit up at nighttime back there. I have fond childhood memories of the Speedway as I'm sure lots of you do, but change can be good (we will overlook the fond childhood memories I also have of Journey Into Imagination and how that got messed up...lol!). Personally I think this is a WIN WIN!!

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not buying it just yet. It just makes no sense to put a coaster right next to another coaster. (Or right next to 3 coasters, if you count 7 Dwarfs and Barnstormer).

I think it is more likely this will end up at Epcot, if anywhere.

Hopefully those Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot rumors were just a cover for this going in to replace UoE. Fingers crossed.

Putting this in Epcot doesn't bother me. Replacing the speedway for it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This would be pretty amazing. I can't say I would miss the Speedway. We've made some fun memories on it, but I also remember our girls asking, "What is WRONG with these cars?"

So, how much of a thrill ride is Tron?
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Love, love, love! It's no secret that Disney needs more E ticket rides to compete Universal. It also gives visitors another reason to visit Tomorrowland. Space Ranger Spin and the Laugh Floor are fun, but they need another big draw in Tomorrowland. Redo the Stitch space while you're at it!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Wow! This would be pretty amazing. I can't say I would miss the Speedway. We've made some fun memories on it, but I also remember our girls asking, "What is WRONG with these cars?"

So, how much of a thrill ride is Tron?
    It's a coaster. Probably somewhere between Big Thunder and Rock n Roller coaster in terms of thrill. It has a high speed launch. You sit straddled on cars that look like a motorcycle. Very similar to how you sit on the new Flight of Passage ride.

It goes 60mph and has a height requirement of 48 inches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like this attraction needs a fair amount of space, so the Stitch location wouldn't be large enough possibly? Getting rid of the speedway makes a lot of sense to me. I've never been a fan. My kids were never into it. Tron fits with Tomorrowland. Overall, I think it's a great fit and replacing an attraction that has outlived its time. And I can't see that they would have any issue placing a coaster near other coasters. You have Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain in proximity. It works, if it's really happening.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

18. Dislikes buzznwoodysmom disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A small part of me will miss the Speedway, but just for nostalgic reasons. However, I think this is a good move. I think the Speedway was fantastic back in the day as it gave kids the ability to control their own vehicle. But today (and for several years) you can go out a by a cheap electric vehicle for your kids that they can drive all over the yard on their own. Along with the computer graphics/racing simulations of today, I think there is little appeal, other than a parent and kid can rid in the vehicle together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    As much as I can understand your trepidation over this, I can certainly see how this would fit in better with Tomorrowland than a throwback attraction like the Speedway. There are many attraction like the Speedway at local amusement parks and Disney should be 'a step above and beyond' the standard amusement park fare. (In my mind anyway.)
    I agree with this in theory, but if the expectation is that Disney needs to be a step above standard amusement parks, they already have a lot of potential stuff to work on (Stitch and Monsters, Inc., as mentioned, also Innoventions, Wonders of Life, Journey Into the Imagination) before they start messing with all the classics.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

21. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper View Post
    A small part of me will miss the Speedway, but just for nostalgic reasons. However, I think this is a good move. I think the Speedway was fantastic back in the day as it gave kids the ability to control their own vehicle. But today (and for several years) you can go out a by a cheap electric vehicle for your kids that they can drive all over the yard on their own. Along with the computer graphics/racing simulations of today, I think there is little appeal, other than a parent and kid can rid in the vehicle together.
    That's true. My son loved the Speedway when he was little, but it was not commonplace back then for people to have the little motorized cars and bikes for their kids to drive.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

With all due respect to those with little kids and families, there are plenty of family friendly rides. I would say there are more family friendly rides than non-thrilling rides. I understand WDW is not Six Flags, but even the 7 Dwarves Mine Train is no where close to any of the roller coasters at Six Flags. I'm very queasy/intimidated by large/upside down coasters and there is nothing like that at Disney (except R&RC) Yes, some rides do require child swap, but the great thing is that the kid-friendly rides outnumber the "thrilling rides" and kids grow up eventually so they can experience more rides.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Wmsbrg, VA (12 hours & 22 minutes from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been to Disney 7 times and have never had even the slightest interest in the Speedway. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the Autobahn cars at Busch Gardens here in VA. However, if I am not mistaken, is Test Track not Tron themed?

I totally agree with Stitch being taken down. I just home Disney does not turn into a thrill-ride zone. Definitely not worth the money as a thrill-avoider.
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers... and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.. whenever candlelights flicker... where the air is deathly still... that is the time when ghosts are present... practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

Wmsbrg, VA (12 hours & 22 minutes from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

Hopefully those Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot rumors were just a cover for this going in to replace UoE. Fingers crossed
    I'm just hoping they don't replace ToT with that Guardians of the Galaxy mess. Now THAT'S a true classic that cannot go!
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers... and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.. whenever candlelights flicker... where the air is deathly still... that is the time when ghosts are present... practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: