Quantcast x pass? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: x pass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We are at a point now that even our ADRs seem like such a headache. I hate having to watch the clock to keep track of our next meal. If we have to have a complete schedule of meals, rides, character meets, then the trip becomes not at all enjoyable, and we'd rather spend our time and money elsewhere. I really hope it doesn't come to this.
    Exactly! I'm so not a spreadsheet vacation kind of gal.

I've caught myself recently poo-pooing some Disney announcements which have turned out to be great, so I'm going to TRY and reserve judgement on this until all the details come out. So far though - not impressed!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If they don't enforce the fast pass time window at least to a degree, then it kind of defeats the purpose of the system, doesn't it? And if there not going to enforce that rule, why should they enforce line cutting, or ADR, or EMH only for resort guests? We have more than once seen that we would not be able to use our fastpass on time, so we gave them away. I don't think someone should have to wait on me because I CHOOSE to go on another ride before using my fastpass. Disney cannot predict when a ride breaks down or how long people will sit at their dining tables, so some leaniency would be nice, 15 min., 30 min. max maybe. I think the fast pass was designed to make wait times more predictable, and efficient, and to allow people to plan better, but how can this happen when the time windows aren't followed? I can't say that I'm happy with some of the recent managerial decisions that are made at disney, but I think this one is just, fair. Because before we had fast pass, we were all waiting in the same "stand bye" line, and if I have to come back by the time my ticket says, well that's the rule and it sounds fair to me. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ...I refuse to be forced to plan out every split-second of my vacation just to avoid being shut out of rides, character meet-and-greets, and restaurants ... you know, all the stuff I'm actually, well, there for?

Even the one or two dinner ADRs are a little too much for me. I like being flexible.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gratuspater View Post
    If they don't enforce the fast pass time window at least to a degree, then it kind of defeats the purpose of the system, doesn't it?
    Not a all.

And if there not going to enforce that rule, why should they enforce line cutting, or ADR, or EMH only for resort guests?
    Line cutting is staunchly against the rules.
    The FP window is not "enforced" by Disney design.
    The FP system works just fine without enforcing the window.
    ADR's are often honored later than their exact time.
    PM EMH time can be open to all, it's just that non-WDW Resort guests cannot ride attractions during the EMH.
    AM EMH, only WDW Resort guests can enter the park in the first hour.

We have more than once seen that we would not be able to use our fastpass on time, so we gave them away. I don't think someone should have to wait on me because I CHOOSE to go on another ride before using my fastpass.
    Nobody would be "waiting on you" if you use your FP after the printed window.
    In reality, you allowed many guests to "go ahead of you" during the earlier time that you did not ride during the printed window.

I think the fast pass was designed to make wait times more predictable, and efficient, and to allow people to plan better, but how can this happen when the time windows aren't followed?
    Disney created the FP and the FP rules.
    As long as you don't use the FP "early" (before the window time) then it doesn't matter much when you choose to use it.
    If you want to use the FP inside that window, you are free to do so...
    just as are guests who choose to use the FP after the window (on the same day it was issued.)

I can't say that I'm happy with some of the recent managerial decisions that are made at disney, but I think this one is just, fair. Because before we had fast pass, we were all waiting in the same "stand bye" line, and if I have to come back by the time my ticket says, well that's the rule and it sounds fair to me.
    It has not been that way since nearly the beginning of FP.
    Anytime you used a FP, you were playing within the current rules.
    If you liked FP, you liked the system that you are disparaging.

Just my opinion.
    And, I've just spoken mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Not a all.

Line cutting is staunchly against the rules.
    The FP window is not "enforced" by Disney design.
    ADR's are often honored later than their exact time.
    PM EMH time can be open to all, it's just that non-WDW Resort guests cannot ride attractions during the EMH.
    AM EMH, only WDW Resort guests can enter the park in the first hour.

Nobody would be "waiting on you" if you use your FP after the printed window.
    In reality, you allowed many guests to "go ahead of you" during the earlier time that you did not ride during the printed window.

Disney created the FP and the FP rules.
    As long as you don't use the FP "early" (before the window time) then it doesn't matter much when you choose to use it.
    If you want to use the FP inside that window, you are free to do so...
    just as are guests who choose to use the FP after the window (on the same day it was issued.)

It has not been that way since nearly the beginning of FP.
    Anytime you used a FP, you were playing within the current rules.
    If you liked FP, you liked the system that you are disparaging.

And, I've just spoken mine.
    Point was, I think fast pass designed to move the lines quicker, more efficient, and make times more predictable, I don't think there would be a window if that wasn't the case. Your right, if disney let's you come back late that's the parks right. But I don't see why anyone would get upset about haveing to come back within the time window, and LIKE I SAID, maybe a little later. And as you said the fast pass system started out adhering to the time window. And I didn't say that I didn't like fast pass, just that adhering to a reasonable time window seemed fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I refuse to be forced to plan out every split-second of my vacation just to avoid being shut out of rides, character meet-and-greets, and restaurants ... you know, all the stuff I'm actually, well, there for?
    Us too...we actually used to do more table service meals than we do now...the whole ADR thing can really dominate the trip and take alot of the fun out things as you hurry to "get there."

If everything starts going "on the clock" then WDW will lose much of its appeal to us as well. One of the reasons I left public accounting all those years ago was having to track and bill my time at six minute intervals...if I have to start planning my disney vacations that precisely I'll opt for something that offers a bit more freedom.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the adr thing does dominate your trip. There was one year that we were having so much fun we said forget the dining reservations lets just grab something at Peco's instead. So we called and canceled our reservations and stayed in the park and had fun! I hope they don't do this xpass thing everyone is referring to. That will make my life way to complicated while on vacation!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

WDW is against enforcing any of their rules. The reason FP is broken is because people do not come back during the 1-hour window. If a CM can enforce the Start Time of the FP, then can surely enforce the End Time I literally had to wait 30 seconds for our FPs on KS. I looked at the guy like he was a leper. But he let someone in with one that was expired. I asked to speak to his manager.

The whole purpose of FP was to get you on an attraction in ~5 minutes or so. Now, FP lines can be 15-30 minutes or longer.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

It's easy for CMs to enforce the start time of the FPs without making anyone unhappy -- it's a lot harder to enforce the end time. (For example: Too early? You CAN use your pass at the time it says on the FP. Too late? You CAN'T use the pass at all.)

The company policy of CMs letting people in if they're late is completely different than people finding out online that you can use FPs anytime after the end time. I've even seen people advising other guests to use them on different days and to just tell the CM at the gate that the ride was down on the day they tried to use it. Because of the Internet, FPs have turned into open-ended pass times, which was never intended.

That said, regarding the NextGen stuff, PLEASE don't make me have to plan every blessed activity in order not to have to wait in endless lines. I don't want or need the stress before or during my vacation.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We are at a point now that even our ADRs seem like such a headache. I hate having to watch the clock to keep track of our next meal. If we have to have a complete schedule of meals, rides, character meets, then the trip becomes not at all enjoyable, and we'd rather spend our time and money elsewhere. I really hope it doesn't come to this.
    Same here. We actually haven't made many ADR's on our last couple trips (just for the key places we had to eat). We've just taken to winging it and hoping for the best.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. We actually haven't made many ADR's on our last couple trips (just for the key places we had to eat). We've just taken to winging it and hoping for the best.
    How has that worked for your family Ian? Are you still able to find places to eat at decent times, and places you actually want to eat at? I'm seriously thinking about starting to do the same thing. Just making ADRs for "have to" eat places and then winging it the rest of the trip. Of course my next trip is for Christmas so there is no way I'll take a chance that week, but I can definitely see us trying this in the future.

We did a last minute trip in June of 2010, DH was on his 2 week R&R from Iraq and his dates kept changing so we didn't have a set date to plan for. We made out just fine with only a couple of ADRs for the week, but it wasn't very busy that week. Not sure if we just lucked out or if other's have had success without lots and lots of ADRs. I liked that not only were we able to do everything more freely, but we also tried a few places we might never had tried, or at least not planned for. Chefs de France and Grand Floridian Cafe to name a few, which turned out to be "hidden gems" for us.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yep. No issues at all, actually.

Although in fairness we did travel at reasonably slow times of the year so we may have just gotten lucky.

But we did an entire trip and only had two ADR's the entire time (both character meals for the kids) and we were still able to dine via walk-up at places like Le Cellier, Chefs De France, Teppan Edo, Crystal Palace, and San Angel Inn with very little wait. In fact, many times we waited significantly less than we normally wait when we do have ADR's!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there the same week as Ian. We did same day ADRs (via the Disney mobile Dining site) sometimes a couple hours prior to the mealtime! I had a few made, but we ended up changing them to days/times that suited us better. It was very easy.

I think as long as you are flexible, you can do either walk ups or same day ADR via the mobile site from your phone. It's actually a really neat feature, and allows you to search for "open tables" for the dining time period you are interested in.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I think as long as you are flexible, you can do either walk ups or same day ADR via the mobile site from your phone. It's actually a really neat feature, and allows you to search for "open tables" for the dining time period you are interested in.
    Love, love, love it! It's very handy for us locals who never get to plan 180 days out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Love, love, love it! It's very handy for us locals who never get to plan 180 days out.
    I agree. I book any "necessary" meals which are usually character meals . I usually book 1 meal per day, but use the mobile site to change or plan same day.

I am usually an obsessive planner but have gotten tired of it. For our Oct trip I have 2 character meals for the kids booked and nothing else. Just haven't been able to get motivated to book anything.I am lucky if I know what I want to eat tomorrow, let alone 180 days from now.

I hope the next gen stuff doesn't make it worse. When we are running to an ADR or to make a fast pass time, I think we miss the best of Disney.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    WDW is against enforcing any of their rules.
    Silly.

The reason FP is broken is because people do not come back during the 1-hour window.
    I didn't know FP was broken.
    Also, there's no reason to have to ride within that 1 hour window.

If a CM can enforce the Start Time of the FP, then can surely enforce the End Time I literally had to wait 30 seconds for our FPs on KS. I looked at the guy like he was a leper. But he let someone in with one that was expired. I asked to speak to his manager.
    The reason FP works is the cause guests to "come back later" only as early as the beginning of the window. The end of the window doesn't matter much, in general.
    What did the manger tell you?

The whole purpose of FP was to get you on an attraction in ~5 minutes or so.
    No, that's not the whole purpose of FP.

Now, FP lines can be 15-30 minutes or longer.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    But, the use of FP after the window is not necessarily the reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies if this is off topic, but I'm confused about the NextGen thing. Am I to believe that in the future, if I want to ride, say, Splash Mountain, that I'll need a reservation? Let's say I neglect to make one? Does this mean I won't get to ride it? What happens if I get behind on my ride reservations because of a ride breakdown, my waitress is slow, or my kid gets tired? What if I get off Splash and just happen to want to ride again? Will I have to make reservations for my snacks and quick service too? Am I to know 180 days in advance when I'll be hungry? Should I reserve bathroom breaks too?

I hope I'm wrong about this. I'm an avid planner. I've got an itinerary for next August's trip already. The thing is, the itinerary is extremely flexible and can be altered at any time without any harm. This NextGen thing sounds way too rigid, unless I'm reading it wrong, which I hope is the case. If not, I never thought I'd say this, but I think I might be taking my last trip to WDW next year too...
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Should I reserve bathroom breaks too?(
    Yes you will, and with the next NextGen Bathroom FP, you will only get a 15 minute window!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    Yes you will, and with the next NextGen Bathroom FP, you will only get a 15 minute window!
    Uh oh, better make sure I'm "regular" for next year's trip!

I can't believe I just posted that on my 5000th post...how embarrassing!

Seriously, though, can anyone explain NextGen and "scheduling" your rides? Would that mean "no reservations = no rides"?
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post

Seriously, though, can anyone explain NextGen and "scheduling" your rides? Would that mean "no reservations = no rides"?
    Well, no one really knows the details yet, since Disney hasn't given any. There are, apparently, lots of different ways it could be implemented.

However, I don't think the Standby line is going to be eliminated. Instead, the NextGen will give you more options in obtaining fastpasses ahead of your trip, if you want to.

Considering how many visitors to WDW still don't know what Fastpass is, that it's free, and how to use it, I'm confident that this new stuff will be "for the regulars", the mega fans who go every year, plan their ADRs 180 days out, etc. They will still likely anticipate somewhere north of 50% of the park visitors will go the "old fashioned" route.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: