Quantcast Canadian Editorial on Current State of Epcot's O Canada! and its Forthcoming Update

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canadian Editorial on Current State of Epcot's O Canada! and its Forthcoming Update

That '80s Show Embarrasses Canadians
    Disney's Epcot to update 1982 film

TONY ATHERTON
    CanWest News Service
    7/24/07

The year was 1982. Pierre Trudeau was prime minister, the Jays played at Exhibition Stadium, Vancouver's False Creek was an industrial wasteland and a film called O Canada! was the star attraction of the Canada Pavilion at the brand-new Epcot Centre at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

A quarter of a century later, the 18-minute, 360-degree film is still packing 'em in at Epcot, but its dated and often hokey portrayal of the country has become a painful embarrassment for Canadian tourism officials and for many of the tens of thousands of Canadians who visit the theme park each year.

Ancient footage of the RCMP Musical Ride, flannel-wearing fishermen, fleeting and outdated aerial shots of Canadian cities and voice-overs by actors affecting bad Newfoundland and Quebec accents are all cited in the steady stream of complaints about the film fielded each year by the Canadian Tourism Commission.

Soon, however, Canadian visitors to Epcot may no longer be blushing as bright at Mickey Mouse's red lederhosen. Seven years after former Canadian Tourism Commission president Jim Watson launched a campaign to have the Disney-made film updated, it seems a new version of O Canada! will debut Aug. 25 - with help from some high-profile Canadians: Gatineau's Canadian Idol winner Eva Avila and, Disney buffs say, comedian Martin Short.

The folks at Disney won't confirm or deny rumours the film is being relaunched next month. Walt Disney Canada spokeswoman Angela Saclamacis will only say "we are expecting some good things over at Epcot ... but we're not prepared to announce anything officially at this time."

However, an official Disney website notes the O Canada! film exhibit at the Canada Pavilion, a circular room with nine large screens surrounding an audience pit, will be shut down from Aug. 20-24 for "refurbishment."
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking as a Canadian I am very happy to hear about the new film. I have been going to Disney World since I was 5 (that was in 1987), and the film looks more dated every year. I showed my husband (who is taking his first Disney vacation in 2008) the attraction UTube and he couldn't believe how "80's" the film was. I am a bit upset that they are changing the song (if that rumour turns out to be true), I thought that an update- maybe with Celine Dion singing, or Brian Adams would be a nice addition, but Eva Avialia has a nice voice. Anyway as a Canadian I am happy to hear that this long over due change may be happening.
    "Tomorrow's child... seeing that knowledge keeps growing"
    Over 20 WDW trips and counting.
    Resorts stayed at: The Disney Inn, Swan, POR, CS, YC, CB, Contemp., Poly, GF, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the news. I can't wait to check it out when I go down in December.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

As a Canadian, I too am glad to hear that the film is FINALLY being updated.

I have to say that I have mixed feelings that they are rumoured to have Eva Avila singing. I think going with a more famous/known Canadian singer would have probably been more fitting: Alanis Morissette, Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Barenaked Ladies, even Anne Murray and the list could go on. I think it is great that a possible up and comer is getting the exposure and I hope that she continues to have a future, only time will tell.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I too am glad to hear about this change and I agree that they should have picked a more more known singer.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings about the change..... I love the old movie and the old song. Yes, I agree it is outdated. But it still show how beautiful our country is.

If the rumours are true about Martin Short, I kinda hope they use him as a narrator only. It might be kinda corny to have him on the screen. Don't get me wrong, I do like the guy, but he may be too much for the film.

As far as the song goes, I have never really enjoyed updated music at Disney. I have always loved the old stuff (especially the Sherman brothers music). I also agree that the choice of singer might be bad. Everyone else has listed some good, well know, Canadian singers, but there are others out there that are better: Sarah McLaughlin, Chantel Kreviazuk, Matt Dusk, etc.
    1981--Too young to remember anything
    1986--During the 15th anniversary, offsite
    1993(?)--All Star Sports
    1995--Coronado
    1997--Single Day
    1997--Single Day
    2000--All Star Sports
    2001--Disney Institute
    2005--Coronado
    2006--Coronado
    2007--Port Orleans--Riverside
    2009--Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I have been curious about the song in the current movie for quite some time now. Does anyone know if the female singer in the duet has an authentic French-Canadian accent?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing the new film.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon93 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the new film.
    ditto ill see in Sept
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Another Canadian putting their two cents in here. A new film is long overdue but so too is a rethinking of the 'costumes' for the Canadian CMs. We are not a country of flannel wearing lumberjacks, period! That's an embarrasing stereotype and should be gone.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Another Canadian putting their two cents in here. A new film is long overdue but so too is a rethinking of the 'costumes' for the Canadian CMs. We are not a country of flannel wearing lumberjacks, period! That's an embarrasing stereotype and should be gone.
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!

How about a /replica of the RCMP uniform? Obviously they cannot personate an officer, but they could still portray it.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    lol, I must agree on that. Truth be told, we dress pretty much the same as everyone else in the world. I know they are trying to portray traditional costume as opposed to current fashion. But even traditionally... lumberjacks were only one profession. And mounties don't all look like that other stereotype either. Nor do all fishermen wear a duck yellow dorey cap. But I guess they are doing their best to distinguish us from the rest of the world.
    Hi ho, hi ho
    To Disney World I go!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to seeing the new film.

We had a chuckle when we saw that film the first time 14 years ago. Having lived in both Canada and the US it would be difficult to distinguish one from the other. But that said, I've seen some awful stereotypes on both sides of the border. I think the old film (and CM costumes) used some history to capture a Canadian "feeling". The other Pavilions use historical costumes as well. Here in Canada we know the musical ride is strictly ceremonial and we are not all lumberjacks.

I may have misread, but I thought the two stars were going to be present at the opening.. not necessarily in the film. If the movie's singer is indeed Eva Avialia they may be trying to stay ahead of the trends. Although, I can't see going wrong with Barenaked Ladies who have a wider audience appeal.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

1) I am glad to see the new film coming.
    2) My old corporate HQ used to be in Canada.
    3) I find the current movie a poor representation of Canada.
    4) It will be nice to have a better show.

NOTE: For the longest time, I thought the Canadian alphabet consisted of 27 letters. A-eh-B-C-D-etc.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1)

NOTE: For the longest time, I thought the Canadian alphabet consisted of 27 letters. A-eh-B-C-D-etc.
    Oh, and Zed not Zee.

Now I have to go and get my new flannel shirt on and sharpen the axe.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm Ok.....
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad the pavillion is getting a new film, but I will miss the old music. The film gives me a lot of memories of my first visits to Epcot.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

They should make Lecellier bigger so I can get a ressie there lmao!!!
    DVC Member SSR
    SSR Apr 08
    AS Movies Apr 07

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto about the costumes. I always feel that those Canadian CMs look very warm.
    "Tomorrow's child... seeing that knowledge keeps growing"
    Over 20 WDW trips and counting.
    Resorts stayed at: The Disney Inn, Swan, POR, CS, YC, CB, Contemp., Poly, GF, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneynorth View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the change..... I love the old movie and the old song. Yes, I agree it is outdated. But it still show how beautiful our country is.

If the rumours are true about Martin Short, I kinda hope they use him as a narrator only. It might be kinda corny to have him on the screen. Don't get me wrong, I do like the guy, but he may be too much for the film.

As far as the song goes, I have never really enjoyed updated music at Disney. I have always loved the old stuff (especially the Sherman brothers music). I also agree that the choice of singer might be bad. Everyone else has listed some good, well know, Canadian singers, but there are others out there that are better: Sarah McLaughlin, Chantel Kreviazuk, Matt Dusk, etc.
    Ah... Matt Dusk! I live in Texas and love him!

I can't wait to see the new film. I want to go to Canada one day.

And as far as stereotyping, all the countries wear a stereotypical costume. I doubt those from Germany really dress that way when they're home...
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: