Quantcast The NBA Experience: Updated 10/19/17 with First Look & Opening Date

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation The NBA Experience: Updated 10/19/17 with First Look & Opening Date

10/19/17

The Walt Disney World resort has shared a first look a the NBA Experience:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resorts
    ... Inspired by the modern architecture of new NBA arenas around the country, the building design exudes the same spirit and energizing impact, while creating an unmistakable and entertaining connection to the NBA in a way that only Disney can.

... The state-of-the-art space will include interactive games and competitions, immersive experiences, a retail store and an adjacent restaurant.

Name:  nbae4785781.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  77.1 KB
    The NBA Experience has been set for a Summer 2019 opening.

1/30/17

The Walt Disney World resort has announced the beginning of the transformation of Disney Quest in the previously announced (but many assumed cancelled due to the delay) NBA Experience:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resorts

... the West Side area will be undergoing changes – beginning with the closure of DisneyQuest on July 3, 2017.

Until July 3, DisneyQuest will continue to offer a great interactive experience for all guests. Disney fans of classic arcade game favorites and virtual worlds featured at the indoor theme park are invited to come out and enjoy the experiences.

... The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort will be a one-of-a-kind basketball-themed experience featuring hands-on activities that put guests of all ages right in the middle of NBA game action. There will be immersive NBA video productions and numerous interactive experiences, as well as a restaurant and a retail store.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea it was still even open. I happened to be at Disney Springs last Monday and walked down there. My platinum annual pass did not work but they gave me a comp pass for a day. I'm 57 but we had taken the kids there multiple times the past several years when they were young. I wanted to check it out. It had not been updated for it looked like several years. There were about 5 "pop a shot" baskets, but only one of them was working. I'm not sure how they are even charging for it now. Or who would pay for it. It was great in it's time but it's time to go.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta admit, thought this idea was shuttered. Interesting to see they are going ahead with the NBA Experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

We are still sad about this in my house. My kids love our local arcade and disney quest was always a treat for them.

Post Thanks / Like

It was great in its day, we used to love it, but when it started going downhill, nothing was kept up and it got to be a situation where too many of the games didn't work.

I loved the Retro floor - but the bumper cars that shot balls was great as well as the VR games -

It will be a good memory for me , I am glad my kids got to experience it too
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Gotta admit, thought this idea was shuttered. Interesting to see they are going ahead with the NBA Experience
    Doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but I suppose this will be tied into the extensive NBA coverage that ABC/ESPN has?

DisneyQuest could have been great, but Disney struggles with anything that requires continual re-investment of money and imagination.

8. Thanks heathertyson35 thanked for this post
    Likes heathertyson35, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    It was great in its day, we used to love it, but when it started going downhill, nothing was kept up and it got to be a situation where too many of the games didn't work.
    This is how I feel about a lot of WDW these days. So much doesn't work reliably that many guests don't even know what a fully operating attraction looks like.

You can't disguise it as easily with a video game.

10. Thanks heathertyson35 thanked for this post
    Likes heathertyson35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but I suppose this will be tied into the extensive NBA coverage that ABC/ESPN has?

DisneyQuest could have been great, but Disney struggles with anything that requires continual re-investment of money and imagination.
    Truer innoventions, i mean words, have never been spoken.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

**Update**

13. Thanks Patricia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been renamed the Cavs vs Warriors Experience, as that is the NBA.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update! Looks interesting.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that it needed to change, but I think this is very short sighted of Disney. If you already have the grounds for a virtual reality situation, why not make it ALL of professional sports. The ESPN experience! This covers a lot more than just NBA. batting cages, football throws, golf VR, ...the sports world at you finger tips! Not just basketball. I think it really narrows your target audience.

But what do I know? I've been screaming for an Animators Pallet in New York City or Disney Springs. Or even just a Disney restaurant....

Post Thanks / Like

I realize I'm not an NBA fan at all, but ever since this was first rumoured, I've struggled to understand why anyone would care about this while at WDW, and how Disney expects they'll make money from it (other than the NBA paying them gobs of cash to try to put a positive spin on the "NBA" brand).

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    I realize I'm not an NBA fan at all, but ever since this was first rumoured, I've struggled to understand why anyone would care about this while at WDW, and how Disney expects they'll make money from it (other than the NBA paying them gobs of cash to try to put a positive spin on the "NBA" brand).

Steve
    I agree. I'm surprised not football. But many think basketball will overtake football in popularity. Especially, florida I associate with football and baseball.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings