Quantcast First time travelling with an ECV... what do I need to know?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time travelling with an ECV... what do I need to know?

Well, things have progressed to the point where I need an ECV here at home and have just bought my very own 3 wheeler. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I will be travelling to WDW at the end of the month and will be bringing it with me. What do I need to know before I head to the airport? Do I need to tell the airlines that I have it? What are the procedures at the gate?

I did note our DME reservation that I had an ECV. Is it worth calling again just to be sure?

Any tips are much appreciated!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We rented one for my neice. My best advise is to be patient. Trying to get thru congested areas such as Main Street can be difficult and frustrating at times.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

We've never flown with an ECV, but we used to fly with my Mom's wheelchair all the time. We did speak to the airline prior to our flight date to let them know her limitations etc. I would certainly let the airline know that you have one, and then they can let you know their procedure.

I am so happy for you and the freedom your ECV will give you!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Ellen, Marilyn Michetti flies with her ECV to DIsney every year and swears up and down that it is not difficult. Maybe you could send her a PM if she doesn't see your post.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I flew with an ECV for the first time this past May. It wasn't difficult at all.

I first did call the airline and note on my reservation that I was traveling with the scooter. The main reason for this was because of the battery and so that the airlines knows it is coming so they make room for it. I then went to security and stayed on my scooter. I was pulled off to the side where they wanded me and my scooter. Then when I got to the gate I rode it down to the plane. They pre-boarded us so they had time to load the scooter.

I had before I got to the airport, took anything that might get lost or damaged off the scooter and placed it in a separate bag. I also put my charger in there. You can do this and it doesn't count as part of your carry on count due to it being medical equipment. When I landed I waited and was one of the last off the plane. My scooter was waiting there for me at the door of the plane.

Forgot to mention that I put the scooter in freewheel before leaving it and I also locked the tiller into the down position and locked the front wheel.

Just as a precaution we took pictures of the scooter before boarding the plane. That way we had record of the shape it was in before handing it over. This way no one could say that it was damaged before they got a hold of it.

Really it isn't difficult at all. I was very surprised how smoothly it went.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    First of all, make sure you request special assistance with your airline and REPORT your ecv, they will tell you what their procedure is with the battery. Usually, they will make you transfer to a wheelchair, take the battery and store it, and the will send your ecv to the belly of the plane. You will be boarded first so make sure you allow at least 2 hours for check in and boarding. They will transfer you from the wheelchair to an aisle chair if you cannot walk into the plane. After everyone dissembarks the plane once you arrive, they will give you your ecv, battery and all. You haveto make sure they give it back in the same condition in which you handed it in, as is stated in the Air Carriers Access Act.
    You should ask Disney to arrange for a handicap accessible room just in case, and you should tell DME that you are traveling in an ecv.
    Also, you should know that not all rides are evc accessible and you should be ready to transfer either to a ride or to a wheelchair. Finally, you should know, you cannot ride the buss on an ecv, they will make you get off so they can strap the ecv more securely. so you will have to be on a regular seat and possibly climb up or down the stairs.
    If there is any other reasonable accomodation you need, make sure you ask Disney and the Airline, and also take a doctor's note just in case you need a guest assistance pass.
    Take care and have fun!!!!!!!!!!
    Jenny 1976
    DVC-BLT-Members 2009

Post Thanks / Like

You do not need a doctors note for a GAC. In fact a CM will not look at it. If you feel better bringing a Dr's note then it does not need a diagnosis, just have it say what accommodations you need, such as no waiting in sun or such.

When using a ECV or wheelchair you don't need a GAC unless you need accommodations different from mobility issues.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Last trip, March,07.First trip w/ DWs ECV.When booking flights,Jet Blue was the only carrier that could give us straight answers.She rode to the gate, surrendered her ECV and walked on to the plane.
    When we landed, her ECV was brought to the gate in about 5-10 minutes.
    Her biggest problem was people trying to rush off of the plane almost knocking her down.
    This year we are driving down with the ECV safely in the back of my Expedition.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

It's really simple. Just go through security, which is not bad, if your body isn't full of metal. You will be pre-boarded, and will ride your ECV right to plane door. They take your scooter down to the cargo hold, and it's waiting for you when you get off. They will ask you what kind of battery you have, and I can't remember which one is right, but you can check it ahead.

The busses at Disney have been updated. It used to be harder, but now they've got adequate room to turn around, facing front, and three point into the space. Just PLEASE don't be discouraged if somebody makes a face when you're boarded first on the bus. The driver is required, BY LAW, to secure you before the others. The reason, (if any crabby passengers are reading this) is simply that the driver is not allowed to leave his running bus unattended, which is why he shuts the door. Can you imagine some nut taking off with the bus, the driver, and passangers?

The best advantage to bringing your own ECV, is that you know it. The ones in the parks are like trucks, and nobody really shows people how to operate them - they just hand you a key, and take your money.

Good luck, Pete. It's not bad at all.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone, for your answers. I'm a veteran ECV renter but after many, many times of reading Marilyn's advice ("buy your own, it will pay for itself in the long run"), I did just that. Now, based on the benefit of your experience, I feel much better about getting it on and off the plane. (Now if I could only get it out of my trunk! )

Thanks again!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Did I call you Pete? Yeah, I did. Sorry.

It does pay for itself, and you have it at home for malls, airport, etc. I'm taking mine to Vegas in the Spring, AND, it's been to Disneyland twice.

Have fun.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

i've never flown w/ an evc, but i always use one once i get to the park, and i can tell you that there is no place better in the world than Disney for handicapped...there wasn't one thing i wanted to do that i couldn't do.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: