Quantcast changes to GAC and fast passes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default changes to GAC and fast passes

I have a child that has SID, ADHD and anxiety disorder. He used to have medicine, but he can not take it anymore, so his symptoms are much worse. I used to use the fast pass system and used the passes when he could manage the crowds after sensory breaks etc. Now that the fast pass system is using the time alloted with the exact time, I can no longer do that. When I inquired about getting the GAC, I was informed that they will hand write me one with an exact time we showed up to wait until the hour to ride. That isn't always going to work either because he doesn't always manage the situation within the hour. I may need 2 hours or something. I am actually wondering if this next trip will be managable. I do not know how to help him through the time restraints. Any advice would help.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little confused by your indication that you are assigned a certain time to use the GAC at a certain attraction. My Grandson has Autism and we get a GAC for him. We are never sure what attractions he will be willing to go on each day. There are attractions that he will go on for a while and then he avoids them for a while. Toy Story Mania and Thunder Mountain are two of those rides. Right now TSM is in and TM is out. We have never been given a GAC with a time to go on certain attractions. The GAC generally gives us access to the attractions using the fast pass return but no time is indicated. The pass is dated for the period of time you are visiting Disney and can be used in all four parks.
    Naomi °0°

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused too. Who did you inquire with about the GAC? The only people qualified to give any advice on the GAC are the CM's who work in Guest Relations. Did you call some number? If so, they never know what they are talking about.

I have not heard of any sweeping changes to the way GACs are being done. And, knowing the power of the internet, it would be very easy to obtain information if there was ANY change.

Just go to Guest Relations and don't even mention Fast Pass. Just talk to the CM, explain your child's issues/difficulties, and ask if there is any assistance available to him.

My sons both are on the Autism Spectrum. One is more severely affected when it comes to theme parks (the crowds, sensory overload, etc.) than the other one, so we always get the GAC in his name, and only use it when he needs it. We simply let the CM know that he is severely claustrophobic, both related to being close to too many people, as well as in dark rooms, so we get the Alternate Entrance GAC,which allows us to bypass waiting in any queues that are overly crowded (switch back/cattle chute types or small, dark rooms/hallways) and we wait elsewhere for our turn (often the ride exit until a CM lets us in).

For some people, making use of Fast pass works better than the GAC, but for us, it doesn't help, because often the Fast Pass line takes you through the same queue area as the regular line. Often, it is simply the room the line is in that causes problems for our son.

In the case of a child who is unpredictable like yours, I'd recommend getting a GAC, and continue to try to use FP as you used to. However, if you find that you will not be able to use the pass at the window, simply hand it off to someone who can use it, and use the GAC at the attraction when your son is ready to ride it.

Essentially, the GAC works a lot like a fast pass anyway on many rides, so don't feel stressed out about having to use FP within the hour. Just get the GAC for peace of mind. If you never have to use it, great!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

There has been no change to the use of the GAC. They are issued without a time constraint and can be used as a FastPass at any time during the day.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned and used the GAC for my son and there was not any kind of time restriction. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

TDK - I have to know how your haunted mansion experience went?
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdk316 View Post
    Just returned and used the GAC for my son and there was not any kind of time restriction. Good luck!
    I am wonder the same thing as Texan...!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We were allowed to use the exit as the entrance - they didn't even try to get us to go through the shrinking room. Might depend on the CM working? But he loved it, especially the ghost riding with us.

Post Thanks / Like

that is awesome - knew you would be able too! great to hear!

Thanks!

Mar 2012 - AKL
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Just read on another website that WDW is trying to weed out those who abuse the GAC system. Some have reported that they have been getting a pass to be given to the CM at the beginning of the line. The CM writes the time on the pass that the family arrived at such attraction & then they would have to wait an hour until they can ride such attraction. This prevents such family from having to wait from standing in line & then in the beginning of the next hr they are then allowed to enter the FP line. So it seems to me it may just be easier to wait in the regular line if they can handle it or just get a FP itself since sometimes that will get you on the ride before the hr is up but. So it seems that unless you have a real issue you wont be able to 'skip' the lines.
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default what to do?

What do I do with 2 children that often times can not do a ride or attraction at the given time on a fast pass or what ever pass? I have 2 children with different special needs. I used to use the fast pass system when the times were more flexible for returning. Now that they are for the given hour, I can not always take them on the ride then because one of them is not well or able to go on then. When we stay in line, there are also many times that something happens with them that makes us leave the line to fix the problem, and then we either have to get back in the line, or skip it. Even with fast pass, there are many times we can not stay for it, and need to return when the issues are fixed. If the GAC pass is for a wait of an hour, then what do I do if the hour is up but they are not able to ride. Do I start over.
    Just a little idea of one of their issues is my diabetic son who is considered a fragile diabetic, and with heat and a lot of activity causes blood sugars to go low and high without warning. He can not go on any rides if his sugars are super high or low. It could be life threatening. There are days he will remain stable, and then we are okay, but other days, it goes up and down all day. The Gac allowed us to leave a line and return when he was better without hour on end waits. If we use the Gac like the fast pass is now, and only have the given hour to return, he may never be able to ride anything.

I am going to call Disney and ask them, and possible cancel this next trip in August if this is so. The trip is difficult as is, and without some special help, it is not going to be any fun.
    (AND... the other son can have different, but sometimes other issues that cause us to leave lines.) I am not happy about this rumour.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard of such and, to be honest, it makes zero sense. I have a GAC to avoid waits so...you make me wait... I seriously doubt that.
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

hello I also had a GAC card my last trip may 2011 star wars weekend...at DHS the fast passes were done..they were not giving anymore out...this was at 11am...I went to the "special line handed my GAC card"..they wrote out on a blue GAC card 1hr..I asked if I can just sa=tay inside because of the heat they said sure...but I did wait only 30mins.... this was the only time I had this happen... maybe because the line was so long... I think it was 3 hr wait if you did not have a fast pass
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexansInNY View Post
    I have not heard of such and, to be honest, it makes zero sense. I have a GAC to avoid waits so...you make me wait... I seriously doubt that.
    Just be aware- the GAC doesn't prevent waiting. Sometime the wait can be longer with the GAC
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Just be aware- the GAC doesn't prevent waiting. Sometime the wait can be longer with the GAC
    This is true. We have a GAC for DD, and it has the alternate entrance/fp request on it. During our trip last September, we waited much longer than the posted stand-by time for both SM and BTMRR. In both cases, there were other GAC holders waiting with us who ended up leaving because their loved one couldn't cope. Now granted, this was on a night that MK seemed much more crowded than usual, and many, many of the CMs seemed to be either new or especially clueless, as we have never experienced this before with a GAC.

Even with this experience, I tell everyone that WDW enables our family to have an amazing week together, and that they do a far better job than anywhere else I have been when it comes to enabling those with disabilities.
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wdw_bound View Post
    Even with this experience, I tell everyone that WDW enables our family to have an amazing week together, and that they do a far better job than anywhere else I have been when it comes to enabling those with disabilities.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that's the point. If people are abusing it, then requiring some sort of wait time will get those people to stop "bothering" to get it. My brother has mobility issues, and we have only ever used the GAC if there were stairs or something else he couldn't navigate on his crutches. We have used it so that he can sit and wait. Other than that, we don't ever mind the wait, because we know its whats best for our family. But I do know people who have wanted it just to "cut the line" so to speak, and on some attractions, that was able to happen--i guess.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Will be heading to WDW in 5 days. DS5 has some special needs and we have used the GAC in the past (last time 18 months ago) and like people have said it usually allowed for shorter, but not nonexistent waits. No one ever wrote a time for us to have to come back later. Has something changed?
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Disney has changed any of their policies regarding the GAC.

HOWEVER, it maybe needs to be clarified that the GAC is meant for people with INVISIBLE disabilities (mental, cognitive, medical), and not for people with obvious disabilities (mobility issues, wheelchair/ECV bound, etc.) This has always been Disney's intention with the GAC. People with obvious disabilities can easily be recognized by CM's and directed where to go and wait for each attraction.

In high crowd times, I can see Disney telling CMs at popular attractions to ask a family using a GAC to come back in an hour (or whatever). I know that would be a lot easier on my son than having to wait in a 60 min line. If we could do something else in that hour instead, that would be a lot more tolerable, so I wouldn't mind that at all. Flexibility is key when using a GAC. People who use them know all about needing to be flexible.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I think people mix it up with Universal where they do assign a time to return based on the current wait - write it on your ACA card. Yes, sometimes the wait can be longer - the safari always seems to be one as there are limited amounts of those vehicles, but the point remains that GAC does not work like ACA and you are doing what is best for your children.
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media: