Quantcast WDW Airline??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: WDW Airline??

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Airline??

I know this might be a goofy post but has Disney ever considered starting their own airline? It would be pretty cool if they had an airline that was along the lines of magical express with disney videos playing during the flight or imagine even some characters on the plane? I mean they have enough area at WDW to build their own airport and everything. Has anyone else ever considered this, I know it is probably just a pipe dream

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe in the 80's they had some sort of an agreement with Delta. Can anyone confirm this? I was a child at the time, but recall "Mickey" planes.
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was considered, but not much came of it. It Hooters couldn't succeed in getting off the ground, Mickey cant either.

There is/was an airstrip to the right as you go through the parking entrance o MK and head to the right towards the contemporary. It's not for large aircraft, but it's an airstrip.

Used for construction staging these days. I also heard at one point it was used to test an idea to produce a musical number when riding the busses (Zip a dee doo da is the tune I heard) via carefully spaced bumps on the roadway. Maybe a tall tale from a bus driver though...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have to say that, although I would never pretend to understand all the complexities of running an airline, it would seem like this is a very natural extension of Disney's business.

I'm sure a very high percentage of folks who visit WDW would consider using WDW Airlines if the price was right.

Really the way to do it is just to license out your name to an established carrier (like Southwest) and let them run the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanymouse
    I believe in the 80's they had some sort of an agreement with Delta. Can anyone confirm this? I was a child at the time, but recall "Mickey" planes.
    In the early 80's it was Eastern Airlines until they went belly-up. I think Delta was the official airline of Walt Disney World for awhile after that (I know they took over sponsorship of If You Had Wings), but I don't really know for how long or what the details were.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Alaska AIrlines has a few Disney themed planes, we have ridden them on occasion coming down. Do internet search and you can see pictures of them.
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I think we've had this discussion in the past. I think it would be a bad idea. Disney provides entertainment, not transportation. I think an airline would fall outside the core of what they do well and would not be a good business for them to be in.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I would love this, mostly because I Delta and its our only way down to orlando
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Bad Idea

Given the state of the airline industry today, Disney would be crazy to do this.

Remember the old saying: " If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars & run an airline".
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

All it would take is, God forbid, a crash and the Disney company would be sued to the moon. Plus, I would think, the cost of insurance would be prohibitive for them.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: