Quantcast Help me decide

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Help me decide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me decide

I am going to fly into Orlando a day earlier than my friend gets there. I can't decide where I should stay for that one night. He and I are staying at AKL when he gets there.

Pop Century is my favorite resort, so I initially thought I would stay there. Staying at all of the resorts is on my bucket list though.

I always go to Downtown Disney for my first night there.

Pros and Cons

Pop Century is my favorite, but I haven't stayed at any of the other values yet. A value would be the cheapest option for just one night.

Port Orleans French Quarter freaks me out with the giant face masks in the dining area. (Don't laugh too hard.) I was thinking one night there wouldn't be too bad, and then I could cross it off of my list. Plus, I wanted to show my friend the cooking station at Riverside where they make your food to order and the fire flares up in the pan. We could walk over and do that before I move to AKL if he gets there early enough.

I could splurge and do a really expensive deluxe, since it is just me. The Grand Floridian isn't really my style, but as I said previously, it is just one night and then it is crossed off the list. There's also yacht or beach club. I could spend the evening on the Boardwalk after I am done at Downtown Disney. Downside, that's a lot of money for just one person for one night.

Give me your opinions!
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would probably splurge. If Grand Floridian is not a place you would really want to stay for a longer trip then that would probably be a good choice. If you know you are going to end up there for only a night at some point to get it crossed off your list you may as well do it now if you have the money.
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you spend the money for the GF and have the attitude that you don't really love the theme and it's just one night... it's not worth it. The GF is a gorgeous resort with a lot to offer that deserves a few days to win you over (and if it doesn't, oh well, but at least you gave it a proper try). For one night, stick with a value or moderate. I would choose the POFQ, just to cross that one off since the masks freak you out (and I don't blame you, they are creepy).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

How about Saratoga Springs? Walking distance to DTD. Or the Hotel Plaza to save some $.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

SBETigg, you've given out good advice to me in the past, so I will trust you about the GF and save it for more than just one day.

I am saving Saratoga Springs, because I want to stay in the treehouse villas next time I can go with all of my kids.

I've narrowed it down to All Star Sports (no one who I would ever go with likes sports) or Port Orleans FQ (if I can get over the thought of the masks).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    SBETigg, you've given out good advice to me in the past, so I will trust you about the GF and save it for more than just one day.
    Aw, thanks. That's nice to hear. I hope you're happy with your choice, but I know you will love AKL.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If you truly plan on staying at every resort, than I would say now is the time to stay at the Value. You probably aren't going to spend a lot of time at the resort. Personally, I would choose FQ because of the other things you mentioned, and the fact that it's a nicer resort(IMO). I also know you will love AKL. It is wonderful.

Mar. 2006 - Offsite
    Sep. 2008 - Coronado Springs
    Mar. 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    June 2014 - Caribbean Beach/Yacht Club/Offsite
    Sep. 2016 - Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I just booked a Bahamas cruise with a friend for next January. There's no way I can go to Florida without a stop in Disney World, so I'm going to stay at FQ then. Mostly because I know the masks will freak him out too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. <3

Post Thanks / Like

Warning. You may not think you care for the GF, but after a stay there, no matter how brief, you may change yor mind. Then, like my wife, nothing else will do! It's a little more than I would like to pay but it is really a great resort. So convenient to MK, beautiful rooms, I think the best dining options in the world and its just a relaxing place to stay. And if you are think a little too prim and proper, a nights stay will change your opinion. I'm just a retired UPS guy. And I fit right in. So will you.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

"Just a retired UPS guy" You probably know how to deal with people better than most others.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: