Quantcast UGGGGHHHHHHh!!!!! Beach club pool closing?!?! - INTERCOT Boards

Find out the latest news, information and rumours covering all of the Walt Disney World Resort. Draw on the combined knowledge of thousands of users in planning you next Walt Disney World vacation.  Ask questions, get answers, make new friends! Information on the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Blizard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and more! Detailed information and recommendations on Walt Disney World official and off property resorts, hotels & accomodations. NTERCOT's information central featuring Walt Disney World phone numbers, tips and FAQ's. INTERCOT's own store featuring INTERCOT apparel, Disney video and DVD's, travel planning books, CD's and more. INTERCOT's Disney World interactive section featuring software, the INTERCOT Insider newsletter, Walt Disney World Web Postcards and much more.

ICOT Sponsors
magical journeys travel agency
quicksilver tours & transportation
all star vacation rental homes
timeshare store DVC resales
sheraton vistana resort
buy theme park / attraction tickets
universal orlando resortAdvertisement
Strollers and Groceries
INTERCOT store

ICOT Affiliates
amazon.com
disney art
& posters
disney checks
disney store
buy one share of disney stock

priceline.com

proflowers.com

News
site search
headlines
past updates
discussion boards
email update

ICOT Other
advertising
sponsors
link to us
contact us

INTERCOT Boards  

Go Back   INTERCOT Boards > Resorts & Dining > Accommodations

Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Senior Cast Member

Default UGGGGHHHHHHh!!!!! Beach club pool closing?!?!

I JUST TODAY changed a day from Port Orleans to the beach club ONLY for my kids to enjoy the pool. And I just read this!!!!

The Stormalong Bay pool slide will be closed to guests beginning May 2 until late in May. The rest of the Stormalong Bay pool complex, including the kiddie slide and pool, will remain open. Guests at the Yacht and Beach Club can use the large water slide at the Luna Park pool at the Boardwalk Resort. Shuttle transportation will be available.

Can someone confirm and/or tell me this is not a big deal?
12/12 - POR
10/12 - AoA
04/12 - POP
02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
11/11 - All Star Vacation Home & FWC
5/11 - POFQ - D23 Destination D
05/10 - POR & BC
1976 - 1st visit & many childhood visits after!!!

Please Support INTERCOT By Supporting Our Sponsors:
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Cast Member

Okay...so I'm looking for pics of this slide. I have little ones, it *looks* like maybe that would have been too much for them anyway? Is the rest of the pool still open? My oldest is actually 9, but still a bit of a chicken in the water. Is there an age/size limit on the kiddie slide?
12/12 - POR
10/12 - AoA
04/12 - POP
02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
05/10 - POR & BC
Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Cast Member

it reay irks me that WDW travel didn't tell me that when I booked it TODAY!!! :-(
12/12 - POR
10/12 - AoA
04/12 - POP
02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
05/10 - POR & BC
Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Cast Member

The main slide may have been too much for the little ones, depending on how little. I can't recall if they post a limit on the kids slide but I can tell your our younger ones (3) loved it and our 11 year old probably used it until he was 9. I don't think they will care if your 9 year old rides it.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

We were there a few years ago during a rehab. The entire pool was affected, but they closed and opened it in sections. The large slide re-opened while were there and although my daughter used it, as a parent, I hated it. I would walk her across the public pathway to the stairs for the slide entrance, then run back to wait for her at the slide exit into the pool. Not fun at all. She actually only went down it a few times, because she said it hurt her back a little bit and she didn't really like the enclosed section of the slide.

Please visit our Sponsors
Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
as a parent, I hated it. I would walk her across the public pathway to the stairs for the slide entrance, then run back to wait for her at the slide exit into the pool. Not fun at all.
You know what would have been fun? And easier? If you went down the slide after her!

That's how we roll when we stay at resorts with water slides.

Seriously, though, the large slide is NOT suitable for kids under, about 5. The kids CANNOT go down that slide with any sort of flotation device on. They have to be a STRONG swimmer in order to escape the current at the end of the slide UNASSISTED. You cannot wait at the bottom and "catch" them.

The kiddie slide and pool at the back of the ship is not affected by this rehab, and that should be plenty fun for your little ones (my four year old LOVED it, because he couldn't go down the big slide with his brother, since he's not an independent swimmer yet).

The rest of the pool is STILL completely awesome, and worth staying at BC/YC, so don't feel badly.

While our sons loved the slides, what they loved MORE was that HUGE sandy play pool for the kids. We spent the majority of our time in that area.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
You know what would have been fun? And easier? If you went down the slide after her!
Maybe if it wasn't a cold December day, I would have considered that an option .

Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
Maybe if it wasn't a cold December day, I would have considered that an option .
Ha ha! Well, I have to argue that as awesome as SAB is, I don't think it would be REMOTELY "fun" on a cold December day.

Kids are crazy!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Cast Member

We received a note a couple weeks ago saying this would happen during our May trip. Having stayed at the boardwalk before I would tell you to walk to their pool. My kids LOVE the water slide there and I think its great as well. I think its much longer too.
Dec 08 BWV
Apr 09 SSR
Nov 09 BWV
May 10 BCV
Nov 10 BWV
May 12 BCV
Oct 12 BLT
Apr 13 BWV
Jun 13 AKL kidani
Old 05-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Team INTERCOT Cast Member

I can't follow Disney's thinking sometimes. The Stormalong Bay pool is incredibly popular and they're going to close it during a great weather month? Why don't they do it it January after the New Year when its 52 degrees out and nobody wants to go swimming anyway.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Cast Member

We went "off-season" to All-Star Movie once and did not know before that the Fantasia pool (by our room) was refurb. They had another pool across the complex but --- I wish Disney would be better at disclosing pool refurbs since that is a big part of a resort experience that you have paid for.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
Why don't they do it it January after the New Year when its 52 degrees out and nobody wants to go swimming anyway.
Considering that they've scheduled pool rehabs in the past during the colder months, I have to imagine that this is something that can't be put off that long.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Cast Member

My daughter was 4 when we first stayed at the BC resort. She absoluatelty loved the water slide (I would go down first and than she would follow, so I could make sure that she was able to swim out of the way in time for the next person coming down not to run into her). Yes, she would be disappointed if we went back and the slide was closed, but the rest of the pool is great and a lot of fun on its own.

We used to go to WDW quite often in the winter months and on 2 occasions stayed at resorts where the main pool was closed for refurb. Of course, like you said, they never tell you this when you book your room. At least you'll still be able to use the pool without having to take all your things and grab a bus just to swim at a themed pool.

I never did ask, but I wonder if Disney would give a discount due a pool or a main slide being closed. It couldn't hurt to ask.

No matter what you decide, I know you'll have a great time!

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
I can't follow Disney's thinking sometimes. The Stormalong Bay pool is incredibly popular and they're going to close it during a great weather month? Why don't they do it it January after the New Year when its 52 degrees out and nobody wants to go swimming anyway.
They are not closing the whole pool. They are, literally, JUST closing the big slide.

It's probably an issue that came up suddenly, and they wanted to fix it in time for the busy summer season.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Senior Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
They are not closing the whole pool. They are, literally, JUST closing the big slide.

It's probably an issue that came up suddenly, and they wanted to fix it in time for the busy summer season.
I agree with you -- they are not closing the whole pool. My letter stated the "large slide" would reopen sometime in late May.

12/14-12/19 BWVs
2/14/15-2/21/15 BWVs

Share This Thread On Social Media: