Quantcast Episode 33 - We Crank Because We Care

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Episode 33 - We Crank Because We Care

The INTERCOT Insider Live PodcastEpisode 33 - We Crank Because We Care

The Cast: Ian, Melanie, Gary & John

- Unfortunately, we didn’t make our deadline

- Sports talk starts the show and a Bake McBride reference

- John got sick

- NextGen latest rumors - cutting wait times?

- What’s wrong with being spontaneous

- Was this really Walt’s vision?

- Eisner’s vision

- Levels of frustration & what’s a vacation

- The Disney evangelists

- Do the people really want NextGen?

- The simplicity of an old theme park experience & Knobels Grove

- Crowds all the time

- Florida Orange Bird

- A hologram of Anita Bryant

- We rehash the merchandising debate and are hopeful of the direction clothing wise

- Poo poo and eating your words

- DVC @ Fort Wilderness, Gary has feelings - he says leave it alone

- STOLPort - check it out on Google Earth says Gary

- DVC in the parks? *Disney’s America mention

- Ian staying in the castle - AGAIN

- Staying in the Haunted Mansion & Haunted Mansion themed rooms?

- Mel stayed in a Pirates Room and gives a review

- Test Track refurb - the horrible Test Track All-Stars acapella group covering the closure.

- A clown making balloon animals would be more entertaining.

- John approves of the kerning in the new Test Track logo

- Gary suggests a cross promotion with the Shriners

- Thanks to @inbloomphoto who wanted to know - Best of Special Effects. *Ian loves Haunted Mansion, Gary’s a fan of the sense of smell - goes with scents such as Spaceship Earth and Soarin’, Melanie likes the Bride Room in the Haunted Mansion. John goes with the classic Peter Pan and flying over London.

- Ian suggests they stop firing movie people and fire the publicity department instead.

-Tom Hanks to play Walt Disney?

- Prime pick of the week from Gary - Jonah Man: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935439480/intercotcom

- Visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

>> LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, LOVE, TELL A FRIEND!...
    Last edited by John; 05-17-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, it's up! Next taping is this Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Something to listen to at work tomorrow!
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

My best of special effects would be how Disney is able to synchronize the beat of music to practically anything. IE: The dancing fountain in Epcot. The Magic Memories and you projection on the Castle. The strobe effects, fireworks and light shows during Wishes, Illimunations, etc. That is by far my favorite special effect

Now, off to listen to the podcast!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Just Finished listening. Thanks for another good one. It's funny. We have started to vacation elsewhere already. We used to go a few times a year and we have cut back to one.

I just watched some of the test track all stars. I'm embarrassed for them. Come on Disney, you could do much better.

I love the idea of DVC in world showcase. As long as it doesn't affect the current skyline.

Hopefully, fast pass+ turns out to be positive. Time will tell.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

I for one would like to hear someone talk about some of the positives that could come from this Next Gen technology. Everyone seems really negative about it and I have to wonder if it isn't the squeeky wheel syndrome because that is who is making the most noise.

I don't want to plan every aspect of my vacation which is why my family only plans 1 or 2 ADR the entire trip - and to the resturants that won't charge me $10.00 if I cancel the same day (now there is a policy I can get on my soapbox about). That being said - we also hardly ever ride Soarin because it is hard for us to make it to opening and I hate the dash factor of getting to that ride to secure a Fast Pass - neither of my kids ride the ride so to take us out of the way to get the fast pass and return and ride later is annoying. So the idea of saying okay - I know we will go to Epcot on this day and I will secure a Fastpass for Soarin is somewhat appealing. Of course you are going to have many Disney Fans take this to the 10th degree.

As I said though - I would love to hear perhaps some ways that this could be a positive instead of the negative that many people assume it is going to be.

As far as favorite special effect - the Magic Memories and You took my breath away with how great it turned out. Lets face it - it could have sucked. But they did a great job and even brought a little tear to my eye on our last trip with the effect of the laterns from Tangled on the castle (my favorite scene).

I do not believe the Orange Bird shirt with the ice cream cone is avaiable. the guy designed a shirt but that is not one you can purchase. To bad to because I like it.

Right now my kids love Disney and we can vacation during off peak times. When it gets to the point where they don't and we can't - then we will try vacationing other places. Despite all the negatives once I'm in the Disney Bubble I'm a happy gal.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

We like to be spontaneous on Disney trips. We don't even plan what park we are going to until we get there and most of the time the day before. I am not one of those people who like to plan details, I just like to do whatever whenever I feel. I have to follow a schedule the rest of the year for work and don't want to have to do it on vacation.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting patiently for the podcast to be available on iTunes...

Meanwhile, Septbride, on the NextGen subject: I've got mixed feelings, but let's face it, if it's coming, we best adapt. That being said, I'm a planner, but I like to keep my plans flexible. I can see the advantage in getting to book rides like Toy Story Mania, Soarin, and Splash Mountain would be ideal, since the stress of getting to them early can really wear you down.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    My best of special effects would be how Disney is able to synchronize the beat of music to practically anything. IE: The dancing fountain in Epcot. The Magic Memories and you projection on the Castle. The strobe effects, fireworks and light shows during Wishes, Illimunations, etc. That is by far my favorite special effect
    I saw this fascinating documentary back right after Reflections of Earth debuted that showed how they created the show. I would assume it was on the Travel Channel or something, but it was really neat.

Basically they had these two fireworks guys sitting in a room with a computer listening to the soundtrack. They could pick out what type of firework(s) they wanted and then, as the soundtrack played, they just hit a button on the PC and it marked that as the exact moment they wanted the shell to display. I would assume the system them worked backwards and accounted for the launch time to ensure the shell detonated at the correct time in synch with the music.

Haven't seen that show since and I really wish I could find it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Waiting patiently for the podcast to be available on iTunes...

Meanwhile, Septbride, on the NextGen subject: I've got mixed feelings, but let's face it, if it's coming, we best adapt. That being said, I'm a planner, but I like to keep my plans flexible. I can see the advantage in getting to book rides like Toy Story Mania, Soarin, and Splash Mountain would be ideal, since the stress of getting to them early can really wear you down.
    I like being flexible as well (which is why like Ian we no longer make a ton of ADRs) but is there a big difference from planning to be at rope drop, made the mad dash to Soarin/TSM/etc to get fast passes OR you can secure your fastpass from home on a day you know you will be at that park? That way instead of the mad dash in the morning you can walk calmly towards Nemo and Friends

~Amanda

Post Thanks / Like

I looked this morning and I see it on iTunes

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for everyone on the panel, but I know my negativity, as discussed on the other thread regarding this, comes from the complete lack of official information on this from beginning to end. It's been a PR mess! And sorry, what I've seen proposed (as rumor or whatever) isn't to my liking, especially looking at it from a "local" perspective. So yeah, while everyone on the east coast is adapting and accepting, I'm going to Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I saw this fascinating documentary back right after Reflections of Earth debuted that showed how they created the show. I would assume it was on the Travel Channel or something, but it was really neat.

Basically they had these two fireworks guys sitting in a room with a computer listening to the soundtrack. They could pick out what type of firework(s) they wanted and then, as the soundtrack played, they just hit a button on the PC and it marked that as the exact moment they wanted the shell to display. I would assume the system them worked backwards and accounted for the launch time to ensure the shell detonated at the correct time in synch with the music.

Haven't seen that show since and I really wish I could find it.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info! That kind of show is right up dbf and I's alley. Going to have to see if I can find it on the youtubes!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Like has been said a billion times. We just don't know what the deal is with NextGen and that's the frustrating part.

Ian pretty much hit it. A billion dollars. You don't spend a billion dollars without expecting to make more than a billion dollars. And it has to be quite a significant amount more based on the risk and opportunity cost.

For comparison, Minnesota just laid the plans for a new state of the art stadium for the Vikings at the cost of 900 million dollars. This is more than a new stadium. For what? RFID chips? Advance dining orders? Scheduling rides? Say what now? How does that make sense? There's much more here than we know and Disney has their lips sealed about it - to the point where people are getting angry because none of this makes any sense.

Where's the money going to come from? What exactly is a billion freaking dollars being spent on? There's more here than "Hmm we think can draw more people into the parks with interactive queues, advance food orders, paying a dining bill by swiping your bracelet, and reserving times for watching parades and riding rides." We just don't know what it is.

And if all this turns out to be a complex pay for play system such as "Hey pay 10 bucks and you can schedule your ride time for Soarin'!" people are going to be beyond ticked off. I'm concerned that's what it's going to be now due to the silence coming from Disney Corp. on the issue.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I can't speak for everyone on the panel, but I know my negativity, as discussed on the other thread regarding this, comes from the complete lack of official information on this from beginning to end. It's been a PR mess! And sorry, what I've seen proposed (as rumor or whatever) isn't to my liking, especially looking at it from a "local" perspective. So yeah, while everyone on the east coast is adapting and accepting, I'm going to Disneyland!
    I agree that PR has left much to be desired. Makes you wonder if the initial back lash has caused them to go back to the drawing board.

~Amanda

Post Thanks / Like

Best part of the podcast

"We crank because we care" said in the "It's not a board room fellas" voice.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness, every time I hear the "It's Not A Boardroom Fellas" voice I bust out laughing!!! I must look like an idiot to other cars on the road -- like I'm a crazy lady maniacally laughing behind the wheel as I drive!

Hey, I'm @inbloomphoto, by the way! You guys are right: I'm definitely a "SHE" and I do love Duran Duran! lol You can also call me Carolyn. Ian stole my favorite special effect, so I will say my NEW favorite is when you're going down the hallway in Haunted Mansion where there are portraits on the wall, but every time the lightning strikes the portraits change into something sinister.... Haunted Mansion is JUST. SO. DARN. GOOD!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

This episode would have been better if I had been mentioned at least once.

1 of 5 stars.
    Gary's Column, esq
    The World's Best and Only
    1st Trip: 1982
    Most Recent Trip: Every Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The INTERCOT Insider Live PodcastEpisode 33 - We Crank Because We Care

- The simplicity of an old theme park experience & Knobels Grove

- We rehash the merchandising debate and are hopeful of the direction clothing wise
    Speaking of Knobels Grove - Dollywood is another one of those nice old parks that is still fun to go to. They are really working on theming and actually builsing new rides (what a concept!)

Also, as far as the homogonization of merchandise, I first started noticing this is the "Disney Parks" vacation planning DVDs. No matter what you requested, they sent this kind of all inclusive DVD that was pretty lame and low on content, unless you like people telling you over and over that Disney World is in Florida and Disneyland is in California (of course, some people do mess that up still)

I'm holding out on the NextGen debate but if it's like you think it will be, we won't step foot in WDW again.

Good podcast as always. Thanks.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

I'm mostly with you guys on the NexGen thing, but a part of me is secretly STOKED that I might be able to reserve a specific time to ride some stuff. My kids are notoriously choosy when it comes to Disney rides due to their autism/sensory issues, and as much as we are there "to have fun as a family", a little part of me dies every time I have to walk by Expedition Everest or Splash Mountain (or any of my other favorites) and not ride.

I would love to be able to make select ride reservations, and show up, get on by myself and then we can be on our merry way as a family in a matter of a few minutes. The way it is now, we just have to skip the stuff WE (DH and I) want to do, or else spend a lot of time waiting around for each other while the other one stays with the kids.

Soooo, I might be the first person on Intercot to say that the ability to make ride reservations is VERY appealing to me, from a purely selfish standpoint.

As for special effects, overall, the Haunted Mansion is just one big, awesome special effect. I will also say, although I don't love the ride, the effect of the Nemo characters swimming around in the lagoon at Disneyland in the Finding Nemo submarine ride is pretty darn cool.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: