Quantcast Swan/Dolphin: which is better?? - INTERCOT Boards

Find out the latest news, information and rumours covering all of the Walt Disney World Resort. Draw on the combined knowledge of thousands of users in planning you next Walt Disney World vacation.  Ask questions, get answers, make new friends! Information on the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Blizard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and more! Detailed information and recommendations on Walt Disney World official and off property resorts, hotels & accomodations. NTERCOT's information central featuring Walt Disney World phone numbers, tips and FAQ's. INTERCOT's own store featuring INTERCOT apparel, Disney video and DVD's, travel planning books, CD's and more. INTERCOT's Disney World interactive section featuring software, the INTERCOT Insider newsletter, Walt Disney World Web Postcards and much more.

ICOT Sponsors
magical journeys travel agency
quicksilver tours & transportation
all star vacation rental homes
timeshare store DVC resales
sheraton vistana resort
buy theme park / attraction tickets
universal orlando resortAdvertisement
Strollers and Groceries
INTERCOT store

ICOT Affiliates
amazon.com
disney art
& posters
disney checks
disney store
buy one share of disney stock

priceline.com

proflowers.com

News
site search
headlines
past updates
discussion boards
email update

ICOT Other
advertising
sponsors
link to us
contact us

INTERCOT Boards  

Go Back   INTERCOT Boards > Resorts & Dining > Accommodations

Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Cast Member

Default Swan/Dolphin: which is better??

Looking at booking a trip in mid-July and the prices for rooms at the Dolphin/Swan hotels are very inviting ($129/night). We usually use the dining plan, but I've figured out the individual costs of paying for meals separate and its not that much of an upcharge for us becuase we're not huge eaters and wouldn't miss some of the extras you get with the dining plan. My girls are 11 and 8 so I don't think they'd miss any Disney feel as we spend most of the time in the parks anyways. I was looking for the pros/cons of both the Dophin and Swan and which one is preferred for a family of 4.
POFQ-July 2008
POFQ-May 2006
ASM-Dec 2004
Offsite-Dec 2003, Mar 2002
New Years Eve 1999!!

Please Support INTERCOT By Supporting Our Sponsors:
Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

I've only stayed at the Dolphin, but I have been in both. Of the two, I would say the Dolphin would be my pick, especially traveling with kids. It's bright, whimsical, has a great gift shop- very Disney- and the 24 hour Picabu quick service, which is very handy. The Swan seemed a little more elegant and dimly lit, though still whimsical and fine for families. You can't go wrong for that price in that location either way. Great location! And rooms were spacious with comfortable beds. I prefer it to the Disney moderates, and would even pick the Dolphin over the Beach Club, having now stayed at both.
Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981

Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Imagineer

We have not stayed at the Dolphin but have stayed at the Swan many times. We love the location n the queen sized beds!

I would stay at either without hesitation!

Please visit our Wonderful Sponsors!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Cast Member

The Swan has queen beds, the Dolphin has only double beds. The Dolphin is in dire need of some refurbishments in the rooms, IMO. The Swan is nicer. You pay $10-$20 more a night at the Swan but it's worth it IMO.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Cast Member

Where are you looking for those rates? That's awesome. We are looking to stay next November and have never stayed at either of these as well...but at those rates, I might look into it!!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
INTERCOT Management Team

We've stayed at the Swan twice and loved both stays. To me though, it just seems like one big resort. The queen beds would be a deciding factor for me. I wouldn't worry about losing the Disney feel, as it's so close to Boardwalk and Epcot.

Next Up:
Disneyland - Oct '14 - Fall Senorita/ICOT Trip
WDW - Nov '14 - Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend
WDW - Jan '15 - Marathon Weekend/#runICOT
Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 PM
INTERCOT Guest

I also would like to know where you found those rates? Wasn't considering going this year but if I can find rates like this, I may reconsider
Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Imagineer

Arrow

We've stayed at both the Swan and Dolphin. With the main counter service dining location and the ice cream/soda shop located in the Dolphin, you may find it more convenient. The Dolphin also has a much larger, dramatic lobby which your children may enjoy.

The only drawback could be the higher traffic in the Dolphin due to more convention folks staying there. We apparently stayed there during a fairly large convention and found the public areas always considerably crowded; although this was only a minor detraction to our stay, we found that the Swan did not share this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiermickey
I also would like to know where you found those rates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaJ91
Where are you looking for those rates?
As the Swan & Dolphin are one of our Sponsors, you can follow the link in the upper right corner of this forum for their rates page.

In addition to various limited time specials and packages offered through-out the year, the Swan & Dolphin also offers special rates for:
Dining
Vacations Beyond Disney

~Its what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Team INTERCOT Cast Member

We have stayed at the Dolphin many times and for the price and location it is worth it. We have found if you call for a reservation rather than book on-line the CM found an even cheaper price. They also suggested to call when the time gets closer because sometimes the price goes down due to occupancy.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Senior Cast Member

The Dolphin is much bigger (1500 rooms vs. 850) and more bustling, with a larger and more impressive lobby, more interesting architecture, more shops, more restaurants (and better restaurants), while the Swan is quieter and more understated, more like an upscale hotel outside of Disney. If you are going for a balcony room, the Dolphin has more rooms with balconies, and many of them have much better views than most of the Swan's balcony rooms. (The Swan has quite a few balcony rooms that overlook an interior courtyard, rather than the exterior grounds.)

However, in addition to the double bed vs. queen bed difference others have noted, the Swan's bathrooms are significantly bigger than the Dolphin's, and you have two sinks - one in the bathroom itself, and one in the dressing area outside the bathroom. The Dolphin's bathroom is really very small - there's only room for a toilet and bath, and it all fits very tightly. (The only sink is in a long, narrow dressing area outside the bathroom.) The rooms at the Swan seem slightly bigger, but not by much.

I've stayed at both the Swan and Dolphin many times - the Dolphin is my favorite hotel at Disney! While I prefer the Dolphin, with 4 people the Swan's beds, bathroom and sinks may be more important to you.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

Don't forget, Swan/Dolphin are not Disney owned an operated, so if it matters, you need to arrange our own transport from the airport and then to the airport. I don't know if they have any RAC desk either, so you'll have your luggage with you both ways.

Something to consider... The location is great, I prefer BC over most other resorts (except AKL). Swan/Dolphin are just a hop, skip and a jump away.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 AM

You can bring your luggage over to the airport check-in at the Yacht club if you don't want to cart it to the airport on the return trip.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Cast Member

I just stayed at the Swan over Christmas (my 4th stay there). We have always picked the Swan over the Dolphin because of the queen-sized beds and the bigger bathrooms. The convenience of having one sink outside the bathroom and one inside the bathroom is immense when more than 2 people are sharing a room. I highly recommend both hotels though as the location and the price (as compared to the nearby Disney hotels) is excellent.
Feb/Mar 2013 (Beach Club)
Dec 2011 (Swan)
Mar 2011 (Beach Club)
Jan 2010 (Yacht Club)
Sept 2008 (Polynesian)
Mar 2008 (Beach Club)
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Senior Cast Member

Sounds like a great rate but isn't there a daily resort fee as well? We stayed at the Swan once and liked it and location is great.

9/14-9/18 BWVs
12/14-12/19 BWVs
2/14/15-2/21/15 BWVs
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
Sounds like a great rate but isn't there a daily resort fee as well? We stayed at the Swan once and liked it and location is great.
The mandatory resort service package is $14/day + tax.
8/14-Coronado Springs & Disney Dream, 10/12-ICOT15-Pop, 8/12-Music, 3/12-Pop, 11-12/10-Pop, 6/07-Disneyland offsite, 9/04-Riverside, 11-12/03-Movies & Wilderness Lodge, 10/01-French Quarter & Movies, 4/00-Movies, 9/94-Beach Club
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM

while we love staying at Swan or Dolphin, another thing to consider is if you have a car, you will pay to park there during your stay.

Share This Thread On Social Media: