Quantcast Driving and EZ Pass

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving and EZ Pass

We are driving from Philly to Disney and we have a Pa EZ Pass. Will that work for all of the tolls driving down and the tolls in the disney area?

I am trying to think of all the little things about driving so I make sure I have everything covered before hitting the road in July.

Thanks So Much

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It will NOT work in Florida. SunPass is not part of the EZPass network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, Florida's system is different so you'd need a Sunpass transponder.

I know some people on here have pre-bought a Sunpass transponder and used that when they came down, but by the time they go online, order it, stick it on, use it while in FL, remove it, get their refund for unused $$ and deposit that $$ back into their bank account they've spent more time goofing around with the whole process than they would have to just make the half dozen toll plaza stops. Even if you're an annual visitor the more efficient method is probably going to be to make the stops. If you do a significant amount of driving in the area (i.e. trips to Miami and back via the turnpike) or live in the area for part of the year it probably makes sense at that point to get the trandponder.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

There are actually two different systems in Florida - - SunPass and EPass. They both work on all the toll roads in the state. Why two different systems that do the same thing, you ask? Answer =

Neither one works outside Florida, and transponders from other areas of the country don't work here.

SunPass can be bought at most Publix grocery stores, at the rest stops along the toll roads, and many other locations. I don't understand why anyone would want to scrap it and seek a refund after a trip. Just don't deposit much more than you think you'll be using, leave a small balance on the account, and use the transponder for your next trip.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunpass

Driving down to DISNEY from NC, we always use the 417 Toll Road on I-4 at Sanford, Fl and drops you off at the Main Gate to Disney. It By Passes the Orlando traffic and is a hidden secret to get to the World.
    Last year I ordered the simple stick on SUNPASS and loaded it with enough $$$ to get me down and back. It was great to stay up at speed at all the toll booths. It was easy to order online, just stick to windshield and drive straight thru the booths in the far LEFT lane at 55+ miles an hour.
    I will get another when we drive down this December.
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy1122 View Post
    We are driving from Philly to Disney and we have a Pa EZ Pass. Will that work for all of the tolls driving down and the tolls in the disney area?

I am trying to think of all the little things about driving so I make sure I have everything covered before hitting the road in July.

Thanks So Much
    Hello fellow bucks countian ! we use our ezpass all the way to florida. we just pay the tolls in florida out of pocket. we will be doing this again in july !! woohoo
    1994 french quarter-port orleans
    2002 all star movies
    2003 all star movies
    2004 wilderness lodge
    2005 french quarter/disney wonder
    2007 polynesian ( cancelled )
    2008 wilderness lodge
    2010 polynesian
    2012 disney dream

Post Thanks / Like

No. However their online service is fast. If you are driving locally, the Florida pass is nice.
    The regular one used suction cups so it is easy to remove. I have not tried the 1 trip stick version, but it sounds like others have. We only go every other year, but I like my pass. Have a great trip.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat willy View Post
    Driving down to DISNEY from NC, we always use the 417 Toll Road on I-4 at Sanford, Fl and drops you off at the Main Gate to Disney. It By Passes the Orlando traffic and is a hidden secret to get to the World.
    Last year I ordered the simple stick on SUNPASS and loaded it with enough $$$ to get me down and back. It was great to stay up at speed at all the toll booths. It was easy to order online, just stick to windshield and drive straight thru the booths in the far LEFT lane at 55+ miles an hour.
    I will get another when we drive down this December.
    What is the total toll $$ from Sanford to WDW on 417? I am thinking about using it for my August trip.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    What is the total toll $$ from Sanford to WDW on 417? I am thinking about using it for my August trip.
    From I-4 to Exit 3 (Disney) the total is $6.50, or $5.75 if using SunPass. There are five toll plazas plus an exit toll booth along this route.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    From I-4 to Exit 3 (Disney) the total is $6.50, or $5.75 if using SunPass. There are five toll plazas plus an exit toll booth along this route.

Thanks!!
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you do choose to use the 417 route, there are no tolls after you get throught baltimore on 95 and route 4 in florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Re: the "stick-on" transponders, there is no need to discard them after your trip and buy another for your next trip. They are reloadable indefinitely, and use RFID technology - - no batteries to run down. On the downside, they cannot be moved from vehicle to vehicle and are no longer usable if you peel them off the windshield.

The best option, IMHO, is the regular SunPass that sticks to the windshield with suction cups. The new ones also use RFID (no batteries) and you can use them in more than one vehicle. All you have to do is go on the SunPass website and list the vehicle you are using it in. That also gives you the option to set a specific range of dates valid for that vehicle. We just did so this weekend when we used a friend's vehicle for a trip.

If you take 417 from I-4 to Exit 6 (International Drive exit, which becomes World Drive right onto WDW property if you continue straight instead of turning onto Int'l Drive at the end of the exit ramp) your toll would be $5.50.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Can you use a Sunpass with a rental car? Are there toll plazas that dont have the option to stop and pay? The car rental company will charge me $25 plus toll for every plaza I dont stop at or rent me a Sunpass for $8 per day. I am looking to find the most economical way.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedMuggy View Post
    Can you use a Sunpass with a rental car? Are there toll plazas that dont have the option to stop and pay? The car rental company will charge me $25 plus toll for every plaza I dont stop at or rent me a Sunpass for $8 per day. I am looking to find the most economical way.
    Was just about to ask about rentals too. The rental company says that billing by plate kicks in once you drive through an epass lane. The daily price is ridiculous. Does the transponder override the by plate billing?
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

You can use it with rental cars. But you'll need to register that car on the Sunpass website. When you do so, there is a check box that asks if it is a rental car; check that box, register the vehicle (tag #, make, model and color) and specify the start and end dates and you're good to go. All that can be done on a smartphone.
    Ed

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: