Quantcast Which Wheelchairs?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Wheelchairs?

Hi all it has been a while since I posted. I would really like your recommendations for wheelchair rentals. On our upcoming trip both DH and DD's BF will need to use wheelchairs at least part of the time. DD's BF will need to be able to take his to the room, so I figure we will do both rentals the same. But which company do I rent from. What experiences have you had? Thanks in advance
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We rented my Mom an ECV from Buena Vista Scooters and was pleased with the experience.

They had the ECV waiting at the resort when we checked-in, and we had no issues with it for the whole trip. We charged the battery at night, and it lasted all day without issue. They do rent wheelchairs (both power and push).

When we left, we left the ECV at bell services, and they picked it up. Again, no issues.

It was much cheaper than renting from Disney, and she got to use it as the resort, which she needed.

I don't know if you want a wheelchair, or an ECV. Although the ECV is more expensive, it gives them much more freedom as well, since it doesn't need to be pushed.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there in 04, my mother and MIL, both needed wheel chairs. We stayed at ASMusic and the resort gave us 2 chairs to use free of charge for the entire trip. Each resort has several chairs on hand and if they run out they will transfer one from another resort. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of free chairs at the resorts. My concern is that DD's BF may need to use it to go to the bus in the morning. I would prefer to have both chairs on hand in the rooms, just in case. When I go online there are several rental places to choose from and I would like to know what companies do other intercotees recommend/use? I don't mean to sound picky but both DH and BF have medical conditions that may require the use of a chair all day. Thanks for your help
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Two companies besides the one recommended already is Walker's and Randy's. I would google them.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

i heard about the free wheelchairs...i wanted one for my mom...i called the pop century hotel and the lady told me that you could only use the chairs at the hotel itself, and just to transfer to and from your room....but others have told me you get them for the entire trip...
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Ransam,

The person you talked to is correct. They are meant for around the resort only, but people do take them to the parks.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Things may have changed since we used a resort-loaner wheelchair in 2002, but we were encouraged to use it throughout the Disney World Resort (which includes the parks), not just our hotel resort.

I would also recommend CARE. I've used them twice or three times in the past and their equipment was clean and in good working order. I'm not sure about now, but at one point Walker and CARE were recommended by Disney.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds as if their policy has changed, but we were able to borrow a wheelchair from our resort (CBR) for use throughout WDW on several different trips. But these trips were over 8 years ago.

(Now that I think about it, I remember seeing Disney wheelchairs at the Orlando airport on occasion. I wonder if this is the reason for the change.)

We have also rented from CARE on several trips and were very pleased with their service. Each time, the wheelchair was waiting for us at our resort when we checked in - several times at CBR and once at SoG.

We did have a problem with the wheelchair on one trip which required a service call. They were prompt, the wheelchair was repaired and waiting for us at the time promised, and we were very pleased with their service.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Last night, I just booked an ECV for myself from Apple Scooters.Much cheaper than the other places.
    Same deal: free pick up and delivery at your resort, all for 30% less $$$.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: