Quantcast Is This Even Possible Anymore?.... - Page 2 - INTERCOT Boards

Find out the latest news, information and rumours covering all of the Walt Disney World Resort. Draw on the combined knowledge of thousands of users in planning you next Walt Disney World vacation.  Ask questions, get answers, make new friends! Information on the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Blizard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and more! Detailed information and recommendations on Walt Disney World official and off property resorts, hotels & accomodations. NTERCOT's information central featuring Walt Disney World phone numbers, tips and FAQ's. INTERCOT's own store featuring INTERCOT apparel, Disney video and DVD's, travel planning books, CD's and more. INTERCOT's Disney World interactive section featuring software, the INTERCOT Insider newsletter, Walt Disney World Web Postcards and much more.

ICOT Sponsors
magical journeys travel agency
quicksilver tours & transportation
all star vacation rental homes
timeshare store DVC resales
sheraton vistana resort
buy theme park / attraction tickets
universal orlando resortAdvertisement
Strollers and Groceries
INTERCOT store

ICOT Affiliates
amazon.com
disney art
& posters
disney checks
disney store
buy one share of disney stock

priceline.com

proflowers.com

News
site search
headlines
past updates
discussion boards
email update

ICOT Other
advertising
sponsors
link to us
contact us

INTERCOT Boards  

Go Back   INTERCOT Boards > Resorts & Dining > Accommodations

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

you can do it....we have done it...and you can ask if there are any discounts available...be sure if you are AAA, to mention that...but also be aware that, as others have said, this is not the best way to get a good price.
CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Team INTERCOT Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANAM View Post
We kind of did that last July. I had to drive to pick something up for work in Oscala so we said hey maybe we should got to MK for a day. I called around 7pm on a Wednesday and made reservations at Pop for the next day for Thursday until Saturday. Thursday morning at 7am when we were driving to Disney I called and got reservations at 'Ohana Friday night for 5 people at 7:30. I was so shocked when the reservationist was like how is 7:30! I am a serious planner and never thought I could do a last minute trip but I ended up great. There is hope for the unplanned traveler at Disney. Although, I doubt if I ever got the opportunity again it would work out that great!
Very cool!
00,01,02 Sp
03 CBR 25
04 Pop,ASM,AKL
05 Sp
06 Pop,CBR,Pop
07 Sp/Dol,CBR
08 CBR,GF 30
09MU,CBR Pir/POR,Poly

10 CBR Pir,Poly
Jan 11 Mu

May 11Ret! Dol
Dec 11 Pop
May 12 ASM
Jul 12 CBR
NOV AoA Gr.Pr 1st
Aug 35 Pol
POP Jan
May CBR
ASM Aug
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Senior Cast Member

Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? No.

WDW is a marathon, not a sprint. Planning, reservations, checking rates...all these go into making a good trip. So many things are out of our control (weather, crowds...), but some things are in our control. God give you the grace to know the difference.
2006 – June - Saratoga Springs
2007 – July – Saratoga Springs
2010 – February - Caribbean Beach Resort
2010 – October – AKL Jambo House
2011 - July - Old Key West
Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpasssteve View Post
Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? No.

WDW is a marathon, not a sprint. Planning, reservations, checking rates...all these go into making a good trip. So many things are out of our control (weather, crowds...), but some things are in our control. God give you the grace to know the difference.
I'll agree to disagree on this one. It's also about the magic of being impulsive and childlike, for me. I would grab and go in a heartbeat. As you can see I've planned for years, and had great experiences, but this still appeals to me.
00,01,02 Sp
03 CBR 25
04 Pop,ASM,AKL
05 Sp
06 Pop,CBR,Pop
07 Sp/Dol,CBR
08 CBR,GF 30
09MU,CBR Pir/POR,Poly

10 CBR Pir,Poly
Jan 11 Mu

May 11Ret! Dol
Dec 11 Pop
May 12 ASM
Jul 12 CBR
NOV AoA Gr.Pr 1st
Aug 35 Pol
POP Jan
May CBR
ASM Aug
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Senior Imagineer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpasssteve View Post
Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? No.

Couldn't disagree more. It's a vacation not a software build that requires a 339 line MS Project Plan.

The best trips ever are the ones that are spontaneous and unplanned. Maybe you don't get on every ride or every attraction (and really I couldn't care less since I've been on them all 100 times anyway), but you're there when you didn't expect to be and that's worth 1,000 times more than an Excel spreadsheet.

Next trips:

January 2015 - Art of Animation

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 AM

I am sure it could be done. It sounds like a blast. You might not be able to stay exactly where you want to stay or eat at the more poplular places but it can still be done I'm sure.

I never eat at 'Ohana and still manage to enjoy my trip.

Some of our favorite places to eat are some of the ones that seem to be less popular.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's a vacation not a software build that requires a 339 line MS Project Plan.

The best trips ever are the ones that are spontaneous and unplanned. Maybe you don't get on every ride or every attraction (and really I couldn't care less since I've been on them all 100 times anyway), but you're there when you didn't expect to be and that's worth 1,000 times more than an Excel spreadsheet.
00,01,02 Sp
03 CBR 25
04 Pop,ASM,AKL
05 Sp
06 Pop,CBR,Pop
07 Sp/Dol,CBR
08 CBR,GF 30
09MU,CBR Pir/POR,Poly

10 CBR Pir,Poly
Jan 11 Mu

May 11Ret! Dol
Dec 11 Pop
May 12 ASM
Jul 12 CBR
NOV AoA Gr.Pr 1st
Aug 35 Pol
POP Jan
May CBR
ASM Aug
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Cast Member

I think it really depends on when you go. Our last trip we were going to drive part of the way and spend the night on the road and get up early and drive in. As we got closer to Orlando we stopped at several hotels at several exits and nothing. Gator Nationals in town (drag racing). We then figured we would just go on to Disney. I started calling to get reservations that night and Disney was booked. I even called the hotels in Lake Buena Vista and they were booked. Called several of the larger chain hotels in Orlando and they were booked. finally found a hotel at the turn pike. Not the best hotel but oh well. We had a place to stay. I will never try that again. It was very stressful!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Cast Member

Default Can you drive up without a reservation?

Reading this thread made me think to ask is it possible to just drive over to Pop Century for instance when you have no prior reservation? I'm asking because when I drove there before I of course had already made reservations and when I got there a guy at the gate asked my name and gave me a parking pass to put in the window of my car. I was thinking if I just drove up with nothing he might tell me I can't go in there or something.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetate View Post
Reading this thread made me think to ask is it possible to just drive over to Pop Century for instance when you have no prior reservation? I'm asking because when I drove there before I of course had already made reservations and when I got there a guy at the gate asked my name and gave me a parking pass to put in the window of my car. I was thinking if I just drove up with nothing he might tell me I can't go in there or something.
Just tell him or her why you're there. You'll probably still have to show ID but they should let you in.
8/14-Coronado Springs & Disney Dream, 10/12-ICOT15-Pop, 8/12-Music, 3/12-Pop, 11-12/10-Pop, 6/07-Disneyland offsite, 9/04-Riverside, 11-12/03-Movies & Wilderness Lodge, 10/01-French Quarter & Movies, 4/00-Movies, 9/94-Beach Club
Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetate View Post
I was thinking if I just drove up with nothing he might tell me I can't go in there or something.
Just tell them you want to spend money at the resort... they'll let you in.

INTERCOT Staff: Dining & Movies, TV, etc.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Yes you can!! I just did it during Spring Break. I stayed at the Movies for 3 nights and decided to stay one more night. I called all the off property hotels I could think of that were in my price range and close to Disney property (I was traveling alone with my DS). And they were all booked to capacity. I said let me just try on property and the first place I called was Pop. They had plenty of rooms open. Mind you this was at 1:00AM (we hit the parks all day and figured how hard would it be to grab a room off property for one night) well Thank God Pop was available. I felt very safe all week staying alone with my DS on property and would do it all over again....
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 AM

I think this would be fun. If I didn't live so far away, I would try it. We are an adventurous type of family though. We wouldn't have a set resort in mind or any must do things. Although we do plan out our annual vacation, on small trips around here we will just up and go.

Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
Yes you can!! I just did it during Spring Break. I stayed at the Movies for 3 nights and decided to stay one more night. I called all the off property hotels I could think of that were in my price range and close to Disney property (I was traveling alone with my DS). And they were all booked to capacity. I said let me just try on property and the first place I called was Pop. They had plenty of rooms open. Mind you this was at 1:00AM (we hit the parks all day and figured how hard would it be to grab a room off property for one night) well Thank God Pop was available. I felt very safe all week staying alone with my DS on property and would do it all over again....
Now, this we actually have been able to do. DH got sick on our 30th anniversary trip. We'd gotten a great deal at GF--plus a fantastic upgrade to a lobby room, and we spent most of the time in the room. I was upset the last day, and the concierge, who had been wonderful to us, said that we could stay two more days, with the same great rate, in the same room if we wanted to! Unfortunately my DH just wanted to get home.
00,01,02 Sp
03 CBR 25
04 Pop,ASM,AKL
05 Sp
06 Pop,CBR,Pop
07 Sp/Dol,CBR
08 CBR,GF 30
09MU,CBR Pir/POR,Poly

10 CBR Pir,Poly
Jan 11 Mu

May 11Ret! Dol
Dec 11 Pop