Quantcast Walt and the Promise of Progress City - INTERCOT Boards

Find out the latest news, information and rumours covering all of the Walt Disney World Resort. Draw on the combined knowledge of thousands of users in planning you next Walt Disney World vacation.  Ask questions, get answers, make new friends! Information on the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Blizard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and more! Detailed information and recommendations on Walt Disney World official and off property resorts, hotels & accomodations. NTERCOT's information central featuring Walt Disney World phone numbers, tips and FAQ's. INTERCOT's own store featuring INTERCOT apparel, Disney video and DVD's, travel planning books, CD's and more. INTERCOT's Disney World interactive section featuring software, the INTERCOT Insider newsletter, Walt Disney World Web Postcards and much more.

ICOT Sponsors
magical journeys travel agency
quicksilver tours & transportation
all star vacation rental homes
timeshare store DVC resales
sheraton vistana resort
buy theme park / attraction tickets
universal orlando resortAdvertisement
strollers and groceries
INTERCOT store

ICOT Affiliates
amazon.com
disney art
& posters
disney checks
disney store
buy one share of disney stock

priceline.com

proflowers.com

News
site search
headlines
past updates
discussion boards
email update

ICOT Other
advertising
sponsors
link to us
contact us

INTERCOT Boards  

Go Back   INTERCOT Boards > Disney General > Mousellaneous

Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Imagineer

Default Walt and the Promise of Progress City

Here's my review of Walt and the Promise of Progress City from the January 2012 INTERCOT Insider.

Walt and the Promise of Progress City (Ayefour Publishing, 2011, 373 pages) is a well-written book by Sam Gennawey on the conceptual evolution of EPCOT. Gennawey is an urban planner and this book is written through that lens.

Gennawey takes us through the evolution of Walt’s ideas and projects that eventually led to EPCOT and the Florida Project. It is a different look on things like the World’s Fairs, Disneyland, and other projects that influenced Walt’s thinking on EPCOT. There are some editing errors and sometimes information you’d want is left out. For example, Gennawey says that the Industrial Parks USA exhibit at the 1958 Brussels World Fair influenced Walt’s thinking on EPCOT but he doesn’t say anything about the exhibit to explain that statement.

The finale of the book takes us through a look at EPCOT as if it had been built per Walt’s vision. Gennawey largely relies on the Progress City model for this look. It’s interesting look at the model but the question of whether EPCOT could have been as Walt envisioned is never really tackled or answered.

This is worthwhile addition to any Disney fan’s, especially fans of EPCOT, library. It adds more to the story of Walt Disney World and EPCOT. In fact, it was interesting to read that Walt had wanted to build a Chinese restaurant at Disneyland that would feature an audioanimatronic like Confucius that would pass on words of wisdom to guests. Sounds similar to the Great Destini that was previewed at the 2011 D23 Expo in Anaheim. It does lack an index, so trying to find information in the book itself can be a challenge.

Walt and the Promise of Progress City is available from Amazon; purchasing through this link will help support INTERCOT: http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Promise-P...-1/intercotcom
8/14-Coronado Springs & Disney Dream, 10/12-ICOT15-Pop, 8/12-Music, 3/12-Pop, 11-12/10-Pop, 6/07-Disneyland offsite, 9/04-Riverside, 11-12/03-Movies & Wilderness Lodge, 10/01-French Quarter & Movies, 4/00-Movies, 9/94-Beach Club

Please Support INTERCOT By Supporting Our Sponsors:
Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Cast Member

Red face

Thank you for the review. I had been thinking of buying the book.
Disneyland July 1996
Offsite 2000
AKL 2002
Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
Contemporary Sept 2006
Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008
AKL-Sept 2011
Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
Paradise Pier-DL Aug 2013 and D-23 Expo
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

I got the book for Christmas. I found it to be a very worthwhile read. I do wish that the author would have focused a bit more on Disney and a little less on the urban planning background. I found those sections to be a bit tedious. I can see what the author was trying to do, but I feel that he could have shorted those section somewhat.

All in all, I enjoyed the book very much.

On a slightly off topic note, as the owner of all of Ayefour Publishing's books (as well as just about every other book on WDW History) I wish they would include a few more illustrations

Thanks
Scott C
May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
Dixie Landings
Feb 02 CBR
Feb 03 WL
Jun 07 POP by MJ
July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
Sep 13 Poly (thanks Terrisue/Magic Journeys)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Team INTERCOT Cast Member

I am in the middle of this book and so far have really enjoyed it. I am in the urban planning profession so I enjoy all of those discussions. I credit Disneyland and WDW for my interest in a career in planning. Glad that others have enjoyed reading about the two topics together as well.

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half, Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers?

Share This Thread On Social Media: