Quantcast Iron Chef Cat Cora Planning New Walt Disney World Restaurant

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    buzz2001 Guest

Default Iron Chef Cat Cora Planning New Walt Disney World Restaurant

Cat Cora opening restaurant at Walt Disney World in 2010

The Orlando Sentinel's Cooking Gal Food Blog
    by Heather McPherson
    March 11, 2009

Just got off the phone with Iron Chef, Supermom Cat Cora. She’s working with Walt Disney World on a new signature restaurant concept for the theme park. Expect it to have the energetic, fresh, family-friendly vibe Cora is known for. I wouldn’t be surprised if the menu reflects her Greek and Mississippi roots. But don’t expect her to join the celebrity enclave in Central Florida. “I’m very much a California girl,” says Cora. “I love the east coast and I’m very lucky that my job involves a lot of travel — so I get to enjoy it often. But for our family, California is home.”

If the menu is anything like the food Cat Cora creates on the Food Network show Iron Chef America, then I can’t wait for this restaurant to open. The Orlando Sentinel reports they’re shooting for a 2010 opening.
    Last edited by Figment!; 03-13-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Properly cited article

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be great! I wonder if it will be a new restaurant or a replacement?
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    That would be great! I wonder if it will be a new restaurant or a replacement?
    I Would Guess It Would Be A New Restaurant In DTD In The Old PI Area

Post Thanks / Like

it may just be me, but i'm trying to think where a greek restaurant would fit. even in downtown disney.. i think they want to add stores and interactive stuff there.. but as i said, it may just be me and i could be wrong.
    once there was a princess who never let her imagination stop her from dreaming up scenes and stories as she walked around the park.
    so if you ever see someone talking to herself, that would be me.

Celestria
    p.s. i may be a disney fan, but i can't spell.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWFan View Post
    I Would Guess It Would Be A New Restaurant In DTD In The Old PI Area
    that would be the smart money....but there are other places that could use it.

The Magic Kingdom could definitely use it....but the atmosphere and no alcohol policy probably would not be compatible.

Animal Kingdom is still sorely lacking in viable dining options....though yak and yeti is a definite step in the right direction

PI/ Marketplace/ West Side would be fine

My personal desire? That they do in fact turn Virgin into an ESPNZone....and then this new restaurant can go into the spot vacated on the Boardwalk.....

this is some actual GOOD news coming out of Florida.....after a string of stupid cheapskate cost cutting boo-hoo moves

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

**Moderator Note**

Since this isn't a currently available Dining Option, I'm going to move this down to the News & Rumours forum for further discussion.

Please keep all hands, arms and legs inside the thread until it comes to a complete stop.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

A Greek restaurant would be good in WS, But I doubt it would go there. It will Probably be in DTD.
    Also, I hope Cat Cora puts at least one of her crazy ice cream concoctions on the menu! That would definitely be interesting!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds encouraging. I can't wait to see where they put this. My money would be on DTD/PI area.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IamBelle View Post
    A Greek restaurant would be good in WS
    just wondering, how would it fit in world showcase? where would it go? again, just wondering.. you may see something in it that i just missed.
    once there was a princess who never let her imagination stop her from dreaming up scenes and stories as she walked around the park.
    so if you ever see someone talking to herself, that would be me.

Celestria
    p.s. i may be a disney fan, but i can't spell.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celestria View Post
    just wondering, how would it fit in world showcase? where would it go? again, just wondering.. you may see something in it that i just missed.
    Actually, if it were in the Greek line, The Odyssey building would work well.

I honestly believe that it will be located in one of the PI slots, though. It would be competition for Wolfgang Puck.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

The new restaurant is going to Boardwalk, replacing Spoodles. It will be called: Kouzzina, and will open Fall 2009.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    My personal desire? That they do in fact turn Virgin into an ESPNZone....and then this new restaurant can go into the spot vacated on the Boardwalk.....

this is some actual GOOD news coming out of Florida.....after a string of stupid cheapskate cost cutting boo-hoo moves
    You may get your wish, kinda -

According to an article from Orlando Business Journal -
    Celebrity chef Cat Cora plans to work with Walt Disney World in opening a family restaurant at Disney’s Boardwalk Resort this fall.

Disney will own and operate the new restaurant, called Kouzzina by Cat Cora. It will replace Spoodles restaurant at the Boardwalk location.

Cora began working with Disney last year to create a video on demand series on healthy eating. She is a regular on the Food Network’s show Iron Chef America.

Disney said that Cora will create a menu for the new restaurant, which will feature Mediterranean cuisine. The Mississippi native was born to a family of Greek restaurateurs.

Cora is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in New York. She also is executive chef for Bon Appétit magazine. Cora has been a featured chef at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and at Disney’s California Food & Wine Festival at Disneyland Resort.
    Although, I must say I'm a a little bummed by this. My family and I have always enjoyed Spoodles. It doesn't surprise me though, because the restaurant never was all that crowded. I think the "Mediterranean" label confuses people because it's not a common type of restaurant food. Adding Cat Cora's name to the header may help. Regardless, I like Cat Cora, and I look forward to this new (changed) restaurant on the Boardwalk.

I agree too though, this is some GOOD news coming out of Florida after numerous bad ones.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Here's the press release:

Celebrity Chef Cat Cora To Open New Walt Disney World Restaurant

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    March 17, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla -- Chef Cat Cora and Disney are joining together to open an exciting new family dining restaurant at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort. Kouzzina by Cat Cora will feature a menu of Mediterranean-style cuisine that pays tribute to the chef’s Greek roots.

The restaurant, to be owned and operated by Disney, is scheduled to open by fall 2009 in the space currently occupied by Spoodles.

“I am pleased to welcome Cat Cora and her engaging new concept for Kouzzina to the Walt Disney World Resort,” said Jay Rasulo, chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “This collaboration between Cat and Disney represents a significant step in our ongoing commitment to offer unique culinary experiences and choices for our guests.”

As a Mississippi native born to a family of Greek restaurateurs, Cora grew up immersed in two different and flavorful cultures , and has taken from that unique background the kitchen “know-how” handed down through generations. The cuisine at Kouzzina (Greek for “kitchen” and pronounced “koo-zee-nah”) will showcase Mediterranean cuisine and Chef Cora’s philosophy to create simple yet sensational meals.

Cora said that the new restaurant will feature “time-honored recipes passed down from my ancestors, as well as my favorite Greek and Mediterranean dishes that my family loves.”

She began working with Disney in 2008 by creating a Disney Video on Demand series to showcase ways to help families develop more healthy eating habits. “I’m extremely excited about this latest extension of my relationship with Disney,” she said. “Together, we’re going to develop a truly amazing contemporary Mediterranean restaurant.”

The first and only female Iron Chef on Food Network's hit show “Iron Chef America,” Cora is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in New York. She also is Executive Chef for Bon Appétit magazine. In addition to hosting the instructional cooking demonstrations for Disney Video on Demand, Cora has been a featured chef at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and at Disney’s California Food & Wine Festival at Disneyland Resort.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another thread on this too...
    http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=151718

I'd love to eat at a place fashioned by Cat Cora but wish it would actually feature her as the head chef. Sure it'll be great to eat her recipes but eating HER food would be awesome.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

Post Thanks / Like

I do like Cat cora and it easy to see she is a big Disney fan- BUT i really liked Spoodles alot- that is going to be tough to lose such a great place.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

I ate at Spoodles for the first time last Sept and really enjoyed it and now they are changing it. Hopefully it will be as good or better.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I m very disappointed. We were just there this past weekend for 3 days and had breakfast at Spoodles each day. It has the best breakfast and atmosphere and great prices. We would start with our Bellinis. My DH loves the "italian" and had for 3 days in a row. The boys had thier Mickey waffles that are made with their own special batter that are so delicious they taste like cake. I love their Roasted veg.frittata with roasted thinly sliced potatoes, just perfect served with this yummy lemon poppy seed loaf. The loaf goes perfectly with their fantastic coffee that is made french pressed. The best coffee in WDW. We Love Spoodles. We were going to stay at the BW this fall for the FW fest. just so that we could have our breakfast there everyday. It just figures, as soon as we find the perfect place and location its being replaced. I'm sure Cat Coras restaurant will be fine, but its going to be another hard to get into, expensive dinning choice.
    1979 Honeymoon-off site
    1993 - 1998 off site & daytrips
    1995 PORS(was DL)
    2001 -2004GF x 5
    2005 April & Nov-.AKL
    2006 Jan -AKL /May-CBR/ Sept-POFQ,NovWL
    2007 Jan -Wl, Feb- CR,April -BC, May-BC.Sept POR,Oct BC Wl DEC
    2008 BC, F&W 08 ASS &FWCab
    2009 and more, too many to list

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting, but I'll miss Spoodles breakfasts. The all-you-can-eat and the hand pressed coffee is great.

Post Thanks / Like

not that big a fan of Cat Cora, and I absolutely LOVED Spoodles, so this is bad news for me...
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

Will this be a DDP restaurant??
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: