Quantcast Kid "Leashes"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kid "Leashes"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kid "Leashes"

I am taking my DD (age 6) to WDW next month. We are going by ourselves (just the 2 of us). I am afraid we might get seperated. We had some friends that took their DD who was the same age and he got lost. Obviously his mom was terrified when she couldn't find him (which she did later). I panick when I think of that happening to us. My mom suggested that we get one of those "kid leashes", but those are for really little kids and I don't think it would fit my DD. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    PrincessJadesMom
    January 1985-Off site
    April 2006-All Star Movies
    September 2007-Pop Century
    October 2010-Pop Century
    January 2012-Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean Cruise
    February 2012-All Star Movies
    October 2013-All Star Movies
    October 2014-Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the politically correct term for those things is tethers.

Post Thanks / Like

we got a wrist strap for my youngest and it worked really well. He is 5.5 and he didnt mind as he felt free from hand holding. It basically is a velcro strap on the wrist and a 4 foot long strap that has a "handle" on the parents side. So what we did was loop the handle part around a belt loop on us, and strapped his wrist up. no one was holding hands and no arguments about "my arms hurt" !
    We did have one person at the airport very loudly and ignorantly say "kids have parents, DOGS have leashes" and my reply was equally as loud and "yes that may be true but I KNOW where my child is and I AM keeping it that way, but thank you for your very uneducated comment."
    Good luck....and have a BLAST at Disney!
    Donna
    Mom to 5 very special and amazing kids.

1982 first trip to WDW
    1982-2009 multiple trips.
    Best Trip MAW trip with GKTW and AKL
    NEXT TRIP.. July 13-21, 2009 and Nov.30-Dec 5

Post Thanks / Like

I stare in awe every time I see a child on a leash. I have 2 young girls and we have went to WDW for years and have never use a "leash". We also have never had any problems with losing our children. This is just my opinion, but let your child have a bit of dignity and scrap the child "leash/teather/strap" idea. I always feel my children are at Disney to have fun, not to be dragged around like a mule.
    1999 AS Sports
    2000 AS Movies
    2001 Offsite
    2003 Offsite
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 POR
    Feb 08 Offsite Vacation Home
    Sep 08 POP
    Aug 09 AS Sports
    Feb 10 Nick Hotel
    Aug 10 POP

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why someone would put their child on a leash. Unless you've had severe issues in the past, it just seems mean. I know I wouldn't have wanted my parents to put a leash on me when I was little!

Post Thanks / Like

i am a proud user of the harness. i have a 2 and 3 year old, it's impossible to just "hold hands" and keep up with them. I use the harness for freedom so they aren't stuck in the stroller all day. I don't understand why people "stare in awe," because I am taking necessary precautions to prevent my kids from getting away from me, or from someone snatching them for that matter. I don't think my kids are going to run away, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a harness, they are a wonderful way to keep small kids safe without using a stroller.
    Last trips: August 06, May 07, November 08, June 09
    Next trip: May 21-30, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kadesha View Post
    i am a proud user of the harness. i have a 2 and 3 year old, it's impossible to just "hold hands" and keep up with them. I use the harness for freedom so they aren't stuck in the stroller all day. I don't understand why people "stare in awe," because I am taking necessary precautions to prevent my kids from getting away from me, or from someone snatching them for that matter. I don't think my kids are going to run away, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a harness, they are a wonderful way to keep small kids safe without using a stroller.
    Wouldn't you rather sit in a shady, comfortable stroller all day and be wheeled around than have to walk in the hot, Florida sun?

Post Thanks / Like

we have a hyperactive autistic child with MD and personally it really comes down to personal choice and safety for the individual family....we could use a wheelchair because of his disability. We chose to let him move as much as he can to prevent any outbursts that would happen in a public setting, and the strap keeps us in control which is exactly what some children need in order to feel safe. personal choice, and I would hope no one would judge.
    Donna

1982 first trip to WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I am more concerned about my little girls safety than I am about what people think about what I do. "iluvdizney2" I was wondering if you could tell me where you got your arm strap? That sounds like a great idea! Thanks!
    Last edited by Carol; 03-25-2007 at 06:41 AM.
    PrincessJadesMom
    January 1985-Off site
    October 2010-Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Magic View Post
    Wouldn't you rather sit in a shady, comfortable stroller all day and be wheeled around than have to walk in the hot, Florida sun?
    I sure would!! However, my 2 and 3 year olds HATE the stroller and want to walk! I'm not taking the chance of letting one or both of them get away from me or be snatched by a stranger. It gives them more freedom than a stroller.

Post Thanks / Like

I got it at Toys R Us...
    and as far as the rude coments go, I live with them all the time because ignorance is what people tend to rely on when they cant come up with educated conversation.
    When you deal with medical issues every day and people act this way you really need to let it roll off your back and take it with a grain of salt...so I will suggest to just let it roll of your back. Those people are not worth the time it takes for you to reply....
    Donna

1982 first trip to WDW

Post Thanks / Like

"kadesha" and "iluvdizney2", thank you very much for your answers and your support!!!
    PrincessJadesMom
    January 1985-Off site
    October 2010-Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add:

I get negative stares sometimes, but I get far more compliments from people! I dont know how many people have asked where I got them (they are backpacks shaped like puppy dogs, with the detachable wrist strap) and just gave a general compliment that they are a good idea this day and age. So don't think you'll be stared at like a freak or anything because it's not like that. It's sad to see that there are so many judgemental people on here who are against a form of children's safety!

Post Thanks / Like

Let me point out that there are tons of threads on these boards about people with strollers and how they are annoying and offensive. I too am proud to say that I used a harness for my son. Have you watched the news lately? I personally do not want to be the one to identify my child at the morgue.
    You can get a really neat harness at Target, it is made by Eddie Bauer. It is a little bear backpack with a pocket in it. The bear's tail has a wrist strap for parents. I never "dragged" my son, I held his hand and if he let go I knew that he could not get far. He loved his "back pack" and we put his park passes and door key in it so that he would feel "grown up"
    I don't know if your 6 year old will fit the harness. I also make sure that when I get to the park that I point out cast members and we also attach a card to his pants with our cell # on it.
    Enjoy your trip and don't let what others think bother you. If your child is safe that is all that matters.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I went to Disneyland in Anaheim I was 8 and my brother was 5 and if ONLY those pesky kid leashes had been invented (I am 38!) ... my parents would have used them ... or a LoJack since my brother managed to wander off at least 3 times! I say. leash, Lo-Jack, whatever it takes to keep the kids safe.

I am single and child-less (thank goodness) but I actually frown and get WAY more annoyed by kids running around by themselves knowing that WDW and DLR aren't always the safest places for kids on their own. My friend and I happened upon a little boy that looked about 3 years old crying his eyes out wandering through DTD last summer at Disneyland. It made me SICK to think that if it hadn't been us that stopped and took him into a store and called security what could have happened. After we turned him in we found a frantic and hysterical mother running through DTD screaming his name. SCARY.

As a parent it's not about personal freedom, it's about your kids safety!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been a fan of the leashes, but when we went last time my youngest was 2, and i bought one just in case it got real bad. It turns out, he was the BEST behaved of all my kids! I never had a problem with him, and he mostly stayed in the stroller anyhow. (Turns out my oldest, who was 9, was the one i wanted a leash for - to wrap around her neck.)
    Anyhow, i think it is all personal choice. However, i really can't see using one for a 6 year old. I think that would be more for your benefit than hers. does she know her name, phone number, your name, things like that? If she does i wouldn't worry. I would think it is more in her best interest to teach her about who the safe people are to go to if she gets lost at that age, and about stranger safety. I know that if my 7 year old gets separated from me i would be in a panick, but i know that she can talk to somebody and would get back to me eventually. The leashes i think benefit toddlers more so because they cannot talk or help themselves at all, and they could be easily picked up and carried away without a fuss. I would say that unless your child is very shy and cannot speak to adults, or unless she has some sort of handicap, i would forego the leash. If you are really worried another good option is some sort of ID. If she is afraid to talk to people or doesn't know her phone number you can just teach her that if she gets lost to show somebody her ID.

Post Thanks / Like

Having a daughter who is a stroke survivor has taught me not to judge others. I used to. Like many of us, I was one of those self-righteous, holier than thou people who couldn't understand why that healthy looking grade-schooler was in a stroller, or why that mom was using a harness with her child. I was a self-righteous know-it-all.

Then my daughter was born. And from her, I learned the power of the human spirit and the strength of determination to overcome almost impossible odds. The opinions of those who have nothing better to do than pass judgement just aren't all that important.

My daughter is now 8 and still needs a stroller sometimes, albeit one designed for special needs kids. Given the hours and hours of physical therapy, medical interventions, and sheer grit and courage it took her to walk at all, I'll gladly push her in a stroller when her leg gets tired.

We have used a harness to keep her safe until she was old enough to understand exactly what steps to take should she get separated from us. Now that she is older, she has cell phone numbers memorized and knows to find a CM the moment she realizes she's alone, but until recently, I couldn't be sure that the beauty of a butterfly or a rainbow reflected on a puddle wouldn't be enough to distract her just long enough to wander off. I'm still not sure, but at least I know that she has the ability to help us help her.

Both the stroller and the harness can and have had judgement passed on me as a parent and my daughter (whose disability is often not noticeable to the casual observer). But the lesson I have been taught is that what others think doesn't matter. As parents, we are all just doing the best we know how to do. Let's all try to remember that the next time we see something that makes us feel smug.
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Be respectful!

Moderator Alert!

I've had to remove some nasty, sarcastic comments from this thread, and from some who have been around INTERCOT long enough to know that we won't tolerate it. That is very disappointing!

You can give your thoughts and opinions while respecting others. Please do so!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.
    Donna

1982 first trip to WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears;1234232
    I've had to remove some nasty, sarcastic comments from this thread, and from some who have been around INTERCOT long enough to know that we won't tolerate it. That is very disappointing!

You [I
    can[/I] give your thoughts and opinions while respecting others. Please do so!
    thanks you, i, personally, was very offended at some of the remarks.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: